LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gallbladder woes......anybody else have this done??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gallbladder woes......anybody else have this done??
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang it all! I was hoping to get this GB out by next week. Well, I'm still holding out hope for that, but there's a little hitch.

I went to the surgeon today and he said the Hida Scan showed that there may be a stone blocking the bile duct.

I have to have a special kind of MRI tomorrow morning to see exactly what is there.

Then if there's a stone there, I will have to have a GI surgeon go in through the esophagus and down to the bile duct to remove the stone(s).

Then I have to wait 3-5 days for things to settle down and have the other surgeon do the regular gallbladder removal.

Thankfully, he gave me something different to help with the pain. He himself had GB surgery in January and he knows the whole story now!

Experience is the best teacher, right!!?

So, has anyone else had this done?

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is make sure you get those out too.

My husbands cousin had her gallbladder out and sure enough a stone was not removed from the bile duct.It caused her to remain in the hopital for over a month.She turned yellow on us!

Sounds like you are in good hands there kiddo!

Glad he is helping you with that pain,it can be a really bad one.Hope you feel better real soon.

You will feel so much better having that thing out!!!

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer, Lymetoo. You are in my prayers. Hiker
Posts: 8902 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Too,
I've been thinking about you all day. I'm glad they gave you something better for pain and wish you didn't have to go through more stuff. I hope the MRI shows there is no stone and you can just get it over with. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

My mom had her gallbladder out a few years ago and they did an ERCsomething(or maybe it's ESPN ). They used it to check that the bile duct was clear.

They didn't find a stone, in her case, but she says that she was put out for the procedure and maybe she had a scratchy throat, after. I'm not sure that helps, exactly.

Here's hoping tomorrow's answers will be better.

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trueblue:

[i]My mom had her gallbladder out a few years ago and they did an ERCsomething(or maybe it's ESPN ). They used it to check that the bile duct was clear.

In my case, we already know that something is blocking the duct. We're doing the MRI to see exactly what, then the ERCP to go in and get it(them).

Joy....

Thanks 3Great and Hiker...my buddies! Oh and good ole trueblue, my pal!

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digirl02
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digirl02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had this problem but just wanted to say i'm sorry you are and hope you start feeling and getting better soon !!
Posts: 121 | From Gaithersburg, MD USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymetutu,

Been thinking about you a lot...sorry to hear about your dilema. Let's hope there isn't a stuck stone and you can have the gb out soon.

Your in my prayers!

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korinne21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey lymetoo,

As you know already, i can relate to you...i went to the doctor today about my gallbladder pain..

He said its deff. the GB and i may have to change my meds...which i dont want to because the rocefin is working good. i was pleading with him to take the GB out because i dont need it anyway LOL..

im crazy right? he said it is possibly GB disease since i started with pain within only 16 days of treatment..i dont want surgery but if its going to help me stay on rocefin sign me up! hehe

well just wanted to let ya know what going on with my GB...sorry to hear about your GB problems, its a real pain in the side huh? im glad i have percosets easily available to me. everything i eat i have pain.

Im going for my ultrasound tomorrow morning, so i'll post back lettin ya know whats up wit me...and keep letting me know whats going on with you okay?

Feel better soon! huggs
Korinne

Posts: 102 | From henryville. PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
In my case, we already know that something is blocking the duct. We're doing the MRI to see exactly what, then the ERCP to go in and get it(them).

Joy....

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought, they thought there may be something blocking. (Clearly, thinking is what gets me into trouble.)

I'm envisioning you going, tomorrow, and they find whatever they thought they saw is gone and or moved someplace, like out of your body for instance.

Good luck for the least complicated result that's possible.

[This message has been edited by trueblue (edited 05 July 2005).]

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1tick3victims
Member # 7445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1tick3victims     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi lime2,

it's paisley here. had to change because lost my password.

sorry to here about the GB complications. what a pain in the rear. so many layers to this disease. if it is not one thing, it's another with us. i will be sending you prayers and hoping you get some resolution to this problem.

what are the symptoms of GB problems now that I am on rocephin? i have started to have heat burn, but I don't know if this is associated with constipation due to some pain meds I have been taking recently.

------------------
best regards and blessings,
paisley

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sweetie, I've experienced it and I'm really sorry you have to wait it out.

The doctors thought I had a cyst or growth on my bile duct. I was poked, prodded, x-rayed, MRId, CT scanned and I don't remember what else. They told me they thought I might have a stone in my bile duct. Ruled that out then told me I might have cancer of the bile duct and it scared the crap out of me. BUT in the end they decided it was probably a congenital malformation of the common bile duct.

A few months later they performed surgery to remove my rotten gallbladder and guess what? The 'congenital malformation' had miraculously disappeared. I've had so many things come and go, disappear and resolve that I just have to suspect lyme in some way. How? I really don't know but there's no other explanation for all of these crazy things that have come and gone without reason.

Hang in there kiddo!

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting info, BB! We'll see what happens.

Korinne...ask your dr for Levsin. It's supposed to relax the bile duct ... keep the spasms down. I just started on it, thought it helped some today.

Paisley...watch out for the heartburn. It's been one of my first indications that my GB is not happy.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dang it all! I was hoping to get this GB out by next week. Well, I'm still holding out hope for that, but there's a little hitch.

I went to the surgeon today and he said the Hida Scan showed that there may be a stone blocking the bile duct.

I have to have a special kind of MRI tomorrow morning to see exactly what is there.

Then if there's a stone there, I will have to have a GI surgeon go in through the esophagus and down to the bile duct to remove the stone(s).

Then I have to wait 3-5 days for things to settle down and have the other surgeon do the regular gallbladder removal.

Thankfully, he gave me something different to help with the pain. He himself had GB surgery in January and he knows the whole story now!

Experience is the best teacher, right!!?

So, has anyone else had this done?

Hi Lymetoo,

I also had my pancreatic duct blocked. I ended up with pancreatitis, and leisons on my liver!

I was ambulanced out of my ex pcp office.
I kept calling her, and telling her how bad I was feeling. She kept saying it's the flu!

After a week, I called the office again, and I drove myself in. She took one look at me, and had me ambulanced out!

I was in the hospital for three weeks and two days! Hooked up to i.v. feedings, had to have blood, and sugar levels were all over the place!

The e.r. didn't know what was wrong with me, so they gave me morphine. It was the worse thing they could've done!

Hard drugs like that can cause the pancreatitis to get worse.

I turned yellow, but once they put me through all sorts of test and realized what it was... they took me off the morphine right away!

My situation got to the point that my daughter told the surgeon, if you have to take out my mother's pancreas...I want her shipped to Boston!

My daughter is a nurse, and she thought that I was not going to make it at one point!

I finally got to go home...when I showed them that I could eat some solid food.
I forced part of a sandwich down, only because I wanted out of there fast!

I did have to wait weeks before my gallbladder came out. The surgeon kept me on a bland diet till all leisons were gone from my liver. I had so many cat scans, that I'm surprised I didn't glow in the dark from all the radioactive dye! lol

He did ask me if my llmd thought that this could've been from the lyme. Llmd said they'll never know for sure.

I'm not a doctor either, and I hope I'm not scaring you, but just want you to continue seeing your doc...he does sound like he knows what he's doing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Please let us know how you make out!
lymeloco

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korinne21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

Thats funny because heartburn/indigestion was my first symptom then i had the pain in my right upper quadren! lol

Well yea. im just hoping i dont have to change meds... Is heartburn an indication of GB disease or not nessicarily?

Just wondering!

TTYL

Korinne

Posts: 102 | From henryville. PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 14 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo...so sorry about your bile duct. I will be thinking and praying for you.

It amazes me how differently they do things now. In 1980 I had pancreatitis from gravel sized stones blocking my bile ducts..man was I ever sick. They removed the gall bladder and the gravel at the same time. I felt so good afterwards...like a different person.

I often wonder if the Lyme caused my gall bladder problems...since I got Lyme in 1972. Guess I will never know.

Please take care..and please do not eat sausage after you have it out for awhile....It hurt me like heck...LOL

Jean

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

No, lymeloco, you didn't scare me....yet! If I can get in to get the first procedure done ASAP, I'll be really happy.

I woke up in really bad pain this morning. Could barely get out of bed to get my medicine. Scared the fool out of me.

Got the MRI done EARLY this morning.

Korinne...Heartburn can have many causes...Gallbladder problems could be the cause.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, lymeloco, you didn't scare me....yet! If I can get in to get the first procedure done ASAP, I'll be really happy.

I woke up in really bad pain this morning. Could barely get out of bed to get my medicine. Scared the fool out of me.

Got the MRI done EARLY this morning.

Korinne...Heartburn can have [b]many causes...Gallbladder problems could be the cause.

[/B]

Lymetoo,
Both my daughters had their gallbladders out.
One just had her sout a month ago.

Both our doing great!

As far as I know, they don't have lyme!

They experienced g.e.r.d., and the oldest got real sick after going out with her girlfriends for a couple of drinks!

It seems to run in families. My sister, mother, two nieces have had there's out also!

Before my lyme diagnosis. I had trouble with burning on my tongue, but never heartburn like my daughters.

I had a fundoplication years back...only to find out that it was an unnecessary operation. It seems I had some mild esophagitis.

I've had more tests, procedures, doctors than you can imagine. Since diagnosis, and being on meds... I haven't had any problems.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Are you still getting fluids in? Force it done if you have to.

I had difficulty eating and drinking because I was herxing also.
We don't think the tetracycline was the culprit. The surgeon said the same thing.

I think the problems had been present for a long time, and the herx brought out the symptoms more...kinda like icing on the cake...not as tasty though.

You'll do fine! It's surprising how much better you feel after. Both daughters can eat and drink whatever they want!

So hang in there! Keep us posted... o.k.?

lymeloco

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Heya lymetoo

Well i got my ultrasound done today ofcorse...

While she was doing my ultrasound she knew i was very medical literate and she knew i knew what i was looking at HAHA
So she saw something in my ultrasound, she had 3 other tech's come in to look at it to make sure they saw what she did, and they did.

She even brought the pictures to the doctor to see what he might think...weird.

Well it looked like it was either a sludge or gravel at the bottom of my gallbladder. They said that my doctors office should be getting a report within 48 hours...

So i guess its a waiting game, but i didnt see any big stones or anything but that doesnt mean i dont have anything, im thinking it more likely gravel causing the problem...

Just wanted to update! thanks for caring hehe

Korinne

Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too too:

Cigi just had this done 2 weeks ago. She'll be interested to discuss this with you.

Your ever-optimistic posts and support keep me hanging on with a smile.

We'll picture your tutu under the surg gown. Won't someone be surprised!

Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, quick little greatly simplified anatomy lesson....

The gall bladder stores and released bile into the billiary tree...a series of canals that end up in the small intestine...This same tree has branches that begin at the pancreas...

So, think of gall bladder on the right...pancreas on the left...both releasing their goodies into the top limbs of the billiary tree, ending in one opening in the small intestine.

If the billiary tree is clogged up with sludge or small stones, it's simpler and less invasive to go through the mouth with an endoscope to the opening in the small intestine.

There they clip open the sphincter to the base of the trunk of the billiary tree to allow what amounts to a teeny tiny miniature back hoe to enter the tree.

It can then remove what has built up in the tree, like sludge or stones.

If the billiary tree becomes sludged and or filled with stones from the gall bladder it can also back up like the plumbing in your house and damage the pancreas...

Hence the development of the ERCP...the snazy little procedure that I just described above.

It's an outpatient procedure and was essentially a no brainer for me...they give you night night IV meds, perform the ERCP, wake you up, and you go home...

Follow up blood work is necessary to see if the ERCP has opened up the billiary tree.

My gall bladder was emergency surgery...followed by an ERCP a week later. My liver function tests were still horrible after the gall bladder was removed, so the billiary tree needed roto rootering too.

If the ERCP solves your problem, that's terrific! Avoiding the gall bladder surgery is a plus....
If you still need it tho', let us know kiddo. You'll get lots of support!

Oh yeah...I almost forgot....good for you to get some real pain relief meds! This kind of pain is agonizing....Mine put me in shock...they couldn't get an IV started because of it, and I was begging for relief...

Hang in here!
Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Well, I have good news! The MRI showed that the bile duct was clear. Makes me wonder why the hida scan showed a problem with "emptying" into the small intestine....??

So, I'm waiting for a call from the surgeon's office. The nurse mentioned next Thursday as a possible surgery date. Fine with me, but I'd hoped for earlier than that.

Korinne....that gravel can be worse than larger stones, because it can get stuck in the ducts. Hopefully, you can get this taken care of without surgery.

But I'm with you, if you'd rather just get the thing yanked out. I now with I'd done it a long time ago!

Breathwork....thanks for the info! I hope they can get this done before anything really bad happens!

Lymester....hmmm... I'll have to see if they have bigger gowns to accomodate my pink tutus!!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Hey lymetoo....

Well got a call from the docs office today, and i have bad news lol

I have either sludge or small stones in my gallbladder and the lyme center wants me to consult with a surgeon to see if they think it should be taken out or not...

Guess im going to have to do that huh...well im still having pain so maybe i should deff. get surgery because i dont want to have to deal with more pain on top of the pain i already have...

Just wanted to give ya all an update...

Korinne

trueblue
Member # 7348

quote:
Well, I have good news! The MRI showed that the bile duct was clear. Makes me wonder why the hida scan showed a problem with "emptying" into the small intestine....??

So, I'm waiting for a call from the surgeon's office. The nurse mentioned next Thursday as a possible surgery date. Fine with me, but I'd hoped for earlier than that.

Yay, tutu! I'm so happy that it was clear. I'm hoping they get you an earlier date than next week.

Kori ~ I hope everything works out alright.

I'll hug the two of you when it won't hurt so much. k?

(edited because my fingers lost their mind)

[This message has been edited by trueblue (edited 07 July 2005).]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hey Korinne! Sorry to hear that....just go with your gut instinct. My gut instinct last year [actually '03] said WAIT.

This time it is YELLING do it now!!!!

Thanks, trueblue!

Surgery will be next Thursday (the 14th) at 9:00 a.m.

cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Just had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago with no problems, medically. I had mild discomfort after 350 doses of rocephin (my 6 mos). Was going to continue on rocephin till big time psych stuff going on. Have a fluid restriction problem from salt condition (caused by an ssri that I've been taken off) that I didn't alert the hospital that I had, neither did my doc. Gave me too much fluid when I'm on 1 liter fluid restriction a day. Got too much fluid I'v from anesthesia... Out of hospital Wednesday with no gall bladder and went to hosp. Monday with psych symptoms from hell. Low sodium causes so much more mental symptoms that i could never imagine without being put away. My sodium dropped to seizure level. On sodium pills, stopped ssri(lexapro) which is never recommended cold turkey, but had to do to siadh (condition caused by ssri's that I never had before January and on treatment). If you have anything pre-existing, make sure you tell them so you can go through the surgery quick and easy. Knew I had 5 stones 3 mos ago. from rocephin, must have had more - no attack but discomfort. Ironic thing is, now my psych told my llmd no more rocephin cause not helping me. gall bladder out for nothing. You've been such a help to me and thank you for your words. I'm still in my own hell, but talkable this week - no identity...but at least i can write to you to tell you my experience. I hope you do well, it's a fast surgery and I'm healed physically (a long way to go emotionally/mentally).

Good luck - God bless,
Cigi

[This message has been edited by cigi (edited 08 July 2005).]

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, cigi. I'm glad you're doing a tiny bit better now. You've been thru real ell!

I told them everything I could think of regarding my medical history. They're going to give me abx IV [zithromax, I think] so I may wake up in herx h***!!

That gallbladder of yours probably would have given out later on anyway, even with oral abx. I suspect mine has been clogged by 4 1/2 yrs of abx! No IV, but plenty of orals.

Feel free to email me. I'd kinda like to chat with you.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this board and just reading about all the gallbladder problems/removals that people have as a result of Lyme. It makes sense as all these antibiotics are so hard on the system.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar or had ever done any sort of liver/gallbladder flush. I've done several and they really help get out stones and clear out a bunch of liver sludge/accumulated toxins.

The one flush that I do (or did before I got Lyme) is not as successful and taxing on the system if you are sick, but I did find another 5 day cleanse that is gentle and has all natural (but powerful)herbal ingredients. I just did it a couple of months ago and got out some stones, chaff, and sludge. And I got some color in my cheeks and felt a little better and actually lost a few of the 50 pounds of weight I gained with this Lyme.

Anyway, if anyone's interested I got it from American Botanical Pharmacy at herbdoc.com. Dr. Schulze (he's quite gregarious and kind of put me off at first before I tried his products and they worked for me) is the guy behind this. He's a PhD not a medical doc.

The other one I did that only lasts about a day but more hard core is just done with epsom salt, olive oil, and grapefruit juice.

I just wanted to mention these in case it might help anyone.

Cheers,

Alison

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement