LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Was IV Rocephin hardest at beginning, middle, or ending of treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Was IV Rocephin hardest at beginning, middle, or ending of treatment?
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on oral abx for 1.5 years. Since I'm just 70-80% better, My LLMD suggests I go on to IV.

I need to figure out the best timing. I can take a month off work, and should schedule it when I'll most need it. I had assumed that I should take the month off at the beginning. But in searching old posts, I saw someone who said she spent the entire first month off of IV Rocephin in bed while her brain adjusted to the rocephin leaving her system.

So did you have your greatest difficulty with IV Rocephin (a) adjusting to it at the beginning, (b) during the entire treatment, or (c) when you went off?

I really appreciate your input.

I

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for some help here!
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how long will you be on it.

you will herx hard. the more bacterium the heavier the herx. hence harder at the beginning than the end.

actigall is good to take defend against any gallbladder problems, milk thistle as adjunct as well.

pulsing at 4gms a day (2 infusions per day) gets deeper into the CNS than once daily at 2 gms.

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1257

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband continued to work the whole 6 months he was on the IV. He recently stopped the IV and went on Bicillin shots three times a week and Ketek. His Bowen count went down to 1:64 for the first time. It was cut in half as he had 1:128 for 5 years.

Hopefully you will not have a problem with it. My grandson had Rocephin and it worked for him but not my daughter. You have to try meds and not all of them will work and that is when you change again. Keep trying until something works.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MammaLyme:
[B]My husband recently stopped the IV and went on Bicillin shots three times a week and Ketek. His Bowen count went down to 1:64 for the first time. It was cut in half as he had 1:128 for 5 years.

I'm not quite clear -- Do you attribute your husband's lower Bowen count to the IV, or to the Bicillin shots and Ketek? Or both?

Thank all of you for the information you've shared. You all know how hard it is to decide the best course when so much is unknown!

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monkeyshines
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeyshines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely harder for me in the beginning. In general, I've managed to work through my illness, but was home for the first week on rocephin. It gave me all sorts of neuro problems (mild hallucinations, brain fog, neuropathy) I hadn't had before. After the first few weeks, I didn't feel a real distinct reaction from it anymore.

Also, if I ran the IV too fast, I sometimes had a reaction, i.e., breathing problems, extreme fatigue and ringing in ears, so ended up infusing over about an hour each night.

monkeyshines

Posts: 343 | From Northern VA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny question. I would certainly hope the IV is easier on you at the end. If not, it isn't working. My experience was that the first 2 weeks were so-so, the 3rd and 4th weeks were pure hell - I had to take 2 weeks off from work. After the 5th week I started to see improvement and was able to work more. After that, it was a predictable herx - full moon for me.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To tempe:

I would say it was the IV. Now the Bicillin shots are keeping it going. His doctor wanted the Bowen test done after the 6 months to see how he was doing. Great surprise when it was cut in half. As I said, he continues to work. He gets tired but that is part of everything.

Since the nurse did not want to keep an IV in longer than 6 months without getting a port, he had to go off the IV. It all seems to be working.

Hope yours does too.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zipzip:
[B]how long will you be on it.

zipzip, I forgot to answer your question. 10 weeks is the plan.

And to you, as well as monkeyshines, beachcomber, mammalyme, and everyone else, have you (or family members) been able to maintain the progress you made on iv rocephin? How long so far?

Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I were each on it over a year.

The first three months were brutal.

We have maintained and continued progress because we were on orals throughout (combinations for co-infections, and to help prevent cyst formation).
We both had Bb, Mycoplasma, and Bartonella. I also had Babesia.

I went off last summer, and have maintained neurologically..with extremely aggressive alternative focus on immune strength, yeast, parasites, liver, gall bladder following immediately, and continuing to date.

Have done herbal therapies for reproductive ststem, intestines, the other organs and yeast.

I believe that is the reason I have continued to progress. The brain has stayed clear, and the physical symptoms are difficult to identify as to whether they are sequestered Lyme, or toxins and organ sluggishness-related. So...I'm maintaining alternative treatment for both these possibilities..I hope to know in time.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rena
Member # 5830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suffered no adverse reactions to IV Rocephin. The only reason I missed any work was because I had my morning infusion at 8am and wasn't done until around 9, so I got to work a couple hours late. I was tired but I think that was just from all the running back and forth to treatment twice a day.

You never know until you get started - I had more improvement with the Rocephin than anything else I've tried so far. Herxed really bad on the Ceftin/Tindamax and had to back off a little. Hopefully I'll see some more improvement with it.

Good Luck! I hope it gets you over the hump to recovery. What I would give to be 70-80% better! You really do give me hope! Thank you!

Posts: 31 | From Tampa Bay - Florida | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe:

I improved dramatically on my first round of Rocephin until I hit a plateau, then we switched to Ceftin. I then got pretty sick from Systemic Candida & had to stop abx for awhile. During that time I did relapse. But, I think that is because we missed Babesiosis. I started Mepron/Zith and IV Rocephin again and saw immediate inmprovement - like within 4 days. I would have stayed on the Rocephin but after 16 weeks my vein just gave out and I had to have my PICC removed.

So, yes, I would say I really improved on Rocephin and have not relapsed since stopping it last July. I am certainly not cured but I am 50% better than I was before Rocephin and can think and speak more clearly.

Got to hit the co-infections and clean up the Candida for it to work - my opinion.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailsgrl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trailsgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My story is much like beachcomber as far as rochephin.

First two weeks kinda bad, then 3-5 severe herx and hospitalization.

Then mostly steady getting better. 2 mo's of IV

Orals for 6 months after that.

No lyme symptoms for 4 years.

Relapsed this past winter, maybe from steroid shot and/or untreated babesia and Ehrlichia AND bartonella. All three of them in one tiny nymph tic in 1991.

Treating babs with mepron/zith. Feeling pretty lousy all the time now.

hoping for more remissions!

TAKE ACTIGALL FOR YOUR GALLBLADDER as some suggested. Good luck!
Trails

Posts: 196 | From Mesilla, NM USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Thanks so much for those suggestions, all.

It sounds like I should plan my time off at the beginning from the majority's experience.

And thank you for the reminder about treating co-infections first!

I'm going to fax Dr C about whether I should do anything for babesia before beginning IV. I don't think I've been on anything for it because we didn't think I had babesia symptoms -- but it's so hard to know what causes what -- and it would be a shame to go through the IV and have it be less successful than it could be because of not treating babs first.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement