LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Trying to get pregnant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trying to get pregnant
hopefulforcure
Member # 7699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopefulforcure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to pregnant (almost a year). Everyone in my family is very fertile. I haven't been able to get pregnant and am very worried that Lyme has prevented me. Has anyone with chronic neurological Lyme who is nearing 40 gotten pregnant??? If anyone couldn't do you know what the problem was?? Or what helped??
Wanting to be a mom!!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids are adults now but it took me almost a year to get pregnant.

Don't know if it was the lyme, but the second time around I thought I would start earlier because of that.

One month later, pregnant...with twins to boot! I had good pregnancies except my ninth month with the twins. I had a real bad case of the hives.

Again, don't know if it was the lyme or I was allergic to something.

What does your doc say?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the desire to get pregnant and be a parent can be very intense, and I know you can hear your biological clock ticking, but what is most important here is your health and the health of a baby.

Fertility is naturally going to decrease with age.I had my last at 37 and she took longer to conceive that the other two. Anxiety and anticipation also interfere with conception.

Are you currently being treated for your lyme disease? If so are you improving? If you ask 1000 people here about getting pregnant with lyme disease, you will probably get 1000 different answers.

This ultimately is a very personal decision, but it is one that has to be made with the head and not the heart. While it is wonderful to bring children into the world, it is a huge amount of work. Dealing with a chronic illness puts pressure on that. I have three kids and for the last three years have not been as available to them as a mom should be...it has been tough. My kids are school age, so I can't imagine dealing with a preganancy and an infant. Infants and toddlers are not easy to handle when you are totally healthy.

I would suggest that you do a search here and read up on some of the threads where members have discussed pregnancy and the concerns of being pregnant as a lyme patient. The disease can be transmitted to the baby in utero and thru breast milk. It is important to work with a lyme literate physician who will monitor your treatment should you decide to go thru with this while still sick.

Best of luck to you..
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recipegirl05
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6729

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Recipegirl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hopefulforcure,

Welcome to Lymenet.

I haven't posted in a long while, but your question caught my eye because I saw a health show this week discussing pregnancy and the hormone, natural progesterone.

Find a physician who really knows about natural hormones and ask them to test your level of progesterone. They'll probably test your testosterone, estrogen, thyroid, & DHEA levels, too & more.

Progesterone is the hormone which allows you to carry the baby. With a prescription, you can get natural progesterone at a compounding pharmacy & will have to pay cash. (Insurance won't cover----probably).

Don't know the percentage of Progesterone you would require. Health food stores do carry some hormone creams, but don't get stuck with wild yam cream. You need the real thing.

I'm not up-to-date on this, but the health food stores should carry the late, John R. Lee, MD's books about hormones. He was one of the first physicians to write about women's hormones.

You can also check your thyroid level by doing a home test called the Dr. Broda Barnes Thyroid Temperature Test. Most thyroid blood tests will not reveal if your body is absorbing thyroid hormone or not. I'll have to find the link on thyroid testing and post it for you.

Best Wishes,
Jan

Posts: 222 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recipegirl05
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Recipegirl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just click on the link to read more about thyroid testing:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/032550.html

[This message has been edited by Recipegirl05 (edited 29 July 2005).]

Posts: 222 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopefulforcure
Member # 7699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopefulforcure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks for your quick replies! I've been treated for over three years...and am still taking antibiotics. Been in therapy with psychologist for long time too and he sent me to a new psychiatrist who suggested hormonal testing and thyroid.
I've thought long and hard about my decision. I've decided that having a child is a selfish act...and after being ill i deserve to be selfish and puruse what i want. I am a teacher...so I KNOW how demanding children can be. Also know importance of taking antibiotics while pregnant. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...STAY HEALTHY

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1tick3victims
Member # 7445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1tick3victims     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is going to be a very different kind of response than you might be used to.

I recently was diagnosed with a bleeding/clotting disorder and when I started to research it I came across the lab that did my testing and read their info.

I don't think the whole story is there anymore, but what I learned was that their research was born from their studies of women like yourself who could not get pregnant. They kind of tripped over what they discovered regarding my clotting issues by looking at infertility.

My suggestion would be to go to their website and pick through it to find the story/research regarding infertility and see if that may be a posibility.

I wish you all the best with this.

------------------
best regards and blessings,
paisley

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just be blunt and say that I don't think it's fair to the baby to have it before an LLMD is certain it's long gone. That of course means testing to support the symptom free condition. The suffering that a baby with Lyme goes through is quite hard for me to even think about, and I just don't think people realize how bad it can be. If anyone with Lyme is thinking about having a baby, please go visit a baby with Lyme first.
Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kw3Ls
Unregistered

There are several possible causes that you are not pregnant (yet). There could be fertility problems or maybe you just need to be patient. It doesn't have to be related to Lyme.

As some already pointed out, it is not uncommon that it takes a while to get pregnant. One of the causes is that the egg only lives about 12 hours, and even when a sperm cell enters it, then still most eggs are lost because the melting together is very delicate. Even when that is successful the egg can still get lost because of errors.

It is very complex and delicate, it is a miracle!

1tick3victims
Member # 7445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1tick3victims     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
24bit,

I don't want to sound judgemental towards your reply..you are entitled, but having given birth to 2 lyme kids without knowing I had lyme, I can't imagine this world without these 2 amazing children. Who knows perhaps they will discover a cure for lyme or one of its side-kick co-infections because their lives have been altered by this disease.

I absolutely hate what my children are going through, however, I believe that most of us who have this disease develop and evolve to a greater degree because we have to. It's being more resiliant. A newfound spirituality for some, new values for others, and a new course and direction in life that may have more meaning for still others.

It's not alll bad. Do most of my days suck? Yes. To a certain degree. Everyday I live in unimaginable pain. But most people can't understand it when I say that I have a great life. They cock their head to the side as if to say, "but I don't understand?"

This is the direction my life took. But, I cherish every single day as though it is my last. I don't take things or people for granted.

I have a sense of peace throughout this experience and a spirituality now that I didn't have before I got sick. I have more purpose now than before I got sick.

This disease has given me my life. Before I became ill I took things for granted, was too cavelier about things, too centered on things that really didn't matter in my life. I cared too much about what others thought about me. Now I concentrate on the basics. Will I be able to walk, talk, eat and take care of my children today?

You might say that it is different because HOPEFULFORCURE knows that she has lyme. But there is a good chance that if she is on antibiotics she may not pass this on. I don't know what the statistics are. But since, this is a support group I don't think it's fair to put a guilt trip on her. Just scroll on by. What is the purpose of taking such a moral highground on such a difficult and extremely complex subject?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is hte purpose of taking such a high moral ground...? what the statistics are???even if they are 1% , you're goign to start a baby off with a chance of having hte life we all suffer with everyday?????????????????

because these children suffer and suffer bigtime!

my kids have suffered becase I didn't know I had it..my girlfriends suffer too, one died at age four of a heart condition due to lyme, two ohters have major health issues due to lyme, one ohter has learning problems..

thousands of other kids have major problems because parents bring them into this world knowingly with lyme...that is very selfish..and in my opinion mean.

hta'ts why she is high and moral...I don't blame her...of course you love your children after they are born..but you are making a move thaat are planning on them suffereing ...htat's selfish...

do a search on here and see all the women and all hte children they have had with problems from lyme, adn all the miscarriage, stillbirths, and others probllmes their kids have had and tell me it's still worth it..

and no, i won't remove this post.l..this is nuts htat someone would even consider this..in this day in age when we know so much...even on abx you are still taking a big risk..a risk with your child....unreal...

[This message has been edited by lla2 (edited 31 July 2005).]

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to yahoo and see if you can join the lyme pregnancy group. Those will be recent cases, probably of women who are getting treated. See what they have to say.

There is also a technical book, available in some hospital libraries, that you could read. Last edition has a chapter of 100 pages on lyme. See books in menu box left side of this page.

In addition, the Lyme Disease Foundation has a packet on lyme and pregnancy. Think there is a charge.

You owe it to yourself and baby to become fully informed.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kw3Ls
Unregistered

Maybe adoption is an option? Then you don't have to fear you give birth to a child with Lyme.

There are lot's of children in the world that would love to be adopted.

1tick3victims
Member # 7445

I find it hard to believe that anyone can try to tell another person how to live their life.

Whether or not she wants to conceive a child should be no business of ours. Whether or not she wants to conceive knowing the risk of transmitting lyme is none of our business.

One could argue that she made it our business because because she brought it up in such a public forum, but it still isn't.

She is asking HOW to conceive - not IF she should conceive.

It is selfish to tell her not to become a biological mother because of someone else's emotions regarding experiences they have had with lyme.

No one can predict what will happen with her conception, birth and delivery.

Can you honestly tell me that you would not have had your children had you known?

I agree that it may not seem fair to this unborn child we are discussing. This unborn child may have all the ailments that are listed within the discussions here. And then again, none.

Don't forget - I'm one of those mother's who follows those discussions. I am well aware of what the children are going through.

I just shleped my children across the country to see Dr. J. and then spent another 4 days doing neuropsych testing for the bargain price of $12,000.

Although I am in a wheelchair and bedridden most of the time and the trip was too much for me - I got my butt out of this bed to take care of my babies. There isn't a thing I wouldn't do for my children. They are my whole world. Of course I do not want to see them suffer. It breaks my heart at times. But I can't go over all of the "what ifs"

You can't put a price tag on the experience we have as a family - sick or not. How can anyone qauntify someone else's experience in life?

You don't even know if he/she would be sick?

You are projecting your own experiences onto her.

Are you trying to say that she would be better off without the unborn child? How do you know? How can anyone have all of the answers to her life? That is not fair. Again, why guillt her? It's not a moral issue that any of us belong near.

What about all of the children that are doing well? According to Dr. J. 2/3 of his patients are symptom free.

What if my children become symptom free?

Does that mean that they didn't deserve a shot at this lifetime because they had to suffer in their earlier years?

To use that logic...I've been suffering then for over 20 years, but it doesn't mean that I didn't deserve a shot to be here. My life has purpose and meaning. AND, my suffering has given my life much of its purpose and meaning.

I don't believe hopefulforcure is planning her child's suffering - that would seem to contradict what she is trying to do. Most mothers (who want to have children) it's out of an intense sense of love and nurturance they feel compelled to share with another human being.

Since you already have children, it's a bit unfair to judge. You don't know what it is like to be childless.

I'm sure that this year trying to get pregnant has been a painful experience for her. Why should anyone here feel it might be o.k. to compound her confusion over this topic by making such judgemental statements.

Again, she did not come here asking whether or not she should conceive. It's a no brainer. Those remarks do not belong on this post - that is mean.

When did this forum become the unborn lyme baby police?

Are you then saying that anyone who has lyme should not have children? Eventually that will be our entire population the way things are going.

If we were to stay with this argument and logic, couldn't one argue that it is irresponsible and thus immoral to allow a child to go out in their backyard to play amongst the ticks in the grass?

It is a ridiculous position to take here and I believe should be dropped. She came here looking for support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows, perhaps all the children born (or otherwise) will be the next generation of advocates.

lyme_suz
Unregistered

Hi,
I am following your posted questions and the responses and I am writing to encourage you.
You have an extremely difficult decision before you. I am sorry that it has to be so hard for you. These issues are on my mind as my kids were infected 5yrs ago so I am concerned for thier future as far as having children. It is probably disconcerting to see such intensely opposing opinions regarding pursuing pregnancy. Don't forget that this is an extremely emotional issue for we woman that have Lyme. For both sides of the debate have some merit. I pray you can sort through and work out what you need to do. At this pt., I want to protect my kids and future grandkids from frustration and pain..But I plan to be supportive of what they decide to do. On most days, I, too am hopeful for a cure. It shows character on your part to research this and ask advise. But not easy. God bless
Suz

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are risks.....a risk of giving birth to a sick child.....a risk of miscarriage...I've had a couple of miscarriages, I have had several years of infertility, which I also now know what has caused that (Lyme).

I also almost did not have the daughter I have now. I was 5 years into this illness when I had her. I did not know I had Lyme. I didn't know what my disease truly was.

I have a healthy child (so far), she is almost 10. So, there is a risk of a sick child, and a 'risk' of a healthy child, even with having Lyme (untreated) during pregnancy. So, although it is horrendous for some children (and their parents), some of us with this disease who unknowingly got pregnant and gave birth during the illness have had normal healthy kids.

It is a hard choice and a hard decision to make, IF you can get pregnant in the first place.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1tick3victims
Member # 7445

For those that believe one shouldn't conceive if they think/know they have lyme...

does that also mean that we shouldn't be having unprotected sex with our partners if we know/think we have lyme?

...doesn't it have the same kind of rationale?

does it belong here?

It becomes too complicated. Too complex. Too many variables. Too many unknowns.

How can ANYONE outside of the family circle (beside God) have answers to such extremely personal issues?

It gets too murky.

Hopefulcure,
Sorry your post became so heated. I hope that it doesn't turn you off or away from this forum.

I hope that you are able to become a mom soon. I send prayers your way. Becoming a new mother should be a pleasant and enjoyable experience. It should be one of the happiest times of your life.

Know that if you do become pregnant and happen to have a child with lyme - this is a place you can come for support. It will surely be confusing at times, but this is an invaluable resource for anyone with lyme.

take good care,
paisley

24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lla2, I 100% agree, and what you said is 100% reality.

It's not a matter of telling her how to live her life.....it's a matter of giving an opinion about a single important decision that involves another life that has no choice on being brought into the world with incredible suffering. Big difference.

Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I keep stubbing my toe on is this: trying to imagine myself explaining to a small sick child that yes I knew this might happen and did it anyway.

Not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you really should research this carefully before deciding, not just jump in and hope for the best.

I know of a woman in the area who was treated for lyme, thought she was in remission, had a child who turned out to be infected, had many health problems, and, last I heard, does not speak, although he does hear. She said she wished she had adopted instead.

Not saying this is what everyone should decide. Or that your child would be infected.

Another problem is that babies who fail to thrive and have lots of health problems are not always diagnosed correctly or treated. Even if it is known the mother had lyme. Congential lyme is still being denied by the medical establishment including the CDC, and so lots of doctors will refuse to diagnose congenital lyme or treat it. As you may know, there is really only one lyme pediatrician and he is up in years. What in the world are we going to do when he retires?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to say two things on this topic and then I'm going to butt out.

My LLMD has told me that it is safe to try now, too. There is a "small risk", but if I am being treated during the pregnancy it is a very small risk. - This is just what I've been told.

However, the other thing I would like to point out is something my dad had to work really hard to make me understand. EVERYONE has a small risk of having an ill child. Not just sick people. Does that mean no one should try? Our risk really isn't that much greater than someone who has never been sick a day in their life.

Just some thoughts. Like I said, I'll butt out now.

Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millymollymandy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for millymollymandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I would add my experiences to this debate. At the age of 39 I have decided not to have children. I have never had the energy that it requires to be a mother. A couple of times I have felt the urge to have children but it has never been such an overwhelming feeling to out way my common sense and my biological clock is definately not ticking! Probably because I have extremely low hormone levels anyhow. I enjoy watching my niece grow up and spending time with her but certainly don't feel that I'm missing out on having any of my own.
Posts: 229 | From United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SLCD,

How very well put.

My LLMD has not said to NOT ever try to get pregnant, but that if one gets pregnant the importance of taking abx during pregnancy.

And, it is right, 'healthy' people also give birth to sick children sometimes.

Sick people give birth to healthy children also (which is what I said above in my post above).

There is no black and white and definite yes or no answers.

In any case, Hopefulforcure, you seem to know what you are doing in terms of taking care of yourself, and antibiotics, etc. I have no recommendations on how one gets pregnant when it just isn't happening,because I simply don't know, but I do wish you luck anyway.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kw3Ls
Unregistered

Good points from your dad! I agree, when taking antibiotics there seems to be a very small risk, while there is always a small risk.

quote:
Originally posted by slcd:
I'm going to say two things on this topic and then I'm going to butt out.

My LLMD has told me that it is safe to try now, too. There is a "small risk", but if I am being treated during the pregnancy it is a very small risk. - This is just what I've been told.

However, the other thing I would like to point out is something my dad had to work really hard to make me understand. EVERYONE has a small risk of having an ill child. Not just sick people. Does that mean no one should try? Our risk really isn't that much greater than someone who has never been sick a day in their life.

Just some thoughts. Like I said, I'll butt out now.

lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, i love my children dearly, but had iknown AHEAD OF TIME

yes, i can 100% for sure say I would NOT PUT MY CHILDREN THROUGH WHAT THEY HAVE AND WILL GO THROUGH FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

and YES! yoU SHOULD never ever HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX IF YOU HAVE LYME!! YOU didn't know that one eihter???? OF COURSE you can pass it to your partner....

PERIOD.

[This message has been edited by lla2 (edited 31 July 2005).]

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kw3Ls
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by lla2:
yes, i love my children dearly, but had iknown AHEAD OF TIME

yes, i can 100% for sure say I would NOT PUT MY CHILDREN THROUGH WHAT THEY HAVE AND WILL GO THROUGH FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

Of course, that goes without saying. But the point is that no-one knows in advance if they will get a healthy child. If only we knew!

Since the risk is very small when taking antibiotics during pregnancy, IMO one has the right to get pregnant, because there always is a risk.

Adoption is a grateful alternative though.

1tick3victims
Member # 7445

I forgot to give you the name of the website I was referring to in my first response to your post.

"Through HEMEX research, we have developed several new assays and test systems as well as new medical theory regarding immune activation of the coagulation system (ISAC Model). This exciting research has produced 200+ ``Miracle Babies'' from women who had been previously infertile and success rates near 80% in infertility practices. This has led to several more publications, as well as new ideas about `Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' (CFIDS), `Fibromyalgia' (FM), `Osteonecrosis' and specific new testing for infertility, migraines, CFIDS, FM, arthritis and MS patients. Visit our web site www.hemex.com for information regarding CFIDS & FM testing using the ISAC Panel along with other technical information".

Refer to; HOPI SYNDROME THEORY
Hypercoagulability Of Pregnancy & Infertility
(Immune Activation of the Coagulation System)

I have included some of their info. because it seemed a bit difficult to find when I went to look for it. This in no way represents any kind of medical opinion. Since it has been so difficult for you to get pregnant, I just wanted to pass on the only information I have come across regarding infertility and lyme disease.

Best regards,
Paisley

1tick3victims
Member # 7445

IIa2,
"yes, i can 100% for sure say I would NOT PUT MY CHILDREN THROUGH WHAT THEY HAVE AND WILL GO THROUGH FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

and YES! yoU SHOULD never ever HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX IF YOU HAVE LYME!! YOU didn't know that one eihter???? OF COURSE you can pass it to your partner....

PERIOD."

I think that you might be getting your knickers twisted for things that are way beyond our control.

And, are not our concern.

I would hate for this woman NOT to fulfill her dream to have children because she came to this website adn was scared into that corner by your opinions.

Of course I have HEARD that one can pass it onto their partners, but there hasn't been a definitive answer on this one either. But do you honestly believe that your opinion on whether or not my partner and I choose to have protected sex should be your concern? Or should the decision be between two responsible, knowledgeable, consenting adults? Or should I take a poll and live my life according to its results?

If one were to follow your reasoning, and take it even one step further, everyone should have protected sex because everyone COULD have lyme or hiv or whatever else lurks?

And no one should have babies because one COULD have lyme disease and pass it on because, as I am sure you know - lyme disease tests haven't been known for their accuracy?
I don't think an llmd with all of his/her knowledge regarding lyme would consider making the kind of assertions and rules that are being made here on this post.

I am not telling her to do it and I am not telling her not to do it. Period.

lla2
Member # 2364

if you haven't read for sure it can be passed through semen and blood then you haven't read hte research...

i'm done with this conversation...I have a hard time staying calm when it comes to the possibility of harming children....

sorry.

janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Lyme. I would never have unprotected sex with anyone. For me that would be very wrong.

Straubinger has shown that Babesia is transmitted in utero in dogs. All 5 pups died.

Hopeforacure- Perhaps you would be willing to give us some of your Lyme history?

Maybe with longer or different treatment you could go into lyme "remission" and then try for a baby. Taking amoxicilin before and throughout pregnancy, of course.

Have you been evaluated for Babesia?

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Do you have to have symptoms of lyme when your pregnant? Can there be good pregnancies? I was always sick as a child myself,and had difficulty focusing as I do now.

I have adult children now, and don't know for sure if I had it while carrying them.

I get upset when any of my kids or my granddaughters get sick.

If I even mention lyme...they roll their eyes!

They don't understand that I'm trying to save them from going through hell!

It's very frustrating as a parent of adult kids, wondering if I did pass it on to them.

They have all gotten bit by ticks, but back then, we didn't know much about lyme disease.

I was told if you got infected during the first trimester that you could pass it to them.

I send them info. I've talked endlessly about it, but they just think I'm nuts!

So do most women have symptoms during pregnancy or can it be a good one?

24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

quote:
Originally posted by Kw3Ls:
Of course, that goes without saying. But the point is that no-one knows in advance if they will get a healthy child. If only we knew!

Since the risk is very small when taking antibiotics during pregnancy, IMO one has the right to get pregnant, because there always is a risk.

Adoption is a grateful alternative though.

Rationalizing this doesn't change the ugly reality.

Taking antibiotics during pregnancy does not reduce the risk to "very small". That's 100% nonsense. And comparing the normal very, very small risks that every woman has when having a child is like comparing the risk of getting struck by lightning vs. the risk of getting a cold in the winter. There's no comparison and these kind of rationalizations are just selfish at the core. Shame on anyone that puts their desires above the safety and health of a baby.

If you like high risk, high stakes gambling, come on out to Vegas and take your chances. At least no one will get physically hurt this way.

ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only information I can give on the getting pregnant part is that before we knew my daughter had Lyme she got married and

now has a 3 year old beautiful little girl. Did she get pregnant easily? YES, did she have a difficult pregnancy......YES, very. The OB GYN said the baby weighed about 7 lbs about a week before she gave birth. The baby was born full term and weighed only 5lbs 9 oz. The placenta was abnormally small.

My daughter tested positive for group B strep so she had to have an IV of antibiotics right before delivery so the baby would be protected.

The baby nearly died during the birthing process, but thankfully she pulled through. She had her first ear infection before she was a month old and one about every month there after. Never bad enough for tubes though. She has had problems

eating from the day she was born. My daughter's milk never came in enough to feed a baby, so she didn't nurse. That baby would smell the formula and gag..........a new born baby turning her head away from a bottle when she was obviously hungry???? We went through every

type of formula there was until we found one that she would at least take when she was VERY hungry. She was born with a problem with one of her eyes, we thought it was the group B strep. Now I think it was the Lyme.

She has always been a pill to feed, at 3 years old she only eats baby oatmeal with veggies or fruit mixed in it. She will take a nibble or two off of some types of food then she gags. She is supplimented with Pediasure and she loves Carrot juice.

This is what this child lives on. Thank God for pedisure and thank God she likes carrot juice. Did this little girl test positive for Lyme..........yes, and she still has to have her co infection test.

She was a VERY good baby, she never cried...was always happy and is very bright to this day. Hopefully we caught it in time. She has no other problems that we know of at this point. She has been on Zythromax since May and is doing well.

She will be going to see the Great Dr. J in Sept and he and Dr. H who went to study with him will treat her together. She just loves "her" Doctor H.

I wouldn't trade having her in my life for anything. Had we known that my daughter had Lyme and that she could possibly pass it on to her baby would she have not gotten pregnant......probably not. But she did and

that little girl is a blessing. She keeps my daughter going. Things happen for a reason. IF she didn't have that little one, I don't think I would still have my daugther.

She doesn't seem to be suffering at all, she is maybe one of the lucky ones? We don't know yet, since she was born maybe in pain, that is all she knows so how would she know any different?

It is a personal choice for this woman to make, why put more stress on her when she is already in a stressful situation? If you decide to have this baby, God bless that baby. I am sure it will be loved.

Good Luck and follow your heart and listen to your head.

ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only information I can give on the getting pregnant part is that before we knew my daughter had Lyme she got married and

now has a 3 year old beautiful little girl. Did she get pregnant easily? YES, did she have a difficult pregnancy......YES, very. The OB GYN said the baby weighed about 7 lbs about a week before she gave birth. The baby was born full term and weighed only 5lbs 9 oz. The placenta was abnormally small.

My daughter tested positive for group B strep so she had to have an IV of antibiotics right before delivery so the baby would be protected.

The baby nearly died during the birthing process, but thankfully she pulled through. She had her first ear infection before she was a month old and one about every month there after. Never bad enough for tubes though. She has had problems

eating from the day she was born. My daughter's milk never came in enough to feed a baby, so she didn't nurse. That baby would smell the formula and gag..........a new born baby turning her head away from a bottle when she was obviously hungry???? We went through every

type of formula there was until we found one that she would at least take when she was VERY hungry. She was born with a problem with one of her eyes, we thought it was the group B strep. Now I think it was the Lyme.

She has always been a pill to feed, at 3 years old she only eats baby oatmeal with veggies or fruit mixed in it. She will take a nibble or two off of some types of food then she gags. She is supplimented with Pediasure and she loves Carrot juice.

This is what this child lives on. Thank God for pedisure and thank God she likes carrot juice. Did this little girl test positive for Lyme..........yes, and she still has to have her co infection test.

She was a VERY good baby, she never cried...was always happy and is very bright to this day. Hopefully we caught it in time. She has no other problems that we know of at this point. She has been on Zythromax since May and is doing well.

She will be going to see the Great Dr. J in Sept and he and Dr. H who went to study with him will treat her together. She just loves "her" Doctor H.

I wouldn't trade having her in my life for anything. Had we known that my daughter had Lyme and that she could possibly pass it on to her baby would she have not gotten pregnant......probably not. But she did and

that little girl is a blessing. She keeps my daughter going. Things happen for a reason. IF she didn't have that little one, I don't think I would still have my daugther.

She doesn't seem to be suffering at all, she is maybe one of the lucky ones? We don't know yet, since she was born maybe in pain, that is all she knows so how would she know any different?

It is a personal choice for this woman to make, why put more stress on her when she is already in a stressful situation? If you decide to have this baby, God bless that baby. I am sure it will be loved.

Good Luck and follow your heart and listen to your head.

ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kw3Ls
Unregistered

Originally posted by 24bit:
quote:
Rationalizing this doesn't change the ugly reality.

Taking antibiotics during pregnancy does not reduce the risk to "very small". That's 100% nonsense.

What I have read, suggests the chance is (very) small. Of course it depends on several factors: when was the mother infected, how long is she taking antibiotics, etc.

Karen Forschner writes in her book: "Although data on this subject remain scarce, research demonstrates that a pregnant woman who becomes infected with Bb and does not receive prompt antibiotic treatment can transmit the bacteria through the bloodstream to her fetus, with potentially dire consequences. Rest assured, however: Pregnant women who do receive appropriate treatment generally do very nicely.

quote:
And comparing the normal very, very small risks that every woman has when having a child is like comparing the risk of getting struck by lightning vs. the risk of getting a cold in the winter.

IMO this comparison is out of proportion, because most people get a cold in the winter. Or do you think the risk even when taking antibiotics during pregnancy is really so big?

quote:
There's no comparison and these kind of rationalizations are just selfish at the core. Shame on anyone that puts their desires above the safety and health of a baby.

Yes, I'm selfish because I want children of my own, while I could adopt poor orphans. I'm selfish because I put money on a savings account, while that money could save several lifes in poor countries.

I respect your concern, but now I have a question to you: since it is very hard if not impossible to eradicate all Bb, and since there is no test to check this:

Should women who have ever been infected by a tick, never get pregnant?

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

I had a tickbite when I was about 4 months pregnant, and already sick with "CFS".......Stupidly, I thought antibiotics were the 'semen of satan' and refused them!!! How stupid is that!!

In any case, my point being, my daughter is fine despite the double whammy of me already being sick with (undiagnosed) Lyme,and a further bite during pregnancy.

My LLMD recommends AGAINST testing my daughter - I have asked and was concerned - unless she appears obviously ill, which she does not.

DLL

slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to point something out - not neccessarily on topic, but relating - I have not seen Hopefulforcure post since this. I really hope we did not scare her off by being so vehemenent in our opinions on this topic. She came to us looking for help on how to get pregnant. She did not ask us whether we thought she should. By being so opinionated did we scare her away when we may have been able to help someone?

I hope not.

Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content

Looks like like they killed this one hmm Blood Supply, Its back!

Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections

Female Related Problems

Tin Cups Pregnancy & Lyme Update 5/24/05
Female Issues
Unplanned Pregnancy
Pregnancy
Pregnancy?
TC Link Pregnancy

I would contact Dr J in conn hes delt with alot of pregnancies and children with lyme. Give you a better understanding of what to do.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopeful,

I also tried to get pregnant - for many years. It never worked.

I also had trouble with painful periods, my breasts started aching already two weeks before, I was aggressive, etc. All medical exams were normal, though, including the blood tests for my hormonal status. At that time, I didn't know I had Lyme.

In Internet I found information about natural progesterone. (Somebody else has mentioned this in this thread already.) I tried the wild yams cream and it helped my breast pain within 15 minutes. Also, my other problems improved. At that time, I didn't try anymore to get pregnant so I don't know if it would have worked.

What I want to say: the blood tests for hormones showed that everything was okay, but the Progesterone helped for my problems. So, I dare say, my hormones had NOT been okay.

Don't know if this is your problem, though.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopefulforcure
Member # 7699

Dear ALL,
I know I must be doing pretty well with my Lyme if I still hold the same position after all the feelings this has stirred up. Thanks for those who suspported me! I think you have wonderful life perspectives. Thanks for those who verse concern. To round out the entire debate and possibly boaden understanding...which I agree is not the issue--Not all can adopt for numerous reasons (and Lyme would probably be a factor in being allowed to adopt). All doctors I have consulted have said that antibiotic treatment through pregnancy has demonstrated healthy, lyme-free children. It is an awful disease--and chronic. I think it depends on what stage you are in with your lyme, when you decide to make new decisions about your life. This would not have been a thought during the PICC line hell-herx, loose your job and your savings time-period. I put this out there for those who are so sick they don't think they'll get better. I probably will never be where I was, but all life events don't allow you to got back--you just end up somewhere different. AND as we all know you from this illness, you NEVER know what might happen in the future...

lla2
Member # 2364

I can't imagine ANY dr. especially lllmd doctors, like dr. jones, saying that...but "we hear what we want to hear," as the saying goes...

I wish you the best, and will keep you in my prayers...

Lisa

BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

If you have Lyme, why in the world would you ever think of having a child when there is a high risk of the child suffering???

------------------
Rob

lla2
Member # 2364

read the posts from the poor woman on the front page of this medical section who is suffering so much because she fears she gave lyme to her daughter unknowingly....she's frantic....

and you have a choice????

lisa

Kw3Ls
Unregistered

Questions to all who say NO to pregnancy in this case:

since it is very hard if not impossible to eradicate all Bb, and since there is no test to check this:

Should women who have ever been infected by a tick, never get pregnant?

If you think in some cases it's okay to get pregnant, then please explain in which cases and why.

skrwolf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to bring this post back up, but I can't help but respond. Please see:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/034333.html

"Pregnancy and Lyme - update 2005"

Tincup did an awesome job of bringing us the latest pregnancy info from the experts.

Yes, Lyme can have horrible effects on the unborn child. Don't forget this as well:

Study of 66 women concluded:

"If the mother is kept on appropriate antibiotic therapy for the duration of the
pregnancy.... (IMPORTANT- Antibiotics should begin **BEFORE** conception and be continued until AFTER delivery), then no adverse fetal outcomes were reported that were related to Lyme disease.

No adverse effects for the baby from the antibiotic therapy."

I personally know of several women who have had healthy babies, in spite of having Lyme Disease (myself included). I think that the key is to TREAT - before, during, and after.

Please, instead of just posting opinions and spiteful remarks, post facts and info from the experts. Especially infomation pertinent to the poster's question. I have very strong feelings about this, as I was flamed a couple of years ago for asking a question related to the original poster's.

I have since delivered a wonderful, happy, healthy baby girl. If she tests positive down the road for Lyme, I wouldn't change my decision to have her in a heartbeat, neither would I have a problem telling her my decision and the small risk that we took. I hope that we as a family will bless her life just as much as she has blessed ours.

To the original poster, good luck to you in your decisions and health!

Shelly :-)

Posts: 292 | From UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has always been disease and epidemics--this is part of the human condition. We are one of the few generations that had a choice for giving birth or not.

My grandmothers lived through the 1918-1919 flu pandemic (when brothers wouldn't help brothers--my grandmother left food on her neighbors front porch and then ran away after knocking), then my parents lived through the polio scares. Mumps, measles, rubella--babies are always suseptible to disease. In East Tennessee they didn't name the babies the first year for fear they would die.

I have two wonderful boys who are my pride and joy. I didn't know I had Lyme when I got pregnant. Would I not have them had I know about the Lyme? Not on your life.

They are my everything--any time you bring a baby into this world there is the crap shot of what will happen. You just have to follow your heart and believe God has a plan. God has a different plan for all of us.

Just follow your heart.

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrwolf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Linda, for your post. I also believe that God has a plan for us, and the best that each of us can do is use the information that we have (our brains), our heart, and our faith to make the best decision for us and our families, whatever that may mean for you.

Shelly :-)

Posts: 292 | From UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement