LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Marnie-epsom salt enemas to supplement magnesium?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marnie-epsom salt enemas to supplement magnesium?
felinitie
Member # 7403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for felinitie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marnie,

I have read your wonderfully informative posts on the importance of magnesium supplementation in Lyme disease, and the difficulty getting enough orally.

For those who cannot get IV magnesium (such as myself), I was wondering if epsom salt enemas would be a good alternative?

Apparently quite a bit of magnesium is absorbed in the colon from the epsom salts.

So much can be absorbed in fact that there have been a number of deaths from hypermagnesemia following epsom salt enemas.

E.g http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/500188_1

So caution would certainly need to be exercised if using this approach.

Are you, or anyone reading this, aware of anyone who has used epsom salt enemas as a way of supplementing magnesium?

What do you think of it?

[This message has been edited by felinitie (edited 17 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by felinitie (edited 17 August 2005).]

Posts: 39 | From california | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO the following:

...Never in a million years. Bad idea.

If diarrhea...FURTHER loss of electrolytes and beneficial bacteria. Bad situation. Bad.

Not to mention the dangers of stopping breathing...relaxing the diaphram muscles too fast by overdosing Mg. (Calcium in a HOSPITAL SETTING) counters this.

BMs ONLY after meals (at LEAST once a day). More than that...likely harmful.

Maintaining Mg levels...SMALL(ish) amts.- often - appear to be the ideal. The turtle wins the race...but it's a long race. The amt. in "Slow-Mg" might not be enough.

In some instances IV Mg to perhaps "jumpstart" the balance may be beneficial, but we really don't know for sure if "a rising tide lifts all boats". It may. Can we truly "flood the system" and force it back in storage? No one knows for certain.

Is age a factor...the # of remaining mitochondria (powerhouses in the cells where Mg is bound to ATP)? Can younger people absorb more?

Mom, 86, post op (GB) given IV K and IV Mg...got diarrhea, but...for 1 year afterwards no knee arthritic pains.

Son, 25, given IV Mg and K for tachycardia. Lots. NO DIARRHEA. Tremendous improvement in not only heart situation, but also mood (neurotransmitters were kapoot).

Still...lots of rebuilding to do...this takes TIME. Does NOT happen overnight.

Hopefully as each new cell is made (2 weeks to 8 months...depending on which kind of cell), they will be "healthier".

The epsom salt baths with baking soda help my son tremendously. But...he is ***no longer infected***, is just rebuilding. (Had food poisoning as trigger and surgery, appendectomy 1 week later...not infected. Drove his beneficial flora to the bottom...weight loss, depression, etc. Was not absorbing or making nutrients.)

Now...using the above...MAY TRIGGER a significant herx when infection(s) are present and ***combining this with abx. use may be really *overdoing* it. Herx responses can be too intense. We don't want too much die-off too fast.

Go slow. The ideal is a good alkaline, low glycemic index, diet. Use good foods and good beverages as your first line of defense. Keep your antioxidant level up.

[This message has been edited by Marnie (edited 17 August 2005).]

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for felinitie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply, Marnie.

It does seem that epsom salt enemas would be too risky for all the reasons you mentioned.

I guess I'll just stick to the oral route, and epsom salt baths!

Thanks again.

Posts: 39 | From california | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering:

Amiloride?
http://www.chfpatients.com/text/diuretics.txt

I have NOT researched it in depth...side effects, etc. to determine the "safety" of this.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

I did a quick google search of Amiloride, and it does seems that it causes retention of magnesium, raising levels in the blood.

But unfortunately it also depletes sodium and folic acid and raises homocystein and potassium.

Oh well. Looked good for a minute there!

welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about epsom salt solution held in the mouth for several minutes at a time throughout the day? Uptake through the mucous membrane lining of the mouth? Significantly less uptake than the colon and a different circulatory system onramp.

????

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
felinitie
Member # 7403

Hi,

I have wondered about that method myself.

It does sppear that mg is absorbed through the membranes of the mouth, but I'm afraid the amount you ingest this way may be difficut to regulate.

See:

http://www.coldcure.com/html/fatality-gargle.pdf

I did discover this enticing method recently:

MAGNESIUM PR (that's, um, "per rectum"):

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=11

I also discovered a highly absorbable form of mg for anyone who may not have heard of it: magnesium bis-glycinate:

http://www.metagenics.com/PDF/MET806%20Mag%20Glycinate%20SS.pdf

It is sold by metagenics.

I can only take a small amount at this point because it makes me herx terribly. Don't know how I'll ever get to the levels required to treat lyme, but I can certainly confirm that it is well absorbed!

One final thing I'd like to share, about epsom salt baths.

I've been taking them for quite a while now, using only two cups in the bath because I like to take longer baths, around 1.5 -2 hours.

I was always so weak afterwards that I needed my husband to help me out of the bath.

Then I got the bright idea of rubbing the salts directly on my skin and leaving it there as I soaked.

I found that whereever I put it on my body, that area would pour sweat.

So I have been sitting up the last half hour to 45 minutes and rubbing the salts all over my upper body, arms, torso, neck, back and even face. I keep replenishing it as it washes off in the streams of sweat.

I consume about 2/3 of a gallon of water while doing this, and I also take potassium and salt tabs with vit c.

I have found that the longer I keep the epsom salt on my skin, the stronger and better I feel, and I never need help getting out of the bath anymore.

I was concerned about absorbing too much, but I haven't had a problem leaving it on even longer, so it seems quite safe.

I've concluded that this is a fantastic method of detoxing as well as a great way of getting magnesium.

Just thought I'd share!

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is info I found about using magnesium troches.
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/creativeheadachetreatment.html

Magnesium lotion http://tinyurl.com/be2wr

Magnesium lotion
http://www.springvalleyherbs.com/catalog.php?itemID=2305

Cell Wellness Restorer http://www.yourlifesource.com/cwr.htm

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement