LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heart palpatations anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heart palpatations anyone?
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I recently ( tuesday) had my PICC line placed and had very bad heart palpitations that same day.

I've had them before, but these were worse.
I ended up in the ER that night, and the next day I had a Holter moniter placed on me for 24 hrs.
Still waiting for the results.

My question is, What could this be?
I know it's a Lyme symptom, but could this be something serious?
Anybody else have this?

P.S. They checked the placement of the Picc, and it's fine.

------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Posts: 251 | From East Greenville pa, usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which med are you on? You could be herxing, but that was awfully quick!

I have heart palps which first showed up [at least that's when it became a major problem] when I was herxing on clindamycin/quinine.

I had all the usual heart tests. I have MVP with regurgitation. I don't know if that is what causes the palps or not, but I think it IS responsible for my tachycardia.

Your dr may want to run an echocardiogram to make sure everything it OK. When they did the holter monitor on me, it was "normal."

Hope you feel better SOON!!!

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post..woops!

[This message has been edited by Kimmi_K_75 (edited 12 August 2005).]

Posts: 251 | From East Greenville pa, usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lymetoo!

How are YOU feeling?

I've been on I.v. Rocephin for two weeks and one day.
I haven't really noticed anything major yet. I was reading not to expect anything till my fourth week ( can't remember where I read that).
I will definitely ask to get more tests done if the holter comes back negative.
( it probably will)
I have to get to the bottom of this.
sometimes it takes the wind right out of me!

------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kimmi_K_75:
Hi lymetoo!

How are YOU feeling?

I finally managed to post an update over in General Support. Thanks for asking. I'm a tad better each day.

You could be herxing...yepper.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Gosh, I hope it is!

Do I have anything to worry about you think?

Could it get worse? Hear of anyone having a heart attack while herxing?

------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kimmi,

Sorry to hear about the tachycardia. I know how fun (frightening) it is. My resting pulse was anywhere from 120 to 160 BPM on/off for the past 3 years prior to treating lyme.

Anyway, just wondering if you're having a cardiac herx, as I've had them before. When I was hospitalized for meningitis last December I developed and sustained high BP 190/140 and tachycardia for a week. I know without a doubt it was due to a herx from the IV rocephin but the docs transferred me to the cardiac unit. They never did find anything except for a 'benign' arrthymia that mysteriously disappeared.

Another thought is yeast. If I eat too many carbs my heart will start racing within minutes.

Hope the tachycardia slows down soon and it's 'just' a herx.

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimmi....don't panic just yet. But if you begin having chest pain...then go back to the ER.

Do you have one of those BP machines so you can check your BP and heart rate? I keep a close check on mine.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

johnnyb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could just be a herx, but I agree..... get the echo done too, just in case.

Feel better,

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy D
Member # 7750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a PICC placed 2 weeks ago and had the same problem when I curled up on my left side (line is placed through my left arm) - heart pounding and felt like I had a huge lump in my throat. This went away when I repositioned myself and stretched out my left arm. I'm an RN and use to work with center lines all the time in newborns and so recognized what was happening was that the tip of the catheter had slipped forward (when I shortend the distance by curling up) and was irritating the myocardium (heart muscle) causing the arrthymthia. I had my line pulled back 4 cm (by a nurse friend who puts in PICC lines) and the problem disappeared. I'd suggest you go back to the place where they put the line in and have them reposition it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kimmi_K_75:
Hey guys,

I recently ( tuesday) had my PICC line placed and had very bad heart palpitations that same day.

I've had them before, but these were worse.
I ended up in the ER that night, and the next day I had a Holter moniter placed on me for 24 hrs.
Still waiting for the results.

My question is, What could this be?
I know it's a Lyme symptom, but could this be something serious?
Anybody else have this?

P.S. They checked the placement of the Picc, and it's fine.

Posts: 17 | From Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely have the tests but I can tell you just 3 days into only 200 mg of doxy I had a wopper herx which included feeling like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Pain and sweating along with all the neurological stuff too.

I still get palps as I herx and after I exercise. I am going through another round of testing too now that I am in this a bit further.

Hopefully it is just a whopper herx which means you are killing those bugaboos...

Take care!

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for all of your advice and suggestions.
I'm going to see what the holter recorded and take it from there. in the mean time if it gets any worse, I'll be back at the ER.
(that will make 6 or 7 this year!)
I'm sure all of the stress I'm under right now doesn't help.

Is there a place for Lymies, like a Lymie retreat? Some island to go and recover?

Thanks for all of your help!

Kathy D - That's exactly what it feels like sometimes!

------------------
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

hodologica
Member # 6408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hodologica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No PICC, but I used to have up to 10+ palpitations in a row (ie on consecutive heartbeats). I had thousands per day. They came and went a few times and essentially have stopped after many months of antibacterials.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement