LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » could i have it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: could i have it?
waterandoil5
Member # 7705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterandoil5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am 18 yrs old and wondering if i have lyme. the only tick i know of being in contact with was one attached to my ear when i was around age 11, so its been awhile.

here is what i deal with:

i constantly need to crack my joints, particurally in all my fingers due to stiffness, and to a less frequent extent, my toes. i also feel the need to crack my knee joints due to a tightness or stiffness in them somewhat frequently. i remember throughout the last couple of yrs having some pain in my knees; a memory of gym class with squats against a wall and having knee pain build up comes to mind. similar knee pain that builds up occurs if i squat and crouch and put pressure on my knees. i sometime have shoulder pain when i yawn (just listing things, dont know if they all relate).

also a lot of times when i speak to another person, i have trouble expressing what i am trying to say, not being able to come up with the right words and thus taking longer to respond and speech that can take a while to get to the point. in math class last yr, i sometimes needed to go over a concept frequently in order to fully understand it and not "blank out" when it came to tests. my voice is rather monotone as well.

doubt this is related, but recently with my ears, it now seem likes the outer flap at the front of the ear canal needs to be pushed out with my finger in order to relieve discomfort.

please help and tell me if this could be lyme possibly due to the tick back when i was 11. i'm scared that i might have and it and die early or be disabled for the majority of my life. would i be showing more symptoms if it was due to this since i'm now 18?

[This message has been edited by waterandoil5 (edited 31 July 2005).]

Posts: 3 | From md, usa | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot speak about the kinds of symptoms you've had because I haven't experienced them. I can tell you about the time that it took for me to have problems.

It took me about 18 years to have major problems because Lyme. After this, I pursued testing and was diagnosed with a positive Western Blot. Before this, I did have symptoms here and there, but nothing serious. So, I think it's very possible to have Lyme problems appear long after the bite.

Try not to worry. If anything, get tested & find an llmd. I hope someone will come along with more experience related to your symptoms to tell you more about that.

------------------
Bye for now,
SAK

[This message has been edited by SAK (edited 31 July 2005).]

Posts: 371 | From Up North | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
waterandoil5 -

Hi! I'm not going to tell you that you do or don't have Lyme Disease. I will tell you that if it is a concern - then you should get yourself to an LLMD (Lyme Literate Doctor) as soon as you can and they will run all the tests to find out if you have it or not. They can do blood tests and clinical evaluations.

I understand that you're scared. I got it in my early 20's. And the only tick I remembered having seen I was eight. I'm pretty sure I got bit by another one, though, and that's what it was from. So, you could have had a more recent tick bite that caused the problem, too.

However, you're not going to die. You just need to smile, say "I'm going to get through this, whatever it is", get to an LLMD and find out what you need to know. We're all hear for you!

Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi waterandoil,

Welcome

The thing is, if you do have Lyme, you are still young and will probably respond well to treatment.

Do you have any other symptoms other than joint symptoms and pain?

Do you have these symptoms all the time or do they seem to come and go in cycles?

You're best course of action would be to have a consultation with a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD).

See the link on the left of the screen "Lyme Disease Association, Inc." ? Click on that and you should find contact information. When you call the LDA they will try to find an LLMD as close to you as possible.

You can also post in the Seeking a Doctor section here at Lymenet. Have your thread topic say something like "Need LLMD near (put your state name)"

Here's some other links that may help answer some of your questions:

Treepatrol's Newbie Links, pg. 1

Tincup's links for new members

Dr. B's Treatment Guidelines Nov. 2002

ILADS Guidelines Summary

LymeNet Vocabulary

Try not to feel overwhelmed. There's a lot of info here. Please ask questions and let us know how we can help, okay?

------------------
Tabby

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can recommend a good llmd outside of Baltimore. Send me an email - if you would like more info.

I would definitely see an llmd. It is good that you have found this support group. Ask questions here and read.......

Learn all you can. We will help!

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firsttwin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firsttwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waterandoil5,

Hi there. I understand what you are going through. You have these things going on and don't know what it is and it is very scarey. Like slcd said, you are not going to die.

Take the others advice and look for a Lyme Literate Doctor. My family is all ill with Lyme and we travel all the way to NJ. We like our doctor very much. He is definitely in the know.

I am from Maryland also. I would be more than glad to talk if you want to. Just click on my e-mail icon above where you would make a post.

Good luck in your search for a doctor. If you e-mail me, I can give you some suggestions.

Just e-mail me and leave your number, if you would like to chat.

Take care.

Maria (first twin)

Posts: 164 | From Rising Sun, MD, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry you are scared and experiencing these symptoms. I hope you have parents that are able to help you with all of this.

When my daughter (now 24) was about 14 her knees started hurting her so bad she would cry with the pain. She was bit by a tick at

10, I am pretty sure that is the one that caused her problems as I have never seen ticks on any pets since that time. I am so impressed that you have figured the relationship of that tick to maybe having Lyme.

Have you had any other smyptoms, like flu type things, Headaches, nausea, pain in any of your other joints? I would get myself to a LLMD ASAP, no sense messing with it. This way you will know or be able to rule it out. DO NOT go to an Infectious Disease doctor or your Family doctor.

Take the advice of the previous posts here and learn what you can here and accept the help from the kind people that offer their information.

Good luck!!

------------------
ICEY

IDAHO LYME SUPPORT GROUP
[email protected]

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for water....or is it "air"??

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya waterandoil ~
I agree with what everyone else says...go to an LLMD and get checked out.

I have all the symptoms that you described and then some. (I'm not sure what is lyme and what isn't.)

The joint cracking and relieveing the pressure, I've been doing as long as I can remember. I do that squatting down to fix my knees that freaks everyone around me out.

I think I had multiple exposures and it took many years to get to a level that was unmanagable; which is when I put it together.

I think my body was fighting it somewhat sucessfully for about 10 or 12 years.

Oh, also, I have TMJ problems and the shoulder and ear stuff is related to the jaw.

Don't know if this helps but I wanted you to know you weren't alone in these symptoms.

(Personally, I've never seen a tick at all except in pictures.)

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey water...if you read these responses, please click on "Post Reply" so we'll know you saw the messages here.

Take care!

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterandoil5
Member # 7705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterandoil5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sry for the late response here. thanks. how do i get an llmd in DC?

also one of the first things google showed for LLMDs was: http://www.lymesite.com/llmd_controversy.htm which talks about some unsafe ones. whats the problem with going to a family doctor?

Posts: 3 | From md, usa | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by waterandoil5:
sry for the late response here. thanks. how do i get an llmd in DC?

also one of the first things google showed for LLMDs was: http://www.lymesite.com/llmd_controversy.htm which talks about some unsafe ones. whats the problem with going to a family doctor?

Hey there!! You can post over in Seeking a Doctor to find LLMD's in the DC area....though I'm not sure there are any in the immediate area...??

Most family drs will know very little about Lyme and the labs they use will most likely not pick up the Lyme in their testing.

then IF they do pick up the Lyme, the family dr may only prescribe half the dosage for half the recommended time. Then you're back to square one.

Cut to the chase and find a real LLMD.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement