LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » siezure activity again...what helps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: siezure activity again...what helps?
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 11 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAd more siezure activity again this morning leaving me with tempoarary paralysis, and express aphasia... was able to do stair by afternoon, but still can't think and problem solve too well.

so I ask other who have been there, what has helped you? I am emotionally at wits end. feeling really sad and disconnected from life by this assault on my attempt for well-being.

I always keep wondering what I am doing wrong!

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this.

Tremors/myoclonus/seizure-like activity is one of hubby's most persistant and aggravating symptoms.

He has tried numerous seizure meds that really didn't help -- was on Depakote for about 2 years but discontinued due to liver toxicity issues.

His LLMD's say treat the problem and not the symptom -- he has Lyme, babesia and bartonella.

I have given him IV Ativan every day for over 2 years now through his PICC line. He has 3 - 5 episodes daily -- some require 1/2 mg IV Ativan and others require 1 1/2 mg. If it is a 2 mg day he can function but 3 or 4 mg days are pretty much nightmares.

He has problems with aphasia, but it usually clears up within 15 - 30 minutes of the IV Ativan.

Hubby has what I call transient quadriplegia -- this is when his muscles freeze up and he can't move or even speak. This also resolves with the IV Ativan, but it is pretty scarey when I am sleeping soundly and wake up and find him like this or I leave for an hour or two to do errands and come home and find him passed out on the bed unable to move or even call for help.

My theory is that brain inflammation from the Lyme and whatever neurotoxins it creates causes these episodes. He is always worse when we try new antibiotics and treatments.

If these symptoms are only present occasionally I would suggest you try some of the supplements hubby takes. Especially the COQ10 and essential fatty acids to start.

See the list I recently posted in answer to the Multiple Diseases question at
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/036654.html

Try to think about it and see if there may be some trigger for these episodes -- change in meds, hyperacusis (sound sensitivity -- ringing phone, knock on door etc), eating or drinking is a big one for hubby or just dropping off to sleep or just waking up.

Take care of yourself and hope to hear some good news from you soon.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi achey,

Oh boy. Those seizures are a real pain in the rear! I had really bad seizures early this spring. Topamax seemed to make them worse since they weren't caused by epilepsy. The temp. paralysis was very, very scary for me.

They are almost gone now. I just have one once in a while when I herx really bad or switch to another antibiotic.

Please do not think you are doing anything wrong!! You must have a lot of inflammation going on right now. Are you having other herx symptoms? Are you doing anything to detox?

My LLMD says that seizures are Lyme until proven otherwise. He also says that it is important to treat the problem and not the symptoms. Hang in there. If you are having a really bad herx can you call your LLMD and ask if you should back off the antibiotics for a while?

I wish I had the answers for you.

------------------

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bea and bigmama
thanks for your reply. I do take 1500mg coq10 per day and much epa/dha.

I don't know if I'm getting things good with detox. My brain has been pretty scambled lately and I can't remember too regularly. It feels like I don't know anything lately, and I should have an appt with a doc who would just pretend I'm a new lyme patient, and educated me abt everything I'm supposed to be doing.

I just restarted my meds after a 2 week detox break, and I'm still not ramped up to full concentration. In addition, LLMD's office said to stop mino for atleast 2 more weeks as they think as I was trying to ramp that back up, it may have caused this last bout of siezures.

Otherwise, I'm taking clinda iv 5 day/2xper, and zith iv 2days... been doing this protocal since april I think.

Take plenty of suppliment, and good abt taking them, mostly..get atleast one real dose per day, sometimes get all doses.

I don't know, I'm rambling... Just get so freaked out by siezure like stuff, and the function that I loose with it. Was up last night with severer low pelvic hip pain and leg cramps...and Saturday and sunday had been good. I hate the shifting and loss.

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somerset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear achey, I can relate, at my worst I would have a seizure 2-3 times a day. Doctors could not figure it out (all my EEG's were normal)What help me was researching on the web about seizures and being put on Tegretol 3 times a day(have to be careful not to over do,that can trigger off a seizure) Try not to let what people think ,like I did ,adults can be very cruel with there thoughts/commemts untill I got so sick, I didn't care what others thought, "we're stronger then we think" "Peace be with you achey", Robin
Posts: 139 | From Panama City, FL., USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Achey,

I can't imagine hubby trying to take 3 antibiotics at once. The most he has ever taken is 2 at a time and then not for very long. And he very rarely takes the recommended doses -- just can't tolerate the high doses.

I hope you take time to read the post/link listing hubby's supplements. Sometimes a combination of things is better than high doses of 1 or 2 things.

Don't know, but it could be you are taking too high of a dose of COQ10 -- you can have a blood or urine test done for lipid peroxides. I think even Quest labs or Lab Corp can do this. Lipid peroxides is the measure of the breakdown of fat (your brain is 50% fat) caused by free radicals. Test will tell you if you are getting enough antioxidants.

MetaMetrix can specifically test your COQ10 levels and they also do the lipid peroxide test.

Hope you can figure this out.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was at my worst, seizures every day,
I did methylcobaline B12 shots 3 x a week
and also did a shot of magnesium chloride
1x a week. This helped to stem them,
and I am also on Klonopin.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Achey,

Seizures are a pain! I take keppra and klonopin for mine. I notice I get more when I am tired or when I am in crowded noisy places. But I am much better with the keppra and klonopin! I used to walk down the hall and just fall down or sit and dinner and jerk. Not pleasant. Have you tried keppra and klonopin? Hiker

Posts: 8878 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks all for your replies. Bea I read the list of things you husband is doing...I'm doing all the same except for the 2 herbs, but I am also taking kaprex for inflammation, and have switched from an occasionall use to regular use today, hoping this will aid with the begininnig of the inflamation cascade.

I have taken benzatropine for tremor, but felt like it shut too much functioning of my body down while quieting the tremors.

I took klonipin some years ago..2 pills and then flushed it, it wasn't for me!

I definitely do better with herbs suppliments and homeopathy and IMT. I will be planning to order that new lyme book in the next few days.

Today was salvagable, and I hope tomorrow will be better. Thanks all!

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Achey!
I'm so sorry you've having to go through this; I'm in the middle of a herx myself, and all day, I've felt awful.

Like you, I think the ups and downs are really difficult.

About a month ago, I had an incident of paralysis that started with an electrical current sort of feeling in my hands. That feeling spread over my whole body, and then I realized I couldn't move.

I could think and speak but I couldn't move. That's the first time I've ever had to be taken downstairs via stretcher and taken to the emergency room. It took about 4 hours for the paralysis to leave. During that time, the ER doc talked with my LLMD, and I was given two doses of Ativan.

The ER doctor termed this a "neurological episode."

I saw my LLMD Tuesday for the first time since that happened, and I asked her about it. Honestly, she said there's so much they don't yet know about Lyme Disease...so many things still to try and understand.

A day at a time, I guess. I certainly hope you feel better tomorrow; my thoughts will be with you.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Achey,

Jonathan Bleiweiss,M.D.(r.i.p.), himself having one or more TBDs, in his essay entitled,"When To Suspect Lyme," mentioned the term 'Pseudoseizures,' due to neuritis.

so, this is an avenue of investigation you might follow, as it would make a difference in the meds prescribed.

this is NOT to imply that you are NOT having true seizures.

On another note:

IMO,SPECULATION on CONTRIBUTING factors to seizures:

With lyme dis., and perhaps other TBDS, certain vitamins and minerals have the paradoxical effect of inducing, and/or worsening signs and symptoms.

these are: vit. C, B2,B6 which in lyme, have been implicated in causing a rise in levels of quinolinic acid, a natural neurotoxin.

vit. B3(not niacinamide) and Magnesium temporally cause a reduction in production of quinolinic acid.

i vaguely recall that zinc may be problematic, but i haven't had the time to track down the statement of an adverse effect of zinc w/rt lyme.

Personally, i've had these paradoxical effects.

months ago, when i took a calcium supplement containing a two-part Ca-to-one-part-Mg. ratio, i experienced what was either a seizure or pseudo-seizure. it was NOT severe. it was a truncal shudder involving head and, as best i recall one arm.
when i stopped the supplement, i did NOT have this recurr.

when i took the calcium supp. with a greater amount of magnesium sulfate(epsom's salt), the seizure-like truncal shudder did not occur.

i attribute this to a mag. deficit, fueled by the calcium intake.

this is my own interpretation, short of $10,000 of testing to "get at the bottom..."

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Unroasted Almonds...handful a day for serotonin
-5-HTP- or Tryptophan
-Melatonin
-MEGA Magnesium Glycinate

ALL of these help me when I have recurrences.

Trout

------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
Iowa Lyme Disease Assoc.
www.ildf.info

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseBunty
Member # 6559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseBunty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Achy I am sorry to hear about the seizures I went through that with my son for 5 years off and on, it got worse as time went on and no one seem to give me answers then I had a woderful doctor who thought it might be Lyme did the Bowen test what a real blessing it was to find an answer, we did cat's claw ,liquid silver, doxycline, probiotics at this time he is on nothing and he is doing well, we may put him on something again,but he never knew when it would hit him, he not be able to talk , seem like he was off in space, then he would throw up and come out of it and have a bad headache,and want to sleep, it was a hard time for me; we tried all kinds of doctors they had no answers, good luck, I hope you find the right way to treat it,
Posts: 43 | From Hanover Pa USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement