LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone tried the protocol in the new "Healing Lyme" book?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone tried the protocol in the new "Healing Lyme" book?
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Healing Lyme - Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and its Coinfections" by Stephen Harrod Buhner c. 2005

Just wondering what impressions are of this book. I have never heard of some of the supplements before.

Anyone who wants it, I ordered the book from walmart.com for under $15, shipping and all. Very cheap.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - great price on Walmart.com, wish I had known as I ordered it full price plus S&H last week.

That said, the book was pretty good overall. It drove me NUTS that there weren't references supporting each statement (like any good science book). There were a few statements that had ZERO supporting evidence that I am aware of and a few errors here and there, but overall, a noble job. Went into a bit of depth (and speculation in some cases, although not distinguished well from fact) on the science behind some of the problems and thus gave very detailed reasoning for his supplement/herbal selections.

I've read the whole thing. Some of the supplements/herbs recommended were pretty usual (e.g., hawthorne, L-carnitine for cardiac stuff). Others were totally new to me, THUS I am in the midst of doing additional research on some of the things he mentions in the "core protocol" such as resveratrol & smilax (aka sarsparilla).

Once I learn more about these supplements (and others mentioned on the section for neuro Bb), I may give a few of them a go.

[This message has been edited by duramater (edited 28 July 2005).]

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your opinion is about like mine. I have done a little research on the 3 core protocol supplements, but still reading up on them. I didn't have much trouble finding any of them, and the best prices are at www.vitacost.com.

I have been researching supplements for quite awhile, but had never even heard of the first 2 listed in the core protocol. The Cat's Claw I have taken, as well as Samento. So know that one will be OK.

Are you interested in comparing notes? I plan to start this in the near future, exactly as the book recommends, adding slowing to the highest doses of each. It will take a "cheat sheet" to keep up with it all. I decided I would start only with the core, then add from there once I am adjusted to the highest required dose of the core.

Interesting book, but there was lots of cross-referencing required to get it all down into a usable format. But now that I know just what to do, won't be too hard.

Good luck.

Anyone else read this yet?

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started the resveratrol(japanese knotweed) and am building up slowly. Haven't noticed any positive or negative effects, yet.

I had trouble fiding the green chiretta. Once I found and ordered it, I discovered it is coming from China. It still had not arrived after a month and when I called to question they gave me a tracking number. I called the post office and they said the tracking number doesn't exist.

So, does anyone know where to order the green chiretta(andrographis)?

I found the book very interesting, though. I always wondered why so many lyme patients have thick blood and it explained it. Well worth reading, especially if you like science. Hiker

Posts: 9011 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Hiker, I am using Planetary Formulas Full Spectrum Andrographis, 400 mg tabs. The specs are exactly what is called for in the protocol. That particular supplement did not have a recommendation for brand as the others did, so I researched it and found a good quality brand. I found it at vitacost.com. It says on the bottle that it is standardized to 10% andrographolides.

So hope I purchased the right thing. I know very little about this supplement.

I am on each of the 3 main protocol items 1 - 3 times a day as of today. So far so good, and no big reactions or anything.

Also still taking artemisinin, which I have taken for a long time for Babs.

I also ordered the Eleuthero tincture recommended for chronic fatigue, and will be interested in trying that when it arrives.

Hope everyone does well on this!

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ConnieMc and Hiker:

Any updates on your progress with these protocols? How are you doing with it?

Buhner's book is available at Amazon.com for $13.57.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This book is a must for me.Jim has been following this herbal protocal with good results.

Thanks for this post. [Smile]

dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm newly diagnosed and since it will be awhile before I could get in to a LLMD I started last week on Buhner's core protocol.

I'm on Source Natural Resveratrol (japanese knotwood) 4x/day, on Planetary Formula Andrographis 3x/day and Nutramedix Samento 2 drops/day (just cuz I had it already -- that seems to make me herx)

It could just be the normal cycling of the illness but I seem to have better energy and less headache -- time will tell.

I will be buying raintree's Cat's Claw capsules-- Buhner believes (and documents) that the TOA-free concerns are bogus. Raintree looks like a very reputable company.

A downside to Buhner's book is that he doesn't give his opinion on source of herbs for many of the herbs. He writes quite scientifically and provides many references at the end of the book.

Reading this forum I have to admit that I am a little leery of starting the antibiotics because of the side effects, the herxing. It is frustrating that there are so many opinions amongst so many different LLMD regarding the "right" antibiotics and doses to be on.

To tell you the truth, the bee venom therapy is most appealing to me -- the fact that it so dramatically inhibits Bb, and that it has been used for centuries attracts me. I wonder how it would be w/ herbs.

I would like to stay in touch with others doing Buhner's protocols. He's amenable to answering a couple emails I sent him. He gives his website at some point in his book. I will next ask him about using buld Resveratrol since it could get expensive to use the Source Natural product at high doses for months. Anyone using bulk polygonum (japanese knotwood/ resveratrol)?

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far you have mentioned Artemisinin,
Cat's Claw, Resveratrol, andrographis,
and Smilax.
I've been on these for 20 months now.

Other Chinese herbs that have activity against
Leptospirosis, a spirochete infection, that
can be treated with the above, are:
Isatis Leaf, Hu-chang, Forsythia, Gardenia,
Scute, phellodendron, and coptis.

Also have been taking these for 20 months,
and posting this information here for over
a year.

I haven't read Buhner's book, but it's good
that you folks are interested now.

You can get the resveratrol in grape seeds
and skins, and of course wine. Here's an
interesting link:

http://www.paulkvineyards.com/history.html

Blue Skies.............John

Posts: 134 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uma
Member # 7064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi.i am ordering the book.btw,does he mention anything on coilloidal silver?
Posts: 32 | From northern ca. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Bayliss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Folks:

I have been posting about Buhners book and Herbs for a little over a week now.

I have NEVER used herbs before, but since funds are a problem for me, so far, I have not been able to get tested for Lyme, nor afford the unreal prices for American antibiotics. I have written to one woman from Wisconsin who is on this list and it has cost her about $20,000 for all this in the past two years. UGH!!!

I started taking Cat's Claw, Devils Claw and Sarsaparilla Root, (Resveratrol), about 12 days ago. Had tremendous gas, and I have an illeostomy, and it blew the wafer off. SO the next day I just took Cats Claw and less gas. The next day I took one Sarsaparilla and less gas. So the next day I just took one Devils Claw and got sick to my stomache and quite a bit of gas. So that night I decided I wouldn't take IT anymore.

However the next morning, I woke up and I couldn't hardly believe my eyes. I could actually see clearly. It was like I gotten a new pair of glasses. My sight had deteriorated terribly the past year, and my head had been very foggy and painful the past three months. THAT was pretty much gone too. AND the terrible pain in the backs of my knees, (tendons), was almost all gone. ALL I could say was WOW!!! And kept thinking that all day, and decided I HAD to keep trying to take the Devils Claw. To get results like that after on two capsules, HOW could I not?

I had gotten these herbs out of New York, they had fast shipping. I had also ordered from Herbs-Wholesale out of Torrence, California, as they were cheaper and had some of the other herbs that Buhner recommends, but they are slow in shipping and it took 10 days longer to get them. BUT they have some of the brands, like Raintree and Source Naturals.
I am now taking the Cats Claw, Andrographis, Resveratrol, and Sarsaparilla, one pill, two times a day and only one a day of the Devils Claw. I STILL have NOT taken ANY antibiotics yet. MAY order some Tetracycline from a Pet online source OR United Pharmicies, which is really cheap but down in Australia, but I am not sure on their reliability.

ANYONE used them?

NOW to the good part. These herbs are like a miracle, so far. I feel almost like a NEW MAN. AND I am 64 years old. Last year I felt like about 63 years old, and this summer I felt like I turned 94 years old. NOW I fell like I was about 60 again.

I was bitten a little over 6 years ago, in October, but didn't see my doctor until March of 2000, when I couldn't hardly get up from this computer the pain was so bad. I do expect to have arthritus, as it runs in my mothers family, but not THIS BAD and THIS FAST, so knew that something had to be wrong.

I am a lonnnnng ways from being "cured". But what a feeling to be able to "SEE" again, and have just a fraction of the pain all over. What really gets to me, is Stephen Buhner, recommends Stephania Root for eyes, plus other things and I haven't even had that, but STILL this miraculous recovery of sight and "dull" feeling in my head. Plus most of the pain is gone from the knee tendons.

After studying his book for over three weeks now, I can't say enough about it. Boy am I glad I found out about it.

I WILL be heading towards his recommended protocol IF my stomache can handle it. BY the way the Sarsaparilla is good for cleansing the blood among other things, so HERXING shouldn't be such a problem.

Jim
###

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any updates?

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement