LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gee -- Is sleep really necessary? Need HELP for my crazy-making INSOMNIA!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gee -- Is sleep really necessary? Need HELP for my crazy-making INSOMNIA!!!!!
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 11 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all --

I am coming to you without having any @#$%ing RESTORATIVE sleep for at least 2 weeks.

First of all, despite all the pills (Rx's and supplements) that I throw down my throat before bed...I still have a hard time going to sleep. Many of my meds (pain meds, muscle relaxers, anti-anxiety) say "WILL CAUSE DROWSINESS".

Oh, bull@#$%!!! Not anymore! I swear I could take 2 Norco (that's a more potent form of vicodin) & a couple of muscle relaxers and be alert enough to do...MATH! (with a calculator, of course.)

Anyway, when I FINALLY DO dose off -- my sleep is very ACTIVE. I'm either doing a lot
flying or levitating, or I'm doing karate kung fu kind of crap (no offense to any martial arts...I'm just so ticked becuase I'm sleep deprived, besides I don't know any martial arts because trying to learn made my bladder disease - IC - flare up and offer to torture me for all eternity.)

The point is: What sleep I do actually get to have is very active - I'm dreaming - I'm kicking some @$$, working through my anger & anxiety issues in my sleep, or shopping for a new fixer-upper home from HUD.

Just as an FYI - I'm still having my high resting pulse issues (and not really expecting that to go away on its own anytime soon since I've had tachycardia for over 2 years and no doc seems to give a rat's @$$)

Friday, I FINALLY got to talk to my LLMD on the phone to ask his medical 'permission' if it was OK to take a sleep medication that the chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia doc has prescribed, which was delivered to my door that very day.

LLMD says very sternly: "NO"! "YOU'RE FAR TOO SICK TO TAKE SUCH AN ADDICTIVE MEDICATION."

I sweetly asked, "Is it becuase you're afraid it will affect my T3 or tachycardia issues?" (Ok maybe I didn't say it real sweetly - but this is MY story...)

I think he said "NO" again -- just reiterating how sick I was, blah blah blah and then he said:
"Get the chronic fatigue doc to prescribe you something else for sleep. I know he's out of the country..."

(Chronic Fatigue doc won't be back until 8/15. Friday was 8/5.)

And so I waited for LLMD to step up to the plate and offer some other mircale sleep aide.

NO!!!!! NO, he did NOT! Instead he said, "OK, so I'll see you again in 2 weeks. Goodbye."

WHAT THE @#$% ?????

Now don't get me wrong, I generally LOVe my LLMD because he's in the process of saving my life....with that said, however, that doesn't mean that he doesn't thoroughly p*ss me off from time to time.

I just don't know what to do.

Last night I even took an OLD PRESCRIPTION SLEEPING PILL. Now you just take one guess as to whether that little pill helped me.

And then DESPITE my pain medication -- my pain even contributed to keeping me awake. And then of course, I started ITCHING like I must have a swarm of mosquitos under my bed...so I lied awake awhile wondering if I would now get West Nile and if because I'm so @#$% sick -- would it just do me in? '

I then got up and took a Benadryl. It helped make me sleepy - and I dosed off a bit - but it was that special anti-histamine NEUROTIC sleep - jerking awake every few minutes, tossing and turning.

I have ample melatonin at my house and am tempted to take it -- BUT since learing about the Western Fence Lizard and the connection between their production of melatonin & the fact that their blood can cleanse Bb infected ticks...I'm reluctant to take melatonin as I imagine (and have READ) that it is possible to cause kill off.

And what if the melatonin supplement caused TOO FAST OF A KILL-OFF....would the toxic build-up kill me off too? See my dilemma?

Can you people sense my DESPERATION?

So I am PLEADING for any advice.

Just know I will be FAXING my LLMD a carefully worded little note communicating my URGENCY to get some decent d*mned sleep!

And just wondering... Can someone drop dead from insomnia -- because there are moments that I think my body is just about to QUIT!

Also, has anyone ever gone into an ER and said
"I'm having a sleep emergency - Dr. Duck, can you help me out?"
(If not, I may resort to that out of sheer desperation... If so I will post it for your reading enjoyment.)

OK - this is too long and my fingers are even feeling the fatigue.

Thank you in advance for your input. I may be too tired to thank you later.

Wishing you many blessings, and sweet dreams for ME!

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobdavis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobdavis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sleeping for weeks on end is a big pain. I cannot sit down for a meeting because I fall to sleep, but sleeping at night is not easy at all! At times I have gotten so tired I would fall asleep standing up, like while singing at church.

Someone a while back suggested taking a Calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement before going to bed. I added that to the benadryl that I have been taking for decades (or else I wake up sneezing) and it seems to help. I was taking calcium (tums) before going to bed anyway.

Posts: 499 | From Western NY | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think valium family drugs are best for the encephalapothy/insomnia caused by lyme but they can be addictive. I was doing okay for years taking 1/3 capsule at about 4-5 a.m., thus getting some natural and some benzo-aided sleep, which is somewhat neuroprotective, BUT then for months I took more for various reasons and am now trying to wean back down and am very very tired.

So if you use them judiciously--but its easy to overuse them.

Rats die of strange immune disorders when sleep deprived. Their skin peels off and they get infections that can't be conquered with abx. So your LLMD should take it seriously.

I doubt melatonin kills lyme. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But it IS a hormonal stimulant so be careful.

Trytophan works in some but in others of us who are infected it degrades into kynurenin (sp?) and thats bad for us.

I would go with temezapem or klonipin or something like that when desperate. But try not to use it every night all night.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son could not get to sleep or stay asleep. He tried lots of prescription meds and nothing helped very much. If he takes Melatonin, he has sleep paralysis in the morning. Benedryl makes him very agitated.

My son is now taking Trazodone (100 mg) and it's working well for him.

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuck, I hear ya Doc! To get some sleep I take trazodone, flexeril, neurontin, melatonin, and if need be, Ambien. Since all the trauma of my hospitalization, I have been having trouble sleeping.

Even the Ambien added to the mix wasn't getting me much restful sleep. Tried a few samples of Lunesta and it worked well, but I had a hard time waking up....with ambien I can pop up wide awake.

Don't be afraid of the melatonin. I've been taking 9mg of melatonin for a year or so. I've tried cutting back to 6 mg and sometimes that works OK, sometimes it doesn't.

I would think once your thyroid situation improves, you'll be able to get more sleep. Let's HOPE so! I hope you will call your LLMD Monday and complain bigtime!

You can't get well if you can't sleep.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Doc, had sleep deprivation real bad! Took Ambien and it only kept me sleeping 21/2 hrs., and then I'd wake up.

I was told to take 1/2 ambien before bed, and when I wake up take the other 1/2 and see how it works.

It worked some, but not what you'd call a healthy sleep. The lack of sleep is what kept me from getting anywhere near better!

Remember, you need good sleep to help your immune system fight!

I now take ambie to get to sleep and temazepam to keep me asleep.

It's the best thing that has ever happened! Wake refreshed, more energy, and motivated!

When I herx the sleep might be a little disturbed, but nothing like before!

I hope that helps! I think we all know that late neuro and sleep problems are prevalent!
Not to mention the psychiatric issues!

So get you wise... some sleep and feel better and refreshed!
Good Luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Doc, my son had insomnia issues for months until we settled on amytriptiline, and ambien [1/2 pill]. The amy would get him a little groggy, and the ambien would knock him out. He was wired for about a 1/2 hour on the ambien, and then suddenly crashed.

I would agree to use it judiciously.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks ALL. I'm taking notes you can be sure.

So - anyone else out there with good insomnia tips - keep 'em coming.

I've got an arsenal of old prescriptions and supplements...and I'm not afraid to self-medicate if necessary.

And you can be sure my LLMD WILL be hearing from my miserable @$$ on Monday morning. I will most likely fax....and then CALL, CALL, CALL until I get some answers!

I am a desperate, CRANKY woman -- and I will be conveying that to him!

Thank you for sharing your insomnia stories with me. I shall think of you tonight.

Sweet Dreams to you all,

------------------

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is just my opinion, but your CFIDS doc is right and your LLMD is not paying attention. Sleep is the number one priority in getting better. But you know that.

For my son, who is very resistant to sleep meds, the answer was taking combinations of meds. That is what I would do if I were you.

If you are having pain, you will not sleep. So medicate for pain. Then add in the melatonin, but that takes for some people, weeks to a month to start working. But helps to reset your clock to fall asleep at night.

For my son we ended up using a combination of a benzo (Ativan 0.5mg) and an antihistamine (Phenergan 25mg). Benadryl did not work for him nor did Ambien or Sonata. But it took a lot of experimenting to find the right combo.

I used to worry about addiction, but after watching my son struggle so much with sleep I no longer worried. I just wanted to help him to sleep.

You are right, you need to pursue this until you find an answer.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doc
I hear you on the insomnia thing-
I get about 2 hours of tossing and
turning and sweating (sleep) a night.
Today I got to sleep about 4.30
and woke up at 7.04 --I am totally
soaked in sweat and very tired-

The insomnia is my worst symptom
at the moment--Not only am I sick
as hell-but I have to be awake threw
all of it--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you ever had a sleep study done to see if you have APNEA, where you stop breathing every hour?

I hadn't but it was suggested & I was dx with apnea & restless leg syndrome. Both studies showed 0 SLEEP LEVEL 4/delta! I'd been telling folks for 30 years I'd NOT gotten any sleep for restorative & healing my body.

Have a cpap machine, but the 2 masks I have are NOT comfortable at all so back to sleeping without it due to the extreme noise of it & my noise sensitivity problems due to lyme.....good luck!

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc,
About thirty years ago I was supposed to read a book for in-service training at my job at a psychiatric hospital. It was named Ego and Milieu. I swear, reading ONE PARAGRAPH would put me into an eight hour coma! Some books have that power.
Are you taking or allowed to take vitamin b. As soon as I slack off, I get early awakening insomnia. If I take a good dose and it goes away for a few days.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear you are having this problem. I truly know what this is like.

In search of answers for myself, I came across this web address recently: http://www.mercola.com/article/sleep.htm

I have not read the doctor's book, but have found some of his suggestions listed at this site helpful.

I hope this might be of some help to you. Also, my husband's suggestion to me has been to get sleep/rest break whenever I can. Thus, if I am able to work in an afternoon nap, I do. Then only getting four to five hours sleep each night does not seem so bad.

Best Wishes - Debbie/RI

Posts: 162 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millymollymandy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for millymollymandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say I know the feeling. I've been sleeping really bad for a while- usually not a problem for me, I can usually crash out for at least twelve hours and still feel like I need more. Recently I've been going to bed and then my brain goes into overdrive, and then the restless legs, itching & twitches start... Knock me out please!!!!!
Posts: 229 | From United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...bear with me...

This pathogen - via genetic research - shows it is "PFK dependent" (enzyme) AND uses Acetyl CoA.

That means...the brakes are off for glycolysis...this bug loves sugar and

this bug follows the cholesterol pathway...using the nutrients we need to make cholesterol...

But...

Acetyl CoA is used to make other things...such as acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. Oh oh.

When acetylcholine drops, so does serotonin (-> melatonin) and dopamine.

Okay...now looking at the above...this explains the development of several other diseases, yes?

Acetylcholine is implicated in Alzheimers. Dopamine in Parkinsons. MS in the destruction of the myelin sheath (insulation around the nerves, made from cholesterol). Diabetes is just plain tiring out the insulin producing cells to keep up with the constant high level of blood sugar. The list goes on...

But...getting back to your sleep problem:

"When the supply of serotonin is exhausted, the result is severe insomnia,and a reduction in NREM and consequently REM sleep."
http://www.vitaminusa.com/nutinabsleep.html

ALL the neurotransmitters and neurohormones need adequate NUTRIENTS for us to be able to MAKE them. If the nutrients aren't there...bye, bye neurotransmitters.

Acetylcholine is needed for good REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. This is the time we make many proteins. REM sleep is alternated with nonREM /NREM sleep which is when melatonin (from serotonin) kicks in...

Now...getting back to melatonin...and the Western Fence Lizard...

How does melatonin work...exactly? We can't take the amts. nec. (large) because it "inhibits the action of acetylcholine" (http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/cgi/content/abstract/69/1/1)...

But what if we could take other things that work the same way melatonin does?

There may yet be another path (besides several already discussed on this board)...

Go here:
http://www.nel.edu/pdf_w/23_2/NEL230202R03_Kvetnoy_rw.pdf

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so jazzed from lyme that I would never sleep one wink without help; everything I do is hyper (and sometimes OCD).

My doctor gives me Zanax because without it I would stay awake until I died.

With it, I relax and sleep for a decent amount of time.

Addictive probably.

Rehab is easy, lyme is hard.

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Marnie.

I trust that eventually, when my brain starts processing information again, I might just understand that.

I believe you're on the right path and I'm trying to navigate towards it, but I live in a HUGE Lyme-inflicted FOG!

So, if you don't mind -- you keep on 'hollerin' at us - reminding us of those big words that we might have once known, and I'll bet before long you won't be all alone on the path to good health.

As for you Lymelady - I'm with you, honey! If it meant I could get 'caught up' on sleep, I think I'd lie and say I was addicted to something - anything - and just check myself into "The Betty" and let my insurance pay for my 'vacation'. Maybe they'd let me do crafts.

FYI - I'm now on a beta-blocker which has FINALLY decreased my heart rate to a comforting 80-90'ish (resting) - so maybe that'll encourage the rest of my body to slow down just enough to sleep & restore itself. A gal can hope.

Thanks to you both for the intellectual stimulation, AND the fantasy!

------------------

BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey
I also have difficulty with sleep.
I take Sonata, Elavil and Atarax.

SO far that combo lets me sleep about 7 hrs, which is huge.

Adding Atarax has really helped.

Check out GABA also.

Good luck
Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5HTP to increase serotonin, GABA for dopamine.

CANNOT do these if you've already started taking the Rxs (antidepressants).

This bug loves sugar and eats cholesterol nutrients like there's no tomorrow.

This impacts many things...esp. the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine which in turn impacts serotonin and dopamine.

We need to put the brakes on both the sugar and cholesterol pathways SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Mg does this and is, IMO, the safest route to go.

Other treatments mentioned on this board work too.

Go to the link I provided and look for HOW melatonin works. (We can NOT/should NOT take the doses needed, but other things may help - a LOT).

What does melatonin, produced by the Western Fence Lizard, DO to destroy Bb in the ticks feeding it?

How does melatonin work? The answer is in the link above. Skim it (the pfd) and look for HOW melatonin works.

Once again...CANNOT take massive doses of melatonin! It inhibits acetylcholine and we NEED this neurotransmitter.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement