LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Massage tomorrow- should I worry?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Massage tomorrow- should I worry?
NUTBOBUTT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7242

Icon 5 posted      Profile for NUTBOBUTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a 30 mn massage tomorrow(Christmas gift). Should I worry about herxing with that? I think I'm already herxing on my abx.

Anybody that's had any experience with massage and lyme would love to hear from you!
Thanks,
Lynette

Posts: 109 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lynette,

You could but it depends on your critter load. When I was really bad my heart would race when I would got a massage.

Remember to drink plenty of water to flush toxins. Enjoy your massage!

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ove message but always flare afterwards. Still, I get them from time to time. The get the toxins moving around so drink a lot a water, then drink a lot of water, and then drink some water. A bt bath with 2 cups of epsom salt s good to .... then go to bed.

Eat healthy ..... keep as much toxic stuff out of your boday as you can.

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy it. You may feel all stirred up after. As the others have said, drink tons of water after and just lay back an relax. The chetes will be mad but the massage benefits will outweigh their little anger dance. It will pass.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi NutBoButt,

I am in Massage Therapy School. We learn our sequences and practice these on each other.

The first couple massages I got up from the table with double vision but it resolved in 5 minutes.

I had a very clear sign this was detox...running to the bathroom afterwards. I have not experienced it since...so I think it will be beneficial but like everyone said it may stir things up.

I would drink a ton of water, take some digestive enzymes on their own without a meal before the massage, and rest afterwards.

Enjoy and post how you did. I am very curious since I do want to work with Lyme patients and there has been very little study of lyme and massage therapy.

I can tell you that it is known to increase killer T cell activity so hopefully it will kick the lyme in the proverbial butt...

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lynette,

If you have any pain symptoms, tell the masseuse before the massage. If you normally have muscle pain, you want the massage to be easy on those points. If not, it can become inflamed later and cause severe pain.

Robi's suggestion of a bath is good, particularly with warm water. You may also want to use a heating bad after the massage on any areas you think may get tight.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I suggest taking a warm epson salt Hydrogen Peroxide bath after the message.

I have had many messages. If your skin is sensitive you can have an energy message which mean they will touch you skin gently.

ENJOY IT, do not worry, you will defeat the pupose.

Good luck,
Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nut,

all excellent advise you have received....

I splure once a month for 1 hr. massages. Make sure if you are extremely sensitive to touch/pain that they massage you with the lightest, pleasurable touch the entire time! Speak up; you're paying for pleasure not pain.

I always drink 3-4 32 oz. of water daily; need to drink even more after a massage for toxin elimination.

I also use my 5 frozen ice packs that I switch every hour on numbing my pain. I hurt the next couple days after but it's worth getting a few KNOTS out of me!

My left thigh/sciatic is terrible & has been the last year....wish I could get rid of this pain permanently. Enjoy.

Bettyg, Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nut...

All excellent advice.

I'm officially a massage therapist, but am not working as that would take away from my lounging around all day with my lyme & bab bugs.

As far as lyme & massage - I don't have the combined experience.

I do know that massage will help you to release toxins - so REALLY push the water afterward.

If you can, since this is your first lyme massage, if at all possible, I would suggest you find someone to drive you & pick you up. After a good session, you can never tell how YOUR body is going to react. Is the session far from home?

Just make sure the dizziness/wooziness subsides before you drive.

ENJOY! I'm jealous, and wondering why I haven't got a massage lately - I should know better! Wait! I DO KNOW better!

Bad, bad DR Wiseass!

Blessings,

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a massage every week. It has never made my symptoms worse and usually makes me feel much better.

I always drink lots of water.

Enjoy!
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look at it this way. If the massage helps to get toxins out of your body then it can be a good thing right?? I know that when I get them, I definately feel sore and a mild herx reaction for a couple days. However, I know its good for my body and its so relaxing to have it done too!! Hope you enjoy!

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it will help immensely. Lots of good suggestions have been given here.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started treatment my LLMD told me to get some body work. Had tow per week 1 hour each for 3 weeks. When they first started my concetive tissue was filled with crap. They explained it as a kind of fizzy texture under my skin and between muscle tissue. Thier goal was to get some of this moving and they did. They focued on the points on the left rib , spleen points. And along the ribs both front and back. I am very glad that I drank a lot of water and did many baths. This was go intial therepy. It help quite a bit for me. Be each of us is different.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NUTBOBUTT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7242

Icon 10 posted      Profile for NUTBOBUTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for replying!

Had my massage yesterday and I have to say that before I went in I felt really good for a change.

I drank a ton of water(I usually do anyway).

I stiffened up last night for a bit and am a bit more stiff this morning but other then that I feel pretty good.

I might have to have that done again soon!

Posts: 109 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like rolfing, but I dont think it is for everyone.
Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rolfing...Kara; I'll never forget that painful, not pleasant experience.

It was my 1st massage & I told massager that I had fibromyalgia pain in all 18 of 18 tender points. She then "rolfed" me...I told her she was hurting me, but she proceeded anyway....deep tissue stuff. I did not enjoy 1 second of that 1 hr. for $60.

Kara, it's like you said....doesn't work for everyone; we're each unique.

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HiHopes
Member # 7286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiHopes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is very interesting to me; Last year while being treated for Lyme I saw an acupunturist. I Told him I was being treated for Lyme and he'd had experience with other patients undergoing treatment for Lyme as well.

He did the treatment and I was in horrible, excrucitating pain before I even left the building. A couple hours later I hurt so bad I could hardly move. This lasted for about a week...

I guess this thread explains to me why that happened...Anyone else have acupuncture done and had this happen? Is it possible it may be beneficial to bring the ketes out of hiding for the abx to reach?

Posts: 31 | From Northern VA, US | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnbitter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnbitter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:
She then "rolfed" me...I told her she was hurting me, but she proceeded anyway....deep tissue stuff. I did not enjoy 1 second of that 1 hr. for $60.

Ug rolfing was the worst! I made her stop. That was actually before the fibro/lyme stuff started. It's never felt good! Just really painful.

Thai massage has really been great for me. I'm hyperflexible so it's really great to get the muscles stretched out and relaxed.
It's a little hard to find someone that does it but it works great for me.

Posts: 207 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I had a massage that triggered nerve pain in my shoulder a few years ago that had me in severe pain for 3 weeks.

I didn't know I had lyme then and told the therapist about that shoulder before hand and to leave it alone, but didn't think it would be that bad and was only suppose to do that side a little. Be very firm about this, as they often beleive that you need a bad area worked.

Other than that I would feel the tension leave my body, but of course would be sore for a few days etc.

Take Care
Lymiecanuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nukegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nukegirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should never let anyone touch you who is not certified as a medical message therapist. They can make things worse if you have a certain condition of Fibromyalgia, arthritis, lyme, etc...
I visit my medical message therapist for usually 25 minutues. Every responds differently but I find that for me I have a small flareup in a certain muscle every time. But it feels wonderful and reduces stress for me normally. Depends on where you are in your treatment phase. Also, duration of the massage can make a difference. Always drink plenty of water also.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nuke,

You are so right.

Also, people have to be careful. We have a very popular Japanese spa here. They do alot more than massage.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement