LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how does c-reactive protein relate to Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how does c-reactive protein relate to Lyme?
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My c-reactive protein levels are elevated. What does this mean? Is it an indication of inflammation? I thought it had to do with your heart. They want to re-check them in few weeks.
Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it is herx
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tested positive for lyme on several occasions.......CRP was and remains elevated.

I was told that it is an indicator of the level of inflammation in your body.

Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CRP is a measure of inflammation, as said above. It goes up and down more quickly than the "sed rate."

If you have Lyme, the elevated CRP would probably be atttributed to that, and it is not the same situation as having inflammation in your blood vessels contributing to heart disease.

With a severe Lyme flare, my CRP was in the 80's!!!!! Nevertheless, I was told repeatedly that this didn't signiify any heart risk, but was due to inflammation from my illness.

My CRP went down to normal in a few weeks after that flare. It has been slightly elevated at other times but seems to be normal a lot too. Must go up and down w/Lyme...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CRP has been up for quite a while - always been told it was caused from inflammation and 'not to worry about it'.

I haven't had a heart attack - so I ain't worrying about it.

Just follow up with what your doc wants - and try not to worry. I know it's difficult not to worry, especially if you've got lyme bugs living in the tissue between your ribs & you have constant chest pains. Been there! Still there as a matter of fact!

Hang in there.

Blessings,

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bigmamma, you got to this question before me, and it's my big concern also.

I recently underwent nerve conduction studies where they shocked the nerves for diabetic neuropathy. All were normal, but during the shock treatment, the neurologist saw on the machine about the CRP levels were high.

Doc suggested it might be "occult coronary artery disease". Any one else told this? He didn't tell me this, but the copy of his medical notes did!

Lyddie, thanks for the wonderful comments! I learned a lot from your answer.

Bettyg, Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brainstorming...

I know (documented) that if exposed to a pathogen that causes food poisoning, the body will dump cholesterol, fast - even before WBCs rise. This is an immediate, life-threating situation. If digestion goes kapoot...we can't absorb any nutrients. We MUST have a healthy gut.

(Cyclospora is on the increase.)

Why is it dumped? Cholesterol is a fat and a protein...acidic.

CEA...levels to detect cancer... is also a protein...acidic. They normally rise if cancer is present (not always totally accurate though).

CRP...another protein which rises when an infection is threatening.

Looks like our body, when confronted with certain pathogens, starts becoming acidic - elevating certain proteins because

...acids (lots) react with the minerals (little) to produce hydrogen...lots of it.

2 H's combine with 2 O's (most are free radicals) to make H2O2 which is capable of knocking off MOST, but not all - Bb - pathogens (bacterial, viral, fungal and even some spores).

Looks to me like the body may be trying to fight by 1st building up a "reserve" in some instances. Preparing for battle until other factors kick in (enough antibodies)?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the responses. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Marnie, hmmm, so maybe that would also explain why in my ABG's my ph was off.

From what I understand from reading online, c-reactive protein can be an early indicator of infection and an indication of the level of inflammation. I guess there is a specific CRP test that is indicative of coronary involvement, but mine was just the general one .

I read on PubMed in an abstract
Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2005 January-February;39(1):33-39.

"The serum level of CRP was increased only in 15% of patients and after the treatment CRP concentration returned to a basal level (except one patient in whom CRP was slightly higher than in the control group). No correlation between CRP and IL-18, IL-1beta and sIL-1RII was observed. Conclusions: Our results confirm the involvement of IL-18, IL-1beta and sIL-1RII in the pathogenesis of neuroborreliosis and uselessness of CRP determination in the diagnosis of Lyme meningitis."

So my LLMD might be using this baseline CRP to see my progress and if my treatments are reducing inflammation.

I already knew I had inflammation anyway due to the hypercoagulation abnormalities that have been discovered.

Hmmm, since it is secreted by the liver, could this mean maybe I have a liver problem?? Just thinking out loud. I haven't had any liver labs done since on abx.

[This message has been edited by bigmamma (edited 30 April 2005).]

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you know If you have United Healthcare, CRP is not an approved test for a Lyme Diagnosis. The reason is the AMA guidelines. Not sure what other Insurance companies will be doing in the future. I know last year when I was with Cigna no problem.

CRP has been a good marker for me in the past. THat is why we keep running the tests. Just now a pain with new insurance.

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is NOT the same as the CPK level, is it? That is also a sign of inflammation - specifically, of enzymes released by muscle tissues (there is a CPK level that specifically measures cardiac enzymes, I am told). My CPK levels have been in the 300-400 range, probably because of "molecular mimicry" - one of the outer surface proteins of Lyme so closely resembles that of muscle tissue that the immune system begins attacking the muscle tissue. I don't know if I have ever been tested for C-reactive protein. I do know someone in our Lyme group who brought up the fact once that her C-reactive proteins were elevated. (I did not know it was something that could be detected by an EMG, however - I thought it was bloodwork.)
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

quote:
Originally posted by hwlatin:
Just to let you know If you have United Healthcare, CRP is not an approved test for a Lyme Diagnosis.

I agree that it shouldn't be used for dx as Lyme is supposed to be a clinical dx. My LLMD dx me clinically and with supporting evidence of a highly + Western Blot through Igx. There was an older study I found (below) that indicated it could be used but I think it is rubbish. Could be good supporting evidence of the inflammation caused by chronic infections though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Biomed Environ Sci. 1996 Dec;9(4):424-9. Related Articles, Links

A preliminary study of C-reactive protein in the diagnosis and monitoring of Lyme disease.

Chan SS, Wong YC, Hodgkiss IJ.

Department of Applied Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong.

Concentrations of C-reactive protein (CRP) in the serum of 14 patients suffering from Lyme disease were measured. 86% of these patients were found to have abnormally high concentrations of serum CRP (range 14-158 mg/L). The CRP concentration of a 60-year-old patient abated from 29 mg/L to 13 mg/L after treatment. Results suggest that serum CRP concentration can provide a valuable and accurate means for the clinical diagnosis and monitoring of Lyme disease.

bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

quote:
Originally posted by Laurie:
This is NOT the same as the CPK level, is it? .......

.....(I did not know it was something that could be detected by an EMG, however - I thought it was bloodwork.)

Laurie,

You are correct that this is not the same as CPK.

I also do not think EMG can diagnose CRP. It is a blood test.

bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learning more from all of you all the time....thanks a bunch!

Bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CRP level started out at 33.1 two years ago, when I first went to my primary because of my range of symptoms.

This is way before I knew, much less thought, I had Lyme.

It got all the way up to 44.0, I believe. I think 0-4.4 is normal. So, my CRP has been WAY high.

Since taking antibiotics, it has come down to 25.0!!!! I have since been tested for it but have not been told the newest results....

I was relieved to see it finally coming down after having it climb higher and higher these past two years.

I was told by everyone that it was just inflammation. I have read articles on how the CRP has a connection to heart attacks. My LLMD told me he thought it would start to come back down after I started medication. He was right.

Also, I have read that exercise will bring you CRP down if you are overweight.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Jill, thanks for comments about CRP being high also if you are overweight; yes, I fall into that class.

Can';t exercise due to all my heal spur pain and my shortness of breath.

Bettyg

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement