LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Root canals ...not w/lyme.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Root canals ...not w/lyme.
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that no lyme patient should ever
have a root canal because it can make us
sicker. Is this true, and is it better to
have it pulled?

I can't bear this today.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gradually losing my teeth due to being on life support years ago.

I have had about 5 root canals since being infected with Lyme. I have had absolutly no problems.

I am sure that as with anything, it all depends on the person.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for more responses.
Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Di,

I just wanted to stop by, and say that I hope that you are doing well( as well as you can do with chronic lyme)--even with the dental issues!!

I have had friends with lyme who had root canals--and no noticable problems( note that I said noticable)

And then there are those who really saw a decrease in over-all health after the procedure--so it must be fairly indiviual.

Hope DocDave can help you with your decision

Kara: I'm still in amazement at all that you have been though--and all that you have been able to accomplish!

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When life give you lemons...make lemonaid
Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Di, you're a bit like me--very sensitive. For whatever reason I was never able to tolerate root canals, I think it was the gutta percha which is essentially some kind of melted rubber that hardens. IT made me sick and I had to have it out. There is something I was able to tolerate, biocalex, but it's not nearly as effective at sealing the tooth. I finally decided pulling a molar was not so bad. It takes about 20 minutes, is virtually painless, and then you know ALL the infection is out. The concern with root canals is there are 3 miles of dentin in the tooth, and the bacteria are still in there. Yes you've taken out the nerve so you can't feel the bacteria, and sure, if you're healthy, your body will easily take care of that little cesspool of bacteria, but why add to the load if you're fighting slyme?
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to see the pictures of root canals on the "Healing Journal" site. They don't copy and paste. You might want to take a look at the pictures after you read the text below on Cavitations and Root Canals.

Most cavitations are located under the root canals. Cavitations are the home for all the undesirables - bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc.

I had 12 root canals - they are long gone.
After they were successfully removed by an oral surgeon, did my health start to slowly return. It takes time to get the thioethers out of the body! Same thing for my husband, who had no root canals, but cavitations galore - he gave his wheelchair to the goodwill seven months after the cavitations were cleaned out.

One of the worst things some people do is getting an implant into an already sick jawbone! I did that too because I did not know how sick my jawbone was from the amalgam already - I did not have Lyme then yet. That implant for thousands of dollars went out with the root canals. I wanted to get well again.

Inform yourself and try not to panick. I live without my root canals a very wonderful and good life again. So does my husband.

Take care.
http://www.altcorp.com/AffinityLaboratory/rcttreatment.htm
http://www.thehealingjournal.com/articles/articlev11a02.

Cavitations
By Dr. Karen Shrimplin

Everyone knows what a cavity is, but cavitations are much less well known. Both words come from the same root word, ``hole.'' A cavity is a hole in the tooth, whereas, a cavitation is a hole in the bone that cannot be detected through visual inspection!

History and Overview
The term ``cavitation'' was coined in 1930 by a well known orthopedic researcher to describe a disease process in which the lack of blood supply to an area of bone resulted in a hole or ``hollowed out'' portion of the jawbone or other bones in the body. This was also described in 1915 by Dr. G.V. Black as a progressive disease of the jawbone which kills bone cells and produces large hollowed out areas of bony tissue or a soft mass enclosing particles of necrotic (dead) bone. He was intrigued by the unique ability of this disease to produce extensive jawbone destruction without causing redness, swelling of the overlying tissues or increasing the patient's body temperature. Black suggested that surgically removing this dead necrotic tissue was necessary to promote healing of the jawbone.

Current Use of Term ``Cavitation''
In the last decade, the term ``cavitation'' has been used not only to describe lesions appearing as empty holes, but also various types of lesions in the jawbone, found through tissue analysis to be lacking in oxygen, necrotic (dead), bone infected and toxic. These lesions are often located in old extraction sites and under or near the roots of root canal teeth, avital (dead) teeth and wisdom teeth. Sometimes they seem to spread extensively from these locations throughout the jawbone and may penetrate the sinuses or totally encompass the jaw nerve.

Recent Research
Recent research by Dr. Boyd Haley shows ALL cavitation tissue samples tested contain toxins which significantly inhibit one or more of five basic body enzymes necessary in the energy production cycle. There are indications that when these toxins combine with chemicals or heavy metals, such as fluoride or mercury, that more potent toxins may be formed. Research from Germany indicates the jawbone may be a holding tank for chemicals and heavy metals (especially wisdom teeth sites). Clinical experience indicates it is sometimes difficult for some patients to successfully detoxify mercury from the body until after cavitations, as well as fillings containing mercury are removed.

NICO-Cavitations Accompanied by Pain
The term NICO, neuralgia-inducing cavitational osteonecrosis, has been used when severe facial pain, neuralgia, headache or a phantom toothache accompanies this disease. Even if pain symptoms or localized jawbone symptoms are not present, systemic symptoms can be extensive. The intense concern expressed by several researchers and physicians earlier this century about the systemic influences of these lesions has finally become a concern for contemporary, progressive dentists, physicians and researchers.

CAVITAT
Dr. Bob Jones, the inventor of the CAVITAT (an ultrasound instrument designed to detect and image cavitations) found cavitations of various sizes and severity in approximately 94% of several thousand wisdom teeth sites that he scanned. He also found cavitations under or located near 100% of root canal teeth scanned in both men and women of various ages from several different geographic areas of the United States.

Wisdom Teeth Sites
One source of data indicates that 45% of all jawbone cavitations are located in the third molar (wisdom teeth sites). These areas are particularly predisposed because they contain small terminal vessels (microvasculature) and osteonecrosis is a disease of such vessels. Injections for dental procedures are often given near these areas. If the local anesthetic used contains a vasoconstrictor (often epinephrine), it may shut down the blood supply to the bone in these areas. For this reason, the use of non-vasoconstricting anesthetics is indicated.

Recommended Treatment
The recommended treatment of cavitations at the present time remains the same as that proposed by Dr. G.V. Black: surgical debridement (scraping clean) the area to remove all unhealthy bone and all pathology such as abscesses, cysts, etc. It is not sufficient to ``punch'' a small hole in the bone, drill a little and rinse it out. In fact, this, and the practice of injecting these lesions with homeopathics and other substances, may very well increase the severity of the lesion instead of lessening it. After the unhealthy bone is removed, the goal is bone regeneration. Success of this occurrence, up to this point in time has depended a great deal on the healing capacity of the individual's body and the treatment or elimination of predisposing and risk factors, which is not always possible. Lack of healing or reoccurrence of a lesion and the need for retreatment is always a possibility, no matter how well the surgery is performed. There are very few dentists who are trained in effectively diagnosing and treating these lesions. Those who are not so trained are not qualified to diagnose this condition or confidently assure patients that they do not have a cavitation.

editor's lower left jawbone - June 2003

editor's lower left jawbone - June 2004 - after cavitation surgery!

Prevention of Cavitations
There are new instruments, products and technological applications which may improve prevention and treatment procedures and enhance the bone regeneration process. Many questions are yet to be answered, and more research is needed to perfect the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cavitations, but our knowledge is increasing daily. Most importantly, many individuals are receiving relief from local and systemic symptoms, diseases and pain by the surgical treatment of cavitations.

This article, by Dr. Karen Shrimplin is gratefully reproduced with permission from Affinity Laboratory Technologies, founded in 1997 by Dr. Boyd Haley, Professor and Chair of Chemistry Department, University of Kentucky in Lexington. Their web site, www.altcorp.com, is brimming with useful, up-to-date information.

Another brilliant and informative web site that explains cavitations in simple words: www.hugnet.com.
Also, you may want to check out www.toothwisdom.net.

For an update on the CAVITAT, an imaging device designed to detect the presence of jawbone cavitations using non-invasive, unpainful and safe sonography, see www.cavitatmedtech.homestead.com.
The before and after cavitations on the previous page are that of the editor's, Merrie Bakker. The cavitational scan was performed by Dr. Madeson Basie, the only dentist at this time who uses a cavitational scan in the Greater Vancouver area. For dentists there is a local site of interest: UHS Ultrasound Health Systems (Bayne E. Boyes, CMA, FCMA) at: www.ultrasoundhealthsystems.com.
Mr. Boyes has brought this technology to Vancouver.

For even more information see the article by Brent Ralston, Cavitations ... the problem of hidden infections. The Healing Journal. June/July `03, pp. 6 & 7 and at: www.thehealingjournal.com

NOTES FROM TOOTH WISDOM
(www.toothwisdom.net)

A cavitation is an unhealed hole in the jawbone caused by an extracted tooth. Since wisdom teeth are the most commonly extracted teeth, most cavitations are found in the wisdom tooth sites. The graphics above demonstrate the destructive and pathologic consequence of a routine tooth extraction.

Dentists are taught in dental school that once they pull a tooth, the patient's body heals the resulting hole in the jawbone. However, approximately 95% of all tooth extractions result in a pathologic defect called a cavitation. The tooth is attached to the jawbone by a periodontal ligament which is comprised of ``jillions'' of microscopic fibers. One end of each fiber is attached to the jawbone and the other end of the fiber is attached to the tooth root. When a tooth is extracted, the fibers break midway between the root and the bone. This leaves the socket (the area where the root was anchored in the bone) coated with periodontal ligament fibers.

There are specialized cells in the bone called osteoblasts. Osteoblasts make new bone. The word "osteoblast" means bone former. They are active during growth and maintenance. However, the periodontal ligament prevents the osteoblasts from filling in the tooth socket with bone since the periodontal ligament fibers lining the socket act as a barrier beyond which the osteoblasts cannot form bone. In other words, an osteoblast "sees" a tooth when it "sees" periodontal ligament fibers. Since there are billions of bacteria in the mouth, they easily get into the open tooth socket. Since the bone is unable to fill in the defect of the socket, the newly formed ``cavitation'' is now infected. Now there is no blood supply to the ``cavitation''. This results in necrosis (tissue death). Hence we call a cavitation an unhealed, chronically infected, avascular, necrotic hole in the bone.

The defect acts to an acupuncture meridian the same way a dead tooth (or root canal tooth) acts. It causes an interference field on the meridian which can impair the function and health of other tissues, organs and structures on the meridian.

Significantly, the bacteria in the cavitation also produce the same deadly toxins that are produced by the bacteria in root canals. These toxins are thio-ethers (most toxic organic substance known to man), thio-ethanols, and mercaptans. They have been found in the tumors in women with breast cancer.

Cavitations
By Dr. Karen Shrimplin

Everyone knows what a cavity is, but cavitations are much less well known. Both words come from the same root word, ``hole.'' A cavity is a hole in the tooth, whereas, a cavitation is a hole in the bone that cannot be detected through visual inspection!

History and Overview
The term ``cavitation'' was coined in 1930 by a well known orthopedic researcher to describe a disease process in which the lack of blood supply to an area of bone resulted in a hole or ``hollowed out'' portion of the jawbone or other bones in the body. This was also described in 1915 by Dr. G.V. Black as a progressive disease of the jawbone which kills bone cells and produces large hollowed out areas of bony tissue or a soft mass enclosing particles of necrotic (dead) bone. He was intrigued by the unique ability of this disease to produce extensive jawbone destruction without causing redness, swelling of the overlying tissues or increasing the patient's body temperature. Black suggested that surgically removing this dead necrotic tissue was necessary to promote healing of the jawbone.

In the last decade, the term ``cavitation'' has been used not only to describe lesions appearing as empty holes, but also various types of lesions in the jawbone, found through tissue analysis to be lacking in oxygen, necrotic (dead), bone infected and toxic. These lesions are often located in old extraction sites and under or near the roots of root canal teeth, avital (dead) teeth and wisdom teeth. Sometimes they seem to spread extensively from these locations throughout the jawbone and may penetrate the sinuses or totally encompass the jaw nerve.

Recent Research
Recent research by Dr. Boyd Haley shows ALL cavitation tissue samples tested contain toxins which significantly inhibit one or more of five basic body enzymes necessary in the energy production cycle. There are indications that when these toxins combine with chemicals or heavy metals, such as fluoride or mercury, that more potent toxins may be formed. Research from Germany indicates the jawbone may be a holding tank for chemicals and heavy metals (especially wisdom teeth sites). Clinical experience indicates it is sometimes difficult for some patients to successfully detoxify mercury from the body until after cavitations, as well as fillings containing mercury are removed.

The term NICO, neuralgia-inducing cavitational osteonecrosis, has been used when severe facial pain, neuralgia, headache or a phantom toothache accompanies this disease. Even if pain symptoms or localized jawbone symptoms are not present, systemic symptoms can be extensive. The intense concern expressed by several researchers and physicians earlier this century about the systemic influences of these lesions has finally become a concern for contemporary, progressive dentists, physicians and researchers.

CAVITAT
Dr. Bob Jones, the inventor of the CAVITAT (an ultrasound instrument designed to detect and image cavitations) found cavitations of various sizes and severity in approximately 94% of several thousand wisdom teeth sites that he scanned. He also found cavitations under or located near 100% of root canal teeth scanned in both men and women of various ages from several different geographic areas of the United States.

Wisdom Teeth Sites
One source of data indicates that 45% of all jawbone cavitations are located in the third molar (wisdom teeth sites). These areas are particularly predisposed because they contain small terminal vessels (microvasculature) and osteonecrosis is a disease of such vessels. Injections for dental procedures are often given near these areas. If the local anesthetic used contains a vasoconstrictor (often epinephrine), it may shut down the blood supply to the bone in these areas. For this reason, the use of non-vasoconstricting anesthetics is indicated.

Recommended Treatment
The recommended treatment of cavitations at the present time remains the same as that proposed by Dr. G.V. Black: surgical debridement (scraping clean) the area to remove all unhealthy bone and all pathology such as abscesses, cysts, etc. It is not sufficient to ``punch'' a small hole in the bone, drill a little and rinse it out. In fact, this, and the practice of injecting these lesions with homeopathics and other substances, may very well increase the severity of the lesion instead of lessening it. After the unhealthy bone is removed, the goal is bone regeneration. Success of this occurrence, up to this point in time has depended a great deal on the healing capacity of the individual's body and the treatment or elimination of predisposing and risk factors, which is not always possible. Lack of healing or reoccurrence of a lesion and the need for retreatment is always a possibility, no matter how well the surgery is performed. There are very few dentists who are trained in effectively diagnosing and treating these lesions. Those who are not so trained are not qualified to diagnose this condition or confidently assure patients that they do not have a cavitation.

There are new instruments, products and technological applications which may improve prevention and treatment procedures and enhance the bone regeneration process. Many questions are yet to be answered, and more research is needed to perfect the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cavitations, but our knowledge is increasing daily. Most importantly, many individuals are receiving relief from local and systemic symptoms, diseases and pain by the surgical treatment of cavitations.

This article, by Dr. Karen Shrimplin is gratefully reproduced with permission from Affinity Laboratory Technologies, founded in 1997 by Dr. Boyd Haley, Professor and Chair of Chemistry Department, University of Kentucky in Lexington. Their web site, www.altcorp.com, is brimming with useful, up-to-date information.

Another brilliant and informative web site that explains cavitations in simple words: www.hugnet.com.

For an update on the CAVITAT, an imaging device designed to detect the presence of jawbone cavitations using non-invasive, unpainful and safe sonography, see www.cavitatmedtech.homestead.com.
The before and after cavitations on the previous page are that of the editor's, Merrie Bakker. The cavitational scan was performed by Dr. Madeson Basie, the only dentist at this time who uses a cavitational scan in the Greater Vancouver area. For dentists there is a local site of interest: UHS Ultrasound Health Systems (Bayne E. Boyes, CMA, FCMA) at: www.ultrasoundhealthsystems.com.

For even more information see the article by Brent Ralston, Cavitations ... the problem of hidden infections. The Healing Journal. June/July `03, pp. 6 & 7 and at: www.thehealingjournal.com

NOTES FROM TOOTH WISDOM
(www.toothwisdom.net)

A cavitation is an unhealed hole in the jawbone caused by an extracted tooth. Since wisdom teeth are the most commonly extracted teeth, most cavitations are found in the wisdom tooth sites. The graphics above demonstrate the destructive and pathologic consequence of a routine tooth extraction.

Dentists are taught in dental school that once they pull a tooth, the patient's body heals the resulting hole in the jawbone. However, approximately 95% of all tooth extractions result in a pathologic defect called a cavitation. The tooth is attached to the jawbone by a periodontal ligament which is comprised of ``jillions'' of microscopic fibers. One end of each fiber is attached to the jawbone and the other end of the fiber is attached to the tooth root. When a tooth is extracted, the fibers break midway between the root and the bone. This leaves the socket (the area where the root was anchored in the bone) coated with periodontal ligament fibers.

There are specialized cells in the bone called osteoblasts. Osteoblasts make new bone. The word "osteoblast" means bone former. They are active during growth and maintenance. However, the periodontal ligament prevents the osteoblasts from filling in the tooth socket with bone since the periodontal ligament fibers lining the socket act as a barrier beyond which the osteoblasts cannot form bone. In other words, an osteoblast "sees" a tooth when it "sees" periodontal ligament fibers. Since there are billions of bacteria in the mouth, they easily get into the open tooth socket. Since the bone is unable to fill in the defect of the socket, the newly formed ``cavitation'' is now infected. Now there is no blood supply to the ``cavitation''. This results in necrosis (tissue death). Hence we call a cavitation an unhealed, chronically infected, avascular, necrotic hole in the bone.

The defect acts to an acupuncture meridian the same way a dead tooth (or root canal tooth) acts. It causes an interference field on the meridian which can impair the function and health of other tissues, organs and structures on the meridian.

Significantly, the bacteria in the cavitation also produce the same deadly toxins that are produced by the bacteria in root canals. These toxins are thio-ethers (most toxic organic substance known to man), thio-ethanols, and mercaptans. They have been found in the tumors in women with breast cancer.

Cavitations
By Dr. Karen Shrimplin

History and Overview

Recent Research

CAVITAT

Wisdom Teeth Sites

Recommended Treatment

NOTES FROM TOOTH WISDOM
(www.toothwisdom.net)

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had three root canals since being infected and haven't had any ill effects. I've also had several teeth pulled with no problem.

Think the LD sent my dental health down the tubes.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement