LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bowen Labs, their 15-page Q/A drs. complete for testing.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bowen Labs, their 15-page Q/A drs. complete for testing.
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all of you who have used Bowen labs to test for co-infections, can you explain more about their procedures to me/others?

I asked my PCP dr.'s RN to call Bowen to have them send them the co-infection blood kit. Yesterday I checked after 3 weeks of not hearing from anyone.

Nurse said the dr. has to complete a 15 page Q/A and return it to Bowen.

What is this all about? Have you folks seen it yourself and what all is in it?

Anyone have a copy of what their dr. completed?

I had no knowledge about this Q/A before this. Thanks for satisfying my curiousity.

bettyg, Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! I never heard of doctors haveing to do that before giving that test.

Here is the Bowen website, where you can e-mail them about the doctor's questionnaire.
I bet you will get some answers. Hope so. http://www.bowen.org/index.html

Ann - OH

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann, thanks for info. I just emailed them and will wait for their response...

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have phoned Bowen and asked for information to be faxed to me about their testing since it is not clear at their web site. For example, how can they possibly test for all the strains of Babesia, isn't there 13 or so?

They tell me my doctor office must request it and they can only fax it to a doctor's office.

I find that curious since Igenex and MDL have great sites and are happy to mail info and collection kits.

[This message has been edited by janet thomas (edited 09 July 2005).]

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nestle
Member # 878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nestle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Bowen labs since 1999. They use the standard blood smear for Babs and Ehrlichia.

They are certified in FL and will soon be FDA approved. The reason they are still a "research" lab is purely political. Dr. Whitaker is a very good researcher. Her cv is wonderful. I think that is also on their website

Bowen labs is moving into a new location in FL by the end of the year. Their testing procedures have been proven but all of that is also political.

If you have any questions please call the lab. They answer your questions/concerns.

Good luck.

Karen

Posts: 75 | From Cincinnati, OH, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nestle:
.......and will soon be FDA approved.....

Their testing procedures have been proven but all of that is also political.

LOL, they been saying they're about to be FDA approved for a few years. Their testing procedures haven't been proven and that's why they're not and won't ever be FDA approved.

Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nestle
Member # 878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nestle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FDA approval is not even needed for a lab. Next time you look at lab work see how much has FDA approval. FDA approval is just a money making scam! Look at all of the FDA drug recalls.

Karen

Posts: 75 | From Cincinnati, OH, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

I have called them and cannot get any information.

A standard blood smear generally refers to an examination of the thin edge of a dried and Wright stained smear of peripheral blood under oil immersion lense at 1000x. This is part of a CBC, complete blood count.

The smear is examined for red blood cell morphology, to estimate platelet numbers and do a differential-100 white blood cells are counted and it is reported how many are neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, basophils,eosinophils,etc.

As best I can figure, Bowen uses a fluorescent antibody to tag antigen (for example, the Lyme bacteria) and then quantitates the number seen microscopically. I cannot find further information about their technique.

An antibody-antigen complex is like a lock and key. Although some keys may look alike only the key specific for the lock will open it. So, to test for 13 strains of Babesia would require 13 different flourescent tagged antibodies.

I phoned Bowen and asked for which Babesia do they test. No information was available.

Same dilemma with Ehrlichia.

janet

[This message has been edited by janet thomas (edited 09 July 2005).]

bg
Member # 46416

Treepatrol, if you read this, would you add Bowen Alice's breakdown to your newbie links info on Bowen? THANKS TREE!

Hi folks,

Using Ann's wonderful suggestion, I emailed Bowen, and here is what I received back promptly!

"All the pages that were faxed to your pcp is not for him.

Breadown:

pg 1 letter of Protocol physisican
2 information page about test
3 letter to office manager
4 protocol for lab if blood is collected in pcp office
5 Final Report Request is the ONLY page that the physician is require to sign and sent to us
6 copy of patent for our test
7 protocol for patient to take to outside lab to have blood drawn
8 is kit order form for the blood kit(our kit consist of 2 tubes, stryoform & mailing sleeve not necessary unless lab requires it)
9 thru 13 is paperwork that the PATIENT needs to fill out and RETURN with the blood once it is drawn for us.

The cover page that is faxed with the protocol explains to KEEP the last seven pages for master file.

If after this breakdown and you still have problems, have them to call the office back 727 937 9077 and I will try to help them understand the paperwork.

This is the protocol for all physicians, this is the first time that I have had anyone to say that all the pages were for the physician.

Please email me back if you still have a problem. Alice, Bowen labs"

PS - I also informed Bowen's Alice I was posting this breakdown of the 13 pages to lymenet.org web site. They APPROVED this and had 1 minor addition to no. 8 which I just changed to their wording.

bettyg, Iowa

[This message has been edited by bettyg (edited 12 July 2005).]

mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

I used Bowen for my test and it was a piece of cake to fill out the forms. They are right about the Dr. having to only sign one form. Maybe they are reluctant to do it. By the way Bowen is a reputable firm no matter what others think. If not for them alot of us would be dead or in wheelchairs. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!! Also compared to all the other labs they are cheap!

Mule

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nestle:
FDA approval is not even needed for a lab. Next time you look at lab work see how much has FDA approval. FDA approval is just a money making scam! Look at all of the FDA drug recalls.

Karen

If they don't get FDA approval, no insurance company will ever cover it, trust me. It is a big deal. With something as controversial as this, they need it to become legitimate. Most of the good Lyme docs won't even pay any attention to those results let alone order them.

Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

up ... BG
SandiB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SandiB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
24bit,
With all due respect, some very reputable LLMDs use the Bowen Q-RIBb test. You may be buying into the negative rhetoric coming from a few who don't even understand the test, or
take the time to learn about it.

As I mentioned above over 7,000 people wouldn't have known they had Lyme if it wasn't for the Bowen Q-RIBb test, because they were negative on other Lyme test. Those 7,000 test were ordered by doctors, I don't believe all of them would fall into your category of not being good Lyme doctors. My family and most of my support group members are a part of this number, and we are all seeing good Lyme literate doctors. I know because we are all getting well.

Bowen Lab is in research status, that is why insurance companies usually don't pay for the test. However, Bowen is allowed to ask for the donation of $250 for the test.

FDA approval doesn't determine whether or not an insurance company will pay for the test. In a few cases I have heard where some people's insurance companies have paid for the Bowen test. Other labs test for Lyme are not FDA approved, however some are covered by insurance. For the tests that aren't being reimbursed by insurance companies, his doesn't mean they won't be in the future.

The bacteria that causes Lyme doesn't fit into the usual FDA requirements for approval, hence the reason none of the Lyme test are receiving FDA approval. So much more published research needs to be done. Also, one must realize that there is a reluctance politically motivated to hold back the truth about how prevalent Lyme is in the US.

SandiB

[This message has been edited by SandiB (edited 10 July 2005).]

Posts: 991 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

I never said a lab test needs to be FDA approved for it to be covered by insurance. I said that because they're controversial and questioned by so many, they won't get any credibility until they are FDA approved, and until then I'll guarantee you that no insurance will touch it. I'd like to know which compnay does. I don't believe it at all.

I used to be on the Bowen bandwagon. I know all about what they do, but my mind was slowly changed when I saw the evidence that they really don't know what they're really looking at. They don't have musch credibility with the top Lyme docs. That's a fact.

If people want to know if they have Lyme, they should use IGenex and try one other place like Medical Labs, and maybe do another IGeneX WB for piece of mind. Not that you have to be 100% CDC positive at IGeneX, but if you can't get near the bands needed to have Lyme per the IGeneX standard with two tries, then it's highly likely that you don't have Lyme and you have another disease that has similar symptoms.

[This message has been edited by 24bit (edited 10 July 2005).]

janet thomas
Member # 7122

I know I have Lyme and had (still have?) Babesia. My primary interest with Bowen is as another test to check for Babesia. I am still unable to find good information about their Babesia testing.

janet

ivebeentricked
Member # 6944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebeentricked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with 24bit, Bowen is the first test that came back positive for lyme (for me) and it pointed me in the right direction because I do have lyme disease, but I don't have it because Bowen said so. I have it because I have it and I have tested positive via other methods. I honestly believe that my test would have come back positive whether or not I really had lyme.

Bowen's tests are not proven effective and I would have to bet that they won't ever be proven effective because it seems that they all come back positive. My LLMD was really sold on Bowen but even he has turned around and does not use it any longer. And my other LLMD won't even order tests through them because he is convinced that they are not worth the time or money.

If you really want to hear you are positive for lyme whether you are or not, then go ahead and order a test from bowen. Otherwise try one of IgeneX many different kinds of tests.

Posts: 99 | From California | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

up -- revised no. 8 of breakdown per Bowen's request.

I informed Alice, Bowen, I had posted their breakdown to the lymenet.org web site. Alice's supr. APPROVED doing this, but had 1 minor addition to no. 8 which I made now.

bettyg

hodologica
Member # 6408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hodologica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
24bit,
How did you decide Bowen were making erroneous determinations with their assay? Everything I read seems to assume that robust antibody labelling is quite specific, tho I havent read any papers explicitly examining this question.

I'm not planning on getting the Bowen test, but I am going to school right now in hopes of doing borrelia research one day, and I already spend endless time speculating about the details of what is going on in borreliosis. I study every scrap of info I can get since the disease is so poorly described. I have always figured Bowen probably knew what they were looking at, but cant be certain, and I am really eager to hear precisely/concretely why you take the opposite view. Assuming what they observe there is correct, it is highly important in its differences from published descriptive studies of lyme, of which there are very few, and most of them possibly incomplete for one reason or another.

Feel free to email me if you want.

Eric

Posts: 62 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hodologica
Member # 6408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hodologica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump - hoping to hear from you, 24-bit
Posts: 62 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Do a search on the topic and you'll find plenty of discussion on it in the past couple of years as to why they don't know what they're looking at.
Cap
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again with the everyone tests positive with Bowen. Like I said before, and I will say it again, that's simply is not true.

1. There are people who talked about there were negative tests reported through Bowen.

2. I am one of them. I was positive with Bb, Babs and HGE. After treatment the Babs and HGE tests were negative.

I tested positive of Bb through two separate labs.

I am not a doctor or a lab tech, so don't ask me how the test works, but for me these tests showed a logical progression.

But I know anyone who says 'every test from Bowen is positive" is either misinformed or trying to stir people up.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke to a very well respected researcher who does work with spirochetes and Alzheimer's. This researcher is very familiar with different types and or strains. I brought up the question concerning the Bowen test...that people are saying there are too many positives so it can't be accurate. I also mentioned to this person that those who do test positive on the Bowen and go on to receive long term antibiotics care, are greatly improving.

The researcher said that even if there was some cross reacting going on with similar strains, that most likely, these other strains react in the body the same way as Bb and therefore may respond to the same treatment. So...the point is that many of us are infected with something that responds to antibiotics and the Bowen test is revealing it. I am not saying though that the Bowen test is not accurate in detecting Bb, I'm just saying that we need to pay attention to the results it is getting.

Lida Mattman's lab was shut down for finding lyme in too many patients...especially M.S. patients. Her test confirmed 100% of the positive bloods sent to her by Dr. Whitaker. Now politics seems to be aiming their arrows at the Bowen test.

Take the Epstein Barr virus for example ...that is just one of many viruses that is in most of , if not all of the population. Why does this seem so impossible with lyme? It is strongly suspected that lyme is not just passed through a tick bite. It has been found in milk off the grocery store shelves, mites, fleas, breast milk, semen, placenta , tears, well water and even african dust.

Whether one wants to use the Bowen test or not for their personal diagnosis is up to them but it is my opinion that it's time science and the public takes a hard look at the possibility that Lyme(Bb) and related spirochetes could be a pandemic plaque and that this is what the Bowen Test is revealing. I feel the government (corporations) does not want this known.

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hodologica
Member # 6408

> Do a search on the topic and you'll
> find plenty of discussion on it in
> the past couple of years as to why
> they don't know what they're looking at.

24bit, its your views I'm interested in... I've read old threads on this in past months, but according to the search engine this is the only preserved thread where you have addressed this subject.

I'll tell you what I think. As daystar says, EBV is known to infect most healthy humans. While much less well known, overwhelming evidence indicates that the same is true of more than one bacterium. See the work of Bisset, G.G. Tedeschi, Phyllis Pease, and more recently R. MacLaughlin. The possibility of widespread seronegative asymptomatic borrelia infection should not be considered implausible at all. What would be strange is the same titers existing in sick and healthy humans. Therefore I am surprised Bowen has not commented on whether the titers correlate with illness (or published in a refereed journal for that matter).

The article linked above by Martijn is of great interest. It vaguely suggests that all cultures of healthy humans are now positive for Bb but were not in 1995. I truly doubt that the bulk of healthy people were uninfected with borrelia in 1995 but became infected by 1999.

bg
Member # 46416

Martijn,

would you kindly edit your long web address to 2 lines so I can read the contents here without scrolling left/right since I started this post? thanks so much ... I can't read it this way.

bettyg

daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it's possible that symptomatic Lyme disease requires coinfections to be present? Perhaps many in the population who only have lyme and no heavy loads of coinfections or a specific co-factor, don't show symptoms or get over it quickly.

Could it be this is why titers showing the prevalence of one germ may not correlate with the patient's morbidity?

For example, I believe that Prof Nicolson feels that while mycoplasma indeed causes problems in many who are chronically ill, that it may be a cofactor which has to be present with another microbe in order to do the job right. Biowarfare agents often are a combination of several microbes or parts of microbes inserted into another.

MDL labs and Nicolson's lab shows that 60 % of lyme patients are coinfected with mycoplasmas. Just thinking out loud

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least for me, the higher the load and the more concentration of green glowing bacteria in the pictures are present, the sicker I am. And when I am better, vice versa.

Dr. S in PA said that he has treated people down to the point where the culture does not pick up any glowing bacteria, and usually these people feel better at that point, or in 'remission'.

This was before they had the 'load' number. Then it was not 100% exact, but you could see if the ABX was working based on seeing less and less green, and the all important thing, feeling better.

But I agree with GiGi on this one, when you get a chronically ill person, it's usually more than Lyme that is making them sick at that time. It's usually many factors, not just Bb.

And I am not just speaking for myself when I say not every one tests + for Bowen. There have been people on this site that have tested - on various infection tests At Bowen the first time through.

I don't know how perfect the test is or not, but I just wanted to point out the statement that everyone posts positive is not true!

(I know, I sound like a broken record...)

As far as I know, they do controls with the bacteria to make sure they are not getting cross reactivity.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Martijn, thanks for making the web page smaller so I can read everyone's comments.

Yes, my monitor is that size ... It has ENLARGED many things for my lower eyesight that I could not read otherwise.

bettyg

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement