LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » babesia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: babesia
Jacq
Member # 7320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had Bb and coinfection for 7 months before being diagnosed. he is on Mepron, zithro, and plaq.for 2 months now. Feels like not much change. Anyone out there know how long it should be before he feels more hopeful?
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm sorry your son is going through this.

I'm assuming you are saying that your son had Bb and Babesia for 7 months before any diagnosis.

If he was not treated for Lyme before the Babs treatment, he may not really begin to feel better until he has begun Lyme treatment. It's necessary to treat the Babesia first though.

I was treated for Bb for 2 years before Babs was found and treated. I started feeling better shortly in to my Babs treatment. I also felt worse at times too.

Tick born diseases sometimes end up feeling like the cure is worse than the cause.

There is no way to tell how long it will take an individual to get better from Bb. At least with Babesia, treatment usually helps. There is a chance of relapse though.

Take care,

Corgilla

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have babesia.

Is that standard to treat babs first before Lyme? I heard the other way around.

I will post another for my questions about babs protocol.

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry about your son. Every case is a little different but I can tell you that it took me about about 18 months of treatment for babesia and Lyme until I turned the corner.I hope this isn't too discouraging. If an old coot like me can get better, I am confident that if your son hangs tough for a bit longer,he will start having more good days than bad.
Posts: 228 | From Wassaic NY. USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corgilla- After 11 mos. of treatment for lyme, I just started Mepron/Artemisinin (along with Ketek) for babs. My doc. made a clinical decision as I did not test positive. After three days on this protocol I had a soaking night sweat but none since. Do you think this is confirmation that I in fact have babs?
thanks, LC

Posts: 116 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweats/chills are very common for babs, as is chest pain. Our LLMD treated the lyme first, to reduce bacterial load, then hit the babs with the standard tx.[zithromax/mepron]

He also did plaquenil/artemisinin for babs along with the zithromax.
LLMD's do have diferent tx protocol's based upon their experience with their patients.

Some treat it first, others wait a bit. My son had lyme for about 3 months before receiving tx. He showed no improvement after tx for at least four months. The Bb's are very stubborn, so hang in there, one of these days he'll start showing improvement.

In initial tx you think they're never going to get better, but they do, and once recovery starts with children, it can happen much more quickly than with adults.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacq
Member # 7320

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jacq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your input...in answer to Corgilla, no he was not treated until he was diagnosed after the 7 months, he is being treated by Dr. J. and we couldn't ask for more, just wanted to find out others experiences.
quote:
Originally posted by Jacq:
My son had Bb and coinfection for 7 months before being diagnosed. he is on Mepron, zithro, and plaq.for 2 months now. Feels like not much change. Anyone out there know how long it should be before he feels more hopeful?

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFter nine months of IV Rocephin for lyme, I stopped getting better...not well....Doctor tested for WA1, for which a test had just been developed. I was positive off the charts.

It took almost two years, but we got rid of the WA1. Six months later I was almost rid of all lyme symptoms when I was bitten again...tested positive for both lyme and babs again...

In my case it was clear that the babs was keepin me from erradicating the lyme....The doc says that babs needs to be treated in order to successfully cure lyme in the long run.

I believe that treating for lyme first is appropriate in some cases depending on how ill the patient is...get the load down, then treat for babs, then go back and clobber the lyme again....

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement