LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » minocycline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: minocycline
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started mino 100mg bid last week and had to stop after 31/2 days due to huge herx....LLMD's office said have 3 good day w/ mino before restarting...
I made it through 2 good days and then crashed again today.

Is this common with mino?
Any comment experience feedback?

Thanks

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reduce the dose to lets say 2 x 50mg and continue.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP PLEASE
Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Minocycline has very good absorption in to all the nooks and crannies including the BBB.

I never made it longer than a week and that was a huge struggle.

If you can handle it, it's a really good abx for Bb.

Corgilla

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the herx caused actual paralysis the first time I did it.

A Lymenetter who must remain anonymous suggested starting mino in very low doses, around 25-50mg per day. Whether that interests you is entirely between you and your doctor.

Also, I'm one of the people who can't take it because of side effects. The herx is normal, but if you see psychological side effects develop, especially severe anxiety, don't feel obligated to keep going. There are always other options out there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only herx with a drug has been on mino and it came on day 2 and day 4. I stayed the course (200mg) per day and have been fine since then. Hang in there. Good luck.
Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

LLMD called me at home tonight and said take mino 100 mg every other day....
He said for some, that is enough
to shake things up beyond the BBB and minimize the psychological effects.

Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi achey,

I was on Mino for a year, took it 100 mgs 3x a week then went up to 100 mgs a day. I herxed a lot on it and had very bad anxiety and some other symptoms that were hard to take.

I am now on treatment for Babs. If I ever were to go back on Mino I would only do very low doses for myself.

Goodn luck to you.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline 100mg 2 x day seems tobe kicking the crap outta my symptoms. They come and go still but come less and go more.

The initial herx was horrible. Lasted 10-14 days but seems to have been worth it. I am continuing on this.

I am also on ketek and plaquenil with flagyl pulsed 1x month at my menses.

robi

[This message has been edited by robi (edited 28 April 2005).]

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HudsonValleyGal
Member # 5108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HudsonValleyGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking 200 mg minocycline a day, along with IM bicillin, plaquenil, and IV Gamunex. The herxes on minocycline are something else! Wow. I was so woozy, feverish, poorly coordinated, dizzy, and emotional in my first few weeks on minocycline. I've been on it for just over a month now, and it is starting to be easier to tolerate. I'm hoping it will help my cognitive symptoms.

HVG

Posts: 41 | From Dutchess County, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spotted pony
Member # 4963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spotted pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Achey,
Sorry to hear about your trouble with Minocycline.

I have found it to be extremely effective, but had to start slow. I started at 1 every other day, then 1 a day, then 2.... and very slowly went up. I backed off when I got a big herx.

Now I am combining with Zithromax, and still herx, but nothing I can't handle.

BTW, I use brand name Minocin, not Minocycline. I cannot tell you if there's a difference or not, but have heard that there may be. (Brand name is more expensive, natch!)

Hope you feel better!

~~Spotted

Posts: 72 | From Loudoun county, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement