LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Star ticks in Northern Maryland

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star ticks in Northern Maryland
Houston Lyme Pie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houston Lyme Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from a trip to my native Maryland- yup, same place I was infected in May '01

While there I attended my nephew's 5th grade field trip to a place called Marshy Point Nature Center in Harford County.

A cheerful young nature guide had collected some specimens to show the kids- 3 live ticks she had pulled off of herself that week.

WOW- very impactful!!
I asked her if she thought the one with the distictive mark was a Lone Star Tick

(It is widely believed they are not found in Maryland)

She said she had never seen one like that before and would ask the Senior Naturalist. Later in the day she caught back up with me and confirmed that he said it was indeed a Lone Star Tick.

The other 2 in the zip-lock baggie were a regular old deer tick and a big brown dog tick.

She cheerfully told me she expected that sooner or later she would tangle with Lyme.

When I lived in the Caribbean we felt that way about dengue fever- sooner or later we would get it- and most of us did at one time or another.

But dengue, as bad as it was, only lasted a week, two weeks tops.

That got me really pushing Marylanders to tell about their experiences- and I heard everything from
"I had Lyme for a couple of months, took some antibiotics, and finally pulled out of it- man it was a bad couple of months"

to "We thought we lost my mom to Lyme 3 years ago- but she's getting better now"

Anyway, in any group- the kids' baseball practice, the other grownups on the field trip, seems every body knows somebody affected acutely and pretty recently.

By the way, I enjoyed a preparation hiking trip in New Mexico in April and next week I am leaving for my big 50th birthday trip- trekking in the Himalayas.
I feel awkward about mentioning it, like some of you might say who is this chick and why is she always talking about herself, but I want to spread the word- true and hopeful- to those who are in their darkest hour of treatment. It's a tough slog, but there can be life after Lyme.

Posts: 424 | From Houston TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1257

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, especially Hartford County. I had a third cousin that lived in Perryville when I was a child and the girl died from the tick bite.

We are highly endemic here. Thanks for passing on the information for all. Have many wonderful trips to you.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am personally delighted you are going trekking. Have a great time. Telling us this gives us hope for ourselves.

Your experience on the field trip reminded me recently of being in a state park where a group of young adults were doing some volunteer brush cutting work on a hillside. It gave me the heeby jeebies because I was quite sure no one had warned them about ticks. I hung around a while hoping someone would get in range so I could go into my warning spiel. No one did and I had to leave. This was a park where a couple of years ago they were giving campers a tick folder. Guess they ran out.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always glad to hear of success!!! HAve a great trek and remember to come back and tell us all about it. We can't wait for the pictures!!

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement