LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Magnesium- Need the correct Oral type

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnesium- Need the correct Oral type
proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Icon 5 posted      Profile for proud pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are so many differt types.

Which is the correct oral kind?

LLMD said 400 mg of magnesium

Got to store and seen there were a couple different kinds (mag oxide etc.)

Husband just started Levaquin for Bart after 9 months IV Rocephin for Lyme

Posts: 191 | From Eastern Shore. Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one I use. Great results, no intestinal side effects. Also, they will send you a free sample and a couple of rebate/coupons. No money coming my way on this one, just a happy customer (PS - any pharmacy can order it for you if it isn't in stock...)
http://www.magox.com/why.htm

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to take Magnesium also. They recommended Thorne Magnesium Citrate. I order it from www.myvits.com
Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ibrakeforticks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ibrakeforticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my chiro suggested magnesium glycinate, so i guess it depends on who you ask. where's marnie? what kind does she suggest?
Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

With the Mg oxide, take some acidic liquid with it; e.g. lemon juice. Purpose is that you need an acid in the stomach to maximize absorption. Best to stop anti-acids if your going to take this.
The older we are the less acid our stomach makes.

While I haven't taken this in years, given the link durmater gave showing the amount of magnesium in it,I think I' m gonna try this.

Dura- thanx for the link.

I think the mag-citrate yields 10% mag., but there's benefits to this that Marnie wrote about for this,see Links by TreePatrol

[This message has been edited by pq (edited 22 May 2005).]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take mag citrate. I think ut has the fewest intestinal side effects (for me). I get the runs from some of the other forms of mag.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

If you drill deep into commercial lab sites and pubs on processing Bb and/or parts thereof, you'll see the use of MgCl2 in the mid to later steps. This was one reason for choosing this form. I also used the other forms. I avoid the glycinate form, for now, any way.

[This message has been edited by pq (edited 23 May 2005).]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just returned from a cruise to the Mediterranean and have lots of catch up to do.

Valletta (Italian doctor) used Mg pyrophosphate (and sublingual B6 - works WITH Mg) to cure cancer and autoimmune diseases. I do not know what KIND of Mg the Romanians used to restore the "significant deficiency" in 2 patients with early stage lyme.

I checked around when in Italy (pharmacies - an English speaking pharmacist looked it up for me) and Mg pyrophosphate is not avail. OTC there. That's not to say we can't sub. In my updated nutshell post, I talk about what pyrophosphate is...

Citrates do inactivate PFK (an enzyme that is "rate limiting" for glycolysis) and this form is cheap, very. Hitting Bb from this angle (glycolysis - sugar, not oxygen for energy, ATP) is also what "Cat's Claw" is all about. Avoid insulin spikes. No sugar. Complex carbs are okay and NEEDED.

That said...the TIMING of Mg doses is CRITICAL! This is the key. I repeat...TIMING is CRITICAL. Much moreso than large doses a few times per day!!!

Think, "small doses often". Look very carefully at the doses and timing in Valletta's patent. This maybe why Dr. B recommends slow release Mg. However, look at the doses in "slow release" Mg...not enough, IMO. And I don't particularily care for another ingredient in it.

We DO absorb things thru our skin. I have talked about Epsom salt baths and ionic Mg from Liquimins...just a little (!) on the forearms or legs. These too are cheap.

Have you watched the news recently? On Web MD, statins are now being considered to treat cancer! Remember, Valletta and the Romanians and ICHT in Italy...all were cancer related places too...hum... Statins AND Mg (!) inactivate an enzyme that starts the cholesterol pathway. However, statins have some undesirable side effects.

Bb follows the cholesterol pathway. Documented. To inactivate an enzyme that triggers this pathway...harmful? We do need some cholesterol (to form the myelin sheath and to break down to form bile salts...to rid the body of heavy metals). High cholesterol is "safer" than low cholesterol. Low cholesterol puts the body at risk for esp. bowel cancer.

To make HEALTHY ANTIBODIES (our own highly targeted "antibiotics"...we need enough Mg and Ca.

You must accept the fact that this takes TIME...many months! If I had lyme, you can bet I would be taking Mg supplements (and other good nutrient supps, foods) along with Rifing. Target that nasty bug.

Since Mg is considered a VERY common deficiency in Americans, yes, I do personally take Mg as a supp. at bedtime (RDA)...but I do NOT have lyme. I would alter the TIMING and break up the dosages if I had lyme.

Bartonella also uses Mg.

9 months of IV Rocephin? How have you protected his gut? Probiotics...LOADS of them one hour before meals with a full glass of water?

Hard to tell if the infection is gone/leaving or if the infection is merely dormant (cyst form).

My son was very ill. Not lyme, food poisoning I think, but his symptoms were very similar of what happens in late stage lyme...nearly every mineral down, neurotransmitters all low (neurohormones kicked it), beneficial bacteria nearly nil = weight loss, severe depression, joint pains, panic attack (tachycardia - to ER), bladder spasms (urgency), very horrible stools (no beneficial bacteria to absorb and make nutrients), calcium intolerance developed, etc.

I posted what we have been giving him in way of supplements to correct this. He is MUCH, MUCH better (in about 3 months), but is still "fragile" because it takes TIME to bring the nutrients back up, to heal the gut and any stress (depletes nutrients) or falling back to a lousy diet will set him backwards.

I know it will take at LEAST 6-8 months to reverse this. Likely longer given his history. We are reversing long term damage...thanks to Ritalin. Each time his body makes new cells (2 weeks to 8 months), they are "healthier" (more mitochondria, powerhouses). Aging and disease ARE reversible. They both = mitochondrial damage.

Ritalin works by increasing the plasma level of Mg. Where was this "extra" Mg coming from? Likely draining the stores. In the long run, not good. Kids on Ritalin preteen now thought to be at risk for depression and cancer later in life (Web MD articles).

Restoring the balance is what this is all about and it isn't easy!!! ALL the vitamins and minerals work TOGETHER.

But...a body in balance has no disease.

Healing IS possible. BTW, the cruise was fabulous and I did say a prayer for you all in the Sistine Chapel and a wish for your healing with a coin toss in Trevi fountain.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mg malate if you are storing AL (malic acid chelates, removes, AL). Malic acid is also one of the ingredients to make ATP, so not a bad choice. This is the choice of those with fibro. (on their boards).

AL and Mg both burn with a white light. Fireworks trivia. AL is just below Mg on the list of the reactivity of the metals. (Little mineral/metal reacts with a lot of acids to produce hydrogen.) AL is in a ton of things...deodorants, etc. When Mg levels drop, not surprising that the body starts to store this harmful metal.

Many say Mg glycinate is easiest on the stomach. Don't forget we have a very acidic stomach to break down the foods we eat which feed the beneficial bacteria in our gut which in turn also absorb the nutrients for us and they (the beneficial bacteria)MAKE many nutrients for us!

Once again...it maybe that the KIND of Mg (which acid it is attached to) is not as important (?) as the TIMING of small doses.

Eat healthy. Think green and other dark colored foods (antioxidants).

From a COST standpoint...can't beat liquid Mg citrate (taken as a bowel prep)...VERY LITTLE more often. Get an eyedropper to measure doses. Don't contaminate the bottle. Pour a little into a cup and using the eyedropper, measure out the milligrams you want.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achtungBb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The great Dr B in Long Island put me on Mag Tab SR by Niche, order thru your pharmacy. Its pricey, runs about 24 bucks a month, but its worth it. I could tell a big diff when I went on it...muscle burning gone, twitching gone. Its made for people on chemo.

I also take Magnesium by Doctor's Choice, and once a week in my vitamin IV... the Doctors Choice is from Vit Shoppe

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mag Tab SR from niche.....
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Panchito
Member # 4880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Panchito     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Mag Tab SR!

Very cheap actually. I ordered form their website. USD 120 for 600 tablets, excl postage. Dr BN recommends 2 tabs a day, which works out at only usd 10 a month...

Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement