LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Frozen shoulder anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frozen shoulder anyone?
Cher44
Member # 7243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cher44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm FINALLY getting PT for my shoulder and arm. My PT told me she knew
nothing about lyme and would like any info I can give her concerning what's good and what's not when doing PT on a person with lyme.
Anyone experienced a frozen shoulder and have any advice....much appreciate any info!
Cher

Posts: 46 | From Maine | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has had a sore shoulder for 5months I would like to know what would help too?Something new.
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cher,
Frozen shoulder may be due to low thyroid.
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ireallywant2believe
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frozen shoulder anyone?

No thanks, already had that diagnosis. In my case it was a wrong diagnosis. I actually had a torn subscapularis tendon that the doctor missed because he never ordered an MRI. I guess he saved the insurance company $1500 or so?

So I did the PT, it didn't help (because it wouldn't help a torn tendon). And then the doctor gave me a steroid shot. BIG mistake
:-(

I had terrible reactions to the shot. And most Lyme patients don't do well on steroids.

Only then did he order the MRI. Now I have to live with this because surgery probably wouldn't help and the risk isn't worth it according to three tops surgeons in my area.

Diabetics are prone to frozen shoulder which is also called adhesive capsulitis

quote:
Originally posted by Cher44:
I'm FINALLY getting PT for my shoulder and arm. My PT told me she knew
nothing about lyme and would like any info I can give her concerning what's good and what's not when doing PT on a person with lyme.
Anyone experienced a frozen shoulder and have any advice....much appreciate any info!
Cher

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandygf
Member # 3516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandygf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cher-

What are your symptoms with the frozen shoulder?

For what seems like ages now my right shoulder bothers me.

Example -- I used to be able to reach behind my back to fasten my bra strap and now that is impossible. It is like the one arm can only go so high up my back and then just will not go any further. Also hurts and pulls when I force it. Is this what you have?

Anyway - hope your therapy helps.

Sandy

Posts: 99 | From central NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not certain what you mean by frozen; however; I was a regular exerciser, dancer, equestrienne, volleyball person and there was a point when I could not put my arms over my head because the pain was so bad.

Could this be an attack of the keets to a vulnerable area on you? Did you play tennis, lift weights, carry water buckets to the horses?

Let's just say, I never did PT. I went to get an appt for PT, but never followed up and neither did they!.

Once I was prescribed the abx any pain or stiffness I had slowly started to dissipate.

The back and upperbody pain was the worst.

Do not use icyhot or bengay if you are in pain, I would lay in bed and cry myself to sleep because I thought I was doing a good thing... all it did was draw focus to the pain.

treepatrol-- I've used ice packs on mine. The ice really took away a lot of pain that I had in my forearms. The soreness I get on either side of my shoulders and up into my neck is a bore... I mean it is a dull, gnawing, ache that I've taken tylenol for.

I currently see a chiropracter approx once a month.

Most everybody does not do well with steroids. It is a temporary fix to a previous injury.

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ireallywant2believe
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI about frozen shoulder aka adhesive capsulitis:

eMedicine - Adhesive Capsulitis : Article by Thierry HM Dahan, MD, LMCC, CCFP, FRCPC, FABPMR http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic8.htm

eMedicine - Adhesive Capsulitis : Article by Albert W Pearsall IV, MD http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic372.htm

Adhesive Capsulitis -- familydoctor.org http://familydoctor.org/374.xml

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, haven't been able to move right shoulder for about 9 months-significant pain when I tried. That is the first thing that improved when starting the minocycline that I'm on. Now I'm just waiting for the second thing to improve...
Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In April of 2004, I woke up with a very sore right shoulder. It started hurting for no reason. I did not know that I was dealing with lyme at the time, but I was.

I could not push open a car door with my shoulder, swim (except for a small dog paddle stroke) or sleep on it.

I saw an orthopedic doctor who could find nothing wrong with my shoulder, and thought it was "worn tendons".

I saw a PT who tried to help me, but the exercises didn't help at all.

I've been careful how I use my shoulder; and now that I know that lyme is an issue, I wonder if that isn't part of the problem.

I think all I can do is be careful with my shoulder. Exercise as best I can; and try to get rid of the lyme.

I wish you luck with your shoulder. I can relate....

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cher44
Member # 7243

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Cher44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ALL
sandygf...yep can't put a belt through the back loops, twist a cap, all those little things and if I move just right it drops me to me knees in pain. By far the worst symptom I've delt with so far. (Maybe because it is the one I'm dealing with at the moment....and a long moment it's been!)

I think I'm the women who has seen every doc going and had every test and diagnosis possible (bet I'm not alone)...anyway, I have had an MRI of my shoulder....tendonitis but the PT says that the frozen shoulder has to be delt with first.

My arm has nagged me for over a year and then after starting antibiotics in April it when from nagging to all out ##@%#@!
I coach softball and I was pretty much usless for the last 4 weeks of the season.
It has been one of the most painful things for me....I'm sure hoping the PT is going to help. I'm taking neurontin now and that is helping some.
And Carol....I've been on synthroid for almost 15 years so maybe that needs to be checked.
Ireallywant2believe....I'm going to check out this info...THANKS
Cher

Posts: 46 | From Maine | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WIZARD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIZARD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cher,

I had years of frozen shoulder and pain, tried all the PT etc. I finally got the nerve to go to acupuncture. The pain and immobility was gone within 4 treatments. It was amazing!

Of course, now I know it was Lyme, but it has been 18 months and I haven't had even a hint of pain there.

Posts: 252 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cher,
Sorry abt your shoulder pain. Send me and email and I can link you up with Pts in Maine or NH who know abt LD.....

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandygf
Member # 3516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandygf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cher -

That's really a shame about your softball coaching...hopefully you will get some relief soon.

Thanks for those very informative links you posted Ireallywant2......they lead me to believe that there is hope for the frozen shoulder.

Sandy

Posts: 99 | From central NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cher44
Member # 7243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cher44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again this place has helped me to stay afloat.....thanks!
WIZARD
Many of my friends have encouraged me to try acupuncture. It may be my next step. I'm taking neurontin 1200 mg a day and I am suppose to increase it next week. Today is the first day I have...well not been pain free but almost. Hate to keep adding more drugs.

Lymester
***Could this be an attack of the keets to a vulnerable area on you? Did you play tennis, lift weights, carry water buckets to the horses?
I think you may be right. This all started about 3 to 4 weeks after I started ABX
Hitting infield to my highschool softball team until I just couldn't do it with out extreme pain probably didn't help.
Cher

mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 10 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cher1
I have had frozen shoulder in both of my shoulders. Could not move hardly at all. Thank goodness it was at different times for each of them. Anyway I did the PT routine with one and deep tissue massage with the other. The PT helped but the deep tissue massage far out passed it and was not NEARLY as painful as the PT. PT was like being tortured.

If you all haven't tried ddep tissue massage try it. It is not the feel goody kind of massage. It hurts some but boy does it help joints and muscle spasms and pain alot alot alot!!!!

Hope you all are feeling better soon.
Blessings Mule

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after I posted yesterday on this thread, I woke up this morning to the worst shoulder pain that I've had since it started over a year ago! Sheesh! :-(

I guess writing about it "activated it"

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cher44
Member # 7243

Sorry timaca...hope it's a short stay.

I felt the best I have in a very, very long time yesterday...so of course I was ready to take on the world...well at least catch up on one-arm weeding my gardens and a list of other jobs. Payed for it last night. Major exhustion in a really weird kind of way...but isn't everything with this disease.
I'm going to slow it down a tad today.
Cher
Chery

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cher,

I have had severe shoulder pain. I worked with a wonderful PT who was ready to give up on me when my doctor prescribed Flexeril.

My advice is that you spend as much time as necessary on relieving the tension, relaxing the shoulder and reducing the pain. Do not start strengthening it while it hurts, because you won't get anywhere.

My PT used myofascial trigger point release. He actually usually uses acupuncture needles for this, but couldn't with me because my muscles would inflame. He had never seen anybody react to the way I did. So he used hands.

Honestly, the pain would be horrendous during the visits, and it didn't seem to help. Then I started Flexeril. I started at 5mg a day, and slowly increased. I noticed a difference at 20mg, and now stick to 30mg.

I overheard my PT tell a nurse he just didn't know what to do with me. That was right before the Flexeril began working. Then we noticed the work actually had an impact in relaxing the muscles. We increased the stretching, and slowly moved to stabilization exercises.

That's my story. I hope some of it helps. Remember that it is better to go slow then too fast. And it is ok to use meds if you need to.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement