LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Found WEIRD tick on son, 7

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Found WEIRD tick on son, 7
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a tick on my 7 year old, between the buns as it were, last night. The weirdest thing is that I don't know what kind of tick it is. It is very small and the pattern on its back almost looks like a sea shell (ridges of different colors running out). It is very, very small and almost a cream brown.

Took child to doc and he is starting zith twice a day. What is the difference between zith and the med most perscribed after a tick bite?

Dr. J still hasn't called so may have to go to Connecticut after all.

Doc said tick bite looked inflamed and we would start the zith and see what he can tolerate.

Where do I send the tick? Doc thought we would just treat--save me $100 (knows we are broke) but I want to send it off--what if there is something new in there?

Any help is apprecciated.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good that your doc started treatment.

Guess you know that IgeneX tests ticks. So do some other places like in states where public health dept has made special arrangements. Don't know of any in TN, but maybe you could make a call and see.

Here is one website on tick ID. If this is too technical, try googling tick identification and see if other websites are more helpful.
http://webpages.lincoln.ac.uk/fruedisueli/FR-webpages/parasitology/Ticks/TIK/tick-key/

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a Lone Star Tick to me...and they are found in your area.

Send the tick to Igenex or call your county health dept. to see if they do tick testing.

Botton line, if the kid is sick with a known tick bite and a rash, treat....that's what you are doing. Zithromax is a good first line drug for kids. Doxy can be too caustic for many children to tolerate well.

Watch for GI problems, meaning, remember to replace the flora and fauna in your son's gut that the Zithromax is killing along with the lyme bugs..Yogurt, acdophilous, etc...The runs and cramping are pretty common side effects of zith in kids and adults.

Personally, I prefer these side effects to the ones with doxy. It gave me a gastric ulcer over time.

You're a good mom to look out for your son!

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linda LD:
It is very small and the pattern on its back almost looks like a sea shell (ridges of different colors running out). It is very, very small and almost a cream brown.

Sounds a little like a male American dog tick. They usually don't carry Lyme but can carry other nastiness. Glad you're getting him treatment. Maybe your County extension office will test the tick for free? Some do, though of course IGeneX would be better. Good luck!

Michelle M

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He already has Lyme. I think he had it at birth--he had bells palsey at his 6 week check up and when I asked about it the doc said he was sorry my child wasn't symetrical enough. He also slept with one eye open and always had some kind of infection going on. I think I gave it to him, but my doc wont comment. I think he thinks he is helping me because at first I had HORRIBLE guilt but I guess I am better--I didn't know I was sick.

If it is a lone star it is very young--it is just so dang small. I'm very familiar with long star, dog and really think we have quit a few deer ticks--but maybe not--I think of one tick that when engourged is as big as a lone star but has a brown back and black head and legs?

I'll go check out this site. Thank you all very much--I just wanted to be sure we are giving him the right thing--my doc is learning too!

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

I couldn't tell--maybe it was too technical--I could get the tick out of the car and look...

I've got to see if the hunt thingie is working so I can find an address for I****

Sent the thing off to IG to test for everything but Lyme--we already know he has lyme--right?

How long should he stay on the continuous zith? Doc said see how he tolerates it

L

[This message has been edited by Linda LD (edited 23 June 2005).]

Lymerayja
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymerayja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, if it's not too late, and if you can raise the cash, maybe you should have it tested for Lyme anyway? The reason I say this is that you may be forced to deal at some point with ignorant local docs who don't believe there is Lyme in your area - this may just be the thing that convinces them.

I am very sorry to hear about your little boy. However as you no doubt know, Dr Jones has a worldwide reputation for having helped thousands of Lyme kids - so you're in excellent hands there.

Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by Linda LD:
[B]I couldn't tell--maybe it was too technical--I could get the tick out of the car and look...

Posts: 284 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda,
Put the ticks in a plastic baggie with a piece of damp cotton.
Igenex lab
Tick test request form: http://www.igenex.com/formset2.htm

(Download DOC form, and print.)
You can have all the ticks tested in one batch, for several diseases.

Hope this helps.
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soft ticks, like the kind that carry relapsing fever, are described as looking wrinkled. Did your tick look wrinkled?

Relapsing fever is caused by a different species of borrelia.

Range of these ticks includes south central states. Seems like that would include TN.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a good tick id. site: http://www.tickinfo.com/index.htm
Ann-OH

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement