LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » hypotension

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hypotension
lsudvm
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lsudvm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have chronic LD and have started having problems due to hypotension. this is new. My BP usually runs around 110/70. Lately, it has been around 88/63 and lower. Anyone else have this problem??? I am off abcs this month. That is the only change in my meds.
Posts: 40 | From Brandon, MS. USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease can cause this. I have it oo. The best way to get checked out is to have a Tilt Table Test done by a Cardiologist.
You may have Lyme-induced Neurally Mediated Hypotension. When Lyme inflammes the vagus nerve leading from the heart to the brain, hypotension results. You may also have an increased heart rate. treatment for NMH is beta blockers (atenolol), florinef, and zoloft or midodrine.

There are lots of things you can do to feel better. Avoid heat, take cool, not hot showers, avaoid dairy, avoid prolonged standing, caffiene, alcohol, sugar, and make sure you take in atleast 2 quarts per day of water. Adding salt to the diet helps many people. Before treatment my BP was dropping all the time, I passed out a few times in the heat and once in the shower. The worst is the shakiness and fatigue it creates.

Email me if you'd like to talk.

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to wildcondor, make sure you stay well hydrated, eat small meals throughout day with protein to avoid severe drops in blood sugar and avoid stress.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Member # 7132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luthien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I had the same thing. It's back up to around 110/something now, but for a while it was in the 85-90/ range and I was passing out. Positive tilt table test, but the doctors at that time couldn't figure out what was causing it. They were good people and supportive and kind, just uneducated. I had to wait two years after that for a diagnosis.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got it also. Before treatment, I had to walk alongside walls and couldn't make it from my bed to the bathroom without blacking out.

Cardiologist did tilt table test. BP dropped to 56/0 (not detectable).

Cardio doc put me on proamatine (midodrine) which helped. After two years of abx I was able to discontinue the midodrine.

WildCondor: what is the reasoning behind avoiding dairy? I hadn't heard that before.

------------------
Tabby

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this as well. Would pass out in the grocery store from it. It was scary. Babs treatment got my BP back to normal.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement