LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can ABX make autism worse in 2 year old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can ABX make autism worse in 2 year old
marciap
Member # 7268

Icon 5 posted      Profile for marciap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my son has not had a herx reaction in 8 weeks and does not seem any better at all and in fact his limited talking seems even more remote. i read somewhere that ABX makes autism much worse? any advice?

Marcia

Posts: 19 | From Belle Mead, NJ, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you called Dr. Jones? Who is treating him?

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marciap:
my son has not had a herx reaction in 8 weeks and does not seem any better at all and in fact his limited talking seems even more remote. i read somewhere that ABX makes autism much worse? any advice?

Marcia

Thats a tough one. When abx are added it can make "normal flora" turn ugly. Abx s/b used only if infection is clearly evident.

I strongly suggest adding a silver supplement . Search pandemic and silver for info.
luck

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marciap
Member # 7268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marciap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Jones is treating him and believes strongly in ABX but i just can't stop worrying that this might be the wrong thing for matthew and i have gotten advice from autism doctors to get off ABX. i get conflicting advice so i keep hoping to get some kind of clear answer! thanks.
Posts: 19 | From Belle Mead, NJ, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have the best doctor in the world for pediatric lyme. Listen to him.

The question is whether the autism was triggered by infection or is concurrent. Think that only adequate treatment for the infection will allow you to separate out the autism from the infection.

Treatment frequently makes symptoms worse, from the herxheimer reaction. That is probably what is happening.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely.

Abx. deplete nutrients these kids need.

Trust me...I have a son with Asperger's (high functioning autism). He also has other problems all indicative of missing nutrients.

Autistic kids produce too much stomach acid. There is a reason why...high stomach acids PROMOTE the growth of the beneficial bacteria (likely because this breaks down the food, to "feed" the beneficial bacteria).

Autistic kids have antiserotonin antibodies in their blood streams already.

That's for starters.

They are missing/need much higher levels of nutrients.

You wouldn't believe the success of giving nutrients to Down Syndrome kids. It doesn't correct the genetic damage but GREATLY lessens the impact. These kids on nutrients do soooooooo much better learning, developing, etc. (Back issue, April, I think, of Alternative Medicine). Amazing!

Our body's do not "require" silver. Nor do they "require" pyridium or lithium...

[This message has been edited by Marnie (edited 22 June 2005).]

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikken
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some discussion as to whether or not abx might actually *cause* autism in some children. But you have to deal with the Lyme, too...

I would make sure that this kid is on a whompload of probiotics and support his gut health as best you can with a gluten and dairy-free regimen.

Good luck. Autism sucks.

Posts: 369 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marciap
Member # 7268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marciap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it possible that his positive lymes test is not really indicating active lymes. except for autism, i would never guess he had lymes but for the fact that i had while nursing. i don't know enough about these tests but others have told me that they do no indicate active lymes and maybe he already beat it before i started all the ABX.
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could give you an answer, I'm so sorry for what you are going thru. I'm going thru a very similar situation - wish I knew the answer.

Good luck.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babies and children have MUCH more Mg in their bodies than adults (more mitochondria - powerhouses - in all the cells). Thus they stand a better chance at survival. This is where Mg is stored...INTRAcellular. Inside the cells....where ATP is made.

They get Mg (and of course other nutrients) from mom as they are developing esp. in the first few months when the brain is developing (need a LOT of Mg there!)

If mom's Mg level drops = nausea and vomiting. Know what they give now...zofran to block serotonin production. They give this drug to cancer pts. too who have the N/V associated with very toxic, very acidic chemotherapy.

See how this begins to fit together? Years ago they gave nauseated moms Bendectin which was an ANTIHISTAMINE and one of the B vitamins!

Calcium needs to be consumed to harden the bones so youngsters can stand, walk.

It is a Mg deficiency that causes the lyme symptoms...which are many and varied. I've linked each in my "Long overdue" posts.

Can babies be Mg deficient/low at an early age/ at birth? Mine was! Diarrhea by 2 days of age...needed to be put on Soy formula (SLIGHTLY higher in Mg)stat. Intolerant to "regular" formula -> digestive problem.

Genetic damage or active infection which crossed the barriers?

The amniotic fluid...gosh, I just read about it...contains some remarkable things to PROTECT.

Just before birth, "a secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor concentration increases in amniotic fluid with the onset of labor".

This maybe preventing the secretion of elastase? and thus preventing inflammation esp. problematic with lungs.

If that's the case, it MIGHT also help to knock off any pathogens too by blocking elastase, making the child more alkaline.

Stem cells are harvested IMMEDIATELY from cord blood. Do we cut the cords too fast sometimes?

Go with testing to determine if your child has active lyme or is, for an unknown reason, missing particular nutrients/needs more.

Even WHEN and IF Bb is completely eliminated, symptoms continue until the body is rebalanced. This takes many months.

At your expense (unfortunately) a simple urine test can determine mineral status. This may provide clues.

Children need to build up their calcium stores for lifetime protection, so this can be really hard...diet wise.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to search autism and immunization.

Sorry to open another bag of worms.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to a very long but incredibly informative article that ties a lot of things together for those who have autism, chemical sensitivities that started since going on meds, and those with heavy metal problems.

It may be that your son has a deficiency of PST (phenol sulfotransferase), a sulfur-bearing enzyme that detoxifies many meds and some of our own metabolites. About 85% of autistic children tested have this deficiency.

There's a good chance this article will expain what's going on.

Good luck.
http://www.newtreatments.org/fromweb/sulfur.html

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the B. doctor brothers spoke about exciting new things happening regarding autism at Hope to Heal.........

and yes, like Janet mentions there is research involving/connecting childhood immunizations.

Dr. Jones, though, is the man-saint that everyone regards with trust/confidence because of his many years taking care of children with lyme/co.

If my son were young, I would go to him.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Autism: A Unique Type of Mercury Poisoning
go to: www.altcorp.com/dentalinformation/autism

You will find a lot of published research and testimony. Prof. Boyd Haley of that institution testified before US Congress.

There is an excellent woman doctor in New Jersey, Dr. P.K., PhD, whose very expertise is treating children with autism. She is also familiar with Lyme Disease.

It is very possible that the die-off brought about by abx releases mercury in the body, if there is a mercury toxicity to start with. This could very possible intensify symptoms and just redistribute the mercury to other places of the body. My doctor has discussed this many times during his teaching seminars. Some people refer to having a herxheimer -- not totally correct.

A good doctor having some basic knowledge of heavy metal toxicity should be on the lookout for that happening and take precausions.

I don't know many people that are not mercury toxic, sorry to say. Thimerosol in vaccines also is known to be a cause in autism. It is alread termed an epidemic in children.

Look at the testimony before the US Congress by researchers. If Mom also has mercury in her system, it is transferred to the child in utero and with breastfeeding.

It is not wise to rely on simply a hair test. Infants that show no mercury in the hair are not able to release it. Infants that show mercury in the hair when tested have the ability to release it, or at least some. In any case, it is something to look into. (This hair test interpretation goes for adults, of course, also. But other factors play a role in the diagnosis of toxicity).

Hope you get the help soon.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement