LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » RE: eye problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RE: eye problems
green
Member # 7299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are having eye problems and you had lyme in the past, how can you tell if the two are related?

Symptoms include pain in the eye, watering, floaters. Doctor doesn't think it is lyme because he says that usually involves light sensitivity.

Any advice?

Posts: 5 | From harrisburg, pa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Svengali Eyes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Svengali Eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Green,

I had lots of eye problems. Very dry eyes, peripheral phenomena, halo effect while driving at night, things looking wavy when focusing, not being able to read books because of eye problems.

Yes, light sensitivity is one of my more permanent lyme symptoms.

Get a full eye exam, especially if you were ever on levaquin. If the eye doctor finds no problem then it probably is the lyme.

You can find alot of useful information here, welcome aboard.

Sven

Posts: 120 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Green,
Floaters are a big Lyme symptom. The Lyme bacteria can affect the cranial nerve to the eyes, causing all kinds of problems.

There is a Lyme literate neuro-opthalmologist in Lancaster, if you are interested.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same symptoms eye pressure pain, dry eyes, floaters. I do notice more problems out in the sun or under florescent lighting though. About 5 years ago I used to have really light sensitive eyes. I would wear sunglasses all the time. Now they are not sensitive to the light has bad. I think Lyme is a disease is too broad to simply say that all Lyme involves light sensitivity. I might agree with Svengali, I went through a battery of eye tests doctor told me eyes were healthy. That is funny they don't feel healthy too me. My eyes are probably my worse symptoms now especially the left one.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
green
Member # 7299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would be inteterested in seeing that opthomologist in Lancaster. The biggest problem that I am having now is getting doctors convinced that Lyme might be a possibility. They seem to think it is not likely. To me it is very likely since I was diagnosed with lyme in the past.

Thanks for your response.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:
Green,
Floaters are a big Lyme symptom. The Lyme bacteria can affect the cranial nerve to the eyes, causing all kinds of problems.

There is a Lyme literate neuro-opthalmologist in Lancaster, if you are interested.

Carol

Posts: 5 | From harrisburg, pa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your email is not listed in your profile.
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a "confirmed" Lymie yet but a suspected one; have my first LLMD appt next Tuesday.

I have rapidly deteriorating vision in one of my eyes (in addition to a few other neuro sx); one of my regular docs made me go for an eye exam in connection with monster migraines.

There they were perplexed to find "a large and unusual area of retinal degeneration."

In humans this is kind of unusual, but if you do a Google search on "retinal degeration" and "lyme" you get a bazillion hits all relating to dogs and cats with Lyme diseases attacking animals' retinas.

Dunno if it's reversable but it would be nice to stop it, at the very least!!

The eye doc took a most impressive 8x10 glossy photo and admitted he had never seen anything like it and is clueless but the LLMD seems far from clueless.

I'd agree to definitely see a Lyme literate eye doc or get your LLMD's advice in the matter. Good luck!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
green
Member # 7299

Were they able to treat your lyme with antibiotics?

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle M:
I'm not a "confirmed" Lymie yet but a suspected one; have my first LLMD appt next Tuesday.

I have rapidly deteriorating vision in one of my eyes (in addition to a few other neuro sx); one of my regular docs made me go for an eye exam in connection with monster migraines.

There they were perplexed to find "a large and unusual area of retinal degeneration."

In humans this is kind of unusual, but if you do a Google search on "retinal degeration" and "lyme" you get a bazillion hits all relating to dogs and cats with Lyme diseases attacking animals' retinas.

Dunno if it's reversable but it would be nice to stop it, at the very least!!

The eye doc took a most impressive 8x10 glossy photo and admitted he had never seen anything like it and is clueless but the LLMD seems far from clueless.

I'd agree to definitely see a Lyme literate eye doc or get your LLMD's advice in the matter. Good luck!

Michelle

deb obrien
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deb obrien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi green - a couple of years ago i experienced a r eye focusing problem - later diagnosed as the retina not getting enough oxygen - at the same time was diagnosed with babs so it all made sense...

however, it improved greatly when i went back to my b12 shots - i had not been taking them for a long time - didn't think they were doing anything - now i take them regularly as i believe, for me, they are preventitive...
good ludk,
deb

Posts: 122 | From richmond, ca, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement