LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Edema remedies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Edema remedies?
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning everyone!

Do any of you know of some home remedies for edema...besides diuretics, parsley, and keeping your feet elevated (not an option right now)?

Thanks in advance!
Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning Melanie!

I believe asparagus is a diuretic. (Have any in the garden?) I eating it while retaining water before my period works really well.

I like asparagus.

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie, why not try a nice bath in 4# of epsom salts (that's a bag...in grocery stores too) and a 1# box of baking soda for 25 minutes in warm, not hot(!), water?

Let me know how this goes if you decide to try it, okay?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks BlueBird,
I love asparagus too! I'll pick some up today. Had it in my old garden, but not this one.

Thanks Marnie,
It is a bit too hot for a bath right now, but I'll try it tonight.

I was wonderding two days ago how the heck I could have put on 6 lbs in one day...and then my feet and hands started to swell- mystery solved!

I think it is just a reaction to new meds...so hopefully it will decrease with time again.

I was just reading up on it, and more water was recomended on one site...but I am afraid that will just make it worse...any ideas there?

[This message has been edited by Melanie Reber (edited 03 July 2005).]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for more water, maybe add a little lemon juice.

High potassium foods- bananas come to mind but they're too sweet. Google potassium and food.

My LLMD told me unripe bananas (greenish) are ok but not the ripe ones (brown spots).

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating green beans helps me get rid of water. I avoid eating them if I'll be out all day. They make me pee frequently and I really do get rid of excess water.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

I put on 14 pounds of water weight in the past 5 days!! My knees, ankles and stomach are so bloated I look like the pillsbury dough boy!

I think it must be a lyme symptoms as I have not had a Rx change. This is the second time this has happened in the last six months. My doctor thought I had heart failure but tests said no.

Had tests for heart attack, ultrasounds done to see if there were blocked veins and all was OK. Lasix for three days took away twenty five pounds of water weight!!!

It was amazing, I took one lasix and by evening I had lost 10 pounds.By the third day, I was shocked at how "in shape" I was.

I was able to keep the bloating in check without any lasix or similiar medication for six months and now with the heat and possibly slow kidneys or a sluggish liver..................I am like a balloon again.

As my knees swelled and became painful I took tylenol and then that caused a "rash and even more swelling". I suspected liver when this happened. I doubled up on milk thistle and the "rash" went away in two days but not the bloating.

I have tried natural methods for the past several days but the swelling comes right back................may have to do three more days of lasix.

I can barely walk my knees are so big and filled with fluid. The ultrasound did show that I have two bakers cysts behind each knee.

I also think these bakers cysts are lyme related as more toxins are released then our bodies can get rid of so it deposits into these bakers cysts in the knees.

I have read that juicing with cucumbers and radishes and cabbage and celery melts off the bloat weight. I have not tried this as I do not have a juicer.

I also read that dandelion root from health food store is a natural remedy for bloating.

Good luck.............heat and swelling are not a happy combination.
aunt y

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

I put on 14 pounds of water weight in the past 5 days!! My knees, ankles and stomach are so bloated I look like the pillsbury dough boy!

I think it must be a lyme symptoms as I have not had a Rx change. This is the second time this has happened in the last six months. My doctor thought I had heart failure but tests said no.

Had tests for heart attack, ultrasounds done to see if there were blocked veins and all was OK. Lasix for three days took away twenty five pounds of water weight!!!

It was amazing, I took one lasix and by evening I had lost 10 pounds.By the third day, I was shocked at how "in shape" I was.

I was able to keep the bloating in check without any lasix or similiar medication for six months and now with the heat and possibly slow kidneys or a sluggish liver..................I am like a balloon again.

As my knees swelled and became painful I took tylenol and then that caused a "rash and even more swelling". I suspected liver when this happened. I doubled up on milk thistle and the "rash" went away in two days but not the bloating.

I have tried natural methods for the past several days but the swelling comes right back................may have to do three more days of lasix.

I can barely walk my knees are so big and filled with fluid. The ultrasound did show that I have two bakers cysts behind each knee.

I also think these bakers cysts are lyme related as more toxins are released then our bodies can get rid of so it deposits into these bakers cysts in the knees.

I have read that juicing with cucumbers and radishes and cabbage and celery melts off the bloat weight. I have not tried this as I do not have a juicer.

I also read that dandelion root from health food store is a natural remedy for bloating.

Good luck.............heat and swelling are not a happy combination.
aunt y

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Na bicarb is alkaline. Sodium (Na) will draw out elastase from the tissues (detox)and by "softening" the skin cells...allow Mg to go in...theoretically.

Let me know how it goes. Mentally, this bath made an immediate, HUGE difference in my son. It blew me away.

Looks like sodium gets trapped. Am posting some info. from old files re: Mg and Na, K..how they work together.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hi Janet,

That is exactly what I am drinking now...funny, but I am just parched! I do like greenish bananas too, so I will put that on my developing list- Thanks!

Hello Hats,
Fresh beans, or cooked, or does it matter?

Oh Aunty,
That sounds absolutely miserable ...I am so sorry you have having such a difficult time with this! I too went through the whole ER- congestive heart failure scenario about a year and a half ago with edema. I was REALLY bad off at that time, but gratefully, am much better now.

Yes, it is definitely a lyme thing...comes and goes for me, but is still uncomfortable. I am hoping this is just new meds kicking up some bugs, and doing them in!

Now that you mention it, I do recall TC suggesting dandelion tea way back. Thanks for that reminder! Is lasix a Rx? My doc doesn't want me on any herbal things right now, so I'm not taking milk thistle, but I will ask about it.

I do have a juicer...but it already packed away...perhaps whole cucumbers and radishes? Sounds sort of nice in a cold salad right now.

Thanks again Marnie, I ALWAYS appreciate your wisdom!

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cranberry juice also has the diuretic effect.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Liver,
Cranberry is my juice of choice. I water it down to about 30%, and sip it all day. Thanks!

Hey Marnie,
I have a question re: potassium. I began K-tabs last week to go with Diamox. Is there any relation to the increase in potassium, and water retention?

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:
I was just reading up on it, and more water was recomended on one site...but I am afraid that will just make it worse...any ideas there?

I was told at some point, by an IV nurse, that water is a diuretic and to alternate it with something else to prevent dehydration. (I don't know if this is true, it sounds right though.) She was preparing me for the next day's picc insertion and wanted nice plump veins.

If you drink enough water you should be piddling all day. Just keep drinking, until you gurgle when you move.

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Melanie...I'm concerned. Hyperkalemia? Too much potassium. This is very hard on the body.

Did you TEST low in potassium before supplements were started?

In lyme, it looks as though Mg drops, K and Ca rise at first, but years down the road they drop too. (Cannot hold onto K and Ca if Mg is low.)

Need to watch your electrolytes like a hawk (blood test). Mg levels are notoriously inaccurate, so go by the others.

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks True,
I'll just keep drinking then.

Marnie,
Diamox was prescribed almost two weeks ago to reduce the cranial inflammation leading to severe headaches for me. It worked in the past for awhile, so we're trying it again. The K-tabs, or K-Dur supplements, are prescribed to go with the Diamox since this med reduces Potassium.

I have just been reading up on Hyperkalemia, and I don't think that is the problem. My pulse rate is currently 95 bpm. Although I did read that too much K can cause edema, neuropathy, and nausea, all of which I am experiencing. But, I do think the nausea is a side effect of the meds once I began them, since it has subsided. The neuropathy is pretty standard for me when symptoms flare.

I am pulsing one week on and one week off with this current protocol, this is the week off...so my K levels surely must have dropped, right? Perhaps, it is the fluctuation in K levels that is the problem?

Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie, I posted recently abut fluid retention, and there is a lot of info there...it might be on page 2 or 3 by now.

Lasiz is an Rx, there are other over-the-counter diuretics. Dandelion root or leaf tea, watermelon, and cucumber are all supposed to help.

The main thing is, many diuretics, whether Rx or herb, only treat the symptom and not the cause. And can actuallly aggravate the situation in the long run.

I am not up to repeating everything but if you do a search on fluid retention or look back a bit, there's a lot of discussion recently on this..

Possible causes such as food allergies (from yeast causing leaky gut, for instance), vitamin/mineral deficiencies, too little protein in the diet, sluggish thyroid or kidneys etc.

I bought a book called "The Waterfall Diet" by Lazarides, and a great MD is also helping my daughter w/her extreme edema. Again, more is in the other posts...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks Lyddie,
That was really helpful, and I am so pleased that your daughter is doing much better now!

------------------
[email protected]

Lyddie
Unregistered

Melanie, forgot to ask you to let me know if a diuretic helps your headache...I would like to know if anyone else has had relief with this type of med.

You said you were on Diamox, which I just looked up. Is this still helping? What led the MD to prescribe it?

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Lyddie,

While on Diamox, one is not supposed to use diuretics, so I haven't.

I was first introduced to the med about a year or more ago. It did help with my headaches for a time, but they came back after a few weeks. I think at that time I then switched to Neptazane (?). After about 8 months of that med, the headaches decreased...so I stopped that med as well.

But recently, I have been downing so many Excedrin migraines, and pm's that I thought it was time again to go for an Rx.

I started Diamox again last week...stayed on it for one week, and now am off for a week. This is my pulsing schedule for a bit- one week on and one week off.

I think my LLMD has just about gone through all the headache meds for me, and fortunately, the severity isn't nearly as bad as it use to be. So far this week without the meds I am doing OK headache wise, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I will take edema over a migraine any day!

PS...I answered your ABX and massage questions on the other post

[This message has been edited by Melanie Reber (edited 03 July 2005).]

Marnie
Member # 773

This pulse differs from person to person and is only an indicator of your resting pulse rate. The "normal" for men is 72 bpm (beats per minute) and for women it is 80 bpm, but rates 10 beats either side of those rates fall into the normal range. http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/pulse.htm

Lyddie
Unregistered

Melanie, this is sure fun I'm sure you noticed this, but wanted to mention again that my daughter's headache, which started 1/6/03 and didn't respond to any of maybe 8 drugs, got miraculously better on diuretics. In fact, even the OTC Diurex worked. Now, she is trying t get the same result by reduciing edema w/out the med.

If you have edema, do you think your headache is related? Can you feel a pulse on top of your head when you have a headache?

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey Lyddie,
Yes, I did read that about the diuretics helping with your daughter's headaches...I think that is fabulous, and certainly gives us something to consider.

The problem with me is that I don't have constant edema like your daughter does, just periodic bouts now and then...and actually, as I mentioned, this week though I DO have edema, I don't have a headache...go figure?

I haven't noticed my head top pulsing with headaches, but have oftimes felt my temples pulsing with each beat of my heart while having a migraine.

Sorry, don't know if that helps to answer your question or not?

Thanks for the pulse info Marnie. And, BTW- how is that granddaughter doing?

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fresh coconut water from a young thai coconut helps me and is YUMMY! I like it chilled best.

Heard its good for the liver too but haven't checked it out yet.

I've seen diuretic teas in health food stores but haven't tried any.

While we're on the subject, though not a home remedy, the best way I've found to decrease edema is with a Light Beam Generator or it's upgraded version the ST8. The more heads the better.

For four years straight I suffered from painful edema. Nothing helped as much as this machine.

I'm not scientific so can't really explain in any detail except to say they are low current machines.

If interested do a google search. The manufacter can tell you about local practitioners in your area.

[This message has been edited by DolphinLady (edited 05 July 2005).]

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Melanie!!

Water, watermellon and fresh pineapple (I have pretty good luck with the canned pineapple too.

These are my standards. The others mentioned some other good ones.

Good luck and take good cvare of you with all the packin' goin' on!!

Healing smiles......lightfoot

------------------
[email protected]

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart
and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words".
Unknown

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey mountana...

If I remember right... you had that problem when we were south of the border.

Does the heat aggravate it?

Anyhow..

Dandelion tea. If you can.. try to get the leafs.. cause the root tea is rather dirt like tasting... but it works too.

The other thing would be a Sudafed.. 12 hour non drowsy pill. It can decongest and reduce fluids in the head/sinuses and lessen the head pressure/headaches.

The tea and Sudafed can be used as needed... and not daily if not needed.

Start with 2 cups of tea a day until the problem is fixed.. it should only take a few days. Be sure NOT to dehydrate. OK?

Feel better soon.. little baboon.

------------------
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance...

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesiosis?
Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

Diamox is a diuretic (not a strong one like lasix), thats why you are getting the k-tabs. But maybe the diamox isn't working well?

I like the dandelion tea idea - I think the hot weather is a big edema culprit as mine is bad now too (yuck).

So sorry you have this on top of all the other stuff going on. Please keep me posted and I'll see what i can find out too!

good luck, kiddo
love,
ne

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

The pure elmination diet continues to heal my daughter's edema. It has been two weeks now. She has lost 12 pounds and her arms now have a normal shape, her lower body is improving every day. No more headache, which she ahs ahd since Jan. 2003.

Anyone who has been on long-term antibiotics could have leaky gut with resulting food allergies, and therefore could share with my daughter this "out-of-the-mainstream of Western Medicine" cause for edema.

It's also an easy, inexpensive thing to test. Spend a week avoiding any possible food allergens (eat chicken, veggies, green apples, rice) and see if it helps.

(Melanie and others forgive the repetition)

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks so much for the input everyone! I so appreciate it!!!
Well, if stress increases symptoms, I sure have my cause for this right now- my closing fell through yesterday...JUST ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE

DolphinLady,
I have never been able to stand the taste of coconut...but your light beam machine sounds truly interesting. I'm pleased that you have found results here- thanks for the information.

Lightfoot,
Now, watermelon and pineapple...I do like these! Yes, I have been packing away, and it is difficult to keep one's feet up while doing that! Hope to see you soon.

Moonbeam,
Yes, you remember correctly...actually, you were the first to notice, and that was my first experience with edema. I DO think heat aggravates this, although I asked my nurse friend, and she said there really was no relation?

I will try to find some dandelion tea today, and thanks for the Sudafed idea, I have been very congested, and that may really help.

I know you keep thinking Babs...but I refuse to have it!

NE,
Oh, so that is why an additional diuretic is not allowed with Diamox- thanks for that clarification. I ma suppose to start back on it today, so we shall see. The edema has subsided, but not completely. I still can feel that tingling and swollen thing going on.

Lyddie, I am so pleased that your daughter continues to make such great progress! YIPPEE!

Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone try Hawthorne Berries, dandelion leaf, celery seed, uva ursi?

[This message has been edited by Foggy (edited 07 July 2005).]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyddie:

I bought a book called "The Waterfall Diet" by Lazarides, and a great MD is also helping my daughter w/her extreme edema. Again, more is in the other posts...

Lyddie, which MD at Marino has been so helpful with her Edemea? Bingham, Gordon?

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Geez, it is so ingrained not to post names! Bingham, but others may be good.
Foggy
Member # 1584

Yeah, I had the same initial reaction, but given he's not a LLMD, and is such a non-ducky MD (a rare breed), I think it's OK. He's truly a nice guy who didn't skip bedside manner 101 in Med School.

MC is a great place to concentrate on all the things a LLMD might not cover.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Ya know.. I am NOT pushing it...

After all... I do respect the fact you REFUSE to have Babesiosis...

However..

I am still hearing bits and pieces about Mepron being used by some docs to help Lyme?? If it is actually HELPING Lyme.. or some other infection we don't even know about yet.. I don't know. But it IS interesting.

Anyhow.. sorry to hear about the closing!

How can I help? Other than buy your place?

Let me know!

You are always welcome to come here and stay. I am now "up there" with the Jones. We now have CENTRAL air conditioning. Fancy, eh?

NOT sure I like it yet.. but I know YOU would.

Soooooooooooooo, Mountana... come on down.

Thinking about you... my fat footed friend.

------------------
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance...

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mountain girl moving to the moon and maybe moonbeam buying the house in the mountains
Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Yup, lymesux the whole world's topsy-turvy.

We could all chip in and buy Melanie's house and have a lyme commune. Frightening thought really.

trueblue ~
(who'll do almost anything to get out of florida)

[This message has been edited by trueblue (edited 07 July 2005).]

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Just bringing this back up for myself...

edema has returned and I am hoping there is some solution in here that I forgot about. [Smile]

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought some Dandelion Root tea the last time that I ordered supplements.

Now I read the comment that it tastes like dirt!

Sigh....I haven't made it yet, I just wanted it on hand for an emergency diuretic.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
profore wrap? check with your cardiologist/or circulation doc first though, as by using the profore wrap, you are counteracting some defense mechanism(s) of the body. this might be contraindicated for reasons only he would know.

you can't stay like this for too long, else stasis dermatitis, which can lead to skin breakdown, which in turn leads to infection.

profore wrap is a multi-layered wrap: all 4 layers the width and lenght of an ace bandage, the next to last, layer is the ace bandage.

the actual compressive wrap is the ace bandage, has a rectangular wave pattern on it for reference, for the length of the bandage, and faces the person doing the wrap. when you stretch this you stretch it until the rectangular pattern, becomes a square pattern, and not greater than this. stretch the ace bandage until the rectangles become squares; i.e., the person doing the actual wrap, keeps the the ace bandage taught as they are wrapping this 3rd layer, taught such that the reference wave pattern is square, not rectangular.

first layer = cotton
second " " cotton bandage, not stretch
third " " cotton-? bandage, elastic-stretch, which does the actual compression
fourth layer = not really needed, but has elastic-stretch qualities, and is to keep last layer on leg, i think.

cost for one leg wrap = approx. $32/ box.

substitute:

if you have ace bandages, use them, alone.
Or, use dish towel or any thick towel on legs, and wrap ace bandage around the towel.

consider supps. that help with blood vessel integrity. i think these are proanthrocynidans, hesperidin. verify first before buying.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

I use Uva Ursi drops in my water through out the day, and drink green tea, and have a few pieces of organic chocolate..

For me they are all great dieretics. THe green tea can be found caffiene free as well as the chocolate..celery is also a dieretic and don't forget coffee!

good luck..

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie wrote:
I DO think heat aggravates this, although I asked my nurse friend, and she said there really was no relation?

I was studied for my cyclic edema by a specialist in NY who was funded by the NIH. This was many years ago, before I knew about Lyme. They determined that heat was such a factor for me that I am allowed a tax deduction for air conditioning!!

Fluid gain/loss can be very much tied to blood volume. I have a low blood volume and according to Dr. B's diagnostic hints... it is not uncommon in lyme.

What this means is that while taking diuretics may be helpful for some, it can make orthostatic hypotension much worse for those that have the blood volume/fluid retention problem.

A few things that are helpful for me are avoiding heat, avoiding sugar and starches, avoiding allergens, especially food allergens but all allergens, drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated and thereby keeping the blood volume expanded.

Serraflazyme supplements or other supplements that help with fibrin and hypercoagulation. B6 supplements. Rutin, a bioflavonoid is used in Europe for edema. It is a long term treatment. I tried it for awhile with no results but it does work for some people.

Frankly, I think the best way to get rid of the fluid problem is to get rid of the infection. The only time I was really able to get rid of the fluid problem for any period of time was after a remission due to abx use.

You are lucky that you lose the fluid. For some of us, it causes permenant weight gain. It is fluid and not fat because 2-4 lbs (or more) is gained in one day with no change in eating habits. For me, I have a 2-4 lb gain in one day, then daily fluctuations of about the same until I stabalize. Sometimes I stabalize at the higher weight. The best I hope for is to keep it stable and stop it from staying at a higher weight.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Carol-
I think that TC's tea recipe had dandelion in it...cant remember what else, it wasn't great, but didn't taste like dirt. Perhaps we can resurrect that somehow with a search?

PQ-
thank you for the very thorough explanation of the wrap procedure.

Daniella,
Tea and chocolate sound pretty good to me! (don't tell, but I refuse to give up my morning coffee)

Terry,
That is very interesting about the heat correlation. This time around, it wasn't heat but I think it was altitude! I drove up into the mountains from sea level.
I too gain like 4-6 pounds overnight, and can never figure out why. I'm sure it has to do with fluid retention, even though those gains don't always involve edema.
I'm working on the ``get rid of the infection'' part.

Thanks all!

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on the profore wrap,
depending on teh individual's medical background, profore wraps, are to be removed before retiring for the night.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I did and learned:

Kidney support: Rentone - 2 tablets 3x1day for three months.

Renelix - look it up on the internet.

Bucco - follow insttructions (Nestmann 50 ml)

Look into natural progesterone. Read Dr. Lee's book - it contains a ton of wisdom. "What your doctor never told you ......" before or after menopause, often because hormone balance just is out of whack bedause of toxicity levels. It is a major cause of edema. Progesterone is the missing link to many of our problems that are fired up by Lyme.

Kidney is very affected by heavy metal overload and needs clearance, because we simply have only one kidney! There is no replacing it. Everybody with the die-off of bacteria and other organisms releases heavy metals -- unless you have lived on a different planet until now.

Livit 1 by Ayush

Neural therapy (segmental) over kidney areas will stimulate kidneys into activity. I had it done often. It's part of any checkup with my doctor, done in a couple of minutes and costs nothing extra. It's one of the organs that shows up often as blocked (stressed) with many people when on abx and other killing meds that release heavy metals also.

Any heavy metal tie-up in the kidneys is bad news.
Mop-up substances such as (only clean) Chlorella, pectin, cholestyramine if you can tolerate, chitosan are needed to prevent reabsorption.

8 drops of peppermint oil in glass of water 3x daily.

Asparagus extract (Solaray has one)

Sitawari (ayurvedic) - I have not tried that because the others above worked for me.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbirdsings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbirdsings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In somebodys notes from the Lyme conference in Reston (Scott I think), it had a note that in Dr. J's talk he brought up something abotu edema being seen with Bartonella.

Nothing more was written. Does anybody know more about this? I have horrible edema and nothing has helped calm it down. We thought it was going down at first, but it is back at full force :-(

Posts: 114 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard of a rapid weight gain (water) only in connection with an overload of parasites. My doctor told me about a few patients where this happened -

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

That is interesting Blackbird,

I do have Bart and feel as if symptoms of that have not really resolved.

Thanks for the info Gigi, as always.

blackbirdsings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbirdsings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump!!

Bumping this thread back up.

Wanted to see if anybody knows anything about the bartonella and edema connection.

I do know that it is possible to get lots of edema from parasties and bacteria in the system. Sorta like the body overreacting to them being in the system. I know there is a more medical way to explain this, but I'm not the one to do that...

Posts: 114 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Edema and related disorders...

I wanted to pass on some information to you all that has been so generously compiled for me by others these last few days...thank you so much for each of your contributions!

I know that edema is a common lyme symptom...many of us experience it for various reasons. What I did not know about edema has surprised me.

So, here is what I have discovered...and I am hoping that many of you will also add your experiences to this thread so we may all learn more.

Edema:
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/003104/0.html

Definition
Peripheral edema is an abnormal buildup of fluids in ankle and leg tissues. See also swelling, overall.
Alternative names
Swelling of the ankles - feet - legs; Ankle swelling; Foot swelling; Leg swelling; Edema - peripheral
Considerations
Painless swelling of the feet and ankles is a common problem, particularly in older people. It may affect both legs and may include the calves or even the thighs. Because of the effect of gravity, swelling is particularly noticeable in the lower legs.
When the swollen area is squeezed, the fluid will move out of the affected area and may leave a deep impression for a few moments.
Swelling of the legs is many times related to *systemic causes (for example, heart failure, renal failure, or liver failure).
*systemic...
Systemic means "affecting the entire body," rather than a single organ or body part. For example, systemic disorders such as high blood pressure or systemic diseases such as influenza affect the entire body. An infection that is in the blood stream is referred to as a systemic infection. In contrast, an infection pertaining to one body part or organ is referred to as a localized infection.
Common causes
* Long airplane flights or automobile rides
* Menstrual periods (for some women)
* Sunburn
* Generalized allergy
* Prolonged standing
* Injury or trauma to the ankle or foot
* Venous insufficiency (varicose veins)
* Pregnancy (mild to severe swelling)
* Environmental
o Burns
o Insect bite or sting
o Starvation or malnutrition
* Medical treatments
o Body fluid overload
o Infiltration of an IV site
o Extremity surgery
* Medications
o Estrogens and progestin oral contraceptives
o Blood pressure-lowering drugs
o Certain antidepressants (such as Nardil)
o Estrogen - oral
o Long-term corticosteroid therapy
o Nifedipine
o Testosterone
* Diagnostic tests
o Venogram
* Congestive heart failure
* Glomerulonephritis or other kinds of kidney disorders
Home care
Elevate the legs above the heart while lying down. Avoid sitting or standing without moving for prolonged periods of time. Avoid putting anything directly under the knees when lying down, and don't wear constricting clothing or garters on the upper legs.
Exercising the legs causes the fluid to work back into the veins and lymphatic channels so that the swelling goes down. Elastic bandages or support stockings can provide pressure to help reduce ankle swelling.
A low-salt diet may help reduce fluid retention and decrease the ankle swelling.
Call your health care provider if
Call your health care provider if ankle swelling persists or worsens after the above measures have been taken.
What to expect at your health care provider's office
The medical history will be obtained and a physical examination performed.
Medical history questions documenting ankle, feet, and leg swelling in detail include the following:
o Is there ankle swelling?
o Is the whole foot swollen?
o Is there swelling over the small bones of the feet?
o Is there swelling of the toes?
o Is the knee swollen?
o Is the whole leg swollen?
* Time pattern
o Is the swelling always present?
o Is it worse in the morning or the evening?
* Aggravating and relieving factors
o What makes it better?
o Does the swelling go down when the legs are elevated?
o What makes it worse?
* What other symptoms are also present?
The physical examination may include emphasis on the heart, lungs, kidneys, and legs.
Diagnostic tests that may be performed include the following:
* Blood tests such as a CBC or blood chemistry (Chem-20)
* ECG
* Chest X-ray or extremity X-ray
The specific treatment will be directed at whatever underlying cause is found. Diuretics may be prescribed. These are effective in reducing the swelling but have some side effects. Home treatment for benign causes of leg swelling should be tried before drug therapy under medical supervision.

Thrombophlebitis
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/001108/0.html

Definition
Phlebitis is an inflammation of a vein; thrombophlebitis is vein inflammation related to a blood clot.
Alternative names
Phlebitis
Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Common causes of vein inflammation include local irritation (for example, because of an IV line), infection in or near a vein and blood clots.

See the specific disorders associated with thrombophlebitis:
* superficial thrombophlebitis (affects veins near the skin surface)
* deep venous thrombosis (affects deeper, larger veins)
* pelvic vein thrombophlebitis
Prevention
Routine changing of intravenous (IV) lines helps to prevent phlebitis related to IV lines. See the specific disorders associated with thrombophlebitis for other preventive measures.
Symptoms
The following symptoms are often associated with thrombophlebitis:
* tenderness over the vein
* pain in the part of the body affected
* skin redness or inflammation (not always present)
Signs and tests
The health care provider makes the diagnosis primarily based on the appearance of the affected area. Frequent checks of the pulse, blood pressure, temperature, skin condition, and circulation may be required.

If the cause is not readily identifiable, tests may be performed to determine the cause, including the following:
* Doppler ultrasound
* Extremity arteriography
* Blood coagulation studies

Lymph system
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/002247/0.html

Definition
The lymph system is a network of organs, lymph nodes, lymph ducts, and lymph vessels that produce and transport lymph from tissues to the bloodstream. The lymph system is a major component of the body's immune system.
Information
Lymph is a clear-to-white fluid made of:
* chyle (fluid from the intestines after digestion that contains proteins and fats)
* some red blood cells
* many white blood cells, especially lymphocytes (lymphocytes are the cells that attack bacteria in the blood
Lymph nodes are small, bean-shaped, soft nodules. They are not usually visible or easily felt. They are located in clusters in various parts of the body, such as the neck, armpit, and groin.
Lymph nodes produce immune cells (such as lymphocytes, monocytes, and plasma cells). They also filter the lymph fluid and remove foreign material, such as bacteria and cancer cells. When bacteria are recognized in the lymph fluid, the lymph nodes enlarge as they produce additional white blood cells to help fight infection.

The organs within the lymphatic system are the tonsils, adenoids, spleen, and thymus.

See also:
* tonsillectomy
* adenoidectomy
* splenectomy
* lymphoid hyperplasia
* lymphangioma
* *lymphedema
*Lymphatic obstruction involves blockage of the lymph vessels, which drain fluid from tissues throughout the body and allow immune cells to travel where they are needed.
Alternative names
Lymphedema
There are many causes of lymphatic obstruction, which is also known as lymphedema (swelling of the lymph passages). These include certain infections ( for example, chronic cellulitis or parasitic infections such as filariasis), trauma, tumors, certain surgeries, and radiation therapy. In addition, there are rare forms of congenital (present from birth) lymphedema which probably result from abnormalities in the development of the lymphatic vessels.
In Western societies, one of the most common causes of lymphedema is mastectomy with axillary dissection (removal of the breast and underarm lymph tissue for breast cancer). This can cause lymphedema of the arm in 10-15% of patients. This occurs because the lymphatic drainage of the arm passes through the axilla (armpit), and tissue in the axilla has been removed during mastectomy.
Recurrent cellulitis, or infection of the skin, can damage lymphatic vessels and lead to lymphedema of the affected area. This is more commonly seen in obese patients.
Symptoms
Chronic swelling, usually of the arm or leg, is the clinical hallmark of lymphatic obstruction.
Signs and tests
Physical exam and history are most important for diagnosis. In some cases, lymphangiography may be performed. This involves injection of dye into lymphatic vessels followed by X-rays of the area. Lymphangiography requires surgical isolation of the lymph vessels to be injected and is therefore a difficult procedure.
Lymphoscintigraphy is an alternative technique in which a radioactive substance that concentrates in the lymphatic vessels is injected into the affected tissue and mapped using a gamma camera, which images the location of the radioactive tracer. Lymphoscintigraphy is less invasive and more easily performed and is often used as a substitute for lymphangiography.
MRI is being explored as a means to image lymphatic vessels.

Glands - swollen
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/003097/0.html

Definition
The term "swollen glands" refers to enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. In a child, a node is enlarged if it is larger than one centimeter (0.4 inch) in diameter. See also lymphadenitis and lymphangitis.
Alternative names
Swollen glands; Swollen lymph nodes; Swollen lymph glands
Considerations
The lymphatic system is a complex network of thin vessels, valves, ducts, nodes, and organs. It helps to protect and maintain the fluid environment of the body by producing, filtering, and conveying lymph and by producing various blood cells.

The lymph system is present throughout the body. Common areas where the lymph nodes can be felt (palpable nodes) include:
* the groin area (inguinal region)
* armpit (axilla)
* the neck (there is a chain of lymph nodes on either side of the front of the neck, both sides of the neck, and down each side of the back of the neck)
* under the jaw and chin
* behind the ears
* over the prominence on the back of the head (occiput)
Lymph nodes play an important part in the body's defense against infection. Swelling might occur even if the infection is trivial or not apparent. Swelling of lymph nodes generally results from localized or systemic infection, abscess formation, or malignancy. Other causes of enlarged lymph nodes are extremely rare. By far, the most common cause of lymph node enlargement is infection.

As a rule, when swelling appears suddenly and is painful, it is usually caused by injury or an infection. Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may result from malignancy or tumor.
Common causes
* infectious
o infectious mononucleosis (behind the ears or neck)
o rubella also known as German measles (behind the ears)
o tuberculosis (above the collar bone)
o mumps (salivary glands)
o ear infections or sore throat (neck glands, sometimes)
o infection in the scalp (behind the ears or in back of the head)
o impacted tooth (swollen gums)
o HIV disease or AIDS
* immune or autoimmune
o juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
o serum sickness
o HIV disease
* malignant
o leukemia
o Hodgkin's disease
o non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
* other
o canker sores
o drugs (such as phenytoin)
o typhoid vaccination
o salivary duct stones
Home care
Soreness in lymph glands usually disappears in a couple of days without treatment. If the glands are painful, it is because of the rapid swelling of the gland in the early stages of fighting the infection. It takes much longer for the gland to return to normal size than to swell, so be patient.

Follow prescribed therapy, if appropriate, to treat the underlying cause.
* After several weeks of observation the glands don't get smaller.
* Swollen glands are red and tender.
* Swollen glands are hard, irregular, or feel fixed in place.
* Swollen glands are located just above the collar bone.
* Swollen glands are located behind the ear.
* One or more glands get larger over a period of 2 to 3 weeks.
* There are symptoms of fever, night sweats, or weight loss with swollen glands.
* Nodes larger than 1cm in diameter in children should be followed by a physician. It should shrink noticeably within 4-6 weeks, and should be less than one centimeter within 8-12 weeks.
Your medical history will be obtained and a physical examination performed. Medical history questions may include:
o Is the swelling the same on both sides?
* time pattern
o When did the swelling begin?
o How long has it lasted (how many months or weeks)?
o Did it begin suddenly?
o Did it develop gradually?
o Is the swollen node increasing in size?
o Is the number of nodes that are swollen increasing?
* associated complaints
o Is the node painful?
o Is the skin over or around the node red?
o Is the node tender when you gently press on it?
* other
o What other symptoms are occurring at the same time?
The physical examination may include pressing on many of the lymph nodes to look for size, texture, warmth, tenderness, and other features.

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include:
* liver function tests and kidney function tests
* CBC with differential
* lymph node biopsy
* chest Xray
* liver-spleen scan
After seeing your health care provider:

If a diagnosis was made by your health care provider related to swollen lymph nodes, you may want to note that diagnosis in your personal medical record.

Serum sickness
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/000820/0.html

Definition
Serum sickness is a group of symptoms caused by a delayed immune response to certain medications or antiserum (passive immunization with antibodies from an animal or another person).
Serum is the clear fluid portion of blood. It does not contain blood cells, but it does contain many proteins, including antibodies, which are formed as part of the immune response to protect against infection.

Antiserum is a preparation of serum that has been removed from a person or animal that has already developed immunity to a particular microorganism. It contains antibodies against that microorganism.
An injection of antiserum (passive immunization) may be used when a person has been exposed to a potentially dangerous microorganism against which the person has not been immunized. It provides immediate, but temporary protection while the person develops a personal immune response against the toxin or microorganism. Examples include antiserum for tetanus and rabies exposure.

Serum sickness is a hypersensitivity reaction similar to allergy. The immune system misidentifies a protein in antiserum as a potentially harmful substance (antigen), and it develops an immune response against the antiserum.
Antibodies bind with the antiserum protein to create larger particles (immune complexes). The immune complexes are deposited in various tissues, causing inflammation and various other symptoms.
Because it takes time for the body to produce antibodies to a new antigen, symptoms do not develop until 7 to 21 days after initial exposure to the antiserum. Patients may develop symptoms in 1 to 3 days if they have previously been exposed to the offending agent.

Exposure to certain medications (particularly penicillin) can cause a similar process. Unlike other drug allergies, which occur very soon after receiving the medication for the second (or subsequent) time, serum sickness can develop 7 to 21 days after the first exposure to a medication. The drug molecules probably combine with a protein in the blood before being misidentified as an antigen.
Blood products may also induce serum sickness.

Serum sickness is different from anaphylactic shock, which is an immediate reaction with more severe symptoms.
Prevention
There is no known way to prevent the development of serum sickness.

People who have experienced serum sickness, anaphylactic shock, or drug allergy should avoid future use of the antiserum or drug.
Symptoms
* Skin rash
* Itching (pruritus)
* Hives
* Joint pain
* Fever
* Malaise
* Enlarged lymph nodes
Note: The symptoms develop 1 to 3 weeks after exposure to antiserum or medication.
Signs and tests
The lymph nodes may be enlarged and tender to palpation. The urine may contain blood or protein. Blood tests may indicate a vasculitis, or inflammation of the blood vessels.

Immune response
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/000821/0.html

Definition
The immune response is the way the body recognizes and defends itself against microorganisms, viruses, and substances recognized as foreign and potentially harmful to the body.
Alternative names
Innate immunity; Humoral immunity; Cellular immunity; Immunity; Inflammatory response; Acquired (adaptive) immunity
Information
THE IMMUNE SYSTEM

The immune system protects the body from potentially harmful substances by recognizing and responding to so-called antigens. Antigens are large molecules (usually proteins) on the surface of cells, viruses, fungi, or bacteria. Some non-living substances such as *toxins, chemicals, drugs, and foreign particles (such as a splinter) can be antigens. Substances that contain these antigens are recognized and destroyed by the immune system . Even your own body cells have proteins that are antigens (these include a group of antigens called HLA antigens). Your immune system learns to see these antigens as "normal" and does not usually react against them.

*toxins...
Substances that are created by plants and animals and are poisonous to humans. Most toxins that are problematic for humans are formed and excreted by microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses. Related topics: toxic dilation of the colontoxic epidermal necrolysistoxic hepatitistoxic injury of the kidneytoxic megacolontoxic nodular goitertoxic shock syndrome

INNATE IMMUNITY AND INFLAMMATION

One's innate immunity are the barriers that keep harmful materials from entering your body and form the first line of defense in the immune response. Some of these barriers are: the skin, stomach acid, mucous (traps microorganisms and small particles), the cough reflex, and enzymes in tears and skin oils. If an antigen gets past the external barriers, it is attacked and destroyed by other parts of the immune system. Innate immunity also includes those things that make humans resistant to many of the diseases of animals.

The immune system includes certain types of white blood cells. It also includes chemicals and proteins in the blood (such as complement proteins and interferon). Some of these directly attack foreign substances in the body, and others work together to help the immune system cells.

The inflammatory response (inflammation) is part of innate immunity. It occurs when tissues are injured by bacteria, trauma, toxins, heat, or any other cause. Chemicals including histamine, bradykinin, serotonin, and others are released by damaged tissue. These chemicals cause blood vessels to leak fluid into the tissues, resulting in localized swelling. This helps isolate the foreign substance from further contact with body tissues.

The chemicals also attract white blood cells that "eat" microorganisms and dead or damaged cells. The process where these white blood cells surround, engulf, and destroy foreign substances is called phagocytosis, and the cells are collectively referred to as phagocytes. Phagocytes eventually die. Pus is formed from a collection of dead tissue, dead bacteria, and live and dead phagocytes.

ACQUIRED IMMUNITY

In comparison to innate immunity, acquired (adaptive) immunity develops when the body is exposed to various antigens and builds a defense that is specific to that antigen.
Lymphocytes, a special type of white blood cell, contain subgroups, B and T lymphocytes, that are key players in acquired immune responses. B lymphocytes (also called B cells) produce antibodies. Antibodies attach to a specific antigen and make it easier for the phagocytes to destroy the antigen. T lymphocytes (T cells) attack antigens directly, and provide control of the immune response. B cells and T cells develop that are specific for ONE antigen type. When you are exposed to a different antigen, different B cells and T cells are formed.

As lymphocytes develop, they normally learn to recognize the body's own tissues (self) as distinctive from tissues and particles not normally found in your body (non-self). Once B cells and T cells are formed, a few of those cells will multiply and provide "memory" for the immune system. This allows the immune system to respond faster and more efficiently the next time you are exposed to the same antigen, and in many cases will prevent you from getting sick. For example, adaptive immunity accounts for an individual who has had chickenpox for being so-called 'immune' to getting chickenpox again.

PASSIVE IMMUNITY

Passive immunity involves antibodies that are produced in someone's body other than your own. Infants have passive immunity because they are born with antibodies that are transferred through the placenta from the mother. These antibodies disappear between 6 and 12 months of age. Gamma globulin is another form of getting passive immunity that is given by a doctor. Its protection is also temporary.

IMMUNE SYSTEM DISORDERS AND ALLERGIES

Immune system disorders occur when the immune response is inappropriate, excessive, or lacking. Allergies involve an immune response to a substance that, in the majority of people, the body perceives as harmless. Transplant rejection involves the destruction of transplanted tissues or organs and is a major complication of organ transplantation. Blood transfusion reaction is a complication of blood administration. Autoimmune disorders (such as systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis) occur when the immune system acts to destroy normal body tissues. Immunodeficiency disorders (such as inherited immunodeficiency and AIDS) occur when there is a failure in all or part of the immune system.

SIGNS OF INFLAMMATION:
* localized redness
* pain in the area
* swelling of the affected area
* warmth of the affected area
* pus (sometimes)
Note: In many cases, no observable symptoms develop.

Additional symptoms may include:
* fever
* general discomfort, uneasiness, or ill feeling (malaise)
* muscle aches
* agitation or confusion
TESTS:

During an infection, a CBC usually shows increased numbers of white blood cells. A blood differential count may reveal an elevated percentage of phagocytes, indicating that the body is responding to a need to fight infection.

If a problem is suspected, other tests may be performed to determine complement levels and the levels of specific immunoglobulins (antibodies).

THERAPIES:

Usually, the immune response is desired. In some cases, suppression of the immune system is necessary (for example, in the treatment of autoimmune disorders or allergies). This is usually accomplished by administering corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive medications.

Suppression of the immune system may be an undesired side effect of certain treatments or disorders.

Vaccination (immunization) is way to trigger the immune response. Small doses of an antigen (such as dead or weakened live viruses) are given to activate immune system "memory" (activated B lymphocytes and sensitized T lymphocytes). Memory allows your body to react quickly and efficiently to future exposures. As noted above, this means that if you are exposed to a microorganism, it will be destroyed before it can cause illness.

Passive immunization involves transfusion of antiserum, which contains antibodies that are formed by another person (or animal). It provides immediate protection against an antigen, but does not provide long-lasting protection. Gamma globulin and equine (horse) tetanus antitoxin are examples of passive immunization.

COMPLICATIONS:

An efficient immune response protects against many diseases and disorders. Inefficient immune response allows diseases to develop. Inadequate, inappropriate, or excessive immune response causes immune system disorders.

Complications related to altered immune response include:
* disease development
* allergy/hypersensitivity
* anaphylaxis
* autoimmune disorders
* blood transfusion reaction
* immunodeficiency disorders
* serum sickness
* transplant rejection
* graft versus host disease

Cough
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/003072/0.html
Definition
A cough is a sudden, often involuntary, forceful release of air from the lungs.
Considerations
The cough reflex is one of the body's best defense mechanisms. Irritation or obstruction in the airways activates this reflex, and the strong rush of air helps clear material from the breathing passages.

A cough is more helpful if it is producing and expelling something, such as yellowish pus. This kind of cough is termed "productive" and usually should NOT be suppressed by drugs.

Minor irritations in the throat can start the cough reflex, even though normal mucus/spittle are the only material to be expelled. (This is called a "dry" cough.)

Mucus from the nasal passages can drain into the throat and lungs (post-nasal drip) and trigger the cough reflex. Such coughs are also not helpful and may be treated with cough suppressants.

In infants, coughing is unusual and may indicate a serious lung problem.

In diagnosing the cause of a cough, it is important to notice details about the cough, such as the type of cough, does it bring up mucus or pus, and so on.

A cough that is caused by bronchitis or similar infection commonly lasts for up to 2 weeks. However, a cough that persists longer than this should be evaluated by the health care provider.

A cough may occasionally indicate a serious condition:
* When blood is coughed up
* When it is accompanied by chest pain
* When there is difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
* If there is also unintentional weight loss
Common causes
* Smoking (smoke destroys the cells in the lining of the breathing tubes so that mucus cannot be expelled normally, leading to a chronic cough)
o Includes exposure to second-hand smoke
* Common cold, influenza, and other viral infections (with yellow or white mucus) are the most common causes
* Drugs (such as ACE inhibitors or expectorants) cause persistent, dry, non-productive coughs
* Stress (if the cough disappears during sleep, then stress may be the cause)
* Allergies
* Aspiration (see foreign object aspiration or ingestion)
* Atelectasis
* Bacterial infection (bronchiectasis, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis or tracheitis)
o Often with rusty or green mucus
* Viral infection (bronchiolitis, croup, pneumonia, upper respiratory infection)
* Congestive heart failure
* Environmental pollution
* Gastroesophageal reflux
* Postnasal drip
* Asthma
* Diagnostic tests (such as bronchoscopy or pulmonary function tests)
* Medical treatments (such as intermittent positive pressure breathing, or incentive spirometry)
* Lung cancer
* Emphysema
Home care
Increasing humidity in the air may help. A vaporizer and a steamy shower are two ways to increase the humidity.
Drink extra fluids to help thin secretions and make them easier to cough up.
Glyceryl guaiacolate (guaifenesin, such as in Robitussin) is available without prescription and may help liquefy the mucus. Drink lots of fluids if taking this medication.
When a cold and a stuffy, runny nose accompany the cough, it is often caused by mucus dripping down the back of the throat. A decongestant that opens the nasal passages will relieve this postnasal drip, and is the best treatment for that type of cough.
Decongestants such as phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine or combinations of these two decongestants are available as over-the-counter cold medications. Don't give decongestants to a child under six years of age unless prescribed by the doctor. It is important to talk to your healthcare provider before using any cough medications for children under two.
If you have high blood pressure (hypertension), consult your doctor before taking decongestants.
Coughs due to chronic postnasal drip are probably caused by either sinus infection or allergy. If allergy is the cause, this is typically treated by avoiding the trigger (allergen) that is causing the allergy. In addition, anti-histamines and a steroid nasal spray are sometimes used to suppress the allergic inflammation.
Dry, tickling coughs can be relieved by sucking on cough lozenges or hard candy. (However, never give a lozenge or hard candy to a child under 3 years old because it is a choking hazard.)
Codeine is a very effective cough suppressant, but has some negative side effects, can lead to physical dependence and addiction and requires a prescription. Dextromethorphan (such as in Vick's Formula 44 of Robitussin DM) is an effective cough suppressant that is available without prescription.
* A violent cough begins suddenly, or there is a high-pitched sound (stridor) when inhaling. (The person might have inhaled a small object.)
* The cough produces blood in any form. This should be treated as an emergency.
* There is a cough in an infant less than 3 months old.
* There is shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
* Coughing is accompanied by other symptoms such as fever or abdominal swelling.
* A cough is accompanied by unintentional weight loss.
* The cough is producing thick, foul-smelling, rusty or greenish mucus.
* Frequent coughing lasts for more than 10 days.
In emergency cases, the patient will be treated first to stabilize the condition. After the condition is stable, the medical history will be obtained and a respiratory assessment performed.

Medical history questions documenting your cough in detail may include:
* Type
o Are you coughing up blood?
 Is visible blood coughed up?
 Is there blood-streaked sputum?
 Are you coughing up large amounts of blood?
 Are there repeated episodes of coughing up blood?
o Do you bring up any mucus/sputum when you cough?
 Does the sputum contain pus?
 Does the sputum contain pus and have a foul odor?
 Does the sputum look like clear, sticky mucus?
 Is the sputum white and frothy?
 Is pink, frothy material coughed up?
 Is the sputum adhesive, thick, hard to cough up?
 Are you coughing up brownish plugs?
 How much sputum is produced (about how many cups per day)?
* Quality
o Is the cough severe?
o Is the cough dry?
o Does the cough sound like a seal barking?
* Time pattern
o Is the cough worse at night?
o Did it begin suddenly?
o Has it been increasing recently?
o How long has the cough lasted (for how many weeks?)
o Has the cough been chronic and has it changed pattern recently?
o Do spells of coughing occur repeatedly (recurrent)?
o Are coughing spells composed of a sequence of separate episodes?
o Does the cough change?
 Is it variable over hours?
* Aggravating factors
o Is the cough worse when you are lying on one side?
o Is it worse when first arising from sleep?
* Associated complaints
o Are there sudden periodic attacks of coughing with gagging and vomiting?
* Other
o What other symptoms are also present?
The physical examination will include emphasis on the ears, nose, throat and chest. Do not expect antibiotics to be prescribed for a routine viral or allergic cough because they will not help.

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include:
* Bronchoscopy
* Lung scan
* Pulmonary function tests
* Sputum analysis (if the cough produces sputum)
* X-ray of the chest

Swelling
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/003103/0.html
Definition
Swelling involves the enlargement of organs, skin, or other body structures caused by excessive buildup of fluid in the tissues. This buildup can lead to a rapid increase in weight over a short period of time (days to weeks).Swelling can occur throughout the body (generalized) or it may be limited to a specific part of the body (localized).See also: Ankle, feet, and leg swellingAngioedemaSwollen gumsSwollen glandsFacial swellingSwelling in the abdomenBreast enlargementScrotal swellingJoint swelling
Alternative names
Edema; Anasarca
Considerations
Slight edema of the lower legs commonly occurs in warm summer months, especially if a person has been standing or walking a lot.
Generalized swelling, or massive edema (also called anasarca), is a common sign in severely ill people. Although slight edema may be difficult to detect, especially in an overweight person, massive edema is very obvious. Edema can indicate a chronic and progressive medical illness.
Edema may be generally described in one of two ways:
* Pitting edema -- When you press a finger against a swollen area for 5 seconds and then quickly remove it, an indentation is left that fills slowly.
* Nonpitting edema -- When you press a finger against a swollen area for 5 seconds and then quickly remove it, no indentation is left in the skin.
Common causes
* Too much salt or sodium intake
* Burns
* Sunburn
* Too little albumin in the blood (hypoalbuminemia)
* Malnutrition
* Pregnancy
* Drugs
o Androgenic and anabolic steroids
o Antihypertensives
o Corticosteroids such as prednisone (causes sodium retention)
o Estrogens
o Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (see NSAIDs)
o Calcium channel blockers
* Nephrotic syndrome
* Acute glomerulonephritis
* Chronic kidney disease
* Heart failure
* Liver failure from cirrhosis
* Thyroid disease
Home care
Follow prescribed therapy to treat the underlying cause of the swelling. Discuss with your health care provider the options to prevent skin breakdown (for chronic edema) such as a pressure-reducing mattress, a lamb's wool pad, or a flotation ring.
Maintain everyday activities. When lying down, keep limbs above the heart level, if possible, to facilitate drainage. Do not do this if shortness of breath results -- see your doctor instead.
Reduced sodium (salt) in the diet may be recommended.
If you notice any unexplained swelling, contact your health care provider.
Except in emergency situations (such as cardiac failure or pulmonary congestion), your health care provider will obtain your medical history and will perform a physical examination.
Medical history questions documenting swelling in detail may include the following:
* Time pattern
o When did you first notice this?
o Is it present all the time?
o Does it come and go?
* Quality
o How much swelling is there?
o When you poke the area with a finger, does the dent remain?
o Is it overall or in a specific area (localized)?
o If swelling is in a specific area, what is that area?
* Other
o What seems to make the swelling better?
o What seems to make the swelling worse?
o What other symptoms are also present?
Diagnostic tests that may be performed include the following:
* Albumin levels
* ECG
* Echocardiography
* Serum electrolyte tests
* Urinalysis
* X-rays
* Liver function tests
* Kidney function tests
Treatment may include fluid and sodium restriction, diuretics, or water pills. Your fluid intake and output should be monitored, and you should be weighed daily.
Avoid alcohol if liver disease (such as cirrhosis or hepatitis) is causing the problem. Vascular support hose may be advised.

Autoimmune disorders
http://health.yahoo.com/health/encyclopedia/000816/0.html
Definition
Disorders caused by an immune response against the body's own tissues.
The immune system protects the body from potentially harmful substances (antigens) such as microorganisms, toxins, cancer cells, and foreign blood or tissues from another person or species. Antigens are destroyed by the immune response, which includes production of antibodies (molecules that attach to the antigen and make it more susceptible to destruction) and sensitized lymphocytes (specialized white blood cells that recognize and destroy particular antigens).

Immune system disorders occur when the immune response is inappropriate, excessive, or lacking. Autoimmune disorders develop when the immune system destroys normal body tissues. This is caused by a hypersensitivity reaction similar to allergies, where the immune system reacts to a substance that it normally would ignore. In allergies, the immune system reacts to an external substance that would normally be harmless. With autoimmune disorders, the immune system reacts to normal "self" body tissues.

Normally, the immune system is capable of differentiating "self" from "non-self" tissue. Some immune system cells (lymphocytes) become sensitized against "self" tissue cells, but these cells are usually controlled (suppressed) by other lymphocytes. Autoimmune disorders occur when the normal control process is disrupted. They may also occur if normal body tissue is altered so that it is no longer recognized as "self." The mechanisms that cause disrupted control or tissue changes are not known. One theory holds that various microorganisms and drugs may trigger some of these changes, particularly in people with a genetic predisposition to an autoimmune disorder.

Autoimmune disorders result in destruction of one or more types of body tissues, abnormal growth of an organ, or changes in organ function. The disorder may affect only one organ or tissue type or may affect multiple organs and tissues. Organs and tissues commonly affected by autoimmune disorders include blood components such as red blood cells, blood vessels, connective tissues, endocrine glands such as the thyroid or pancreas, muscles, joints, and skin.

A person may experience more than one autoimmune disorder at the same time. Examples of autoimmune (or autoimmune-related) disorders include:
* Hashimoto's thyroiditis
* pernicious anemia
* Addison's disease
* diabetes
* rheumatoid arthritis
* systemic lupus erythematosus
* dermatomyositis
* Sjogren's syndrome
* dermatomyositis
* lupus erythematosus
* multiple sclerosis
* myasthenia gravis
* Reiter's syndrome
* Graves disease
Prevention
Prevention may not be possible at this time for most autoimmune disorders.
Symptoms
Symptoms of autoimmune disease vary widely depending on the type of disease. A group of very non-specific symptoms often accompany autoimmune diseases especially of the collagen vascular type and include:
* tire easily
* fatigue
* dizziness
* malaise (nonspecific feeling of not being well)
* fever, very low grade temperature elevations
Specific autoimmune disease results in:
* destruction of an organ or tissue resulting in decreased functioning of an organ or tissue (for example, the islet cells of the pancreas are destroyed in diabetes)
* increase in size of an organ or tissue (for example, thyroid enlargement in Graves disease)
Note: Symptoms vary with the specific disorder and the organ or tissue affected.
Signs and tests
Signs vary according to the specific disorder. This disease may also alter the results of the following tests:
* platelet aggregation test
* eosinophil count - absolute

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Up for Blackbirdsings [Smile]
blackbirdsings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7972

Thanks Melanie! Mine seems different than everybody elses :-( I will ask the doctor about thyroid involvement at my appointment.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement