LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with treatment - success stories?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with treatment - success stories?
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm, after some early initial success, things are going downhill.

My doc wants me to start 6 weeks of Zithro plus artemisinin...

But at this point, I'm open to some new ideas. I'm almost a tabula rasa - I've had v. little treatment so far... if you had it to do all over again, what would you do?

Any success stories out there who didn't use mega-abx doses? Any who did? Which ones etc?

Feeling discouraged. Please, need to hear some success stories with particulars - what did you do etc?

V. interested in low-dose or "non-standard" (if there is such a thing in Lyme) approaches...

THANKS! Am feeling ridiculously bad and discouraged right now

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022173.html

Its in newbie links at the bottom.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Success Stories http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022173.html

I've done hormone therapy, heparin therapy, 4 yrs of abx, including treatment for babesia numerous times.

Eat right and make sure you don't have systemic yeast.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 11 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no no no no no. I don't want to hear about four years of abx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who got better no low dose? or pulsed? or the marshall protocol? or using heparin? or or or doing bee stings or all othe other crazy things people do...?

I WILL NOT take four years of abx!!!!!!!! no way!!!!!!!!! I'm having a fit even thinkng about it!!!!!!!

sorry. but there has to be another way.

i've barely taken any abx yet!! aren't there people who get better just on IV something or other for a few weeks? aren't there new and different approaches?

HELP

(ok, havin' a really bad day today - sorry)

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruffy
Member # 7146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there.

This board is extremely beneficial, but it can confuse/deject. I think you do find a high majority of the extremely problematic cases on this board. I don't think this is by and large the majority of Lyme sufferers. I live in CT where this disease runs rampant and have talked to numerous success stories that didn't take 800 years of antibiotics. My jury is still hung. Yes, Lyme is complicated, yes it's very tricky. I have a close friend who had neurological lyme and he was better on 5 months. A woman diagnosed with MS for 13 years and better in 6 months. I just don't think those people come back to live on this board. They are out living their lives. If you do the math, you'd realize that. That being said, there are some smart people who know a lot about Lyme over here that can help educate you on what it takes to get better. This board is excellant in that regard. Just be smart in picking and choosing what to believe in or else you'll get yourself down. My advice, get your treatment under control, get your immune system back up, understand whether there are any complexities in your specific case(co-infections, any other contributing factors). Take it from there. My jury is still hung on what it takes. I was in pretty bad shape, I mean, REALLY bad shape last fall. I've been treated now for 4.5 months, now on IV, and I feel much better than I did. If you are late stage, it may take a while. I'm expecting at least a good 6-7 months of antibiotics.

Posts: 70 | From Fairfield, CT 06825 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes time treating it and it all depends how long you have been infected and if theres coinfections and how your immune responce is. Anyway you look at it you just dont have a choice if you want to get better.

Sorry good luck.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Newbies List 07/18/05

WELCOME To LYMENET

How to Post what where explanations
Posting
Remember This
Rules LymeNet.Org Webmaster
Rules
Here's more goodys! A typical response to newcomers.

Page 1.

Hi and WELCOME! Get a LLMD or at least Dr that is willing to learn about lyme. "Lyme literacy" means, first and
foremost, knowing how to diagnose the disease accurately. Borrelia Burgdorferi is a clinical diagnosis, based on symptoms and on your response to treatment. Good Luck, bumpy road ahead.
Lyme Disease symptoms 2005
Lyme Symptoms 2005
Post for a LLMD in
Seeking a Doctor. Ps remember I am not a Dr, just a fellow sufferer.
Support Links LLMD's

Lyme State Info Cheryl's
Why we Don't Use Dr's Names Here

LYME DISEASE TREATMENT & DIAGNOSIS
Cheryl's LDT&D
Lyme Disease Misdiagnosed As ...
Art Doherty Misdiagnosed
Art Doherty Lots a Links

Conflicts in Lyme

How to Search Courtesy of Danq
TC LymeNet Links for New Members
TC 50 Questions

TC Warning To Posters

Lida Mattman

DISEASE INFO - COINFECTIONS

Page 2.

Newbie's Lingo

Links for family members

Lyme Disease Audio Network
Dr B's Treatment Guidelines

Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines
CDC Website on Lyme Disease
International Lyme and Associated Disease Society
Lyme Symptoms
Lyme Disease Symptoms PDF

Lyme Disease Symptoms
Rashes
Tick Pictures Graphic
Tick Pictures

Co-IinfectionsThanx M
Symptoms & Associated Conditions

Rose's 15 Facts for Newcomers
Making the Most of Your LLMD Visit
Camp A and Camp B, The Lyme Disease Contoversy
2nd Version Camp A Camp B
Citations for Underreporting CDC

MP Controversy
MP 2
MP 3
MP 4

Why You Can't Trust Medical Journals Anymore
Something to share with friends and family members But You LOOK Good!

Labs
MDL
Igenex Labs
Bowen Lab
Bowen Lab Forms Protocol

Western Blot Info

FDA It is important that clinicians understand the limitations of these tests

Explaining Borreliosis (Lyme) Western Blot Tests
Explanation of Western Blot Bands
Igenex Labs on the Western Blot
Melissa Kaplan's Lyme Website Explains Western Blot
Dr. C Explains Western Blot
( No you don't always see a bite and if there's no bullseye the only way your going to be able to tell is (symptoms) and (((Maybe))) WB or lyme dot blot 3 day urine banged with abx's to free your antigens up for the test.
- = Not Present
+ = Low
++ = Medium
+++ = High
+/- = Equivocal = Indeterminate its there but not as intense as low) )

See this ( . )thats the size of the larva stage tick...
Next nymph size... ( * )
Next is adult ( o ) to ( 0 )
Pretty small????? HUH

Western Blot
Blood Brain Barrier

ABX `s Cross Blood Brain Barrier
Blood Tests Meanings

Blood Tests Meanings

Page 3.

Flagyl,= List of ****dazole's that I have found
Cyst's Treatment
ABX= Antibiotics
Antibiotics Poll
Abx's Poll
Flagyl" by Martin Atkinson Barr
Nitroimidazoles

Drug Interactions and Other Drug Info
Drug Digest & Interactions
Drug Interactions
American Medical Women's Association
Tiscali Reference Encyclopedia

Herxing
What Is a Herxheimer Reaction?
What Is Herxing?
The Herxheimer Reaction

Herxheimer Reaction Explained

Candidiasis

Quote Lida

Ilads

Yeast Problem Diet too
Oral Yeast
Oral Yeast
ZIPZIP Thanks

IntestinalFlora

Parasites
Put word Diarrhea in Search
Morgellons
Infestations
Lyme Parasite or Bacteria?

More Tick Disease
Infections by Bugs Ticks Mosquitos Lice Etc
Infectious Disease List

Coinfections 1

Coinfections 2

Bartonella Rash's

RMSF

RMSF Tree

RMSF Spotless=HME

Tularemia
Tularemia

Tularemia Rabbit Fever

Mycoplasmal Infections
Mycoplasmal CDC

Mycoplasma

Autoimmune Debate

Mycoplasma Treatments

Alzheimer's

Elderly Alzheimer's

ALS

Another Story

Lou Gerhrig's ALS

Lida M
Good Article ALS MS And More Etc
Good Article ALS
ALS
Lou G ALS
M S
MS
Danette MacDonald
I'm not giving up
ALSO trigger MS
Lyme a hidden danger
The saga continued
Tom Grier
Links

Lupus Lyme
Lupus Lyme Misdiagnosed
Lyme Disease Misdiagnosed as Fibromyalgia
Fibro Lyme

Lyme Misdiagnosed as other disease's
Lyme Disease Misdiagnosed As ...
CFS CFID
CFS CFID
CFS

Page 4.

Garlic Proper way to eat it
Garlic

Check Diet Link Atkins Diet

PORT-A-CATH (catherter)
Abx's Port

Prolotherapy

Transmission Lyme
Transmission Fleas Mosquito's Food Etc
Transmission Etc
Black Flies & Lyme
Transmission Art Doherty

Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content

Looks like like they killed this one hmm Blood Supply, Its back!

Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections

Good Site Canadian Lyme Disease Association
FDA on Lyme Testing

Legal Help
Lyme Literate Attorney's PA
PA

InsuranceLaws
Medical Records Privacy
Search Drs Background

Link1
Link2
Search Dr's Backgrounds link

Legal Help
Legal Help
Legal Help
Legal Help
Legal Help

MatthewGoss Site
GreatSite
MedicalDictionary

Cheryl's Site

MorphologySimplified

Tonsils crimson crescents

Killing Lymphocytes By Spirochetes

Wealth of Info

Support
USA Support

SupportGroups Canada
Canada SupportGroups
Associations, Foundations, and Support by Country

Marnies...... Ten Points Regarding Mg and Lyme Disease
In a Nutshell P1

In a Nutshell P2

Part1 Long over Due
Part2
Part3
Part4
Part5
Part6
Part7

Updated in a Nutshell
For My Friends

Canlyme MAG
Silver Discussions
Silver Treatments
Tom Grier on Silver
Grier

Articles By Tom Grier
NMDA Receptor Lyme Brain

Help Free
Help with Meds
Help! Free Meds
Vitamins you should Know
Tests Synonyms Guide
Lab Tests Looky
You can get your medical record for free once a year from the Medical information Bureau(MIB) if company participates
MIB

Melanie Reber

Coping with Financial Burdens

Blood Donor Info
Pain Info
Pain Info
German physicist March 1999 Interesting

Female Related Problems

Tin Cups Pregnancy & Lyme Update 5/24/05
Female Issues
Unplanned Pregnancy
Pregnancy
Pregnancy?
TC Link Pregnancy
Insurance
Insurance SS
Disability Help Minoucat Bunches of Goody's

Permethrin
How to apply Permethrin
How to apply Permethrin Pic
Permethrin Site
Discussion on Repellants
ALDF Four Poster Coup
Tick Testing
Tick Testing
Herbs
Herbs Be Careful
HerbsCancer Center

Psychiatric Lyme
Fallon & Tager Report
Duramater NeuroPsych Info Kids&Adults
Neurologic Lyme
Neurologic Lyme

Dirty Truth
Sporadic Schizophrenia
Psychiatric Manifestations
Columbia Lyme
Schizophrenia & Lyme Disease
Sunra links

Page 5.

Scans & How they Work

How Cat Scan Works

How PET Scan Works

How MRI Works

How XRAY Works

How UltraSound Works
Explains LD50 Chemicals Toxicities
MSDS SITE
Silver

Interested in what Trolls are?

3.Sorry to See it
4.Sorry to See it Happening

Success Stories
Success Stories
Chat
LD Chat Room Links
Spirochetes Pics Link
SPIROCHETES FORMS 1
SPIROCHETES FORMS 2
SPIROCHETES FORMS 3
SPIROCHETES FORMS 4
Conspiracy Theories
US Patent Pathogenic mycoplasma
CDC CITATIONS
Citations

A copy of this is stored in computer Help section.

Newbie Links
Post in the appropriate Forums
Tree's Flash

Updated 07/18/05

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BorreliBrain, I too had some initial success with abx and the things started going down hill fast. Waxed and waned for about 2 yrs and then I hit the wall.

Continued the abx routine and then after 3+ yrs, I decided there's got to be another way. Abx just was'nt going to cure me. In fact, my gut told me it was doing more damage.

Tried many different remedies, heparin, hormones, supplements. It just went on and on. Finally one day I was drawn to a thread about rife machines.

I have made lots of progress in 2 yrs. I'm not using the cured word yet because I continue to have symptoms. But my bad days are nothing compared to where I'd been.

Somethings that I've done the last 2 yrs:

Rife
Naturopath dr
Colonics
Lymph drainage
cranal-sacral therapy
Parasite cleanses
Detox, detox detox
Muscle testing chiro doc

There has been a couple times in that 2 yr period, that I thought I would try an abx again. Within 3 days I'd say no way am I going to go back to abx hell. That is what they do to me, so I completely understand you not wanting to go there anymore.

It can get better with alternative treatments. I'm not saying they are a quick fix either. The really bad thing about most of these treatments is they're not covered by insurance. I've paid some major $$$$ out of pocket. But it has been so worth it.

Of course I can say this now, because I'm on the other side of lyme hell.

You've really will need to think outside the box. Do lots of Gigi & skyking reading, it will get you thinking about different things.

This is a great book. http://www.lymebook.com

Fight back, you can win this war.

Take care, Pam

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 12 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi BB,
So sorry you are going through this. That's ok don't be sorry....what you are feeling is normal and what many of us have been through on our road to getting better.

I stayed away from here because after 6 months of abx I was 70% better.

I even wrote about how I knew I was going to be a success story when they were soliciting for those here. I still think I will be.

I had a relapse recently and my doctor thinks I have a co-infection that is treated with other things and not just antibiotics!!

The idea of co-infections is new yet new research is pouring in about how these are part of the problem in chronic lyme cases. Some of the chronic cases you see here are highly co-infected and have not recieved proper treatment for these infections.

I do not want to "live" on this board either!!!
If i had my way I would not be dealing with this anymore.
I was diagnosed about a year ago and have had this a long time.
This is a way to cope but people do get better when treating for everything. antibiotics are really rough the first few months. I was in really bad shape when starting treatment and thought it would never let up. It did.

You are going through the stage all of us went through...just don't miss the treatment and let it get worse...the fear is normal and also part of the neuro stuff with these TBD's

hang in there and come here when you need to
We are all in this together!!
Hugs for you!!
-pippy

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BB, how long do you think you've had Lyme?

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your post BB! And thanks for your response, Ruffy! I had thought that same thing myself. There is some "selection bias" here because if you're feeling GREAT, you're probably not hanging around message boards trying to figure out what tx to try next! I am only 2 weeks into abx tx and feeling very discouraged at the long road ahead (and thus visiting the message board looking for encouragement and new ideas....and FINDING THEM...so thanks everyone for that).

Thanks again for your post, and we can try to hang in there together!! Good luck!

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there BB! There are certain things you just can't rush. I remember once in high school, my brother cooked dinner or his girlfriend. He was running out of time, so decided to just cook the chicken at a higher temperature for a shorter period of time. You guessed it. The chicken was raw on the inside and burnt on the outside.

I have heard of some quick fixes and miracle cures for Lyme. But I am nervous to try them, because I can't help but think that they cost a lot of money and don't do much good. It's my body we are talking about, and I will put the time into making it better.

When I started treatment, I promised myself I would give it 1 year. You may think 1 year is so long, but honestly, it's nothing compared to the year before treatment when I couldn't use my hands.

At about 6 months, I started doubting the treatment. At about 7 months, things just turned around. I looked and felt healthier. It's now month 16 and I am still on abx, but hope to be off in 2 months.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends on how long you have had Lyme, whether you get well quickly. If it was caught within hours of the inital bite then maybe 6 months to a year of Abx.

But if you have been undiagnosed for months or years. It will take alot longer to get well.

I do believe you can get better on low doses if you have had LD undiagnosed for years. If you just get it, you can actually tolerate higher doses. (Just my opinion)

I certainly do not want me or my kids to be on abx for years but I have no choice. I actually feel very gratefull that I have an EXCELLENT LLMD who is willing to treat me for four years or longer, cause Lord knows I could Not get that kind of care in my own state.

Be gratefull you know what you have and you can get the treatment you need to get better. Some doctors are trying to stop that very thing.

Lisi

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeakdeSoul
Member # 7619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeakdeSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people have used alternative therapies to get better better if the drugs do not work. Here are success stories with rife machines:

http://info.lymebook.com/listings.htm

And here is a book about rife machines and other alternative treatments:

http://www.lymebook.com

Peak

Posts: 17 | From Bend, Oregon, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had hopeless, disabling Lyme for four years, then found out I also had babesia and bartonella. I've been on my current Lyme abx protocol for four months, and my babesia treatment for nine months. It's all mega-dose, so this isn't a recommendation or suggestion you should follow, it's just a list.

What I've found is that this protocol immediately reduced my symptoms of bart and babs. They still flare, but they are no longer disabling.

Unfortunately, the Lyme is not gone, but it did change. I started exercising about two months ago, and have been having many Lyme relapses. The relapses only come up, however, when I do a lot of stretching. It looks like Lyme has a successful ability to hide, and the stretching flushes them out.

Luckily, the abx I'm on right now are so strong, they knock out every relapse in 4-5 days. It feels like forever, but at least I can still get to work.

Liver support is absolutely, unequivocally required with this protocol. I take a supplement called Dr. Zhang's hepa formula 2, N-acetyl choline, and alpha lipoic acid.

Lyme: ketek 400mg/2x day
omnicef 300mg/2x day

You'll also want to add flagyl or tinidazole at some point, but they are too strong to take with this combination.

Bartonella: rifampin 150mg/2x day

Babesia: mepron 10ml/2x day
artemisinin 300mg/day
ketek

Yeast: nystatin
coptis extract
probiotics

Systemic inflammation: Celebrex 200mg/2x day
theanine

Supplements: phosphatidylcholine
omegas
chelated calcium/magnesium/zinc
multivitamins

Omnicef takes about a month to kick in at first, so if you try it, don't get too frustrated.

And I don't think megadosing is the key, so much as appropriate drug combination, and using the strongest versions or generations of each drug. Like ketek is the latest generation of zith, artemisinin is much stronger than malarone, both rocephin and omnicef are stronger than ceftin, and minocycline is stronger than doxycycline.

Whatever you decide--there's lots more choices out there--the jury is in that if you have babesia, you cannot recover from Lyme.

[This message has been edited by liz28 (edited 20 July 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dayle Ann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dayle Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, BorreliaBrain, I like that. Sure described me for a long time. I had Lyme almost 17 years undiagnosed, along with erlichiosis and bartonella. Were not a pretty sight. Life pretty well shot, and so was I.

Finally found a good LLMD, with help of folks on this board. I thought it'd be a few weeks on IV, too. Dr said better results with fewer complications on combo of orals. Ok, I'd rather drop pills than IV anyway, and I didn't have the money. Though I'd do it if it were the only option (and for some people it is).

I was so sick that we eased into abx slowly so I wouldn't herx too badly. Gradually worked up to the full combo. Also took a several Chinese herbs, which helped immensely with managing symptoms and herxes.

First round was 16 months. Took time for infection to do its damage and weasel into the recesses of my body; took time for abx to do their job too. Off ten months, then had a relapse, aggravated by stess (bought house), not as bad as before, but enough to know I needed to go back on abx. Ten more months, and I was doing so much better I couldn't beleive the difference. I am probably more active than most people my age.

Dr said that it is possible I could relapse again, but that each time I am treated, the time will be shorter, my immune system gets stronger and my functional level gets higher.

It worked: some things improved rapidly, some have taken longer. Abx gave my body chance to begin to heal on its own. I am doing professional level work again (I am a field scientist). I can hike mountain trails for miles and still cook a meal and tend to the house and animals when I get home. I not only read novels and technical articles, I write and it actually makes sense. I go out with friends. I go to conferences and the occasional concert.

I still have some things I have to deal with: hyperacusis is still an issue, but it is nowhere as bad as it was, and is still improving. Klonopin and earplugs helps with what is left.

Denial can keep you sick. When I was finally diagnosed, I determined I'd do whatever it took to get well. Can't say I'm cured, but I do consider myself "well". It was worth the effort, every pill, every herx, physical therapy to regain strength and function.

Got a great photo of me standing at the top of a mountain in hiking boots and a hard hat. Never thought that would happen again. Next is the kayak...

Dayle Ann

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am a success story. No, I am not cured. But my Lyme is under control. I have been on and off of meds for over 5 years.

I am able to live my life pain free. What more could I ask? I have a good Dr & I have family and friends who care.

Yes. I still take medicine, but I dont mind. I thank G-d for every pill I put into my mouth. There are people who would literally give everything they own to have the medicine that I am so fortunate to be able to consume.

It can be frustrating at time, but part of it is having realistic expectations.

I think for me as a former burn patient, really I am just grateful to be alive and pain free. All the rest is icing.

[This message has been edited by Kara Tyson (edited 21 July 2005).]

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm at work and can't write long, but want to run this by people. It may not be one we have an answer to.

I've been on the right abx for four months. My bartonella and babesia symptoms, while still around, are very mild and almost gone.

My Lyme was minor until three weeks ago, when I reached a point in jogging where you begin to experience something called the "training effect." It's the point where your body starts conditioning: your muscles build up, you aerobic capacity is increased.

Until this point, I was working seven days a week, and exercising, and was able to handle it. Suddenly, I've gone into a horrendous relapse of Lyme only. Even stranger, the abx are still working. They consistently kill every new generation of Lyme in four days. But suddenly, I'm getting hit with wave after wave of Lyme, and each new generation is not a little one, but as big as I had after the initial tick bite five years ago. I'm exhausted and feverish all the time, and am getting to work later and later because I can barely move.

So if these relapses are not related to stress (I was able to exercise and work), and oxygen is supposed to kill them, not make them stronger, and I'm almost rid of the co-infections, and I'm clearly on abx that work, what's going on?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyone's replies. I am still in a totaly fury about this. I just DO NOT want to take abx for years on end. NO NO NO NO. I've spent years trying to get my gut stable and fighting what I thought was "yeast" (before I knew I had Lyme).

What about taking Dr. Schardt's Diflucan cure? That's only 60 days or so. What about herbal stuff, like Cat's Claw... surely someone got better doing that stuff?

Grrrrr.

As for my own story - well, I don't know how long I've had Lyme, but scarily enough, we had a summer house on Long Island. When I was in 8th grade my knees used to swell up. The docs said I had "water on the knee" and gave me a brace to wear. I also had permanent sinusitis from that point on. I think that is ominous....

But I really got "sick" during a stressful time in college and haven't been well since. Mostly, insomnia, myoclonus, depression. So we're talking years and years (I'm in my late-30's now).

So that would mean, from what I am reading, with such a disseminated infection, that I would require years and years of abx to "knock it out" wouldn't I? At that point, maybe its just better not to treat at all and try and live with this?

I am freakin' out.

But thanks for your replies... I'm sorry to hear that some are relapsing even after long stints on abx. Something is wrong here. We need more research.

BB

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BB,

There really are just so many factors that influence beating this disease.

How long you have been infected, what strains you have, how many strains, co-infections, your age & other health problems.

It really just depends on the person. You can have a whole room of Lyme patients who are in all stages of this illness (in all time frames).

Some work full time, some can't work at all. Some use a cane, some can run like the wind. Some can't sleep, some sleep all the time.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement