LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » surgery and lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: surgery and lyme
GEDEN13
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

i will be having surgery on may 10th.this will be my 3rd surgery on my right knee,in less than 3 year's.

after each of the past 2 surgery's,it seemed as if my lyme came alive and went wild in my body.(it did)

i am wondering if any of you have had the same experience?

was it because of the trauma of surgery? or was it because of all the differant medication's i get during and after the surgery?

is there some way to counter act this? dealing with post-op and the lyme surge at the same time is very difficult.

thank's up front , gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary~

Here's my story....In September of 2003 I got a steroid shot in my knee. Three weeks later I started falling apart (lyme symptoms--although I didn't know that then).

December 12, 2003 I had knee surgery to shave off some damaged cartiledge and do a lateral release on my patella.

From Dec. 24 on I had intense burning pain over my whole body...

What I had figured out was that I had dormant lyme in my body (perhaps from a bite 10 years previous). Bb likes to hide out in joints. The steroid shot to the knee suppressed the immune function in that joint to allow the bacteria to multiply, and wreck havoc on my body...hence my symptoms starting up 3 weeks after the steroid shot.

After my knee surgery, I was in the worst pain of my life due to the Vancomycin, an antibiotic that my surgeon gave me. That was a herx reaction to that antibiotic. I didn't know it at the time, and neither did my surgeon (he is going to learn about it soon, however!)

I had a uterine ablation surgery in Sept. 2004. I did not have a herx reaction, for I had not been given an antibiotic at that time.

Since I have figured out that I have lyme, and have pieced together what happened to me...these are the conclusions I've come to.

So, in my case, it wasn't the trauma of the surgery that flared my lyme it was the antibiotic.

In your case...did you know you had lyme with your first two surgeries? Were you on antibiotics prior to the surgeries? Or were you experiencing a herx reaction to the antibiotic given during the surgery? Were you given steroids during your surgeries?

Good luck.....I'm not even bothering to see an orthopedic doc again until I get my lyme cleared up.

I am going to send a letter to my orthopedic doc (since he moved) explaining what happened to me. And I also hope to tell all the orthopedic docs in town to watch out for patients falling apart after steroid shots or after surgery!!!

Tina

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had very similar experiences. But once you have been on abx and other killer type meds, the problem after a surgery is more likely from a congested liver that feels just like some Lyme symptoms. A body, if you have been on extensive medications is most likely running total overload and we need to see to it that you help your liver/kidney/skin/colon, etc. to unload as much as possible.

After many medicatiions for Lyme and then because of surgery, our organs have a tough time unless they get some serious help.

A good start is hot water with 1/2 lemon,sipping slowly, at least twice a day; while sipping it accompanying it with a gentle massage that you can do yourself in the liver area. The area for liver and gallbladder is on the right side right below the last rib of the rib cage. A little massage, and for a few minutes works wonders!

Make certain that you take enough agents to have more than one BM, preferably 3, by upping all liver support agents and also upping magnesium (reducing it to the point of no diarrhea. Using all the neurotoxin elimination agents (see www.neuraltherapy.com/articles) possible.

Livit 1 by Ayush is a good liver support. Rentone for kidney. Both are ayurvedics.
Search Ayush.

Most reactions following meds are really caused by a congested liver! If you are killing critters, you need to help them out of the body. That does not happen automatically, because most Lyme afflicted do not have the wherewithall any longer for the body to do it on its own.

Get colonics as soon as you can after surgery, if you really must have surgery. Get professional lymph drainages (Vodder is a good technique). We use the KM240 for anything ever arising stagnating the body.

It's tough to have to do this when you are feeling miserable to begin with. But start with something I mentioned. I always love the lemon, followed by microcurrent works wonders. At least do the hand massage (gently). And please don't take another drug and get off the pain pills and any other pharma stuff as soon as you can. They are killers to an already sick body - the anesthetic takes weeks to leave the system.

There are many more organ support agents that people have talked about here.

It is very possible that a few Lyme bacteria come out of the woodsworks when you stress the system via surgery. But most of what makes you feel miserable is the toxicity overload to the liver, etc. Depression, nausea, nigthsweats, agressiveness, burning of the skin, etc. = Congested Liver!

I have noticed that many people posting here are missing the boat because they are not assisting their eliminating organs who are screaming for help - not a Herxheimer!

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My body kept Lyme pretty much under control until I shattered my wrist. Two surgeries later and all hell broke loose. But I wasn't taking abx.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have been taking 400mgs. of doxy,also.

for the effect's of that(doxy) and other painkiller's,i am taking acidophilus ,milk thistle and activated charcaol.daily..

am i on the right track,to detox my liver?

gigi,

if i start taking the stuff you recommend ,before surgery,will that help?

, gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On this subject - any thoughts for my five yr. old - he needs to go under general anestesia soon for an MRI.

Any thoughts on how to help him detox?

thansk
paisley

Gary - best of luck with your knee operation. Hope you finally get some resolution!

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

up..one more time...

------------------

Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many times if you have surgery you are automatically given IV abx so you don't pick anything up in the operating room...

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recipegirl05
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6729

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Recipegirl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Gary,

Just saw this. When I had dental surgery, they gave me an IV of Amoxicillin. (This was all pre-Lyme diagnosis, but I felt better the next day & didn't have a clue why.)

Don't know if you would respond to Amoxicillin or not. Some folks don't. Consider asking your doctor about it. If you're not allergic to it, (it's cheap) maybe your doc would do that for you.

Surely with your LD diagnosis, he would give you some type of ABX IV to keep the LD under control. Just a thought.

Take extra good care of yourself prior to the surgery. Everyone's given good advice. Perhaps drinking a tasty protein shake every morning to ensure good protein levels for healing might help.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 222 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Good luck with your knee surgery. Speedy recovery.

Speculation on 'events'un-related to the knee, and infection(s) due to surgery:

The expression of 'lyme taking-off' more probably is the immune system, and natural inflammatory and other natural processes kicking-in to stave-off infection(s), and healing reaction, rather than Bb going wild, even though it probably is contibuting, esp. if a steroid is needed, I would rank-speculate.

What might be good to do, form an un-related experience with a pic-line infection:

Had self-Dx'd pic-line infection that I nipped in the bud by taking a product called,"T-cell Formula", by the company called Ecological Formulas.

Had burning sensation starting at entrance to arm that, over 4 days, worsened, and by 4th day was deep in my arm(I assumed my vein(duh), AND that had traveled 2/3 up the arm(still deep). A constant sensation. The small perimenter-circle of redness around entrance site of i.v. line due to pic-line irritation due to inevitable movement of line against skin,etc. became wider, and also burnt(hot sensation there), the burning having advanced up, and deep in the arm over 4 days.

By 4th day, I was having armagaeddeion-oid anxiety about an eventual 'heart attack'from this sensation daily advancing up my arm, and with no 'quid' for the medical 'pro' to get something for it.

I had NO VISIBLE RED LINE UP THE ARM, a classical sign of other types of infection(s), from which without medical attention, one can go 'night-night'.

Out of desperation I got a bottle of this T-cell stuff. I forget the rationale for why I got specifically this kind of product.

Result:

2-4 hours after taking the stuff, I felt a noticeable decrease in intensity of the burning, and irritation sensations deep in arm. This 'line of deep, vibrative-burn-irritation' sensation shortened a little bit from the 2/3 'rds length, but not much. A decreased intensity of the sensation at the entrance of the pic-line.
By the second day the arm-sensation was down,say '70 %' (wild guess), and anxiety down a little. I knew I was on to something here, but no clue as to why/how come.

The short of it:
By the 4th-5th day, line of deep 'vibrative burn-irritation' for the lenth of the vein in the arm went down by 90%, and days later gone 95-97%, including the perimeter-circle-ring of red/warmness around the entrance hole of line gone by 95-97%.

By day 7,infectional sensations completely gone, except for superficial irritation at the level of only the skin at the entrance hole for the pic-line, and the funky feeling of the pic-line in the arm.

Again, while this was not my knee, infection, and further inflammation is the point, and how I resolved this.

On the other hand, the hole(s)/ or long scars in the knee are opening(s) orders of magntude greater than a pic-line hole, and obviously the T-cell formula alone is not going to do the job of antibiotics and post-op care; nonetheless, this or even a similar formula might be adjunctive, and shorten convalescence from surgery.

An infectious disease doc or an immunologist knowledgeable in the use of this and similar formulatons would know almost for sure, if this or a similar prep. would do the job(s)
of shortening convalescence/healing.

If I had a small,surgical hole in my arm, and this T-cell prep. did what it did, then it or a like-prep. should do the same.

One key thing is to keep circulation going on there for the purpose of processing tissue debris out and nutrients, and immune sys. and healing stuff coming into the would.

In the event you think you'll have to do a '911' or go to the emerg. room, call the ANY hospital e.r.'s non-emerg. number in the e.r., and ask the staff what to do about whatever's going on. I did this when I had the pic-line problem above, and they were helpful. No trip to the e.r.

pq

[This message has been edited by pq (edited 27 April 2005).]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement