LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » symptoms return, weight gain in week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: symptoms return, weight gain in week
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you won't believe this , but i just this morning got hit by the proverbial train.evrything in my body hurts today even parts i didn't know existed.
i am praying this is just a bad herx but i have had 4- 28 day herxes of decreasing strenght, now the big one hits, can't figure this damn disease out.
hoping it will subside but can't even walk today. will watch for 3 days and then if not better then back to the iv i fear.
no tennis this week, but i'm still working out in the gym even with the bad pain. i don't want to atrophy the muscles i have.
also something very strange, i gains 8 pounds in last week , anybody heard of that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sort of ABX do they have you on,Doc?

Any change in thyroid function?

Janet, you are too funny!!!

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've heard of it. My ex used to fluctuate a lot and I believe he had lyme.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh H***, docdave, and I thought you were jetsetting.

I gained weight before treatment, now I could care less about food and lost it.

Seems it's IV for you again, I read rocephin is coming off patent in a few weeks.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

me thinks its iv doxy this time around
on zithromax , flagyl and acyclovir, and zoloft.
nothing changed except symptoms got worse over the last week.
been good , been on diet for 16 months low carb no yeast no white stuff lost 40 pounds which helped me be able to exercise. but this quick weight gain has me puzzled.i have not changed my diet.
hiho hiho its off to the llmd i go to see whats up and what is down hiho hiho.

Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc, considering you've been dining at some of the most reknown eateries on the planet, pate', 20lb filets, & fois gras, 8 lbs sounds svelt. Gotta stop scarfing down the Godivas The Donald's chamber maid put on your pillow.

What about water weight? Could you be retaining more fluid? Thyroid issues? What does your LLMD think? What does your Vet, oh I mean PCP (lamentable Florida medicine) think?

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc,

Certain ABX can cause weight gain--20lbs is not uncommon for cef-sporins when used long term.

I also gained weight on Valtrex--and as soon as the treatment was stopped--the weight came off quick.( 25 lbs in 2 months')

Zoloft can cause weight gain--as I had some pretty near hysterical " Ladies who Lunch" girlfriends that gained quite a bit of weight on it

Others lose weight on zoloft, though--so it can be very indiviual.

Certain ABX can also cause hormonal problems--that resolve once the ABX are removed

Checking Thyroid levels have already been mentioned

Cortisol levels should be checked out, too.

If testosterone levels are off, in either the male, or female--weight gain can be a common side effect, as well as increased fatigue, hair loss, other unpleasant "side effects" ( you get my drift)

That's all I can think of right now

Maybe you just had a gourmet week--eating with all the royals, and such!!

All those sauces add on the calories!!

[This message has been edited by yankee in black (edited 27 June 2005).]

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korinne21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say this!

I WISH I COULD GAIN WEIGHT, yes! i am a female and wanting to gain weight, its a weird thing for us.

Im 109 and 5'5 very very underweight, how can i gain weight? will i gain it when i start to get better?

Dave, send the blubber this way please! i need it!

korinne

Posts: 102 | From henryville. PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

hey corrine how about your phone number heheh? my wife doesn't talk to me anymore anyway, i'll wine and dine you at donald's place and fatten you up.
YEH MAYBE IS WAS THOSE EXTRA CHOCOLATES AFTER THE BAKED ALASKA, I MUST CONTROL MY SELF WHEN WITH DONALD, its hard when you got the best
just had full che 20 panel, ana, everything from nephrologist, never even heard of a nephrologist, all tests espically thyroid normal. just have protein in urine which he contributes to lyme since my psa is also high 6. had 3 bx with 3 urololgist in year and a half all negative.

Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korinne21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey dave,

I have traces of ketones in my urine and also low protein, dunno why it beats me.

My thyroid has showed up numerous times but every time it does, its always very boarderline to where they cannot do anything.

I've had the barium swallow, the ultra-sound, and also a whole crap load of blood work. I had a CT once with contrast to check if it was my thyroid, nope. But yet my tests keep coming up hypothyroid????? i dont look hypothyroid, wish i did though, i need some pounds. No matter how hard i try to gain, it doesnt happen.
Heheh.

Korinne

Posts: 102 | From henryville. PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Your weight gain is recent, so this may not be relevant...My teenage daughter has been dealing with mysterious weight issues for 15 months. She eats next to nothing (has diabetes so I am well aware of her diet) and yet has gained more than 30 pounds in 2005 alone.

It is only recently that we have been able to get doctors to recognize that she is retaining HUGE amounts of fluid. It is bad enough now so that it is obvious(Poor thing looks huge), and also the edema "pits" (indentation stays awhile after they press).

Don't mean to scare you...as I said, probably your situation is different.
But for all folks out there dealing with weight gain and fluid retention...

The best way to get help is through an MD who is open to or who practices some alternative medicine. Right now, my daughter has finished a 2 month yeast treatment w/fluconazole and diet. She tried going gluten-free. Now she's doing a full elimination diet, which will be followed by reintroducing foods one at a time to see which ones are contributing to her problems.

The idea is that the abx encouraged yeast, which have caused "leaky gut" in which food proteins and various toxins go directly into the bloodstream from the gut lining, then causing reactions,including swelling.

Even the headache which I have posted about for years, now seems to be caused by this fluid. The top of her head bulges and has a pulse.

She had protein in her urine last summer when this was developing,and peed all of 1/4 cup in 24 hours. For months, none of the water she drank seemed to come out! On this new diet, she is now gettig up three times/night to pee, which is hopeful.

My daughter also had borderline low thryoid that was not treated because it was attributed to Lyme. Her new doc is retesting thryoid, also adrenal glands (linked to hypothalamus, production of cortisol and aldosterone etc. all linked to body's handling of fluid). He also did Lyme and other TBD tests, and tests for mycoplasma and other pathogens.

I have been reading the "Waterfall Diet" by Lazarides, which details all this... got the book after we started with the doc.

I will let you know what happens in the next few weeks...And it may just be a very temporary metabolism thing w/you.

BTW the WORST thing to do is limit eating, if yor problem is similar to my daughter's.This only increases retention of fluid. Keep protein up. And try to drink pure water frequently.

p.s. This problem for her was sudden onset in 3/04. She was on tetracycline and zithromax, then also Trazadone. It has continued off abx. IN 4/04 she swtiched form trazadone to zoloft for ehadache, but got off zoloft in 8/04 when we thought it was causing this. But the problem has persisted. Yeast was visible and biopsied by endoscopy of GI tract in 3/05.

Chocolat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I have been told by reliable sources, LLMD's included, that rapid weight gain is due to a sudden over load of released toxins----love fat cells---

She had such a rapid weight gain that they thought it had to be Cushing's disease.

I have gaied 7# and up in a week.

Detox gently---WATCH THE DIET--it will eventually subside.

BTW----glad you are back on here !

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Toxins play a role in leaky gut also...so there are some similarities in these suggestions.

Just to clarify, the diet suggested for my daughter includes basically only rice, lean chicken or fish, low-glycemic veggies (no corn!), low-glycemic fruits (green apples, blueberries). All foods from scratch. Organic if possible. Throughly clean all foods to eliminate toxins (such as pesticides). Pure water frequently to help w/cleansing.

My daughter's swelling looks much worse
in the lower half of her body on the fourth day of this diet, but top half is much better.
They said things would be worse for a few days, due to the release of toxins and the body's efforts to get rid of them.

As I said, she is finaly peeing and drinking. She lost 7 lbs. in 3 days!
On a diuretic she lost 12 pounds in 2 days, but it came right back if she didn't take it. Doctors think she has 20+ lbs. fluid in her.

I am the world's biggest skeptic and it is weird to be recounting this. My view of medicine has radically changed in the last few months!

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that I sometimes have a short-term weight gain. I believe it's related to two things - bloating and inflammation.

I never used to get bloated prior to Lyme treatment, but now, if I eat a very salty meal or fly I get bloated for about a day.

Days my joints hurt, I also some times look and weigh heavier. I realized my feet are usually puffy then, and I think it's just plain old inflammation. You get puffy, there's liquid in the joints, that must weigh something, right?

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement