LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Famous people with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Famous people with Lyme
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
A yr ago Amy Tam was diagnosed with Lyme as was the author of "Ya Ya Sister". Now Daryl HAll and Sexton, the quarterback.

There is another author who was identified a few months ago.
Anyone know who that was?

Hopefully their exposure will help the cause.

My thought s are with any of you in the "Dennis's" Path.

Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was Meg Cabot.....or whoever wrote YaYa Sisterhood.

[This message has been edited by Lymetoo (edited 10 July 2005).]

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also heard that one of the people in the band KORN has it too. Don't know if it is true or not. Would be nice if the famous people who have it would get together and do a LYME AID like they do for other diseases. It would sure help with the funds for research, help for the people who can't afford treatment and public awareness.

What a difference this would make in our "Lyme" community!!

------------------
ICEY

IDAHO LYME SUPPORT GROUP
[email protected]

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ALSLYME
Member # 6721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALSLYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you know Michael j Fox got lyme while he filmed the movie Doc Hollywood. He sure does raise them alot of money now for Parkinson's.

For all the money they raise for these diseases that are only called diseases because of symptoms with no known cause, or cure.

You would think people would demand results instead of constantly funding their research, and they give us a hard time and say lyme is "no big deal", but its spreading faster than AIDS and resembles syphilis in so many ways, and we all know the damage that syphilis can do untreated.

Posts: 94 | From Maryland, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the writer of Ya Ya Sisterhood. I used to see her doctor and he told me he was treating her. He also told me he is treating Oprahs stage manager. Don't know if any of its true but the doc told me he is trying to get more famous people to gain exposure.
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six years ago I worked with a woman who had lyme. I'd never heard anything about lyme prior to meeting her and I'm sorry to say that I didn't pay to much attention. I just knew she was out sick every now and then.

I do remember her telling me at the time that Eddie Murphy had lyme.

Anyone ever hear that? I'm sure this person knew it to be true. I wonder if he still does? I never heard anything about it other than this one person telling me.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon Bon Jovi and Richard Geer. But they got treatment early.
Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rebecca Wells is the author of "Ya Ya Sisterhood".

Ashame famous people with lyme are not advocates for this disease.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

I have been told that often "famous" people do not want to advertise their illnesses because they are afraid it will turn people off to their fame or make them appear to be "weak". Any thoughts on this?
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are entitled to their privacy.
Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these the authors you were referring to?

Thursday, May 19, 2005, 7-10PM, the Lyme Disease Association (LDA) will host Literati with Lyme, a fundraising event at New York University, entitled ``Writer's Block of the Worst Kind.'' The event is featuring Literati who have all had Lyme disease: Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club and movie); Meg Cabot (The Princess Diaries series and movies); E Jean Carroll (advice columnist for Elle Magazine); Jordan Fisher Smith (Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra); and Jennifer Weis (executive editor St. Martin's Press).

------------------

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting I didn't know Michael J Fox got Lyme. He knows for sure he got it filming doc hollywood? That was filmed in South Carolina near Charleston. I lived there for six years and it would confirm the notion that Charleston is a hot zone. I believe that is where I got it. My LLMD said that over half of his new patients are from the Charleston area.

I wonder if there is a link between his Lyme and the Parkinson's? Although, in a documentary I saw a few years back they claimed that several of the people that were apart of the show Michael J Fox was on in the seventies in Canada have Parkinson's now.

A co-worker of mine has Lupus. Lately, she has been getting surveys from the Medical University where she is getting treatment. Funny the questions are mainly geared at acquired infections mostly bacteria. I remember one question had something to do with drinking well water as a child.

Tim "Lumpy" Herron the professional golfer got Lyme about a year ago. He claims he got it on Long Island in the US Open last year at Shinnecock Hills.

Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rebecca Wells (Ya-Ya Sisterhood author) posted about her trouble with Lyme disease on her website. She has been too sick to make appearances. She is friends with Amy Tan, who has put a lot of money into the LymeAid4Kids fund.

Brooke Landau, who works for ESPN, had a segment on her bout with Lyme on the Today show.

Many people who have influence with the media are doing things. And the more people with clout are getting infected and speaking out, the harder it is becoming to deny the truth about Lyme.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BJG:
Hi,
A yr ago Amy Tam was diagnosed with Lyme as was the author of "Ya Ya Sister". Now Daryl HAll and Sexton, the quarterback.

There is another author who was identified a few months ago.
Anyone know who that was?

Hopefully their exposure will help the cause.

My thought s are with any of you in the "Dennis's" Path.

Peace,
BJG

Also there's Lenny Clark/comediene/actor.
Did the show It's All Relative!

My fiance listens to a Boston sports talk radio show, and Lenny Clark was on talking about how sick he is with lyme. He's been in and out of Ma. General Hospital quite a bit!

He has a sister who lives on Martha's Vineyard who has m.s..

lymeloco

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont believe they back away because it makes them look 'weak' in regards to movie stars (but for professional sports players it might be valid)

I think it is more of an issue that they already have their causes.

Richard Geer was very ill with Lyme, but he already has his causes. And if I remember right, he went out of the States to get treatment.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Do you think we would ever find out if the President had Lyme? Probably not that or anything else. Wouldn't it wonderful though to have some like that jump on our band wagon!
Can any of you sing or act? We need to make you famous.

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember hearing Alice Walker has lyme.

Also a female journalist, name I can't remember, was treated with IV abx and HBOT after experiencig paralysis and is now in remmission.

The actress who played Meadow in the Sopranos also spoke about her experience with lyme.

Sorry, don't recall more details.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a post, {re: Rocco Baldelli, the Devil Rays star outfielder} that I posted here in Medical,

but I was e-mailed privately from a discerning "Lymenet pal" saying this kind of post does not belong in Medical...
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/035845.html

the e-mail said...

[[[there was nothing medical to add to this board by your post...not a request for medical information....just another lyme disease story.....

who do you think is going to read that stuff........some messiah........ ]]]

That was about the 4th e-mail I recieved from this 'pal', I do have to admit ...I reluctantly replied to each one, I felt I had to...to defend my self for this posting!

If I am wrong in posting this type of articles in Medical....please forgive me...did I really do wrong?

If there was nothing pertinant in this article...please let me know.

But then, I guess, I, at least, got to see another angle of an LD personality from 'Our Lyme Pal'...Whew!

Have a good evening all...
laserred

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

There are a LOT of articles posted in medical that don't belong and as long ad it doesn't make certain people upset it will stay.

Medical gets the most attention so I can easily understand why people post everything here. I honestly think people forget. Its easy to do. I've done it myself.

there will always be people trying to be the boss. I mostly ignore them because I don't care. they mean nothing to me so I don't get too upset.

I work with bossy people, live with bossy people. I'm not impressed so i ignore them and go my own way.

Now that you've brought this up I'll bet money it gets moved or deleted.

I like knowing who the famous people are that have lyme. don't we all buy People magazine?

Don't let it bother you laserred. Some people can get a little silly.

laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymeindunkirk:
Don't let it bother you laserred

Thanks, Lymeindunkirk....Sincerely, I did need to hear that!

You made me feel alot better!

I can move forward now...I thought maybe I committed an unprecedented act that was unforgivable (according to his e-mails...in (not)so many words...I 'was way out of line'), and i felt I was going to get banned and never be able to hold my head up high enough to ever return again, unless I justified myself!

Pre-LD..it used to be a whole lot easier!

Thanks again
laserred

[This message has been edited by laserred (edited 12 July 2005).]

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only television show that my husband watches is West Wing. He is President and there is this whole conflict about him having MS and perhaps not seeming strong enough for re-election, or something like that.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they wrote in the script that he actually had lyme? Anybody know any writers on that show?

Probably this does belong in the other section. But I wouldn't have seen it there. I guess it is ok to admit the oversight, and move on. Isn't it up to the moderator to monitor that anyway? I wouldn't even mention it, but I had trouble accessing this sight today for quite awhile. Perhaps so much traffic? So many posts on Medical?

I am glad to have read this. It was intereting. Thanks for posting it. I will have to get in the habit of looking in the General Support section for more interesting entries.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 14 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ALL,

First, thank you all for responding.
Second, sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Third, Yes, I can sing and act-----poorly, but,...

It would be a tremendous boost in awareness if a powerful person exposed their personal battle with Lyme.

I think it will be happening soon, for we can now read a Sunday paper with 2 Lyme articles.
That hasn't happened in the past,

I feel yukki for wanting anyone to contact this evil disease, but if they do it would be nice to have them step over their own personal stuff and take up the cause.

BIGMAMMA, you found the article. Thank you.

again, all, thanks for talking.

Peace,
BJG

LYMETOO, ya getting ready???
Prayen for ya.

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klcst
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klcst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can add Wyatt Sexton to the list. For those who love college football, Wyatt is the number one quarterback for FLorida State.
People in the state are almost hysterical about it. Imagine that! Lyme in Florida!

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keith LeClair was the baseball coach at East Carolina University (NC) who had a quick decline after being diagnosed with both ALS and Lyme Disease back in 2002. I had hoped they would eventually determine that it was all Lyme, not ALS, but I have never been able to get an update on this story since 2003.

He progressed to becoming a quadraplegic over a period of just months.

Last I heard, he was on IV antibiotic treatment, but that was way back in 2003. So do not know what has happened since.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if it is true that Meryl Streep had or has Lyme? (or was it Glenn Close?)

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement