LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 7 yr old daughter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 7 yr old daughter
pini
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1405

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not diagnosed until 2001 and I had my daughter in 1998. I know I was bit and had bull's eye rash in 1990 so I did have Lyme but I did not know it. Now she seems to get very upset over everything. She cries at least once to twice a day over things she never used to get upset about. She is not the happy go lucky girl she used to be. I do not know if it is a stage or possible Lyme. Does anyone have any children with Lyme and how do the act??
Thanks.

Posts: 260 | From Long Island, New York | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ivebinlymed2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebinlymed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pini, I am sorry to hear that your daughter hasn't been herself lately. Yes, my 10 year old daughter had terrible mood swings and still does when she is herxing from her abx.

I have said lately that it is as if she is not herself and then she snaps back into her happy self later. Have you tried talking with your daughter to see what she feels like when it happens?

For instance, I asked my daughter and found that she admitted to being out of control with what she says and how she acts. There hasn't been anything really dangerous happening, just lots of crying and emotion.

I hope this answers your question. I am sad if there is a chance that she has lyme, but I do think that it is better to address that issue sooner than later.

Take care and keep in touch.

[This message has been edited by ivebinlymed2 (edited 23 July 2005).]

Posts: 270 | From Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please get your daughter tested. I also have a 10 year old that has lyme. Your daughter actually sounds more like myself before treatment than my own child. My child has an even temperament almost all the time.

He does however have periods where he has difficulty focusing. With the help of his teacher I am able to track these periods now.

I know five other children from families with lyme and one in particular has had his physical ailments get better only to have his neurolyme become much worse.

His mother has told me that he has become much more "sensitive" to issues where his empathy for others seems to be blown way out of proportion.

His mother now restricts his exposure to the news as it makes him very emotional with sadness.

She has also told me that he does not seem to be the same happy child that she once had.

I am carefully watching for these symtoms in my own son who always seems happy. Not too long ago my son answered yes when the doctor asked him if he ever felt depressed. How does a 10 year old know what depressions is? I was shocked.

It is my belief that a lot of undiagnosed children go through severe depressions without their parents really understanding what is happening.

I hear on the news all the time about perfectly normal children doing crazy things that shock their parents and communtiy. I wonder now if those children have lyme.

If your child were mine I would find a lyme educated neuropsychologist as well as a very good lyme doc.

there are many people who post here that have children. Hopefully they will also offer you some advice of their own. Childrens lives are so precious. Its criminal to me that there are so many that suffer.

There is a very good childrens book on lyme written for children to read. My son and I read it together. I can't remember if I got it at the LDA sight or not. Perhaps another parent can post the link. I'll check the book and try to post later.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for all the mothers!
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes..
I agree you should get her thoroughly evaluated.

No harm can come from that..

and Doc J states often that mood disorders, irritability, resulting problems in school, hyperactivity, ect are all a common sign
in children.

I imagine, in the cases where it is not direct CNS involvement, it could just be a manifestation of feeling ill in other ways they can't express.

Either way, distinct change in demeanor could mean a child is ill with something.

You are leagues ahead to be this aware to be questioning what's going on..if there is a problem, much better to know now and get on with helping resolve it.

All the best..

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 6yo with probable congenital lyme and he had problems starting at 3 months of age. As he got older we had trouble with behavior. He also had severe yeast thorought his body that made him behave badly. Between the 2 he was miserable all of the time and had severe OCD issues and sensory issues similar to autism.

He got worse after routine vaccinations due to the load on his immune system.

We started treating him last Nov. and he is wonderful now most of the time. We are finally finding out what our son is truely like at 6.

My 11yo daughter also has lyme and she has mood swings based on how she feels. If she feels badly then she is weepy and sad and crabby. So its hard to say if its the lyme CAUSING the weepy-ness or the depression of being sick that causes it, or just that they are so tired they are miserable and prone to mood swings.

My son had severe rages at times that were linked to bartonella.

SO I guess to answer your question lyme and co- can cause this type of behavior and if you have any suspicions that she may be infected you should have her seen.

GOod luck,
pattiecakes

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticktox
Member # 6739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticktox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pini,
I have a seven year old with neurolyme and the instantaneous mood swings are one of her worst symptoms. The least little thing will set her off. She had ticks on both ears at 8 months and was undertreated by her pediatrician. At a year and a half, we started to see what we thought was early onset of terrible two's. She proceeded to turn the house upside down for the next two years with frequent tantrums.

Finally realized it was Lyme and LLMD put her on antibiotics and tantrums diminished greatly. After a couple of years of antibiotics and homeopathic treatment she seemed much better. This past year, she complained of her head "being crazy" and night terrors. She was put back on abx and things improved but we're still dealing with a lot of hair trigger mood swings and some complaints of fatigue.

I also have a 19 year old whose missed five years of school due to Lyme. As a result, I am very active in the Lyme community. The mood swings and behavior issues are common in the younger children with Lyme. Unfortunately, most pediatricians are clueless when it comes to Lyme. By the way, I am finding migraines a popular misdiagnosis among pediatricians and pediatric neurologists for kids suffering from Lyme.

I would get your daughter into a LLMD right away if I were you. Dr J would be a great choice if you can get there.

Good luck!

Posts: 57 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pini,

By all means have your daughter tested ASAP. As soon as my daughter turned up with

a positive WB test we had her little one that is 3 tested shortly afterward. I didn't waste anytime on that.

They are both being treated by Dr. H, and we are taking the 3 year old to see Dr. J in Sept. as Dr. H wants her to be seen by him.

She was the best baby in the world, NEVER cried never grouchy, then when she hit 11 months old this alien moved into her body.

She thew fits and laid on the floor and just cried and cried for no reason. It was very alarming. This quiet happy baby was NEVER happy.

It was such a drastic change it alarmed us all. Even though she had problems as an infant keeping food down, she did the projectile thing.

She would get fevers just out of the blue and we would take her in to the pediatrician and he would say, oh her ear is a bit red, lets treat her with Zithromax. This happened nearly every month. She was a good little baby.

She probably didn't get real bad with her Lyme symptoms as time went on because the Dr. was treating her for Lyme without even knowing it! Then we moved and the new doc didn't give her as many antibiotics.

She also had these weird rashes and we would take her in and the doc would treat her for what he said he thought it was......LOL, one time she was seem by 3 different doctors and we got 3 different diagnosis.

She has her rages sometimes and she is very emotional at times for things we don't understand. She is a very bright chid. I am soooo very thankful God gave me an

inquisitive mind that won't just accept what a duck says. I am also thankful that I had read enough to know she needed tested before that brightness started getting dim.

Had I accepted what they said, both my daughter and granddaughter would still be going untreated.

SO YES, definately get her tested ASAP. If you had untreated Lyme, there is a HUGE chance your daughter was born with it. If

she was, she has known nothing different all her life so she wouldn't be able to tell you if she feels bad or not.

These poor children don't even know that they don't feel good, since good isn't something they have ever experienced.

I am not a doctor, I am just passing on my personal experience.

Take care,

------------------
ICEY

IDAHO LYME SUPPORT GROUP
[email protected]

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement