LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. Lionetti in NJ / 8 week IV Treatment = 80-90% success ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Lionetti in NJ / 8 week IV Treatment = 80-90% success ?
tom63376
Member # 7220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom63376     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read some amazing results by this
Doctor for late-stage Lyme patients.

Does anyone see this Dr. and can tell
me what IV abx he prescribes for his
8 week treatment? Does he follow up
with any oral abx or is it just 8 weeks
of the IV abx?

Here is the quote from the article:

"Lionetti estimates he has treated over
1,000 late-stage Lyme patients. For the
majority of those, he prescribes a maximum
of eight weeks of intravenous antibiotic
therapy and estimates the success rate by
treating with such duration is "about
eighty to ninety percent."

Here is the link to the article: http://www.lyme.org/lymelight/trtcontrov.html

[This message has been edited by tom63376 (edited 23 May 2005).]

Posts: 57 | From St. Peters, Mo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is what constitutes success? Improvement in symptoms? "Cure?" Remission?

Klempner, in his NIH-funded study, concluded that treatment did not help chronic cases (which a lot of people here think is hooey), so in this context, the doc you mentioned may only be suggesting that treatment does help those people.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom63376
Member # 7220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom63376     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize all Dr's have access to
the same abx. I was wondering what
IV abx this doctor used because of
the quoted success rate and the fact
that treatment was quicker at 8 weeks.
I'm sure there is more than one type
of IV abx out there.

I have health insurance that should
cover most of the cost so IV abx
might be a better way for me to go.

Posts: 57 | From St. Peters, Mo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom is looking for the magic bullet. And aren't we all.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm posting this for your information, not to bring up dirt. Dr L is on our LLMD list. I would find SEVERAL satisfied customers being making the switch.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/012655.html

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was was treated by this protocol when they had an office in Marlton.

Their success was based on finding DNA via PCR testing post treatment. At 4 months post IV I was symptomatic but had not had a positive PCR. I changed doctor's. I probably was considered a "success" by DR L and his group. At that point they did not treat with orals post IV.

I was very thankful for the treatment I did receive, it did reduce my symptoms. I just wish I hadn't had the 5 month break in treatment between IV and orals.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he work out of Phillipsburg too at one point?

My friend was on his protocol. Didn't help her at all.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all depends on the Docs. definition of
'sucess rate". If it's like MLKEEN says- that it's a positive PCR changing to negative PCR.. and that's his sucess?,.. then Hmmmmmmmmmm there's alot of us that probably fit his definition of sucess.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking from experience..... he mostly uses IV Rocephin and oral zithromax for the 8 weeks. After that, you need ongoing positive PCR's to continue treatment.

I was told that he does not think oral meds alone are effective. Therefore, no orals were given after the 8 weeks of IV's.....treatment comes to a screeching halt(symptoms or not)

My advice is to do a lot of research and don't believe everything you read.

Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Tom

If treatment is considered a success once the patient has a negative PCR, this would indicate a problem in my book. And 8 weeks of anything seems a bit problematic in my book also. Maybe if one saw the tick and started ABX within 24 hours........maybe.....

There is NO test that can show there is no more Bb in the body, NONE!

The PCR is a wonderful test when we can get a positive. Yes, it is 100% accurate BUT only 20 to 30% sensitive. In other words it's like trying to catch a pollywog in an Olympic swimming pool. Nobody with a negative PCR should be denied treatment!

Dr B's Guidelines state the patient should be free of symptoms for at least two, maybe three months before stopping treatment. Most LLMD's are pretty cautious with their promises given the unknowns with this disease and the co-infections. Each of is soooo different and a lot of it is trial and error. Wouldn't it be great to have a cookbook formula for this d#@% disease? This board would not exist!

That's my take.....I have no experience with this doc.

Healing thoughts......lightfoot

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart
and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words".
Unknown

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

There is also a problem with persecution of lyme docs in that state, so it may be that without a positive pcr, a doc would be more vulnerable to persecution.

There are other docs who will treat for a while and then stop because they are afraid to continue, not because they think the patient is healed. It is a no win situation for them. If they continue to treat, they may lose their licenses and be unable to help anyone. If they don't continue to treat, the patients don't get helped and have to look elsewhere. What is happening now is that the state and national health agencies are doing their best to shut down all treatment of late stage lyme. Doctors have a good reason to be afraid and to prescribe accordingly.

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bb - Bb - Bb - Bb - B..
...That's it lou. ( , is anyone getting tired of the Porky-pig joke yet? )

Yeesh.

The boards have to be straightened out, or most Docs LL or otherwise will not be able to treat Lyme & co-infections to efficacy and still practice.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 23 May 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can vouch that Lou's explanation is the reason for this doctor's protocol. He has had big problems with insurance companies denying payments and has lost large sums of money.....this is the reason for the PCR testing.

I guess once you run in to these type of problems, you have to err on the side of caution. I think he is very knowledgable regarding lyme.

Unfortunately, I think more and more dr's are going to have to follow his pursuit. I guess a limited treatment is better than no treatment. Hopefully better testing will be developed, and the LLMD's will be able to practice medicine without the scrutiny they undergo now.

Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negative ELISA=Cured
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true that Dr L and his group lost lots of money from insurance denying payment because of lack of proof that lyme was present.

It was a very user friendly place to get and manage IV compared to many of the experiences I have heard from others on this board. They have an office in Chadds Ford now I would certainly recommend them for someone who needed to do IV.

Our current llmd has felt pressure from med boards and has had to restructure how he manges the business end of treatment. sad.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I know of three people treated by Dr. L that were pronounced cured only to get even sicker after the IV stopped......regarless of how sick they were, treatment was denied until a positive PCR came in.

This is like putting 10 tennis balls in a swimming pool and getting a bucket while blindfolded and trying to capture a tennis ball in your bucket of water. You could practically empty the pool and still not be lucky enough to get a tennis ball in your bucket. PCR works under the same principle.

Clincal Dx. does not work at Dr. L's office, everyone is "cured" after 8 weeks of IV until a positive PCR say you are not regardless of how ill you are.

Orals are not used after you are cured in 8 weeks..................I saw three very sick patients that were labeled cured who went on to find other LLMD's. The whole time you are waiting to get positive PCR testing to get treated....you could actually be clinically Dx and treated by another LLMD.

Many people are thrilled because he does accept medicare payment.

aunt y

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Yes, and the reason for this is persecution from state medical board, at the behest of insurance companies.

Instead of getting mad at docs who are forced into this position, get mad at the people who are doing this to us. And then become an activist.

It doesn't do much good to say that a doc should clinically diagnose, when the truth of the matter is that anyone who can't show a positive test for patients may lose his or her license.

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 24 May 2005).]

Caryn
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is also my understanding that he does not treat the coinfections.
Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glassfish
Member # 5693

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Glassfish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personal experience here.

Dr. L doesn't even see most of the patients

there. I almost always saw Dr. D., or Dr. S.

The treatments are pretty much like what I've

read everyone else has done as far as the IV.

Dr. S. never even looked for co-infections

that I'm aware of, But Dr. D. did. She

Seems to be really up to date on everything

and is pretty agressive as far as insurance

will allow. From what I gathered, If you

wanted orals, they would give them if you

asked, but they didn't suggest them.

Next... they require Monthly PCR's for a

year post-treatment. They must all come back

neg. for you to get the all-clear. (I never

made it farther than about 3-4 months clean.

I am however suspicious of the money aspect

there. As I was awaiting an insurance

approval for yet another 56+ day run of IVs

one of the workers mentioned that it would

be a good thing. The reason surprised me!

They stated that it would be helpful to

THEM because they needed the money.

Don't get me wrong... I did have a pos.

test result. ??however, they seem to

ONLY use MDL for PCR results and I did see

Dr. L. having something to do with that

particular lab itself. I saw it on the MDL

site. Anyone with more info on this??

Finally, Last try on IV, rejected so

they tried orals after I requested them.

They made me too sick to continue treatment

so I left a message with the office. NEVER

got a response. Basically, I told the Dr.

I had stopped the therapy. They knew I was

still sick...and now was off therapy...and

they left me hanging. They are very

difficult to deal with as far as sharing

records with ANY other MD's. (It's like

pulling teeth for the other MD's!!)

Another kicker...last time I was to start

treatment, they stapled a credit application

to the back of the therapy instructions!!

Well, There's the "straight dope" on that.

At least all I know of it. SSL, but I

wanted anyone interested to have a little

"look before leaping".

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom63376
Member # 7220

Wow.. just look at all the trouble I
caused with this little post... Well
at least now I know the IV wasn't
a magic bullet as Lou put it.

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Nothing wrong with a doc sticking with one lab, as, scientifically, this helps with the
validity, accuracy, and reliability of tests, and their development; thusly, and hence better able to meet challenges on these bases.

You minimize variability between labs.

Just addressing one aspect of testing and diagnosis, not any non-medical and legal challenges.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

They use MDL for PCRs because they get a discount for volume which they could pass to patients without lab insurance, like me at the time. It was very helpful. I was tested for co-infections but found neg. I later tested positive for bart. Same lab.

They also know how to maximize the free drug program, which is also a good thing. All the IV supplies were included in the weekly office visit, for me anyway. I don't know how it worked for insurance patients, but no one was keeping a record of the supplies used, just the drugs. They were very strict about coming in weekly to get checked.

My understanding is that they do do orals, short term after IV now. I was told this by another former patient, so I don't know this for sure.

We have to remember that 3 years ago IV rocephin was still thought to be the best and only course of treatment for long term lyme. The thinking was just turning while I was being treated.

Mel

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tom63376:
Wow.. just look at all the trouble I
caused with this little post...

No trouble at all, tom. You asked a question and you got it answered. That's a good thing.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isnt this Dr L (NJ) the one that is facing charges due to tax filing issues?

- I might be wrong but I thought it was.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Lionetti has helped many people and is a good person to consult with about IV therapy for Lyme. However, if coinfections are involved one needs to look beyond his office. He will not use Igenex testing (whereby my Babesia was finally found through Dr. B in NY.) He will only use MDL labs for PCRs and they never caught my Babesia- which was BIG in my FULL diagnosis.

I went on IV meds twice thru them. They helped joint pain and cognition but my Brain SPECT still had abnormalties and I still had headaches. I could have all the anitbiotics in the world and if I didn't have Babesia treatment I wouldn't be getting better!

I few of my family members went there too and the same thing happened- not enough adequate treatment for the coinfections! Very good for lyme but needs to deal with all tick diseases! As far as my family is concerned the success rate going there was not 80-90%- I think that is old data!

Dr. Lionetti knows lyme and knows it well and is better than an average doctor. But int his day and age you can't treat people if you really don't delve into the coinfections!

Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AZURE WISH:
Isnt this Dr L (NJ) the one that is facing charges due to tax filing issues?

- I might be wrong but I thought it was.

Yes...I provided the link above.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by MRB:
A Dr. E. in NJ (not the Flemington Dr. E.) has been recommended highly to me.

in Jackson?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, if all it takes to be cured is a negative PCR, I've never been sick! [bonk]

It's all my head, I guess! [shake]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can not judge the efficacy of limited duration treatment by the people on lymenet due to the inherent fact that short term sick people are very much less likely to spend any time with Lymenet.

There are MANY uncomplicted lyme cases that are cured OF THEIR SYMPTOMS by limited duration treatment. I know a few of them. In fact these people constitute over %50 percent of the poeple that I know that have suffered from Lyme. Once they recover, they more or less go back to their normal life (sometimes with some deficientcies though)

There are an unluckly few that are not in this category and either relapse or never get well in the first place... Many of those find lymenet in a search for answers.

When I say limited duration I am including both IV and oral only treatment. Despite some of the the highly one sided and biased stuff that the IDSA says one thing that they are reasonably correct on is the fact that MOST people recover from UNCOMPLICATED Lyme with relatively short term treatment.

The end result depends on a lot of things, two of which are how long the infection was present and what the total bacterial load is. If both of these parameters are favourable there is a good chance that it is a fixable condition.... a lot like cancer i guess..... If you you start treating too late, you are often screwed.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

One more bounce would be a good thing, MRB!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

buggedbylyme
Member # 9556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buggedbylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your last comment hit me hard. It took over 20 years for me to get a diagnosis. I am now 47 years old, expecting my first grandchild in july and don't even know if I will be able to hold him/her due to weakness and tendonitis. You compared it to late stage cancer. My mom had late stage cancer, stage 3 breast cancer and is in full remission, is 70 years old and is more active than me. My husband thought it sounded pretty sick but I told him that I would rather have contracted cancer than lyme. My chances of getting better would've been higher and there would have been more respect for the disease and what I am going through. I just moved here to the east coast from the midwest so atleast people are familiar with lyme here but in the midwest, they don't know what lyme is and if they've heard of it and what the treatment process is, they think you're a nut. Bottom line, yes, we're screwed. Obviously, not an up day for me.....
Posts: 70 | From essex fells, nj | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

No. You're not screwed. You CAN get well!! I was not dxd until I was 49, and I believe I've had Lyme since I was around 8 yrs old.

I'm doing fine now. You CAN get well!!! Repeat after me!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement