LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » On Doxy, what RX to add for babesiosis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On Doxy, what RX to add for babesiosis?
tom63376
Member # 7220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom63376     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Doxy for Lyme. I suspect the
coinfection babesiosis but my treatment
schedule doesn't show taking anything to
treat babesiosis until month 6.

The schedule shows taking one thing at
a time for at least 4 weeks then
switching to the next thing if no
improvement is felt. After Doxy
I move to Ceftin then Zithromax then
Flagyl then finally clindamycin for babesiosis.

What should I ask my LLDM for that I
can take WITH the doxy to start treating
the babesiosis as well as the LYME???

Thanks
Tom

Posts: 57 | From St. Peters, Mo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't panic. You will treat the babs soon enough. You have to make sure you first clear any possible ehrlichiosis.

Is this Dr C?

If you're really concerned, then call doc's office and ask to take the clindamycin/Q earlier than planned. I would definitely follow his protocol for the first two months before switching to babs meds.

What babs symptoms do you have?

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom63376
Member # 7220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom63376     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I am seeing Dr Crist. In the last
week my brainfog and feeling like death
has gone 3x during the sunlight hours
of 10PM to 5PM. The sun has become much
more intense in the last week as summer
arrives.

It's been pure misery waiting for the Sun
to go down everyday and this is no way to
live. My vision is also blurry during
these hours. I also have extreame
sensitivity to weather changes.

From reading other posts here this seems
like babesiosis symptoms.

So what is the harm in taking Doxy morning
and night for lime and then something mid
afternoon to take on babesiosis?

I have read that Zithromax is a good abx
to work on babesiosis.

Posts: 57 | From St. Peters, Mo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom,
I also use Dr. C and have the same protocol you have.

I took Doxy for a month in Feb/Mar. but discontinued it when we went on a cruise (per Dr. C's advise). It can cause a sensitivity to sunlight.

Maybe that is part of what is going on with you. Check with Dr. C. I know that you are supposed to stay out of the sun when on Doxy.

Posts: 74 | From MS | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom63376
Member # 7220

It seems like I have had this problem
with the sun for years now while being
undiagnosed. I used to drink Beer to
take the edge off last summer.

So here comes the summer and I feel the
symptoms getting worse again but I can't
drink the beer anymore now that I'm on
Doxy.

So I don't think Doxy is affecting things.
I think it's just a sun issue maybe brought
on by a co-infection.

So my question remains.. Is their harm in
taking Doxy morning and night for lyme and
then something else mid afternoon to take
on babesiosis?

pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on doxy for 4 months and something was keeping me stuck. my doctor had me take zithromx and artemisnin with it to see if I herxed. I did not test pos for babs. I got chills, sewats and fever for first time since I got sick w/ lyme on Zithromax. It has been really good. but it does not work for everyone. sounds like you have a good doc. maybe he can add zith w/doxy to see what happens.

I never in my wildest imagination would have thought i had babs. i guess low grade babs can make lyme a lot worse...dont know
your doc will know what to do....good luck!

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pippy:
...dont know
your doc will know what to do....

Trust me, he knows what to do.

You'd have to ask Dr C about taking both meds at once. I don't think it's recommended. By the way, would you please edit out his name? Thanks.

When you get to the babs protocol, you will take clindamycin/quinine for 10 days, then Lyme meds for 10 days. This rotation prevents either disease from getting the upper hand.

I think your eye sensitivity is more likely from the Lyme. I don't recall it being a babs symptom, but it could be.

Like I said, call his office if you are so concerned. He will answer your questions.

There are some drugs you don't take at the same time.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticktoxic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticktoxic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lyme too,

When you say that there are drugs that don't go together, are you talking about just what Dr C doesn't use together, or in general; because doxy and zith are used in combo together by other Dr's. Sometimes they throw in plaquenil also.

I am not saying that Tom should do this, because doxy/zith is used for bart, not babs.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general. I don't know all the combinations that aren't to be mixed.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement