LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herxheimer and minocycline w/ neuro Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herxheimer and minocycline w/ neuro Lyme
DEEJ
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone with CNS or neurological Lyme experienced a severe or pronounced Herxheimer reaction when they started minocycline? I have had Lyme (and, as it turns out from recent blood tests, babesia and mycoplasma) for 11 years and recently started minocycline, 100 mg x 2. My main symptoms have been neurological. Two days after starting the mino, I awoke with a few hours of nausea, which went away, followed, over the next few days, by a feeling that my tongue (which has been affected by the Lyme) had "seized up," along with increased shortness of breath. This was not an allergic reaction, because, at the same time as certain symptoms got worse, I felt increased energy, and my arms and legs, which have been weakend by Lyme, felt stronger and more "normal." Has anyone with neuro or CNS Lyme had a similar experience? I assume that, after 11 years, the Lyme is now in the cell wall deficient form and might be reacting to the mino. Thanks so much! You all are great. [email protected]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ms. Myoclonus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Myoclonus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I have mostly neuro symptoms: myoclonus (involuntary muscle jerking), walking like I'm drunk, brain fog, sound sensitivity, etc.

My first couple of weeks on mino. were difficult as I could barely walk upon waking in the mornings. Fortunately, things leveled out eventually, and I am having few problems on the mino. now.

Take care,
Ms. Myo

Posts: 122 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely!

I have severe nervous system lyme and mino nearly killed me even on 200 mgs every other day. Call your doctor and see if you can cut back (you are taking a big dose) or make sure you are detoxing as carefully as you can. When I herx I just sweat in a sauna, take long epsem salt, baking soda baths and coffee enemas; all safe ways to get rid of the toxins. YOur ph levels will be very acidic (due to toxins) so eat lots of green foods (vegetables) or supplements.
Mino is very hard on neuro lyme. Also watch and take care of yeast increase which will make you symptoms even worse.

Good news that you had some improvement, I had nothing that improved, just hit the deck with a thud.

Good luck
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not only killing lyme critters but the mycoplasma as well with the minocycline. And I agree that 100mg twice a day is a heavy dose to start with. Be careful and contact the doc. Mino herxes seem to be especially difficult and prolonged.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1707 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticktox
Member # 6739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticktox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline can be a difficult drug to take when you have neuro Lyme. My daughter, who has been on many strong abx regimens, herxed badly on mino. She started on a low dose(50mg) and still found it caused severe herx. When she went to 1oo mg it was even worse. She didn't like what it did to her head. It is supposed to be an effective abx for Lyme if you can tolerate it.

If it becomes intolerable try cutting your dose in half. My daughter did mino for four months but has found Ketek to be a more effective drug for her. But as we all know, its different for everyone. I wish you well in your battle with this horrible disease.

Posts: 57 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe neuro lyme and am on mino, but I take 100mg every other day (Marshall Protocol). I have found that the CNS symptoms will wax and wane (just as everything else). I have horrible muscle fasciculations, weakness, headaches, dizziness, vertigo, slurred speech. I also find that the CNS symptoms make sleep absolutely impossible so I have to dose up pretty heavily to get some rest (which seems to be crucial). My worst stuff passes in a few days it seems, and then will come back around again unfortunately. I am only in my second month of tx so hopefully sx will dissipate and be less frequent. Good luck!!
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am also on mino 100 X 2 daily for both severe neuro & cardiac symptoms. Yup, definitely can be rough in some ways at first, but I must say that relative to doxy which made me feel like not a single mitochondria was working in my body ("energy suction zone") the mino does not yield that particular reaction in me.

While I am still having some flares, I think the overall direction is in the improvement department. I hope mino works as well for you as I'm hoping, suspecting, and wishing it's working for me.

I'm getting ready to add zith into the mix...

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squeegee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squeegee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have neuro Lyme (as well as musculoskeletal) and have herxed quite bit since starting Minocin (300 mg./day). This seems to be a higher dosage than I see from other posts.

I was very dizzy for the first 2 weeks (med. side effect, not herx). Also nauseous which continues and is most likely a herx as I've had it all along -- just a bit worse on meds.

I've also had headaches and vertigo for the first time last night. The rest of the herxes are the musculoskeletal variety. Guess this is pretty effective stuff!

Posts: 105 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt dizzy and on day 4 of taking mino felt terrible. Then it got much better and I took it with no problems for 6 weeks.

Good luck.

Posts: 8992 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mino was very hard for me - the 1st four days were very bad - It was like a full nuero attack - balance issues - head issues - ears - throat - some one talk me to get some food and water and hide the car keys - they were right - but I also heard that it is very effctive if you can stick it out -
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement