LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » in the psych ward again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: in the psych ward again
momindeep
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my lyme rages post. My daughter could not hang on and is now in the psych ward. She is so sad, we are so sad. Thanks to people here, I am getting her checked and re-checked for Bartonella. She removed her pick line last night by herself, five weeks and one day into treatment. I think she is hanging by a thread and it is slipping through her fingers.
You are all great and I thank-you
Momindeep

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. We can all probably relate to what she's going thru at one point in our Lyme stages.

Just know your family is in my prayers. Please keep us updated about her recovery.

------------------
Debbie V.

Posts: 125 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please get her neurotransmitter levels checked...all of them...including the neurohormones too. This will provide PROOF.

There is an imbalance. Guaranteed.

It is a simple spit (sputum) test.

Neuroscience in Wisconsin can run the tests.

My son was "sad" too...VERY!!!!!!

It takes NURTIENTS to make the neurotransmitters...several... and enzymes to convert them to a VERY important neurohormone.

Lupin Ap4A hydrolase has particularly high sequence identity with the Ap4A hydrolase encoded by ialA, one of two genes associated with the ability of Bartonella bacilliformis to invade and survive as a parasite of human erythrocytes [4].

Lupin Ap4A hydrolase is also a magnesium-dependent enzyme.
http://www.biochemj.org/bj/357/0399/bj3570399.htm

These pathogens...bacteria, viruses, etc...are ALL parasites...they deplete NUTRIENTS...ours. If they deplete a MAJOR electrolyte...we are in trouble...very fast.

Restore the balance to heal. Not easy and it takes TIME.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be keeping you and your daughter (and your whole family) in my thoughts. Keep us updated on how she's doing!

Peace and healing,
Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

Lyme Disease Awareness Products

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was she ever seen by Dr. J?

I'm sorry to hear this. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pab:
Was she ever seen by Dr. J?

I'm sorry to hear this. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

As someone who has been in your daughter's exact situation, I emphasize with what your family is going through. But there is a positive side to things...I spent time in psych wards BEFORE being diagnosed..for a period of years, alternating between relative sanity out in the normal world and confinement or psychiatric treatment..in and out of psychosis and delusions...and while I have sometimes been driven to that point in the course of treatment including recently, the good thing about your daughter is you have an idea of what is going on and what can be done about things. Sometimes it takes weeks to months for treatment benefits to appear. And that process can be excruciating.
But with the right doctors and right treatment, I have faith that your daughter and family can pull through this very difficult situation and find a brighter future.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Mom....I'm so sorry that all of you have to go through this. I hope that she is getting the care that she needs most.

Remember to take care of you too....

I'm thinking of both of you..

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Marnie's suggestion.

Once your daughter gets home have her neurotransmitters tested.

Hubby had 4 psych admits prior to diagnosis and treatment of Lyme, babesia and bartonella.

He has been prescribed many different psychotropic meds and none of them helped with symptoms. Tremors/myoclonus/seizure-like episodes and nausea/vomiting/dry heaves continued despite these meds. He also had additional side-effects from the drugs on top of the symptoms he already had.

The worst episode was the psychiatrist who said that he didn't care how many neurologists my husband had been to he knew that hubby had Parkinson's.

This psychiatrist wanted to stop my husband's tremors in 3 days. He gave him a very high dose of Artane (an older anticholinergic for Parkinson's) plus 3 or 4 different psychotropic meds.

By the time this duck was through with him my hubby really did look like he had Parkinson's. He developed the classic shuffle step walk of a Parkinson's patient which he had never had before. This still comes back when he is the most symptomatic.

Find a doctor you can trust and get your daughter off the drugs she will be prescribed as soon as possible. Amino acids can be prescribed IV. They helped hubby some. He continues to take oral supplements as needed.

With his history of gastritis it was difficult to get things balanced. His physical symptoms are little improved but his mental attitude is 1000% better. It is a struggle every day but he is healing. The days of straight jackets are behind us I hope for good.

Hubby has been tested by 3 or 4 different labs but the one which gives the most comprehensive overall nutritional picture is Meta Metrix. The ION panel (Individual Optimal Nutrition) is worth the money. See http://www.metametrix.com

In our experience the doctors who know the most about nutrition are members of ACAM (American College for Advancement in Medicine) See http://www.acam.org click on Public then Find a Doctor

While treatment for Lyme and tick-borne co-infections are needed those treatments can actually worsen nutritional status and further deplete neurotransmitter levels.

You have to treat all these imbalances because there is frequently a domino effect where for example a deficiency in one nutrient can prevent 10 other things from working correctly.

For example, my husband's new primary care provider tests all her new patients for zinc deficiency with a taste test. She said that a low zinc level would keep vitamin B12 from crossing the blood-brain barrier. The blood level could be normal but without adequate zinc the B12 would be low in the cerebral spinal fluid and the brain which means it would be low in the nerves which is where it is really needed.

Sometimes psychotropic meds are necessary short term but long-term you must fix the supply side which is the amino acids (from protein) plus vitamins and minerals and fatty acids etc.

In my opinion you just can't get everything your body needs from food if it is already weakened from an illness plus there is the added stress to detox the drugs needed to treat the illness.

Just do whatever you have to do to get your daughter out of the psych ward as soon as possible. If they require you to schedule follow-up appointments do that and then if you can locate a nutritionally oriented doctor just cancel the psych appointment.

Don't stop psych meds without a doctor's approval as that can land you right back in the ER.

If you have not read it, read the article in Good Housekeeping magazine called "I Wouldn't Give Up on My Daughter". I think it was in the October 2003 issue. Hubby could really relate to this article on a Lyme patient as he had tried about 2/3rds of the meds she was prescribed.

Best wishes to you and your daughter

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mom,

My best wishes to your family as well.

As a mom myself, I have been in a similar position that you find yourself in now.

It was very difficult to have a loved one have to stay in one of those facilities. But, under the circumstances, it was in the best interest for the patient.

In our case it turned out to be a very good thing--though it was unbearable for us as a family at the time. A lot of good did come from the experience.

Hang in there. Know that we have your family in our hearts.

------------------
Tabby

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ivebinlymed2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebinlymed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prayers are with you for quickly getting to the bottom of the cause of this.

It is hard when you are under such stress, but as others have said, take care of you. That is one of the best things that you can do for your daughter right now.

Please keep us posted so we can learn of her progress.

Posts: 270 | From Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article is called, "I refused to give up on my daughter." Written by Lisa Collier Cool. Good Housekeeping magazine; October 2003, Vol. 237 Issue 4, page 117, 4 pages. My copy came from:
http://web10.epnet.com

Hope that helps.

Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe these people can help they deal with lyme and the mind.

Columbia-Lyme

How to Contact

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mom, sorry to hear about your daughter. Lyme rage is so frustrating and yet seems to be inherent to the disease. I have great sympathy for children and parents coping with adolesence & Lyme.

Perhaps you could inquire if her MDs could consult with Dr. J. or The Columbia folks to help them comprehend the neuro-psych components of the disease.

My PCP consulted with Columbia re: IV protocols and they were very helpful.

[This message has been edited by Foggy (edited 27 July 2005).]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to you & your family. But reading Bruce's post shows their is HOPE for a better outcome too.

Best wishes & keep posting.

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my heart is with you and your family.

My son did NOT test positive for bartonella. Luckily his llmd decided to treat him for it anyway with rifampin/bactrim.

It worked.

His lyme rages were aweful. (he is only 6) I was scared to death of them as he was so out of it angry. He has not had any since being treated for bart.

good luck to you and please keep us posted.
pattiecakes

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement