LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Advice on Tests, Natural Treatments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on Tests, Natural Treatments
pdivi
Member # 7690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdivi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed 14 months ago with the bullseye rash, fever, mental fog, lethargy. Doc. put me on ammox. for 4 weeks. Symptoms cleared in two weeks and I have been living symptom-free ever since.

But a couple of days ago, I may have started a relaspe. Mental fog, fever, night sweats. It's that darned mental fog that makes me think it's a relapse...it seems so familiar and unique.

As the symptoms are mild at this point, I don't want to jump right into massive quantities of antibiotics because I tend to get bad GI side effects. I see two short-term courses of action...
1. Test for Lyme to be sure I'm treating for the right thing before we bring out the heavy guns.
2. Treat herbally/naturally for a few weeks and monitor my symptoms.

On #1, what would you recommend for a test? I've heard the Bowen test is more reliable than others. Any idea of the cost?
On #2, any recommendations for natural treatments?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably would be best for you to try and find a lyme literate doctor within a reasonable travel distance. They can assess the situation better. I always believe getting the expert in on the situation as soon as possible is better than trying to do things maybe thru a family doc or on your own.

If you feel like it, I would recommend doing a search here - there is a lot of information from previous threads about different labs that test for lyme. No lab is perfect and a bloodtest is really only a very small part of the picture - lyme is a clinical diagnosis....

So if you need some help finding a lyme literate doc, click on the seeking a doc board here.
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeyLymePie
Member # 7434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeyLymePie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hope I don't start a flame war for this... but I, personally, am not a fan of the Bowen test at all... (just my opinion).

The Bowen test will find you positive - it finds just about everyone positive. I think they've only ever had two negatives at that lab, or something. (But that's just what I heard, mind, I could be wrong)

That test uses a silver stain to directly stain and photograph spirochetes in the blood - problem is, I dont think they have any way of distinguishing between different kinds of spirochetes. It might not be B. bergdorferi they're finding. (And yes, I know that Dr. Mattman was able to culture bergdorferi out of Bowen positive samples, but the whole thing is still sketchy)

Anyway, whatever is going on, to my mind, a test that finds everyone positive is just as useless as a test that has too many false negatives...

Problem is, in your situation, a Western Blot from IgeneX won't help much either, because it might be showing your old antibody response from your original Lyme exposure. Antibody responses can take from months to years to go away after the infection is gone.

I'd give up on testing (just IMHO) and go by your symptoms. If they start to get bad, you should treat again, either naturally or with ABX.

Good luck

Just my 2c.

Posts: 47 | From New York, NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Key Lime Pie

Interesting about Bowen, I've posted a couple of times asking about what technique they use. I thought it was a fluorescent antibody they used to tag the antigen. I phoned them and couldn't get an answer.

Do you know what they use for Babs or Ehrlichia?

It would seem that you are right about the silver stain not being specific for Bb. But what other spirochetes might be in the blood? Interesting. Also, since Bb is quite scarce in the blood, do they use a concentration technique? Or does everyone actually have spirochetes in the blood?

pdivi-If I were you I'd make a beeline to any doctor that will give you doxycycline now and then I'd get an appt with an LLMD ASAP and I'd stay on abx until seen by the LLMD. Just what I'd do, I am not a doctor and this is not medical advise.

Testing, hmmm... The IgM part of a Western Blot may be of some use to indicate an active infection. Maybe.

[This message has been edited by janet thomas (edited 28 July 2005).]

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdivi
Member # 7690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdivi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KeyLymePie, I read a little more on the Bowen test and I can see why you are concened about the false positives. Bummer. I was really hoping I could find some piece of science to cling to before putting my guts through torture.

...and seeing an LLMD at this point, given my very mild symptoms, would be just as inconclusive.

What are the dangers of simply waiting and monitoring symptoms? If the symptons don't progress, does that imply that the disease is not progressing either (i.e. the buggers aren't multiplying and invading new territory)?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to sit and wait and monitor your symptoms, that certainly is your perogative. If brain fog and night sweats don't bother you, then you certainly can just sit tight.

If you think this might be a relapse, don't you think it's better to attack it early on than wait for it to get worse? I would think that if this were a relapse, the problem could be dealt with naturally or with lower doses of abx than to wait until things get worse.....

People here have given you their opinions about bloodtests vs. symptoms. No bloodtest is conclusive...symptoms speak more about the disease.

I guess I don't understand why you would think that an appointment with a lyme literate physician would prove inconclusive. If you think your symptoms might be a signal to a relapse, what makes you think that a lyme literate doc wouldn't help you?

cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdivi
Member # 7690

cootiegirl, good point. There really is only upside in seeing a LLMD. As long as I advise them of my GI reactions to medication, it really is the best move.
KeyLymePie
Member # 7434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeyLymePie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by janet thomas:
Key Lime Pie

Interesting about Bowen, I've posted a couple of times asking about what technique they use. I thought it was a fluorescent antibody they used to tag the antigen. I phoned them and couldn't get an answer.

Do you know what they use for Babs or Ehrlichia?

It would seem that you are right about the silver stain not being specific for Bb. But what other spirochetes might be in the blood? Interesting. Also, since Bb is quite scarce in the blood, do they use a concentration technique? Or does everyone actually have spirochetes in the blood?

oops. You're quite right Janet - they do use a flourescent tag attached to an antibody for a spirochetal antigen. Its not clear if they use a silver stain at all. So I better amend my original post : )

The thing I'm not sure about is whether that antigen is specific for Bb or whether other bugs have it also.

The whole thing is so confusing. Whatever Bowen is seeing - they see them a lot. Bb is supposed to be quite rare in the blood stream, and yet these guys have no trouble picking it out of a few cc's a serum. They don't have any technique for concentrating the sera either - on the contrary - they dilute it!

Its weird. Maybe they'll be vindicated in their test one day - but in the meantime I remain puzzled and sceptical.

Don't know about Babs etc. I wish those guys would publish so I can read more about it.

Don't know if there are other keets in the blood - although I know keets are quite common in the gums and can easily be seen on gum scrapings! So there are probably many other keets running around.

But who knows? Maybe everyone really does have Bb these days - maybe its a modern plague - and maybe they're responsible for all human ills? Who knows?

Anyway, just voicing my thoughts. Its all confusing.

KLP

Posts: 47 | From New York, NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

pdivi
i thought that your concern about gi issues and abx is why the reluctance to see a doc. but i think that if you get in the care of a good doc, they will take that into consideration.

what you are experiencing my not even be a relapse but a continuation of lyme because the med dose may not have been enough to kill the bacteria - just stun in for a few months....
cootiegirl

[This message has been edited by cootiegirl (edited 28 July 2005).]

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the book "Healing Lyme - Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and its Coinfections" by Stephen Harrod Buhner c. 2005

There is another thread I posted asking others if they have tried these protocols. Keep a watch on this thread and it might be of some help to you.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son went on amoxi immediately for 5 weeks the day he removed a tick (1/9/05). He got a low grade fever - sore throat - extreme fatigue 3 months later.

I don't think the amoxi was the best drug and it does not seem like he was on meds long enough. He just had Igenex testing and sees an llmd in two weeks.

It is being tuned into the varied symptoms - having another son with chronic lyme - and finding this board that alerted me to pay attention to how he is not quite himself.

I agree...... go with the symptoms and see an llmd.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janet,

I believe one of the germs that causes gum disease is a spirochete and might show up in the blood. Hiker

Posts: 8911 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night sweats and brain fog are also major babesia symptoms. While you probably don't want to spend millions on supplements just yet, it doesn't cost much to buy some artemisinin and get started. Also, as you no doubt know from reading Lymenet, doxycycline and minocycline are standard acne medications, and people regularly get prescriptions for months at a time.

Another unfortunate Lymenet argument you may have read by now, however, is that your experience is shared by people who have both Lyme and babesia. What frequently happens is they are treated for mild Lyme, the symptoms go away, and then some trigger like stress or hormonal changes causes both diseases to come back with a vengeance. Although we have no proof of this theory at all, many feel that people with Lyme cannot recover unless they treat their babesia, and any other co-infections as well. This is what happened to me--I had incurable Lyme for over four years before I started babesia and bartonella treatment, and then there was sudden improvement.

Also, there's a big gun out there called ketek that is helping people quite a lot. You don't read about it as much as other medications, because the people who take it (generally in combination with other drugs) suddenly come to Lymenet a lot less than they used to. While there are no promises as to how it might affect you, it is something to consider before you go right to IV or something similarly heavy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement