LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need your advice once again re: Abx & treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need your advice once again re: Abx & treatment
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All...

Thx in advance for your feedback!

I will be finding out the results of my IgenX tests tomorrow @ my LLMD. Lyme/Co-infections and several other tests (Lupus screen/H Pyloi, and more).

I will most likely defer to the advice of the LLMD, but want to see if you all have had certain success stories on certain ABXs and/or treatment methods. I know it'll be different for everyone, and will depend on what exactly I test positive for.

I'll state my background, in hopes that someone with a similar history and infection level has had some success in treatment...

Lyme symptoms hit me like a freight train mid-Oct '04 - Flu-like feeling (but no temp), vision issues, neurological issues, headaches multiple times/day, tendon pain, muscle cramps, (over 30 Burrescano symptoms) through December '04.

12/04 - 1st Test - ANA = False Positive and Lyme Screen = positive (1.57) but negative on the WB (all bands). Convinced Primary Doc to prescribe 3 weeks of Doxy, on which the majority of symptoms improved or were resolved. Doxy ran out, digestive issue returned, along with some other symptoms but not nearly to the level as previous.

1/05 - 2nd Lyme test - LabCorp Lab - Band 23 showed Positive on WB. Was able to get my Neurologist to prescribe another 30 days of Doxy to get me through to my Appt with my LLMD in March. Took 2 weeks of the Doxy, but felt like I was reacting negatively to it (not herx - dry eyes, metallic taste in my mouth), but at the same time, didn't feel it was doing anything for the remaining symptoms of spinal pain, tendon pain, and eye issues. After stopping the doxy this time, no symptoms returned that weren't already there.

Through Feb, Mar, and April I feel like I have steadily improved, though some of the symptoms remain: Thoracic spinal pain, occasional tendon/muscle pain, and the vibration/spasm symptom in my arm and face.

I never did get the fatigue that many do. My energy has been rather good throughout, and I feel that I have had a fairly mild level of infection/exposure. I think this was due to catching it and getting on the Doxy fairly quickly after symptoms began (albeit not enough, or long enough). In March I caught the flu (like everyone else) and my new primary doc prescribed Zythromax (just 1 round). When I took that, it seemed to really work well on the digestive issues I was having. I have also seen posts that Zithro has helped people out in the spinal pain department.

Given the above, do you have any advice on how to proceed with treatment?

Btw...also taking Cat's Claw/Pro-biotics/Magnesium/Vit C & Multi

Sorry for the length of this, but really do appreciate you all for your advice, feedback, and support...I don't know where I would be right now without you, and this forum!

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill,

I'm sorry to hear that you have Lyme but I'm glad you've found lymenet. Its been huge help to me and it sounds like you've already found out how great all the folks here are.

As you said, everyone's experience is different and it seems like there are many differing opinions amongst LLMD's too.

My experience isn't exactly like yours but there are a few parallels. It took me 6 weeks after being in tick/lyme country, getting flulike/fever and a bizarre rash before I got a dx and tx from a dermatologist not an LLMD

Initially I was rx'd with doxy at 200 mg/day for 30 days. Within a week the rash was gone and I felt MUCH better.

But I found lymenet and decided to try 400 mg/day of doxy. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Herx'd-fatigue, sore muscles, brain fog...felt worse then I had on the lower dose but didn't know that maybe I should back off a bit so I stuck it out.

Five weeks later I woke up one morning feeling MUCH better again. Stayed on the higher dose another 3 weeks and continued to feel about the same.

Finally went to LLMD. He took me off the doxy (because it had done all it could) and put me on Ceftin 1000 mg per day. Herx'd again-with strange muscle aches, strange stabbing pains, more brain fog, etc.

Also had a major yeast meltdown. Dealt with the yeast by extreme dietary changes, herbs, and nystatin/diflucan. Survived both yeast and Ceftin and began to feel better again.

Went on Zithromax 500 mg/day and stayed on yeast protocol. Continued to feel better and then went on Flagyl 750mg/day and stayed with yeast protocol. Messed with my stomach but otherwise I felt pretty good.

Been off abx for almost a month now and still dealing with yeast and GERD from the abx but overall I'm doing pretty well.

My words of wisdom, (for what they're worth), is that you should keep reading, reading, reading and asking questions of everyone you can so that you can decide what is right for you.

------------------
Wishing you fast healing and good health!

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement