LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IVIg feedback?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IVIg feedback?
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been contemplating this protocol for some time. Any feedback, opinions, or experiences with this treatment regimen? Thumbs up, thumbs down?
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump #1.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the source of the Ig?
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Donated blood products from multiple donors.

[This message has been edited by Foggy (edited 22 June 2005).]

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that your answer?
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gut feeling is - no. I have never heard it mentioned in the many hours of lectures. And my doctor tries anything that is intelligent and has a chance to work and is not in the danger zone considering the world of today. But I have my qualms on this one!

Will let you know when I have a chance to ask, if you are interested. You may have different reasons for leaning that way.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In animals we use IgG plasma products for varying reasons. We use an IgG product for Clostridial infections that resists the toxicity from when the bacteria dies due to the antibiotics to prevent the toxins from causing CNS damage. However in animals the IgG is specially innoculated for specific responses, and there is still an issue of potential carry over of other infection (as with any blood product).

While they can screen out for AIDS and other illnesses fairly well, the problem is the blood donors are NOT screened for things like babesia, lyme, bartonella, GWS, and other things which may be passed along.

I think you should know exactly how the source was collected, prepared and what specifically it was prepared for, prior to accepting it.

I find that a much bigger risk than taking IV abx personally.

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
My gut feeling is - no. I have never heard it mentioned in the many hours of lectures. And my doctor tries anything that is intelligent and has a chance to work and is not in the danger zone considering the world of today. But I have my qualms on this one!

Will let you know when I have a chance to ask, if you are interested. You may have different reasons for leaning that way.

Take care.

Yes, thank you GiGi, that would be very helpful.

levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foggy,
you said that you had considered "this protocol" for awhile....are you talking about Dr. Ks protocol? or something else? Can you give more info?

Lish's mom...interesting about IgG and possible blood contamination - sounds a bit risky from that point of view.

~Nancy

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Yes, Dr. K's, but insurance wouldn't cover an out of network MD. I'd have to find an MD who would work with him. This may be a tall order, but, not impossibile.

My LLMD said he had tried IVIg in the 90s and it was not helpful in either puting his patients in remission or reducing symptoms. Consequently, I was loath to try something that may be hit or miss.

yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Foggy,

I have a primary immune deficientcy--which is genetic disorder--and was known about before I contacted the borrelia in Germany

I found out about the PID when I was in my early 30's (though they started looking for it when I was quite a bit younger)-I'm just a wee bit older than that now (ha, ha, ha)

They use IVIG for moderate to severe cases of PID

Prior to contacting borrelia--I was always able to keep the immune system strong--thru a good, healthy lifestyle--alternative measures used to enhance the immune system, and thru using vaccinations( depends on which antibodies your body is not producing at normal levels) to boost b-cell maturity( My bone marrow produces enough b celluar matter--it does not "mature" appropiately) So they are not as efficient in doing their job as b-cells that mature correctly--that's a pretty simple explaination of a much more complex process.

I wanted you to know my history before hand--so that when I tell you that IVIG helps me--you will understand that I had a sub-clinical immune deficiencty prior to the fateful tick bite( nasty German tick)

Once the borrelia got "hold" of me-I never really stood a chance--since my immune response was never "normal" to begin with.

It's been hard to explain this to some LLMDs..or even other lyme patients--as they always believe it is from the Lyme--and therefore...once you get the infection under control....the immune system will "correct" it'self"

Well, I'm doing pretty well these days--and the immune system has "never corrected it'self"

Much to the "shock" of my previous LLMD

Good thing that I have the genetic testing to prove that this was aquired at birth--so they realize that they are looking at yet another type of borrelia patient--one that had an compromised immune response to begin with.

I've often wondered if there are more of us(CVID prior to B.B)--and have found a few others like myself out in LymeLand

So, yes...it helps me--and I know a "bit" about it--as I've gotten it for over 36 months' straight now.

Prior to the 36 mo. time frame--I would recieve it only as needed---usually after a bout of myco P, ect.

So, I'll tell you what I've heard about it from the Lyme perspective:

As the Hamptons' Boss (Doctor B.) stated in his protocol--if the immune system checks out as normal--it does not help really at all

Many B.B patients will suffer transcient IgG subclass deficiencties--also called Hypogammaglobulinemia--lower than normal levels of antibodies found in the blood

Many times the correct treatment of the infection will correct this situation

Sometimes it doesn't, and then testing with regard to immune status should be addressed--and the famous Doc states this.

Just using IVIG on a DX of Lyme--I was at one of the large conferences on TDB infections this spring---and the general conscensis--was that it doesn't help. (that may be just one groups' opinion)

Almost no insurance companies will cover IVIG on just a borrelia DX, either--whether you have positive testing, or not.

Now, if you are a lyme patient who presents as an MS patient--many times you can get the IVIG covered under that DX--and I have heard several lyme patients who present in this manner--feel that it helps their SX greatly

If you are to recieve IVIG on the DX of Chronic Demylenizing Polyneuropathies(CDP)--you may be able to recieve insurance coverage for this DX. And it is a well known, and excepted treatment modality for this condition--seems to work for everyone.

So far as the concerns following IVIG usage--yep, they are real--but there are not any recently known contamination problems( since late 80's,early 90's) so it's been over 15 yrs with no problems

Considering the CNN piece that I saw today about ice being contaminated with E.Coli in most restaurant ice machines that were tested--I'd say that just plain living might very well poise some of the same risks as IVIG

My IVIG comes thru CareMark--and they had me send them back a dosage that they felt may have come from the wrong supplier--there was nothing wrong with the product--and it still had to be destroyed.

One of the biggest problems is the patients' inability to withstand the side-efects of treatment--it can be a "herx" like no other.

But most of these can be resolved

But if you are immune deficient, like me--This is the way that I look at it:

I can possiably pick up something of an infectious nature from IVIG

Or,

I can just walk around with a severely deficient antibody production--and catch something that is capable of putting me "six feet under"

The choice was already made for me--I'll take my chances with IVIG.

And hope for the best.

[This message has been edited by yankee in black (edited 23 June 2005).]

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thnaks for your comprehensive reply Yank.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement