LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » After Iv treatment on Rocephin or other abx Have you lost gallbladder??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: After Iv treatment on Rocephin or other abx Have you lost gallbladder??
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 2 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just doing a poll if thats okay.

Seems like a lot of people lose there gallbadder on here and I am wondering if its Iv's or Lyme?

[ 12. September 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korinne21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korinne21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeppers lol im getting mine out on monday because of rocephin,
I feel its worth it though because the rocephin works wonders on me

Posts: 102 | From henryville. PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I lost my GB in 2002 after 4 months of Rocephin, it was "full of stones" (that's what the ultrasound report said). And I have had gallbladder-like attacks (from sluding in my bile duct) when on Rocephin after getting my GB out, so for me just getting my GB out didn't make it possible to go back on Rocephin again.

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

Lyme Disease Awareness Products

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost my g.b. after starting tetracycline.
No problem on rocephin which came later, but the gallbladder was already removed.
I had a gallstone blocking my pancreatic duct.

My two daughters, sister, nieces, and mom also had g.b.removed. They don't take antibiotics.

I think it's possible you already have sludge or stones, and the herx brings it out!(My opinion only)

My surgeon did not think it was the antibiotics. Actually, he did ask if llmd thought it was lyme? Nobody knows as of yet!
Still lots more research to do!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost mine on January 1, 2003. Happy New Year! It was after 5 months of Rocephin.
Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 5 weeks of Rocephin beginning Jan. 2003. Was warned by Dr. P. that Rocephin can cause gallstones...much higher risk for small petite women.

I had weekly ultra sounds while one ... the 5th week, boom, got 4 stones even on the antigal.

After stoppping the rocephin, one month later ultrasound showed no gallstones.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gallbladder was removed back in 1999. No stones but it was inflamed and malfunctioning. No doubt it was due to lyme. Starting IV rocephin today.
Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nestle
Member # 878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nestle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on IV Roocephin for over 9 months and I never had gall bladder problems. My LLMD made we agree to ingesting 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 TBSP Olive Oil daily before he would write me a prescription for IV Rocephin.

I got used to the taste of the daily mixture.
It was rough in the beginning but if it was a way to save my gall bladder it was worth it!

Karen

Posts: 75 | From Cincinnati, OH, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for more reply's
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add Lymetoo to the gallbladder loss list, although I don't think she ever took rocephin.

Would be interesting to see how lyme patients compare to the regular population in the percentage of gallbladder loss.

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for weekend
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some gallbladder problems starting in the early '80s. (Which the doctor, I was seeing at the time, suggested drinking 6 glasses of papaya juice/day to straighten out. It did!) I do think this is when I first got sick from the lyme and company.

That said, I've done 2 courses of rocephin, one in 1993 and again in 2000. I was worried about it both times but it didn't make it any worse, in my case.

The nurse in my doctor's office is of the opinion that lyme patients often lose their gallbladders. I don't know if it's that much different for people without lyme. I'm the only person left in my family with a gallbladder.

[This message has been edited by trueblue (edited 29 July 2005).]

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in...

I lost my GB six weeks after starting IV Rocephin....had to have ERCP a week later from further sludging in the billiary tree.....

I don't miss it a bit...well worth it in trade for feeling much better.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not lose my gallbladder because I stopped the rocephin after the attack. Sludging problem then went away. Doc would not prescribe actigall, and dumped me anyway.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost my gallbladder too.

I'd gone through an eight week course of Rocephin with no GB sx, plus several oral abx.

On the second round of Rocephin, two months into it, I had my first GB attack. I was not taking actigall, but was taking apple cider vinegar and olive oil every day.

Unfortunately, in my case stopping the Rocephin did not stop the GB attacks. Over the next six weeks, I had five full blown attacks, and ultrasounds showed multiple stones. I kept putting off surgery in the hopes that the "stones" were actually sludging that would clear, but eventually I landed in the ER with a life threatening abdominal infection stemming from my diseased gall bladder.

The gall bladder came out, and in days I felt so much better, and was able to resume Rocephin.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
up for weekend
up for more responces

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hiker53:
Add Lymetoo to the gallbladder loss list, although I don't think she ever took rocephin.

Hey hiker....thanks for saving me all the typing!

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still got mine, no GB problems. 5 months of IV Rocephin.
Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Received IV Rocephin from 6/02 - 8/02. First gallbladder attack 9/02. Removal of gallbladder 10/02.
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up more for responces.

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had tick and rash in 1999 and was treated with 10 days of antibiotics then (hve no idea what I took).

I had to be rushed to the ER for emergency gall bladder removal in 2001; the nurse asked me if I was always that color: very yellow. It's the only time I ever stayed in the hospital.

No Lyme dx until last month.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had tick and rash in 1999 and was treated with 10 days of antibiotics then (hve no idea what I took).

I had to be rushed to the ER for emergency gall bladder removal in 2001; the nurse asked me if I was always that color: very yellow. It's the only time I ever stayed in the hospital.

No Lyme dx until last month.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynn Lymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynn Lymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear dtr had her gb out (severe attacks and full of stones) after 13 months of Rocephin.

***But*** that's when she started to ***finally*** (after years of unsuccefull treatment) show some positive steps of healing!!!!!!!!

Whether it was the Rocephin finally kicking in - or getting the gb out that was harboring all those nasty lyme bugs - or a combination - or whatever..... we are glad to be on that end of the problem!!!!

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ivebeentricked
Member # 6944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebeentricked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does taking rocephan 5 days on and 2 off reduce the chance of this happening???

I want nothing to do with anymore surgeries, I have never had a single good experience with them.

-C

Posts: 99 | From California | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up for polling.
Spotted pony
Member # 4963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spotted pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tree,
It seems clear to me that bb infects gallbladders. I have had Rocephin and did have sludging problems. I went on a totally fat free diet and my symptoms subsided.

I still have problems some times and then I return to my fat free diet. I have no idea if it really works, but the symptoms go away.

I notice that when I take abx holidays that my gallbladder symptoms return. My doctor says I should probably get it out. After all, why hang on to an infected organ...... but if I had my gallbladder out, what's next....the eyes???heart????

Just my 2 cents worth....

~~Spotted

Posts: 72 | From Loudoun county, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Angela Bachmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.....

Our daughter Lori's original ductor gave her Rocephin intravenousy for three months and, yes, her gall bladder had to be removed!

Angela

Posts: 572 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 mos of rocephin before my gall bladder came out in June of 05.

Cigi

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost my gb on Rocephin and it was well worth it to get what it gave me*)! A gb is nothing next to having real life again*)!
Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s. I didn't pulse or take ACTigall which is standard now!!!
Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ivebeentricked:
Does taking rocephan 5 days on and 2 off reduce the chance of this happening???

-C

IF I were on Rocephin [and I wouldn't be!] I would definitely be on Actigall.

Be sure your dr follows up the Roc with orals when you get off of it.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bad gallbladder on Rocephin, it took 3 months after I stopped it for it to return to normal. If you have stones, you should do a liver/gallbladder flush (http://www.curezone.com/cleanse/liver/) to get rid of them. Surgery should be your last resort. Sludging also seems to calm down over time. When on Rocephin, Actigall is commonly precribed to prevent gallbladder problems. Before you leap into surgery..check out ways to clean out your gallbladder and give it a chance to heal. http://www.curezone.com/cleanse/liver/cleansing_or_surgery.asp

------------------

WildCondor's Lymelinks

[This message has been edited by WildCondor (edited 11 August 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up for more comments
briteeyes30
Member # 7742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for briteeyes30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has been on rocephin since july 15th. He woke up this tuesday complaining of pain in his stomach near his ribs and it woke him up it hurt so bad. Dr. J requested he have a gall bladder ultr sound now and again in 30 days.

dr j has extended his rocephin another month. Austin woke me again this morning complaining of the same pain as he had on tuesday.

I did some reading on rocephin and the gall bladder and I am thinking that this is his problem. Any suggestions???

Posts: 78 | From Port Jervis, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on and off rocephin iv several times and clindamycin and have had several orals and IM abx's ...

My GB is still in tact....I have had pains under right ribcage....but I had them prior to abx treatments....zman

------------------

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up for responces
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just doing a poll if thats okay.
Seems like a lot of people lose there gallbadder on here and I am wondering if its Iv's or Lyme?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

[confused]

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to have mine out after 3 years of various orals. Ultrasound found stones.
Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Tree for bringing up this topic/poll. Anyone who reads - would you say you felt better after the gallbladder was removed?

I understand that surgery brings its own risks/complications but if it is also be a place where bb relax/hide - then ..........should you try to save it?

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an
invincible summer."
Albert Camus

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by valymemom:
Thanks, Tree for bringing up this topic/poll. Anyone who reads - would you say you felt better after the gallbladder was removed?

I understand that surgery brings its own risks/complications but if it is also be a place where bb relax/hide - then ..........should you try to save it?

It's been two months since my surgery. I had complications....a very serious infection....but am now able to eat fatty foods and not suffer. I've been celebrating by drinking tea again, too! Missed that! [Smile]

I promise not to overdo the caffeine though!

If the Bb can hide out in the GB [and that's probably true] then it's another good reason to be done with it. I tried as long as possible to put off the surgery....fearing a relapse of the Lyme.

I don't think that happened, but the resulting infection was scary. My energy levels are still below par, but I'm taking B-12 shots now and that's helped alot.

valyemom....I loved that quote! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Wow - I just finished reading - so many people who have had their gb's out.

I wanted to echo what Wild Condor said about the liver flushing. I have done this around 20 times over the course of the past few years and I think it is one of the most amazing things because it's a way to flush the stones and sludge out without having to do surgery.

http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/default.asp and it is the Hulda Clark protocol.

The stones and sludge are cleared from both the liver and the gall bladder. Actually, most stones are in the liver.

The only difficulty with this flush is that when we are immune compromised, sometimes it is harder for the body to produce enough bile, which is needed for the process of flushing.

I would recommend in this case a more gentle flush - a great one I use is the Dr. Schulze one (PhD not MD) at http://herbdoc.com/p34.asp .

With both flushes, stones come out painlessly. The Hulda Clark flush, though it takes only about 1 day, is quite an adventure and does involve several rounds of ...er....well let's just say stay near a toilet. [Smile]

I have had great success with both these flushes and gotten out a ton of both stones and, on occasion, parasites. You can even do these if you don't have a gallbladder it says. I was astounded at what came out.

I am actually doing a flush this Thursday, and scheduling a colonic right after, which is also recommended to get out anything that might remain and be trapped in the intestines.

Also, staying away from fatty food as someone mentioned is good, also getting to sleep before 10 pm every night (yeah, right! lol) is good because that's when the liver does it's major repairs for the day.

Cheers,

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bonk]

--------------------

Newbie Links

livinlyme
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for livinlyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I found I was infected by Bb.. which doesn't mean anything since I believe I have been infected since birth or beyond.. I had my GB taken out at age 39...nothing uncommon for "lymies" as I am finding out.,,, I had antibiotics for chronic illness(es) throughout my life but I did not loose my GB before I started ABX for the Lyme.. hope this helps... now to read the rest of the stories..
[Smile]

Okay mine was sludge fouled and functioning at 10%!

--------------------
"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Posts: 1389 | From who knows, who cares, but somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They wanted to take mine about two weeks ago.

did an ultrasound and found stones.

I haven't had the surgery yet.

I'm trying to flush them out...

If I have to have the surgery..I'll update this reply.

I was at 7 wk of I.v rocephin

--------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Posts: 251 | From East Greenville pa, usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement