LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dumb question: can a person do IM Rocephin? OUCHHH

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dumb question: can a person do IM Rocephin? OUCHHH
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 10 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, is rocephin a drug that you can do IM or will it turn your but into a rubber ball and hurt like hell and do nada for the keets?
just checking
anyone found any Im Bicillin? yes? I'll trade you my Menudo record collection for it you can't get it on ebay!

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning Pippy,

Yes, IM Rocephin is an option.

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 10 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie!
Does the program for getting Rocephin from Roche apply to IM Rocephin?

Does anyone know if they are finding that it works as well as Iv rocephin for neuro?

Also, what are the dangers of Im rocephin?

Thanks! This is giving me hope!

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pippy,

The meds from Roche come as powder in little vials unconstituted (unmixed), so it could be used either way IV or IM.

I used it IV. My homehealth care took the meds, and mixed them up for me each week as needed.

I have known several others who do Rocephin IM. But since I have no first hand experience, I'm sorry that I can't answer the other questions.

Keep your hope alive!
Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks melanie
Pharmacist said you hve to do Rocephin Im every day and that it hurts!
She seemed to know a little "too much" about lyme...hmmmm
She asked if I was going to try IV Rocephin as that seemed to be what she heard helps!
Its unusual around here to have someone know about lyme like that

Glad you are doing better...just gotta get me and the hubby on something good!

James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pippy,

IM Rocephin is a little uncomfortable, but not unbearable.

The more kind Drs. will prescribe you a vial of 1% lidocaine to mix with it instead of water so it numbs as it goes in. That way, the shot is not very uncomfortable at all. You might still notice a sore spot the next day.

If you need to go that route insist on the lidocaine.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pippy,
IM Rocephin and IM Bicillin are both proven quite effective in treating neuro Lyme, though they are in different classes of abx.

IM Rocephin may very well be an effective alternative to Im Bicillin; if you absolutely can't get that Bicillin, that is a route to consider with your LLMD.

I don't know if you've read the thread I started on obtaining Bicillin...several posters responded with some great information. Personally, I solved this crisis by ordering Bicillin through our insurer's mail order pharmacy. Though they did not have the full quantity on hand when I called, by the end of the next day, they had somehow managed to order enough to fill the rx.

Good luck!

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do IM Rocephin, but it does not have to be every day. I did mine on Saturday and Sunday only. It has to be taken 2 days in a row to stir up and kill the spirochetes. You get the powder at the pharmacy, and mix it with lidocaine (seperate Rx0 get an Rx for needles and syringes and you will be all set, just have a nurse show you how to do the injections.

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainless
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6771

Icon 3 posted      Profile for brainless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mixing Lidocaine with Bicillin and
Rocephin helps eliminate most of the pain.

b

Posts: 210 | From lalaland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jo3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Rocephin mixed with Lidocaine for a few months- I believe it was every other day at the full dose. It did hurt alot but you need to inject it VERY slowly as I remember the pain would race down my leg immediately. I preferred the OUCH instead of all the gastro problems I was constantly going through. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Posts: 247 | From san antonio,tx | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my LLMD first diagnosed me with Lyme, he wanted me to start on Rocephin immediately. Unfortunately, we couldn't schedule the appointment to get the PICC in for four days, so he had me do Rocephin IM during that time.

For those four days I went into the doctor's office to get the IM injections, one gram of Rocephin in each butt cheek (two grams total).

I was a pain in the butt (both literally and figuratively) to deal with. I was much happier once I got my PICC in, and I couldn't imagine getting Rocephin IM every day. It's just too big a volume of medication, too often for it to make sense.

I spent 17 months on the IV with no PICC problems. Since then I've also done six months of IM Bicillin, which makes sense since it's only twice a week (and a much smaller volume of medication).

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement