LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mikayla is going to Children's Hospital tomorrow for her diabetes..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mikayla is going to Children's Hospital tomorrow for her diabetes..
lymebrat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you all an update on Mikayla..sorry I haven't checked in lately, but things have been touch and go.

As most of you know she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in May. She had ketoacidosis and went into diabetic shock with sugar levels of 971 and her A1C was 14.6.

Her doctor said they were shocked to see a child with levels as high as hers not in a coma..she is a lucky little girl.'

We are still having a hard time trying to keep her levels near a somewhat normal range.

We had a period of 2 weeks where her levels were great and then boom just like when she was diagnosed she went into the 500's again.

She is also experiencing frequent lows where she gets below 50 and all but passes out..very scary for her and me!

I just found out last week that the endocrinologist she is seeing, is not specialized in pediatrics. He does treat children, but is not a pediatric endocrinologist.

So as I am told she is insulin sensitive and she keeps going from 500's to 50's, I decided to ask for a referral to have her seen by a pediatric endo.

Just Tuesday she was 200 before we went shopping ( and I gave her a snack as well)and less than 30 mins later she feel and was dizzy.

I gave her 2 glucose tablets and checked her levels and she was at 51....there was no warning that she was getting low.

For some reason if her levels are between 80 and 100, she can tell me she feels funny or low, but once it gets below 80, there is no warnings that she is getting low until she all but passes out.

So her doctor is sending her to the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth to see the head of pediatric endocrinology tomorrow.

I am told that this doctor is the best of the best in this field and am hoping her can help us get her numbers in better control.

2 weeks ago her other endo ordered the insulin pump for her, but the pump company and the Children's Hospital both think that with her numbers being so erratic that it is too soon to attempt the pump.

She was really looking forward to not having to have her insulin shots every day and is bummed that she has to wait for the pump.

She continues to be a trooper about the finger pricks and shots everyday, but sometimes it gets a little overwhelming fro her.

She hates having to wake up everyday and be reminded she is sick as she has to have a shot first thing every morning.

We have signed up for a the diabetes walk for a cure in our state and I have signed her up in the JDRF penpal list, so hopefully other kids her age will write her and share their feeling about having diabetes.

The hospital we are going to tomorrow has a support group once a month where the kids have a diabetic friendly tea party and kids get to do group activities, and the parents get to chat about the latest diabetes information and just support one another..

It will be nice for Mikayla to meet other children with diabetes and for me as well..

I had my first run in with the school just before school let out. They had a move up day, where the kids get to meet their new teacher and even though the nurse and I gave the new teacher her health care plan, she let Mikayla walk to the nurses office by herself when she said she felt low.

She fell down on the way, but managed to get there and after they treated her with juice and sugar tabs she was 49, so she must have been about 40 when she got there.

The nurse called me and asked me to pick Mikayla up as she said she was too tired to get through the day..and of course she forgot to mention that the teacher sent her to the nurses office by herself.

I was so upset I wanted to hit someone, and I am a very calm person. But I gave this teacher her health care plan, told her personally that she needed to have a friend walk her to the nurse if she felt too weak that the nurse said she'd come get her..and yet she was allowed to walk to the nurse alone...grrrr!

I was told that a member from the Children's Hospital will come to the school and speak to all staff members who will have contact with Mikayla, including custodians, lunch staff etc..and will stress the importance of making sure she is not allowed to be alone at any time in school...

As well as go over all the other issues in dealing with a child with diabetes...

Unfortunately I have no faith in the schools ability to care for my child at this time and hope that once the hospital trains the staff, I will again be able to entrust them with my daughter. I will have to pray on this!

Okay, I have to run and get all my papers and record in order for Mikayla;s trip to the hospital tomorrow, I wanted to check in and let you know how she is doing and ask that you once again keep her in your prayers..

Thanks you and God Bless,

Missy

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement