LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GOING TO WORK WITH LYME

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GOING TO WORK WITH LYME
HECE99
Member # 6749

Icon 8 posted      Profile for HECE99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just curious to know how many of you still continue to work and have lyme?

I work full time (with numbers in accounting) and it is a real struggle. Most co-workers don't know. Others that do know don't care. I force myself because of insurance reasons only.

I was just wondering how many of you have worked and continue to go on with this.

I feel like I used to be fast, smart and on top of things. Now I am slow, dumb and making silly mistakes. There are days when I stare at the computer and have no idea what I am doing. I am surprised I have not been canned.

ANYONE ELSE WORKING AND FEELING AWFUL WHEN WE SHOULD BE RESTING AND GETTING BETTER?

IS YOUR BOSS UNDERSTANDING OR A REAL HORSES A** LIKE MINE?

Posts: 17 | From MACEDONIA, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too work full time in accounting. Understand exactly how you feel.

I have been sick for 33 years and my co-workers would be shocked to know this. I hide it very well.

I worked part time for most of those years and have been full time for about 15. It is unbelievable how I feel most days especially the last 4 years. I really crashed about then.

I don't see the need in telling anyone because as you say those who know don't really care and will assume any mistake is because of your illness.

No one can possibly understand, so I just let them assume I am fine. Have never mentioned it to my boss. I try to schedule dr.'s appts. on days I am off.

Hope you get well soon.

------------------

Posts: 74 | From MS | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two bosses I deal with are pretty understanding. Working some days was extremely hard just to get up and get to work then working was a real JOB whoa I hurt, herxed, sick in stomach,confused,dazed, ached,depressed you name it I did felt it.

I thank God I had the inside job during most of this.

I could not have coped with what I had been doing pryor to the full onset of joint pain I could barely walk and forget thinking geez.

Its very hard and I feel for you. Hang in there and pray alot it helps.

Yep working with lyme su*ked

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 10 August 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too feel like a working has-been. I work in scientific software, and cannot do a fraction of what I could do before I got sick. Math just isn't an option any more.

A couple of things have worked in my favor:

- I have understanding management, who knew what I could do before I got sick.

- A coworker also has lyme, and we've both somehow ended up in team-lead positions that let us deal more with people and logistics ( skills we have not lost), and less with technical details.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HECE99
Member # 6749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HECE99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS EVERYONE FOR RESPONDING!

IT'S SO NICE TO KNOW THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

Posts: 17 | From MACEDONIA, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. We feel your pain!

I work full time too, with neuro Lyme. I am a paralegal in a criminal defense trial firm (i.e., "the business of emergencies"). It is a small firm, 8-10 employees. Everyone "knows" and is supportive. Everyone cried when I got my CDC positive Western blot back, confirming I did NOT have MS!!!!

I am in third month of treatment..things are slowly getting better. The first two months were pretty rough. I have not missed any work but there have been many days where I fell asleep in staff meetings (even once in Court!), could not follow phone conversations, forget multi-tasking, and co-workers shield me from responsibility for important dates or things I might forget, with grave consequence. Some days head hurt so bad lights off in office, phone ringer off, secretaries asked to speak softly.

My boss, despite being a slave driver, is also a saint, and told me to take off whatever time I need. Guilt-ridden, I said, "I feel that I am NOT producing at my usual level, feel retarded, plodding, am burdening others who are already overburdened and am feeling horribly guilty and will take a leave if you think I should until I am doing better."

He said, "I would rather have you here operating at 50% capacity than anyone else I have operating at 100%, so long as you feel you can be here."

I'm so sorry your boss is a jerk and you have to hide having Lyme disease. No one should have to, but I'm sure you are the best judge of what their reaction would be. Best of luck in your recovery.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme for all of my working life, most of the time undiagnosed. And I work in numbers too. I'm a researcher and do a lot of budget analysis and payroll analysis.

Most of the people I work with know. Before my diagnosis, I had hand and wrist pain that I thought was a repetitive stress injury. The pain got so bad I lost the use of my hands for a period of time, and had to use voice recognition software. I obviously couldn't hide that from my employer.

So I kept them updated with every changing diagnosis until the Lyme. Now, my boss at the time I was diagnosed has a chronic illness, so she was definitely understanding. I told other co-workers because they kept asking if I was better since I no longer wore wrist braces.

As far as resting and getting better, I believe that many people can only get better when they stay active to a certain degree. I think keeping our minds active is a crucial part to our treatment.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a writer and writing coach, and I've been pretty upfront about what's been going on with me.

Over the past 4 months, I've had to give up one really wonderful and lucrative contract; I just couldn't be on my feet for as long as it was going to take.

I haven't tried to hide it from the kids I work with or from their parents. I'm mostly involved with middle schoolers, and they'd be insulted if I tried to bluff them. There are some days I have to cancel at the last minute. So far, people have been really understanding, but of course, my income is a tenth of what it used to be.

I have also been honest with the publisher who hired me. I've already missed one deadline and fallen short in an assignment (a professional first for me). I'm always scared he's going to lose his patience.

Hard stuff.

After reading posts on this board for the past few months, it's amazing to me how well most people seem to soldier through this disease.

Hope your work goes well.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HECE99
Member # 6749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HECE99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again! It's great to hear that we can still try to maintain our sanity and try to live a normal life like we used to.

I think that by trying to focus on work related issues, it keeps our minds in check so we don't ever stop fighting or forgeting who we are. (or what we used to be).

This is very encouraging.
WE DON'T HAVE TO LIVE WITH LYME....LYME MUST LIVE WITH US!

KEEP TAKING YOUR MEDS EVERYONE AND LET'S GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this post.

I should be at work right now but I am having another bad herx and can't get to work.

The folks I work with are wonderful, but there is a limit to how many days I can be out and still get paid for. Naturally.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably shouldnt answer this post but will give you another perspective hoping it will make getting thru your day easir.

I havnt been able to work for 3 years and havnt been able to read a book for over 6 year. I miss both terribly.

Just ordering the cheap detox patches took 4 days and many emails cuz I just couldnt comprehend what all I was suppose to do to get paypal to pay those people. I hate being stupid!!! Its the worst symptom

Id be happy to be able to do the most meanial job so perhaps hearing how much worse you could be might make your awful boss not look so bad to deal with.

I hope your day goes smooth and well and the boss gets some empathy.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HECE99:

Oh it has been very challenging. I also must work for family insurance. Many mornings I literally, dragged my feet through to front door as a temp and finally got fulltime.

You do have to hide it from some as they don't understand and it's not the place to share this type of info with co-workers. Others will be compassionate as they have gone through similar things or the exact same. You can talk a little more openly about it.

I found my herxing at work to be early morning, during my drive and up until around 11a.m. Horrible shakes, uneasy, nauseous, foggy and fearful. I'd talk it through with someone familiar or call the nurse at the llmd's office.

You WILL make it!

Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly what you are talking about. I am doing much better now, but had many days working in finace and my brain was sooo foggy and I would get confused and totally forget what I was doing and how to do it.

I am fortunate enough now to not have to work full time. I am only working a few days a week. Alowing time with my family and other volunteering I would like to do at school and church.

I did about 4-5 months of abx and am much better along with my girls too. Not sure if we still have it or not, but it is not active right now!

Best to you and yours!
Amanda

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The firt job I didn't understand why I was canned. Second job I got a diagnosis and the boss was a real PRICK. Canned me before I could be protected by FMLA. Big government contractor sitting in $1k chair sucking on the government tit. &$*(*%&

Now, I work in a t-shirt factory. If I got canned tomorrow I wouldn't take it personal--I'm slow, stupid, and mispelled Tennessee (no one caught it). I hate that my work use to be the very best and now I struggle just to keep this meger job.

Such is Lyme.

Hang in there.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millymollymandy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for millymollymandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up until three years ago I worked for someone else and had problems getting to work on time etc, so tired all the time. Long story... I left, or rather, was pushed out. I decided to start selling on Ebay and am now self employed. I can choose my hours to suit which is perfect. The down side is that if I have a bad week, I don't get paid. And if things get really bad and I can't work at all I won't get a penny from the state... here in the UK if you are self employed and you can't work it's just tough....Sickens me when I see teenagers just having kids so that they don't have to work and get a free house!
Posts: 229 | From United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work 3 days a week as a physical therapist. Luckly I see patients in the outpatient clinic which means I can sit or kneel down for almost all of my treatments. It is wearing out my knees. It is still very hard to do on the bad days. I have learned to compensate. I let the patient do all the talking when I don't feel well and I don't really listen to the chatter. People love to talk. I just focus on the next thing I need to do and walk around like an 80 year old. It has gotten out that I have lyme and now I treat alot of lyme patients or caregivers of lyme patients. They just want someone who understands. It means alot to them that a lyme patient can work part-time. It gives them hope. Almost everyday I get a phone call from a new lyme patient.
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement