LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LLMD is Pissied off!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LLMD is Pissied off!
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I talked to my LLMD today after not seeing him for 6 weeks.

In that time I went to another doctor and she gave me an antifungal and a nasal spray.

This is to help cure the MCS and constant vertigo and ear pain. She says that I probabbly had fungus in there.

So I decided to tell the LLMD that today and he said "you have to decide what you will do!"

He then said that If I wanna try the anti-fungals to stop the anti-biotics that are helping me. Then anti-fungals are tough on the liver.

He said if I wanna continue to see him that I have to have my liver checked every week now.

He doesnt like when his patient go from doctor to doctor.

I told him I want different opionions and to keep trying medications and treatments untill something works.

Please Please ..... is this worth it?

I have had this vertigo and severe MCS and sinus troubles for a year now with no resolve. Im trying to get through to him that I do want to feel better and rid myself of this symptom...

thanks everyone

[This message has been edited by lymeHerx001 (edited 28 April 2005).]

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElizabethP
Member # 6819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElizabethP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Augh!

[This message has been edited by ElizabethP (edited 28 April 2005).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see why your LLMD might be a little bit upset.

Personally I always tell my LLMD in advance if I'm gonna see other doctors...just to make sure there's no conflict.

Afterall, the LLMD is providing the main treatment.

Don't go on drugs prescribed by another doctor the LLMD doesn't know about. It might be counterproductive.

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie-MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I obviously wasn't there, based on your story it sound to me as if your LLMD has a valid point. I have read a lot of posts here about people on long-term antifungals who do have their liver and blood levels checked routinely. Mixing meds could be very dangerous.
Posts: 307 | From Byfield, MA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it he is very opinionated.

That being said he does have a right to be if he is treating chronically ill people like us.

He is allready going against conventional medicine by prescibing long term
anti-biotics.

He doesnt see the picture when it comes to the possibility of yeast though.

There is a doctor that works with him,, Dr. M
a naturopath. She said that there is probabbly yeast up there too but it is difficult to find a doctor that wants to treat it.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't safely take antifungals (like fluconazole) with certain antibiotics, like macrolides such as Biaxin. The fluconazole increases the blood levels of the abx. Maybe that's what he was referring to. Both drugs go through the same liver enzyme system and the anitbiotic gets backed up, sort of.

Did you have a culture that showed yeast in your sinuses? We thought at one point that might be causing our child's sinus issues, but she had a culture and at one point a minor surgery too. I don't think anyone should take an antifungal on speculation only.

Was the nasal spray Flonase, or other steroid spray? This could possibly aggravate your Lyme, although it would probably be alright while on abx.

Finally, there can be many reasons for vertigo and ear pain. I've had these problems for almost 23 years, often accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Lyme treatment has done wonders for this, although the "herx" reactions I had at first made my vertigo much worse for awhile. I didn't really believe this problem was Lyme, but it turns out that it must be.

Things that have helped me include sudafed and Afrin. Holding my nose and blowing can clear the system and put air in my ear canals. Sleeping on the side where there is less fluid in my ears helps too. There are bracelets you can wear for vertigo too.

Has anyone examined your ears and found fluid? Do you have allergies? Do you get infections in your hears or sinuses?

I think it is fine to get opinions from different doctors but I always make sure each doctor knows about the other's opinions and I double check my decisions with them. Most important, make one doctor your main doctor and have that doctor coordinate for you. Tell this coordinating doctor if other doctors disagree, and have that doctor help you resolve the difference and guide your treatment. This could be an LLMD, or someone else.

Finally, remember that doctors worry about liability. The LLMD is giving you abx and may need to prescribe other drugs (including antifungals) that can affect your liver. If you develop a problem with your liver, while taking meds prescribed by another doctor, the LLMD may still be afraid of consequences. LLMD's are under a lot of scrutiny these days. This may be why the LLMD needs so much control, and needs to test you to keep you (and him/her) safe.

Good luck and hope your vertigo gets better soon.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymeHerx001:

He doesnt see the picture when it comes to the possibility of yeast though.

I believe you, but it's hard for me to believe this! ..???????

Makes no sense whatsoever that a dr can prescribe long term abx and not see that yeast could be a major problem without proper treatment.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

How long have you been seeing this LLMD? Which treatments have you been on? How often do you rotate treatments? Are you on an anti-yeast protocol, such as nystatin? Do you take some sort of liver support? Are you taking any kind of antacid, since acid reflux can cause your symptoms, or do you have bartonella symptoms?

It's tough to tell what's going on without more details.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Ive been seing this LLMD for almost 2 years.

It took 6 months to find an anti-biotic that I would herx on.

I herxed on biaxin.
At first I couldnt take full dose.
The herx was from hell.

It took another 4 monhts to work up to a full dose. I started doing a sauna at the time and that helped.

Then they replaced the wooden boards in the sauna with PVC mats. After a week I developed wicked MCS with post nasal drip and ear pain.

That was last May, one year ago. This symptom has been with me since.

I went off the biaxin last summer just to crash. I didnt help my sinuses and vertigo.

So in September I still took the biaxin and around January he gave me flagyl. I felt better but no herx.

One month of flagyl, then a month of only the Biaxin.

Last month he put me on Plaquinil and nothing.

When I say better I mean physically.
My sinuses were all the while screwed up and I have the constant sensation of movement.

I am not on an anti-yeast proticol.
I do like others feel terrible on sugar and carbs,, I get air hunger and neuropathy etc...

Ive never taken an anti-yeast pill untill now.

I have taken milk thistle in the past and it always makes me feel worse.

I drink lots of water (probabbly too much)
I try to work out or do the sauna(another gym) a couple time per week.

Now its tough cause the gym that I go to use the sauna is 20 minutes away as opposed to 10.

For the vertigo I have tried everything under the sun.

4 different steroid sprays.

4 different anti-histamines.

Meclazine (dramamine) made me severelly constipated.

Herbs like Fenugreek (used to work)

Afrin dries it up worse.

Sudafed doesnt help.

I even went to a chiropractic neurologist who said its all in my cerebellum and he can fix it with a couple cracks 3 times per week!

Then I went to another chiropractor who took x-rays of my neck and said it was crooked.

Unbelieveable.

It feels as if my sinuses have been burned out and irritated. I have lots of phlegm in my throat but not so much congestion in my nose.

I can breathe through my nose fine. Almost too well. I can feel the air hit the back of my throat and its almost painfull.

The ENT DOC tested me for fluid and it was negative. He said I can have the sensation of fluid with out fluid???

He tested my nerve too. It seemed fine.

I hope you can make sense of this. Im answering both posts.

Thanks in advance.

lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that you need to stay with just one llmd. I also agree that letting your llmd know that you are seeing a different kind of doctor, like for acupuncture or homeopathy is very important to make sure it is ok with his treatment protocol...he is your main dr in treating the lyme, and he is kind of the 'overseer of your protocol...

I always just made sure i cleared it with my llmd when i went to alternative docs for things to make sure it wouldn't interfere with my llmds treatment..he appreciated it and then could tell me if anything would interfere with my abx. I also cleared things with my pharmacist...

this is really for your own good as well..to make sure your not mixing htings that could be hazardous to your health...

but sticking with just one llmd is important..I don't htink you should go from one llmd to another UNLESS you are leaving one to go to the next because you are unhappy and moving on...jsut comparing treatments etc...I don't personally think is ok....YOu need to trust one llmd, build a line of good communication between you , so that you can trust each other..this is a long road..and you need to know he's on your side..if he thinks your' off with other llmds as well, he won't pay you much attention...

just my opinion..

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4599

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sapphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, I can understand why you are upset and I would like to suggest some natural remedies that could help your problem
the first one I will address is the pain in the back of your throat and the sinus drainage. This is actually often caused by acid reflux.
I had the same problem and started taking Prilosec OTC available over the counter. You can also try taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, it fools the stomach into believing its got enough acid and shuts down the stomach acid production . Untreated acid reflux can cause serious burns to your esophagus and throat.Its certainly worth a try to treat for this to see if it helps

As for the yeast infections in your sinuses . get a nasal spray bottle remove the cap mix up a solution of 4 cups water 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and use this in the spray bottle 6 times a day

two hours after your antibiotics take a product with 2 billion units of acidolphyllus . one product is called Megadolphyllus and it has helped me a great deal. strong black tea can also help kill off yeast, its the tannins in the tea that help. oregano oil is also effective against candida
I do agree that liver enzymes need to be tested if you take diflucan but most drs ask for a once a month test to monitor it , Milk thistle helps keep the liver functioning properly and will help flush out any toxins in the liver If it makes you feel worse there are plenty of other herbs that are also liver cleansers , just ask someone at a natural food store who is familiar with herbs

as for the chiropractor having taken neck xrays and sees your vertebrae out of alignment, Id suggest that you follow through with treatment as it can affect the sinuses and pressure in the ear drum when the neck is"crooked"( aka out of alignment)

hope this all helps
sapphire

Posts: 154 | From NH | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prevention is the best way to approach yeast.

Candida elimination: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html
Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Just want to highight that mixing Biaxin and Diflucan might be dangerous. Lately, I have made sure to check all our meds with the pharmacist beforehand, so bad ineractions don't occur. This helps me deal with this more diplomatically with the prescribing doctors (who should know more) because I can say "the pharmacist told me" rather than "I read on the Internet..."

I used to have symptoms very similar to yours. At the time, I read a great book on environmental allergies, don't remember the author. Maybe an environmental allergist could help you-?

All I can tell you is that with time, the sinus and vertigo problems resolved for the most part, and also my MCS has improved gradually over the years, although I still get pneumonia if exposed to new carpeting or oil paint, for example.
For me, hormones played some role in the MCS, I feel sure.

We also faithfully did the nasal irrigation described above, You can get something called Netti pot if you really want to do this gently. Using a bulb syringe sometimes causes more problems than you started with, because of the force involved.

Again, good luck!

mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my eldest son has had sinus problems ever since he got sick.... and he has been on antibiotics along with nystatin (periodically we do a course of diflucan)... and we supplement with acidophilus.

To be honest, this has not helped the sinus pain ---- and I believe alot of the problems with the sinus pain are due to his Babesia. (You were checked for coinfections?)

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

wow this is great information guys thanks.

Sapphire thats interesting about the chiropractor. In fact I might try him.

I saw chiros in the past but the one I saw was part nutritionist/kinesiologist and after 3 years he gave up on me.

He actually thinks that correcting my spine wont help because of the neuro-toxins will make it always go back.

That nasal spray sounds like a good idea too.
This doc just gave me a new one that is an anti-fungal it begins with an I...

anyways I payed $100 for it so I think that Ill be using it all up.

I have heard that with time it will get better,, its just disheartning that its been chronic like this for a year.

I dont even get a good day with my sinuses.
With my pain and energy I at least have some ok days.

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeHerx:

I might step on a few toes here by saying this, but I'm right with you with the vertigo. As you, I had constant unrelenting vertigo. I didn't have it quite as long as you,

and by FAR, it was THE WORST symptom I have experienced. My mother gets panicked when she gets dizzy spells for two days.

That being said, I HAVE run into LLMD's that would NOT treat yeast. I ultimately, left those doctors.

I don't know who your LLMD is, but I can see through looking at your post, this LLMD has NOT treated you for coinfections. Is there a reason for this?

Not treating for coinfections, and not treating yeast= find a new doctor perhaps?

To add to that, I seen a chiropractor who ALSO swore that my constant 24,7 debilitating vertigo was from my neck.

AFter 3 months of his adjustments, the vertigo left and has not returned. And that was BEFORE I started abx treatment for lyme.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeherx:

Hate to say it but, you LLMD might be right. My MD had me on an "as need" dose of Diflucan while on a Macrolide. He also had my liver, kidney and CBC panels done every 2 weeks.

When My PCP was treating me my Lyme MD used to get a little pissed because she would put me on things that I hadn't discussed with him first. But, he didn't want to step on her toes, as she was my primary. Now that he is my primary, he had me toss more than half the Rx my PCP had me on and is much more vocal about what I should and should not be taking together. I run everything by him (when my Lyme brain remembers to).

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Crime, that is so interesting about the neck ajustments.

Its hard to make sense of it because the vertigo didnt start because of trauma to the neck.

Actually I would get spells of vertigo and sinus troubles through the years. The longest up untill now lasted 2-3 weeks.

I just assumed it would go away on its own?

When youre sick like this its hard to tell who really thinks they can help you and who wants to take what little money I have/make.

Perhaps they all really think they can help us. There just that confident.

That kinesiologist/chiro I was talking about earlier was honest and said he couldnt.

Another chiro took x-rays said my neck was crooked and he could.

I just feel like a mouse in a maze with plastic cheese at each turn.

Another thing crime.

about the co-infections, they tested my 4 times for co-infections and it comes up negative each time.

My LLMD has a thing about not treating untill the test comes back positive.

This makes sense with the constant liver testing. Hes trying to save him self and be very precautious to avoid and legal problems.

At least I hope.

lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most of us don't test positive for coinfections, but 85% of have them...

find a llmd who will treat based on symtoms

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 10 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know if anyone mentioned this solution but I had a yeast problem from long term abx.

I found this amazing superstrain of 3 probiotics that are really hard to kill. The yeast infection in my ears, rectum and female area went away (i could not believe it) after taking this for a week. i am now on a maintenance dose.

It is very expensive but a GREAT alternative to anti-fungals if you have candida.
It will literally wipe out the candida problem by replacing it with these bacteria.

Its called Healthy Trinity by Natren.
very potent www.natren.com
Its $47 for 30 capsules. you may have to take as many as 6 a day to start until your yeast is under control.

far and away the best stuff i've ever tried. it cleared up my candida so much that i no longer need antifungal cream.

They have it at wholefoods market and vitaminshoppe stores. i dont know if they deliver to the public because they are so careful about the temperature.

i was so skeptical before i tried it because ive used every probiotic and anti yeast stuff you can think of before i tried healthy trinity.

good luck!

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sinus infection queen checking in here.

So he's pissed - he'll get over it. He knows now. Check the med contraindictions.

When you described your symptoms in an earlier post, you could've been me.

My 'chronic' sinus infections and dizzies left with 20 days of Diflucan. Gone - zippo. Never to return - a year now.

I'm still on it on 'as need' basis, have bloodwork done monthly or bi-monthly, and have NEVER had an abnormal blood screen.

But for the love of Pete, it is IMPERATIVE you go an an anti-yeast diet if you want to give it a chance to work.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DUDE!

He doesnt treat for coinfections unless they come back positive?

I bet you my left foot, and entire brain thats your problem RIGHT there.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not crazy about your LLMD's attitude.

FWIW: I have vertigo, tinnitus, hypeacusis as very punishing symptoms. I was slated to start IV abx shortly after being diagnosed, because I was so sick, but my initial response to oral ABX was so severe LLMD backed off.

After the first few months, I realized that the Biaxin and Zithromax I'd mostly taken were ototoxic - potentially destructive of the inner ear, and especially so in patients with a family history of inner ear problems. My mom had meneire's disease (sp) and it was awful for her.

I explained to LLMD, she agreed not worth risk, we moved on to Levaquin orally (kicked *** on a respiratory bug but got so I worried about tendons, so I stopped it) and then IM Bicillin (much more effective than orals, none of the intestinal effects, major herx pain but not the crippling vertigo I got on Biaxin or the horrid exacerbation of tinnitus I got on Zithromax.

So, moral of my crapulous tale is: one size does not fit all, abx-wise, and if you are prone to yeast overgrowth AND you have inner ear issues I say LLMD should consider gettin you off the macrolides and onto something else.

I could be completely wrong, its just how I read what happened to me, my case is just one more variation that only applies to some not all.

Cheers,

Paul

Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

paulscha

" crippling vertigo I got on Biaxin"

That was and still is me!!!

I thought it was a herx all along. How can one really tell though?

I went off the biaxin twice with disasterous results. Each time my neropathy came back hard and I had severe muscle weakness and burning,, air hunger etc...

I did get vertigo once I first went on the biaxin but I pulsed it and eventually I was able to take the biaxin with out the vertigo.

I think I was up to 750mg a day with no problems,,, mold exposure would bring it on and allergies,,, other then that I was fine.

That was untill the chemical exposure in the sauna,,, after that it became chronic.

Even as Im typing this now I can feel the phlegm in the back of my throat dripping dowb.

Ive taken so many antihistamine sometimes 3 at a time. It seemed to dry it up "a little"
however I could still feel the drip and dizziness.

Im thinking it could be yeast now, but this guy is sceptical. Because he knows that lyme can cause MCS and vertigo he want me to test neg for that first.

What pisses me off is that he always asks me
"well what will we do?" in his accent

Like you dont know? Its like a lotto for him with these anti-biotics and the Lyme.
I really think hes watching his arse so he isint sued.

He seems compassionate,, but stern at times.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lla2:
most of us don't test positive for coinfections, but 85% of have them...

find a llmd who will treat based on symtoms

and one who believes in yeast as a possibility.....

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

no2lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no2lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pretty new to the discussions and am not sure what MCS stands for, I have been very lucky when it comes to yeast. Apparently my body does not produce it but now I think my luck has run out. I am on IM bicillin, Ketex, Tindamax and all the other assortments of things. I have Bartonella as well. The sinus problem was one of my first symptoms.
Posts: 152 | From On Horseback | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why had your LLMD not sent you to someone that could help you in the first place. I'm sure that you had asked for help concerning these symptoms more than once.

I mean, it was obvious HE wasn't helping you with these specific symptoms, so therefore he should have sent you to someone else who could help.

I don't understand why doctors just can't say, 'I don't know' or 'I can't help you with this specific problem' or 'You need to see someone else for this'.

It would save us all alot of frustration and heartache and pain/or whatever your symptoms are causing.

If more doctors would admit that they don't know everything and can't fix everything, most of us wouldn't have had to go through several doctors and several months, if not years, to finally be diagnosed with Lyme.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

MCS stands for multiple chemical sensitivity.

It mean an adverse reaction to chemicals that other would have little or no reaction to.

In Most people it effects their sinuses but it can go other places too.

Ever have a sinus infection??

Ever know how every smell bothers you? Like the smell of smoke and perfume? Your eyes might even water.

This is what is happening to me.
Except with even more scents. And when I smell it my vertigo gets worse!

paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear of your poor treatment, lymeHerx001. But I'm glad that the Biaxin is helping you!

Keep the ototoxic question in mind, though, figuring out what is herx and what is side-effect is not nearly as simple as a person might think.

It could be that while you can tolerate the Biaxin now it is still passing some dosing threshold where in addition to anti-Borrelia effects you are getting anti-you effects. It isn't always one or the other.

I agree with Jill, if a physician is not going to attend to a symptom they should help you get to someone who will.

One gets very tired of hearing things like, "I like to do things sequentially, one at a time, this other symptom will have to wait."

As if the only concern were a physician's preferred mode of operation! But let's face it, what we mostly get from physicians is an MD-centered, not patient-centered, standard of care.

Of course, there is also something to be said for caution in introducing treatments. You sound like you're having a pretty rough go of it, and in that situation (when things all seem very urgent) it is true that adding a powerful antifungal could be a costly mistake, [or a great success].

I became convinced recently that I had a yeast overgrowth in my respiratory and GI tract, persuaded LLMD to prescribe 200mg a day of Fluconazole, and learned the hard way that my system would not tolerate the medication.

I think you sound very rational, and that is an accomplishment when you're enduring these sorts of symptoms! Hopefully you can help nudge your LLMD into a more cooperative stance. When they don't have a clear medical basis for a decision, all sorts of other factors creep in, and we want your wishes to be one of them!

I hope you get some relief soon!

Paul

Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJPII
Member # 5876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJPII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you received a lot of good info. here! I 'd like to support Lymeinhell's comments in that "so what he was a little pissed". He definitely should have been more diagnostic and sensitive about your ailments.

I agree the best approach is to run things by the LLMD first, but I think with this disease, a doctor has to be thick-skinned and understand when we encounter situations like this. They should then display the ability to work through them better then that.

Posts: 77 | From Morris County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I understand correctly that you are not following the anti-yeast diet, etc? And now you are unhappy that the doc won't consider treating for yeast and he wants to know when you are getting treatment from other docs?

Sorry, I can't see that you have a leg to stand on complaint wise.

Think you are being unreasonable. But maybe I didn't understand what you were saying.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by no2lyme:
..... I have been very lucky when it comes to yeast. Apparently my body does not produce it but now I think my luck has run out.....

Everyone's body produces yeast. If we add antibiotics to the mix, then the "bad bacteria" overtakes the "good bacteria."

That's when the trouble begins. Anyone on long term abx is eventually going to have a problem with yeast. And then, it's going to be even harder to get under control and stay under control.

You're playing with fire here.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's necessarily that the bad bacteria takes over the good.

It's that the antibiotics are attacking ALL bacteria and we need to supplement with probiotics to bring in good bacteria.

But I think I catch the drift.

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks with MCS have trouble with all chemicals, and tend to be prone to adverse drug reactions. If your LLMD has worked or works with a few MCS patients, then they are aware of the potential for drug interactions and reactions, and they would add medications one at a time, and build the dose up slowly. This may be why the LLMD is not treating co-infections yet.

WRT to yeast grapefruit seed extract can be helpful.

MCS patients also need to have a good detox regime in place. NAC is, as one of my LLMD's says, good for what ails you,a nd it is also pretty cheap.

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to drink lots of water-like 3 qts/day and that would help with my yeast problem. And guess what? It did.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot something, if i drink coffee or tea or cola that negates an equal amount of water so then I must drink more water.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I tried NAC,,

Was taking lots of it for a month. I noticed that after I took a large dosage that my mucous would thin. It did nothing for my vertigo.

The thing is Ill take a supplement for a week or two and then stop if I dont see results.

Ive tried.

Wolbenzyme
NAC
ALA
anti-histamines
Zinc
Large doses of Vit A for a week (LLMD didnt like this)
HAS natures way herbal formula

Again I feel that I have a chronic sensitivity or my sinuses are burned out.

Now I went to this woman doc and she said take large doses of MSM

Now Im just having a problem with acid reflux and sour stomach. It could be the 2-3 cups of coffee I have a day, but somehow I dont know for sure.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Well see what will happen with this. Ive been seing him for almost 2 years. Some symptoms are better and some are worse.

Maybee he will test again for co-infections.

In the meantime I think it coulndt hurt to go see a chiropractor 3 times a week.

My mother has been seing a chiro now for a month and she feels way better. I stronglly think that she has Lyme also.

She was dx with fibro, cfs, epstein bar,, never felt right in 15 years.

This CHIROPRACTOR took x rays of my neck.
My whole spine looks crooked. He wants to start adjusting it...

He also told my mother that I have arthritus in my neck? How can someone get it there?

My neck has been cracking 10 times a day,, so even if he can help this.
\\\\\
My old chiroptactor that I saw years ago basically gave up on me. He said that the adjusments would never hold because of neuro-toxins.

Has anyone ever heard this? This is after I told him that I had a huge herx on BIAXIN.

He changed his stance from "ohh everyone tests positive on IGINEX" to

...well rob,, you probably have LYME and have a very deep infection. I cant work on you because you wont hold your adjustments because of neuro-toxins.
\
\
\\\
\\\\

Theres so much information and misinformation. All of us are exploring these murky waters...

quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimeOfLyme:
DUDE!

He doesnt [b] treat for coinfections unless they come back positive?

I bet you my left foot, and entire brain thats your problem RIGHT there.

[/B]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lymeHerx001:
He also told my mother that I have arthritus in my neck? How can someone get it there?

ANY joint can get arthritis in it.

Hope you get your mother to take a Lyme test....and hope you get a babs test!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

first free
Member # 7140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for first free     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear about your suffering. Vertigo was one of my worse symtoms. It didn't get better until I started IV rocephin. ~jackie
Posts: 61 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement