LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herx or relapse? Excrutiating pain, can't take it any more

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herx or relapse? Excrutiating pain, can't take it any more
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since yesterday, I have had pain like never in my three plus years with Lyme. I have been on Ketek for almost 2 months, sometimes 400mg and sometimes 800mg depending if I was on Diflucan with it or not.

The bones on the top of my feet, toes, my leg muscles, fingers, wrists, arm bones feel like they are being ripped out. I have been sobbing in pain all night, keep biting off quarters of Darvocet-N, am afraid to take a whole one.

I have also been taking Twinlab Yeast Fighters, WobenzynN, Ultramag, B-complex, B12 sublinguals, and the usual assortment of probiotics.

Is this a herx? Is it yeast die-off from the Yeast Fighters?

The pain is unbearable, I just want to die.

My LLMD isn't back in the office until Tuesday, and I will call him on an emergency, but I was hoping first for the collective wisdom here.

If it's a herx, I guess I can ride it out and lower the Ketek, but I am terrified that something real bad is happening to me.

If I go to the ER, they won't have a clue, will try to give me steroids.

I am desperate and sobbing, please help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are experiencing this. I have not had that kind of yeast die off but hear it can be pretty bad.

I have had the type of pain you describe and in the same places but I think it was lyme not yeast related..... really don't know for sure though.

I know what you mean about the ER. Steroids are really bad unless you are in a life threatenig situation. Only you can decide that. You can go to ER just to make sure nothing else critical is going on with you.
You could refuse the steroids ..... but they could give you some pain meds. Take somone with you if you can.

I know thed esperate sobbing feeling........you will feel better.....remember to breathe as deeply as you can......this really helps with pain. The more you can relax, the less the pain will have a hold on you. I am not diminishing that your in pain just trying to share techniques that help.

I am here, sending you good thoughts, healig energy and peace.

robi

[This message has been edited by robi (edited 29 April 2005).]

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Robi, thanks so much for the support.

It's comforting to know you had these symptoms too. What did you do for them?

I can't believe I am having new symptoms after all this time. This just doesn't seem normal for Lyme.

robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really try to relax through the sx. I don't take anything for pain, but I do have acupunture when I can.....it really helps.

Also, as hard as it is, you have to move, walk, exercise when you can.

Also, if you can't do anything else, get a movie.....funny one.....drink hot detox tea, I buy yogi brand, and just veg and cry........ know that we all know what your dealing with..........and there is an end

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about a yeast die off, but I can tell you that it sounds to me as if you're having a major herx.

I too have been on Ketek for two months -- 800mg daily along with Cedax 800mg daily for the last month.

One of my first Lyme symptoms was pain in my right knee. It is back and worse than ever.

Since starting this regimen I am in constant, horrible pain chiefly in my legs.

I have had a couple of isolated hours pain-free. My LLMD tells me these will become longer and more frequent.

For the record, I've had LD for 17 years.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Advil helps me to some extent.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I was treated for Lyme I had this pain in all my extremeties, and
after a while seriously considered ending it all. (Dr.s couldn't dx it- made alot of guesses but basically did nothing).

As long as I kept about 3 grams of ibuprofen in my blood stream I could tolerate the pain, but even that amount did not take it all away.

I also re-visited this pain during Lyme treatment... but it only lasted a short time (not the 3 months time of pain pretreatment).

I think this is related to die-off, and even though it feels like the bones, muscles or tendons - I know think it's neurological (That's the only think that can produce that severe of pain).

Your abx may be TOO effective. I'd talk to the doc about suspending the abx, and trying
a anti-inflammatory.

If your pain was like mine - it's hard to sustain that level every day.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned that when I'm in really bad pain I need to take more pain killers. Sometimes a full dose to start gets the pain under control and then I can keep it under control and remain functional by taking smaller amounts every 2 or 3 hours.

I've sometimes gone for days taking too little pain killers and unable to think clearly enough to realize that when I'm in so much pain I need more pain med, that's what it is for! Even still my instinct is always to try to take less.

When My face "woke up" after Bell's palsy I was in excruciating pain for a week. Tylenol with codeine saved me. I would take it the second I got up in the morning. The key was not letting the pain get back out of control.

Hoping you get some relief soon.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiddler
Member # 3993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiddler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Is your pain a "burning" or "aching" sensation?

I ask because my worst symtoms have always been "burning" nerve pain. I had it on/off for many months, but woke up one night with unable to describe,horrific,mind blowing, do not want to be on this earth pain.

This pain led me to drive 7 hours to try a new LLMD. To this day, I cannot say why the pain erupted after so many months in therapy. The pain lasted many weeks- not to scare you- not sayng yours will. It did get better- but again I cannot say why it improved (was it the ABX, time, or what). However, I am still stuggling with nerve pain now- but not too that extreem.

I FEEL FOR YOU- it is horrible. My only advice:

-don't be alone- call family or friends

-see your LLMD asap to try to figure out why the pain got worse

-don't be afraid to take pain killers if they will help you at all

Feeling very badly for you.

-Sarah

Posts: 58 | From Leonardtown, Md, usa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is horrible. In March or April 04 it felt like both forearms were burning or going to explode for about 3-4 days. My hands could not grip anything for at least a week. I have also had severe pain in my back... like invasion of the body snatchers... "if only I could remove my head from my shoulders and pull my spine out." I was really getting scared of myself. That was from about May - Nov 2004. Then recently had the shoulder and neck stiffness and ache herx. I could hold off the pain because I was busy at work, but once out and dealing with it, ugh.

I have been much better being on abx since Nov. It's a love/hate relationship with the herxes.

Are you feeling any relief as the day goes on?

I wish you relief soon!!!

Let us know.

Lisa

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lhm312,

How are you? I hope you got some relief and some rest.

Please let us know how you are.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your pain is bad enough to consider the ER, it seems smart to try the pain meds first, since you have them.

Why are you afraid to take a whole one? My experience is that the more pain you are in, the more pain medication your body can absorb, without side effects. Maybe there is a reason you are not wanting to take it, but it seems like the simplist solution.

Taking enough pain medication will allow you to get through until you can be evaluated for what is going on. Herxs can definitely cause this, but there is no reason to suffer through like this if the meds will help.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) I agree with Barb - this kind of pain is almost certainly neurological (which doesn't exactly clear anything up, but can matter for pain relief).

2) I've had severe, chronic pain of this kind continously for over a year.

3) If you're interested in comparing notes feel free to email me at [email protected]

Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take one DarvocetN-100 along with 200 mg of store brand Motrin for pain.
I did this almost every day for three years, until the Motrin gave me stomach problems.

The Darvocet is a mild pain killer, and has acetominophen in it. It won't help the pain if you don't have a high enough level of it in your blood.

If you need a stronger pain med, I would suggest Ultram.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thomas Parkman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Parkman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear lhm;

I too am in severe pain and I feel like I am going to die. So the first thing you need to do, week end or no week end is call your doctor. Such severe pain can not only be horrible but it has potential dangers. Nobody should have to be in that level of pain. Your doctor NEEDS to know about this. If he does not want to deal with it, then, dear friend, you need a new doctor.

Take warm or hot water salt baths, using bath salts or epsom salts. Drink lots of water. Lots of it. I agree with the advice about exercise. get out there, as awful as you may feel and try to walk about, breathe deeply. You may think I am crazy but if you could get in a pool and swim, it could really help. I felt awful this morning and made myself swim 500 metters and I felt better. Not great or even good but better. It gets oxygen in your system. Get as much oxygen into your system as possible. Take things such as ginger ale, crystalized ginger and other things to help with nausea and pain. Do everything you can to make yourself comfortable.

You might want to look into taking suppliments to detoxify your body. I am currently using Alph-Lipoic acid (800 mg a day) Querciting (1000 mg a day) and am going to get NAC and CoQ 10 tomorrow.

If you have family or friends, it would be wonderful it they or somebody could be there with you. You can then begin to better deal with the anxiety and depression. Eat comfort foods-ice cream, etc. in moderate amounts. No 45 gtallons of Rocky Road ice cream tonight please, Boris and Myrtle (Burgdorferi, that is), just love the stuff too. And don't try sherry either. I just love that too but so do B and M.

Take the pain medications. You can deal with the problems in that area at another time. One crisis at a time, please. I am terrified of oxycodone. Yet when the pain gets bad I break down and take it.

Listen to music. Mozart can do wonders, believe me. Turn your mind as much as possible-and this is very hard-away from all the misery to those things that bring you joy.

Finally, remember. You are not alone. All of us here have been where you are at one time or another and to one degree or another. We are here to do what we can. And get on the phone to that doctor. Remember. This too shall pass. You are a lot stronger and a lot braver than you think you are. With best wishes and my prayers. Thomas Parkman

Posts: 341 | From Columbia SC 29206 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support. You are all too wonderful.

I have been taking the Darvocet-N all day and trying to doze to take away the pain. What comforts me now is knowing it's either die-off or a herx, and not something more serious.

The pain pills are taking the edge off so I can doze for what looks like half hour at a time.

I didn't call the doctor, decided that on my own I can either lower the Ketek or stop it for a few days. I have been on this website long enough certainly to know that each LLMD has different recommendations, and it's ultimately up to us to do what we think works best.

I need to see him in a few weeks to discuss my meds and probably add to it, he had mentioned Omnicef as a possibility with the Ketek.

As for tonight, I plan to take a whole Darvocet, now that I know I don't react badly to it. I had been taking Ultracet for the past three years, and it apparently isn't working for this level of pain.

I did try a hot epsom salt bath with baking soda last night, and it made me much worse. I think if you are herxing before the bath, the heat intensifies it, at least that's my experience.

I like the suggestion to eat special foods, would love to eat ice cream but then I would be dancing with the yeast demons. Between the denial of foods that we live with and the pain, it's so hard sometimes to stay positive.

Tomorrow is another beautiful day in Florida, and I am hoping to shuffle myself to the pool, pain or no pain. I don't know how to swim, but I can get the benefit of the warm water. Sorry folks, those of you who are still cold.

I will pray that all of you in pain receive God's healing light. Godbless.

Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lhm:

It's far easier to cope with support and understanding from the troops.
We'll be here in the a.m. to see how you are.

Lisa

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by henson2:

Out of desperation, I cut back on the antibiotics. I thought that if my body was dealing with that much pain to get better, than I was defeating the purpose. My body would never heal if I put it under the stress and trauma of that much pain.

EXACTLY I hope you will stop the meds for at least a day or two.

been there

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Hi all, I slept through the night with half a DarvocetN and feel drugged, but at least I can walk today. My goal is to get to the pool, not far at all unless you can't walk.
Before I went to sleep, I checked here and started to cry from the kindness, and the level of everyone's distress.

I realized that some of the upset for me is that the Ultracet stopped working for this intense pain, it had held me so well for over 3 years.

I also thrived on Vioxx, then switched to Bextra and Celebrex, and now off all that stuff, but they really did work. I was outraged when Vioxx was taken away, it was a friend and I never had the slightest problem with it. I tried Mobic briefly, but it did nothing.

I guess you all wonder why we are cursed. I still try to look at some positive things, and determined that if I hadn't gotten sick, I wouldn't have the spirituality and the belief in the power of God that I do. I have also made some great friends here whom I stay in contact with.

I started out so sick that I couldn't get out of bed or leave the house, and have to look at the progress I've made. It's something we should all do when we "crash" again. My husband keeps reminding me that other symptoms have gone away, and this is temporary.

He's really down right now, had hoped I would get back to normal. I am blessed with him, but understand how hard it must be to watch someone you love suffering so much. I don't think we realize the effect our illness has on others who love us, it's certainly food for thought.

On an upbeat note, I caught on cable last night Whoopi Goldberg in her NY show called Broadway. It's clearly a woman's show, although enlightened guys would enjoy it. I am not an easy laugher, but I laughed so hard I was afraid I would wake my husband in the next room. She does an hour or so on menopause as part of the show, and it's one of the funniest things I've seen, I almost wet my pants. Or maybe it was a menopause symptom that did it.

Godbless you all.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement