LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Poll on administering Bicillin @home/Need a new doc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poll on administering Bicillin @home/Need a new doc.
RJPII
Member # 5876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJPII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - I've just about had it with my LLMD. I asked to go on a Bicillin regimin which she agreed to, but said I would have to take the shots in her office. This will get real expensive and difficult fast. I like to report back to her on the percentage of people that self administer versus in office. If anyone has received Bicillin, can you please let me know how ("Home" or "by doc")

It seems every new idea or new method of therapy is a difficult negotiation. She also seems overwelmed all the time, having no staff, long waits and behind on the latest info....I guess I will take this as a wake up call to move on to another doc. If anyone has a doctor they can refer me to within 45 minutes of Morris or Somerset County NJ that would be great.(I know I may have to take a longer ride if need be.(If you have names/numbers - please email me directly - [email protected])

It's incredible how much money I have spent on her over the last 4 years, yet I am feeling cheated lately.
Thanks!!

Posts: 77 | From Morris County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken it at home, three times a week for two years, with no problems. It's not brain surgery.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took them at home...and I'm still alive.
Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!

I am on my third week of bicillin LA; my llmd said 1 injection per week for the first 3 weeks; then move to 2 per week for I don't know how long. I am also on levaquin, mepron-art and ketek.

My LLMD showed my hubby how to do it. Didn't seem to be difficult; HOWEVER, the injection that my LLMD did was a little discomfort -no big deal-; but the first one that my hubby did was horrible.

I asked for some advise on this forum and as usual I got great info; they suggested to do it s-l-o-w-l-y and keep the bicillin at room temperature 15-20 min before application. IT IS WORKING; still hurts but it's not a horrid experience anymore.

David?????: can't do numbers yet, sorry!
You are doing 3 per week for 2 years, any good advise to minimize injection pain? Any recomendations will be greatly appreciated. My LLMD is in CA, you are in CA, maybe we have the same one. Mine is Dr H. in N. City.

ThANK YOU!

Posts: 303 | From WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not currently on it, but I think it is common for it to be done by a relative/friend at home, or wherever. It is not necessary to be in the doctor's office.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RJ:

You can certainly do the injections yourself. I, for one, would not. I am very thin (thanks to Lyme) and am petrified of missing what little bit of muscle I have. I have it done by my nurse, in my MD's ambulatory infusion center. It is painless, for the most part. And, I feel safe in case something goes wrong. I had a different nurse once day who nicked my sciatic nerve when she pulled the needle out. I can't remember ever being in so much pain and unable to walk. I also had one nurse nick a blood vessel, again on the way out, and I bled for hours. My regular nurse is great though. I am not taking any chances by doing them at home and not knowing what to do if I should miss.

Besides, how can you guys twist your bodies to get at that butt muscle?

I think I know who your LLMD is in NJ. I am from there and have a couple of friends who see her. They think she is really good. Unfortunately, many of us are facing a similar situation because our MDs are so overwhelmed with patients and Lyme is completely out of control, especially in CT and NJ. I wait a long time to see mine. I just bring a good book and get comfortable. I have even used the time to catch a nap in my MD's waiting room.

If you have a partner, maybe your MD can teach him/her to "shoot" you. Hope things get better for you.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymester,

My experience is that the shots have become less uncomfortable over time, except for an occasional "stinger." One option is to transfer the Bicillin to a 5 ml. syringe and then draw an ml. or two of Lidocaine. This is done in Israel when it is used to provide rheumatic fever prophylaxis to children. It would resoult in a larger volume but less discomfort.
It does seem that my pain threshold may be higher than some people's. For example, I accidently tore a bicep tendon free from my shoulder and failed to notice. It was found in a surgery about a year later that was done to clear out some debris secondary to arthritis (which now is almost complete gone!).
My doctor would probably best be described a Lyme friendly and has a general family practice. This has worked out fine for me because I'm pretty opinionated about what needs to be done and he isn't threatened. Best.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has been giving them to himself at home. You need to know, however, that bicillin is currently backordered from the manufacturor. before you start, you need to check out what the availability would be. You may need to get it from out of the country.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJPII
Member # 5876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJPII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info., thanks everyone. I also spoke with a friend this morning who said that all NJ LLMDs she is aware of have insisted that it be done in the office. So far this poll has reflected all 'self adminstered' on this poll. We questioned if these this a NJ item. I will try to investigate this more and report back for those folks in NJ.

I do know that I have heard of other people getting self-administered intramuscular injections of other meds. in NJ. It seems a shame, as I have been eager to try it and can't travel to her office three times a week or afford the bills. Orals have been hard on my gut lately.

beachcomber - I hear you. I am a thin guy myself and the vision of striking the wrong spot crossed my mind. On the doc., I really like her as well. I just think she has been conservative in the ABX department and I am getting tired of the same story lately. I guess I will give it a little more time. I read about some fascinating combinations of meds. being presribed in other parts of the US and question why I haven't taken anything more then one (and frequent Tinidazole) I am trying cats claw (Samento)with no abx for the first time next.Mostly to give the stomach relief for a month.

Posts: 77 | From Morris County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's got to be a NJ thing! You can't even pump your own gas in NJ. So, it would follow that you need an attendant to pump your Bicillin too.

(kidding)

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no2lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no2lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on bicillin for 8 months and every week I got to my PCP and have the nurse give me the shot. I am pretty fortunate because she had been bitten by a tick years ago and an ID doc got her treated right away. I live alone so having someone else do it is not an option. My insurance cover these weekly office visits, I just pay a co-pay. But now that their is a shortage I am two weeks without and most symptoms returned.
Posts: 152 | From On Horseback | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement