LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Updated Hormone Replacement Info

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Updated Hormone Replacement Info
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learn the Facts About
Bioidentical Hormones
Possible Peril Found in Menopause Progesterone Cream!

Your Menopause Choices!

What You Need to Know!

Due to the media promotion of bioidentical hormones from celebrities, it is of utmost importance that you educate yourself about this pressing issue.

Are you ready for bioidentical hormones? Find out the facts!

Fact One:

Bioidentical hormones have severe toxic side effects. Every testing laboratory has observed the toxic side effects of bioidentical hormones, synthetic hormones and natural progesterone and phytoestrogen creams. It's documented!

Fact Two:

Bioidentical hormones create dependence and your body slows down production of your own natural hormones. Guess what effect this has on your body? Well, if your hormones are not being secreted in proper amounts because you are dependent on a hormone, then the only thing your body can do is age. The hope of anti-aging is just that "a hope".

Fact Three:

Bio-identical hormones are synthesized from wild yam and soy, making it unnatural. For example, a carrot, which is synthesized, is no longer a carrot - it is a synthetic substance.

Fact Four:

When a compounding lab makes a bioidentical hormone specifically for you through a health provider, you start using it with great hopes. It is a fact that you may need to have the formula changed several times before finding one formula that stabilized your hormones and then the results are only temporary. As your body deals with stressful situations, your hormone needs change. Sometimes, drastically! Then you need a different formula because your body is confused and can't make the adjustment itself. It is so bombarded with supposedly bioidentical hormones that it is slowing down in doing what it is supposed to do. The body gets lazy, the adrenal cortisol levels become abnormal. You then get more symptoms.

Fact Five:

Possible symptoms of using bioidentical hormones are:

Weight gain around the buttocks, thighs, middle waist and abdomen.
Depression
Facial hair growth
Hair loss
Fatigue
Fact Six:

"The ONLY hormones that are bioidentical or natural

are the ones your body makes."

Bio-Identical Hormones vs. Homeopathy...

Homeopathy is approved by the FDA, and in 200 years of effective use, no side-effects or toxicity exists.

NuFem Homeopathic Hormone Rejuvenation has a 95% success rate for women with complete hysterectomies, PMS, post-partum depression, hot flashes, mood swings, and fatigue. I recommend you start with a NuFem Saliva Test to get base line hormone levels.

NuFem is the conscious choice, as homeopathy is the catalyst for optimum health and wellness.

Please read the published articles on this website for more information about homeopathy, view my non-commercial presentation by clicking on our heart on the home page and view our product catalog. For NuFem homeopathic hormone rejuvenation information click here.

Herbs and Menopause...

I like herbs very much but not as a serious answer to hormonal issues. Certain herbs can be effective for temporarily helping hot flashes and other hormonal issues, however, they do not address the cause of the problem. On the other hand, homeopathy does address the cause by re-educating the body to make its own hormones, even if you have had a complete hysterectomy. The reason I created the homeopathic NuFem formulas is because they can be used short term without dependency.

NuFem formulas re-established communication between the entire endocrine system.

More Facts....

Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is based on the incorrect assumption that your body becomes incapable of producing appropriate amounts of hormones simply because we reach a certain age. In reality, hormone problems are a function of how healthy you are, not how old you are. Another incorrect assumption is that your body can not make hormones if you have had a hysterectomy. It is a fact that hormones can be stimulated to healthy levels even in this situation. Two thousand before and after NuFem saliva tests on hundreds of doctor's patients have proven this with a non-commercial independent laboratory.

One of the worst things you can do to your body is use hormones, including biodentical, natural progesterone creams and HGH. This ages your body, as it gets lazy and slows down producing its own hormones.

Hormones are not the only substance that can be harmful. We must even be careful using digestive enzymes. The more enzymes you take the lazier the body gets in producing it's own enzymes. They are helpful for short-term therapy until you locate the cause of your problems. Yes, it is true that as we age our body makes less digestive enzymes like HCL, however, this is a product of how we internalize emotions and stress along with our diet. .

You will be hearing more information in 2004 about hormone replacement and the health problems it causes, including natural hormones. Remember this and you will not be hooked by false claims from anyone.

Basically, we need to take matters into our own hands through educate, and self-empowerment. Then we will make wise choices. Using any hormones on or in your body will undoubtedly create symptoms, toxify your body and increase your biological age because your body develops dependence for these hormones. You see, our "Biological Age" usually does not match our chronological age. People who are not following a healthy lifestyle and eating well will have an older "Biological Age" of the body. Sometimes, so much older that pathology occurs and death is right around the corner.

Everyone can benefit from a NuFem Saliva test to see your hormone baseline levels and a Liver/Gallbladder/Blood comprehensive detoxification system. This will decrease your biological age!

Please enjoy my website, as it is my sincere desire to empower to you make wise, healthy choices that produce vitality and optimum health.

Theresa I. Dale, Ph.D., C.C.N., N.D.
President
The Wellness Center for Research & Education, Inc.
Dean
International College of Naturopathy

Possible Peril Found in Menopause Cream

Published New York Times
By ANAHAD O'CONNOR

Published: March 30, 2004

A popular cream that eases the symptoms of menopause exposes women to higher levels of the hormone progesterone than has been commonly thought, researchers have found.

Pro-Gest, one of more than two dozen creams containing natural progesterone, is a widely used alternative to synthetic hormone therapies that have been linked to a higher risk of breast cancer and heart disease. Millions of tubes of progesterone cream are sold annually/

Because they can be purchased over the counter, the creams are generally considered less potent, and therefore less harmful, than federally regulated progesterone pills.

But research reported Thursday has raised questions about the creams' safety. A group of women that used Pro-Gest to relieve hot flashes and night sweats and a group that took the hormone pill Prometrium later had the same levels of progesterone in their bloodstreams, said Dr. Anne Hermann, who conducted the study at Bassett Healthcare in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Dr. Hermann presented the results at a conference of the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics in Florida.

"Millions of women are using these creams, thinking that because they're natural and sold over the counter they are safe," she said. "The reality is that they are putting themselves at risk."

However, Dr. Deborah Moskowitz, director of research and development education for Emerita, the division of Transitions for Health Inc. that makes Pro-Gest, said there was no solid evidence that natural progesterone carried health risks.

"The fact is that progestin and progesterone are different," Dr. Moskowitz said.

The findings come at a time when hormone use is sharply declining. In 2002, the Women's Health Initiative study found a heightened risk of breast cancer and heart disease among women who used a common hormone therapy. That study looked at synthetic progesterone, or progestin, taken in combination with estrogen to relieve hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause.

Natural progesterone is considered to carry some of the same health risks as its synthetic version, "until research shows otherwise," said Susan Cruzan, a spokeswoman for the Food and Drug Administration.

"We're asking manufacturers to do further studies," Ms. Cruzan said. "Until we have that information, women who use any of these products should work with their doctors to use the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration of time."

Dr. Moskowitz said that the Women's Health Initiative "did not look at natural progesterone, and it didn't even look at progestin by itself."

She also said there were flaws in Dr. Hermann's research. The study looked at women who applied 40 milligrams of Pro-Gest twice a day, she said, a higher dose than recommended. On its Web site, the company recommends a dose of 20 milligrams twice day, but says that women can use as much as 40 milligrams twice a day. The researchers said the dosage used by their subjects was consistent with the directions on the cream's label.

Dr. Hermann, however, said that the dosage issue was moot because many women use the creams like body lotion, slathering them on without regard to dosage.

www.wellnesscenter.net

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi, my gfriend put me on to something called menosense (natural supplement) Took care of my hotflashes thank goodness. Hope this supplement is on your "ok" list..
Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey gigi- Where do you get this nonsense? At no point in that lenghty piece does it mention the cornerstone of HRT-bio-identical estradiol such as is found in patches like Climara or Vivelle. Progesterone is only used 10-12 days of the month to cause a withdrawl bleed. Maybe herbs work for you but for a year I tried every herb or homeopathic remedy for menopause and got no relief. For me it's bio-identical HRT, which means transdermal estradiol patches and cyclic progesterone. And by using these hormones I am protecting my bones and heart. Yes, they are identical to that made by the human body. Soy is only the starting material.

Janet

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and for those of us with thyroid conditions soy is a big no-no anyway....
coconut oil is supposed to be great for perimenopause tho..it's a medium trans saturated oil, adn an antibacterial etc...

it's been recommmended by my endocronologist since i can't do soy products ....

interesting reading on google about it's benefits to the body...

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my own experience- Dr C had put me on all the hormones based on my 24hr urine test results. Ten months later when I had started seeing a muscle tester doc, my body said "Harmful" to each any every one I was taking. Except, synthroid.

I stopped all of them immediately. Wasn't making any progress anyway. This doc using chiro and pressure point techniques worked on my hormones.

Now making real progress in all areas. Janet, from my experiences, Gigi has alot to share with many in this group. Please don't attack her views.

Pam

Posts: 6479 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa,

Why is soy contraindicated for people with thyroid conditions?

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'mm not sure..I just know that my thyroid dr told me that now that i'm entering perimenopause I had to stay away from soy products..that it can interfere with the thyroid,and when I did a search under google , i found some articles about it tooo...

I know when I tried it befroe he had told me this, i got very ill on soy milk....

LIsa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Janet Thomas, kindly scroll by. I do not like to be insulted. I post things that I have found through close connection with my former Lyme doctor (who we do not need any longer) which have been found valuable for everyone to know and to be aware of.

You do not need to agree or disagree with me.
Much of what I have posted has saved many people from more problems. One has even gotten rid of her cancer connected to Lyme.

So hold on to your horses. And in the future scroll by my posts if they upset you.
Awareness has never hurt anyone.

And if you do not understand homeopathy, I would keep quiet or first find out how it works. There is a definite value to it. It is an old science that is used today still everywhere in the world. I have received it many times. I am taking it now - pain pill/morphine homeopathics to get rid of the residue I have still in my body from the many pain pills I had to take when I first developed Lyme in 1996. I am also being detoxed from antibiotic residue via abx homeopathics. Go read Materia Medica by Boericke and inform yourself on homeopathics before you try to run people down.

I am darn tired of it, and if it were for just people like you I would have stopped posting here years ago.

Well, I won't, because I know that there are some people that appreciate what I can share through experiencing it myself in the first place.

To those, who wish me to shut up, I dare say - get lost and seek info elsewhere and hope to heck it gets you where you need to go - to get well.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,
I hope you NEVER stop posting here. Your knowledge is invaluable to a newbie like me.

I pay attention to everything you write and when the "search" function is working, I try to search all your past messages.

Please do not take offense (although I know it must be hard not to) to negative posts.
Just know that there are many of us who are "just reading" every day that you are helping.

Posts: 74 | From MS | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi

Just ignore your critics. I wouldn't even justify them a response. Your information is too valuable to many of us. Continue to post please.

Posts: 108 | From CA usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suttles
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suttles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GIGI I thank you for posting.
I think that what ever form of medicine we need to help each other which is what you are doing.

If we were not open minded some of us would believe the Drs we have seen and then may never know we have lyme.

Ya know since there is no lyme in out state.

I don't always understand things but I need to do something for my hormones. The night sweats are waking me up.
I just got the FSH test back and it was 137.
So I need to find something.

Thanks Again for caring enought to help.

Suttles

Posts: 67 | From moving soon | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,

I didn't attack you, I disagreed with the material you posted. I presented a different viewpoint.

I have used and studied homeopathy for many years and, at times, have found it useful.

The following is simply not true-

Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is based on the incorrect assumption that your body becomes incapable of producing appropriate amounts of hormones simply because we reach a certain age. In reality, hormone problems are a function of how healthy you are, not how old you are. Another incorrect assumption is that your body can not make hormones if you have had a hysterectomy

Post all you want but allow those of us with a different viewpoint to disagreed. I thought this site was about learning.

Actually I feel I am the one being attacked because I disagreed and called nonsense nonsense.

Janet

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

I"ve disagreed many times with what gigi says and have gotten the same treatment...she doesnt' like to be disagreed with .

I agree that it is ok to disagree with posts, people do it to me all the time....we all have our own opinions..that's what makes the world go around..we'e not all alike, and we're not all going to have the same opinions....

gigi's opinions are just as important as any one elses..but everyone else also have the right to disagree with them...

Lisa

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do know one thing, there is a great deal of difference in bio-identical hormones and those my gyno gave me when I first started showing signs of severe menopause symptoms a couple of years ago.

I was doing OK on what the gynocologist gave me, but then a nutritional medicine doc I saw insisted that I change to bio-identical hormones. I have not been right since I made this change, and finally gave up. I went back to my gyno and asked him to help me get regulated on what he was giving me before the change was made. I tried making the change back on my own, but started having lots of symptoms.

Gyno also disagreed with the fact that the nutritional medicine doc was giving me double the doses of progesterone I should be taking and they were prescribed 25 days a month instead of 12. He said this could dramatically raise my risk of breast cancer.

I have learned my lesson and will stick with the specialist in this area. The new trend of taking bio-identical hormones isn't for everyone.

Certainly not for me.

Anybody who does this, proceed with caution. Make sure your doc knows what he/she is doing.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi, thank you for posting and trying to help folks. I also want to thank Janet for posting another point of view.

I have neuro Lyme and am having severe menopausal symptoms (5 hot flashes per hour) which coincide with the cessation of my periods, at age 54. I thought I could just get through this period, but I started getting soaking wet all the time when out of the house, and the hot flashes seem to exacerbate my neuro symptoms. I just made an appt. to look into bio-identical "natural" hormones.

I appreciate any and all information, and conflicting opinions, on this topic.

However, Gigi, I would like to ask you to explain your comment that health, not age, causes these symptoms. Could you also direct me to some readings on this?

I have been sick for some time, but never had hot flashes. You have to experience this to understand the dramatic severity. It is so closely correlated with the change in menstruation and other changes related to age, that I really do wonder about your position. Thank you!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on bio-identical hormones for almost 7 years and don't plan on getting off. This was all pre-Lyme. My gyno told me she has patients begging to let them stay on it for over 10 years, and she has no problem with that.

They made the difference for me in a few days. The panic attacks were gone, apparently induced by low hormone levels. The severe memory loss, dryness and itching, mood swings were gone too. I thought I had Alzheimer's at one point, I was that bad.

I am well aware of the risks, and get annual mammos and ultrasounds. My quality of life is at stake and I'm not willing to mess with that, especially now with Lyme.

It's obviously a personal decision, but all of my friends who got off hormones are now back on.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

It clearly spells it "your Menopause choices"

Kindly read the whole article, the source, the website is all included. None of the post are my words.

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Bio-identical HRT-what I have learned in 8 years of studying this-This info is for postmenopausal women only NOT premenopausal.

The current fad of continous progesterone is bunk, progesterone creams are bunk, progesterone is not normally present in a premenopausal women all the time only the second half of the cycle. Think PMS.

Estradiol (E2) deficiency is what causes menopausal symptoms. Many supposed bio-identical creams have a tri-est formula which is mostly estriol (E3) and progesterone and are used daily. E3 is the estrogen found in high levels during pregancy only. Estriol is not good for relieving menopausal symptoms. Progesterone should not be used daily.

Estrogen patches (Climara, Vivelle-Dot) contain bio-identical E2 and come in different strengths. Start low and work up. They do not contain soy. Soy is used only as a starting material to produce the E2.

Use only ONE hormone to start until you feel comfortable with that. Start with E2. Add only ONE hormone at a time so you can gauge what is happening.

Add bio-identical progesterone for 10-12 days a month. Most start the first of the month to make it easier to remember.

Do not take hormones orally. Patches are transdermal and progesterone can be used vaginally.

Testosterone may be needed but you need a specialist to advise you on that.

Premarin is horse hormones not human hormones, they are slightly different. Provera is dangerous. These are the hormones that got bad publicity in the news.

Lyme probably caused my early and difficult menopause. Prior to that my body kept Lyme sorta in check.

Without HRT I don't think I'd have a chance to beat Lyme.

Janet

janet thomas
Member # 7122

oops, posted twice.

[This message has been edited by janet thomas (edited 29 April 2005).]

lla2
Member # 2364

here's the info I received when i emailed my endocronologist about why people with thyroid conditions should be staying away from soy products...we discussed this at my last visit because of my entering perimenopause:

Quiz: How Much Do You Know About Thyroid Disease
!

A Look at the Dangers of Soy to the Health of Your Thyroid
Health and nutrition magazines tout the benefits of soy as a cure-all for women's health, hormonal problems, cancer prevention, weight loss, and many other problems. The reality, however, is that promotion of soy may be more a matter of business and marketing, rather than recommendations based on sound scientific evidence.

Isoflavones, the key components of soy that make them so potent as a posible substitute for hormone replacement, mean that soy products, while touted as foods and nutritional products -- often are used and act as like a hormonal drug.

If you have a diagnosed or undiagnosed thyroid problem, or a history of autoimmune disease, overconsumption of soy isoflavones can potentially trigger a thyroid condition. Soy foods can worsen an existing diagnosed thyroid problem in many people. Sponsored Links
Thyroid and Coconut Oil
Research on hypothyroidism, weight- loss, metabolism, & thyroid health www.coconutoil.com

Hypothyroidism?
If you're a woman over 35, your thyroid may not be the problem. www.womentowomen.com

Thyroid Herbal Supplement
An Effective Herbal Treatment To Boost T4 Production Without Drugs
NaturesBrands.com
In both cases the symptoms such as fatigue, weight gain, and depression or moodiness are often overlooked and hard to diagnose.

A recent study found that as millions of Americans -- perhaps as many as more than 10 million -- have an undiagnosed thyroid condition. The vast majority of thyroid patients are women over 40. This is the same group that, responding to marketing claims that promote soy as helping to prevent breast cancer, reducing the risk of high cholesterol or heart disease, or as a treatment for symptoms of menopause, are turning to soy foods and isoflavone supplements in vast numbers.

Here is more information regarding soy and its relationship to the thyroid.

FDA's Soy Experts Speak Out Against Soy

"there is abundant evidence that some of the isoflavones found in soy, including genistein and equol, a metabolize of daidzen, demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid. This is true for a number of species, including humans.

Additionally, isoflavones are inhibitors of the thyroid peroxidase which makes T3 and T4. Inhibition can be expected to generate thyroid abnormalities, including goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis. There exists a significant body of animal data that demonstrates goitrogenic and even carcinogenic effects of soy products. Moreover, there are significant reports of goitrogenic effects from soy consumption in human infants and adults."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement