LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is there a Lyme "Look" ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a Lyme "Look" ??
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious for opinions. I have Neuro Lyme and have facial vibrations fairly regularly. I may be a little paranoid, but it seems like the shape of my face is changing albeit slowly. Sort of a tired look(?) Possible loss of elasticity/collagen(?) I suspect the vibrations are having an effect...negatively.

I've not met others that have Lyme "in person" (that I am aware of)...so, just wondering what you all think about whether there is a "Lyme Look".

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at photographs of yourself pre-lyme and post lyme. You might be amazed at the difference in your appearance. Sagging skin in the neck/throat area? Around the mouth? Eyelids sagging? The 'lyme look' is probably bell's palsy. I'd like to ask everyone to do a photograph comparison. It's pretty revealing.
Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the extra 100 pounds might have something to do with it. :-D

Dr. J in Conn. talks about dark circles under the eyes and stuff--I definatly see that in all of us. And just tired--really tired. My children are real thin with big bones--but that might be a family thing.

I see the sagging around my neck and chin--I thought that was being over 40. Will it go away? I''ve been saving for my throat and chin lift!!!

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dafje     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dark circles under me eyes, even though I'm not tired and sleep very well most of the time. Also my face looks puffier and saggier even though I'm only 21. My mom says it's age because I was 15 when I got Lyme and she says everyone gets saggy in their 20's. My mom's almost 50 and looks less saggy than me. If she got saggier in her twenties then I wonder how she was ever able to blink her eyes or yawn at age 15.
Posts: 185 | From the Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look really weird....and if anyone agrees with me, I'm gonna hunt them down!

I used to look awfully pale, and definitely had dark circles. I'm starting to sag, but hey, I'm 54!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dulcamara
Member # 5691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dulcamara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill ATL:
Sort of a tired look(?) Possible loss of elasticity/collagen(?)

I do think Lyme can affect connective tissue such as collagen and elastion.

Lyme definitely affects circulation. I have the dark circles under my eyes that other have mentioned here. When my Lyme flares up the circles get much worse, to the point I look like I have two black eyes.

The circulation problems also make me look, not merely pale, but almost corpse-like. My lips turn almost grey sometimes. Other times they are fine, healthy-looking and rosy.

Posts: 78 | From Northeastern USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark circles for sure for me--jay--
Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family members notice paleness. Very pale.

But mostly what I encounter is people telling me how fabulous I look, how well I look, "You're looking very well" and terrific, etc.

I don't know how to respond. Grateful or wish they knew how I really felt?

[ 19. May 2007, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: henson2 ]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dulcamara
Member # 5691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dulcamara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by henson2

But mostly what I encounter is people telling me how fabulous I look, how well I look, "You're looking very well" and terrific, etc.

I get the "You're looking well" when I'm wearing decent clothes and makeup. Of course, I don't go out of the house much, and when I do I dress neatly and put on a little concealer, blush and lipstick, so most people rarely see me without. I've heard other women with chronic illness complain that if they wear makeup out everyone thinks they are fine, and if they don't wear makeup people assume that they are not grooming themselves due to depression. You can't win!

Posts: 78 | From Northeastern USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 11 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never recognize the person in the mirror!!!

What happened??

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, it is hard to see me in ther.

This morning my four year old was sooo puffy--his little eyes were puffy...makes him look funny around the eyes.

I get this look--almost look stupid, little squinty eyes?

Puffy, puffy, puffy...

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I'm not alone in suspecting this then...

I don't have the circles, but I think I'm seeing a slow drop in my brow and eyelids. The lids are starting to hang close to being over my eyes. I'm also thinking that my once-full cheekbones have lost volume down to my jaw line...

The vibrations go along with periodic numbness as well.

Thx all for your replies and input!

Bill

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about OLD HANDS?

I'm 48 but my hands look like at least 60.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, Gabrielle, my hands were my first symptom, and they aged big time.

I don't know about a Lyme "look," but I've noticed a Lyme body language among those who have long-term infection. Many have figured out how to hold animated conversations while sitting...very...still. I think we have figured out how to grab rest wherever we can.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I've been having these same thoughts too. I contracted lyme at 46, and at that age people told me I didn't look a day over 38.

Now I'm 50 and no one who knew me before is telling me how good I look anymore.
Putting on 40 lbs. didn't help.

Definitely jowly, overhanging eyelids, and very thin, crinkly skin on the backs of my hands. A tired, tired look in the eyes.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement