LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » no herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no herx
kumba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kumba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.k. not that I'm looking forward to herxing...but I heard its an indication htat the buggers are billing mobilized and killed. I have been on doxy 400mg/day and no herx. My lymph node chains arent as sore, have had a bit more energy these past 2 days and I'm mispelling fewer words? the ID said about the 4th week I might feel bad...any thoughts
Posts: 145 | From NorthEast US | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YorktownNL
Member # 7657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorktownNL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on week three at 400 mg daily doxy and cannot report a significant herx response yet either. My lymph nodes and throat seem improved, facial pain reduced and headache requiring less meds to control. Stay out of the sun - My knuckles blistered driving last weekend.
Posts: 87 | From Yorktown VA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

i both "herx'd" and had an increased intracranial pressure starting within approx. 2 hours after doxy X 250mg loading dose, followed by 100mg.X b.i.d. for a total of, i think, either 21 or 42 days.

the herx gradually crescendo'd.

i started the doxy on day 6 after snapping the tick.

after finishing the course of doxy there was a "reprieve" of a sort for about 2-6 weeks,during which time frame heart symptoms developed, and unpredictably cresceno'd in intensity,and occurence; for me, they were very scary.

see Burrascano's Guidelines 1998, and 2000 for medical name for the heart Sx; they have to due, in part, with conduction problem(s).

Main point(s):

1. if infected with lyme,and the degree to which your infected, the greater the intensity of the herx.

2. Usu., after FINISHING the doxy(any abx for lyme) symptoms can appear in 4-6 weeks, the time frame in between finishing the abx regimen and the onset of symptoms and signs.

One definite explanation for the
appearance of signs and symptoms,original ones, and new ones, is a rebound of immune system functioning,the infection(s), the abx, and, if any, other meds having suppressed immune system functioning.

400mg of doxy is a whopping dose, and the ABSENCE of signs and symptoms given this dose really piques my suspicion(s) about something being quite wrong; what i don't know. I could be wrong, but...if you didn't have any by now, AND you have lyme, then i'd anticipate some real heavy symptoms starting some time AFTER you finish the regimen. i suggest asking our doc ahead of time about what to take if your Sx get real intense, whether in crescendo fashion, or sudden onset.

one explanation for little, if any signs and symptoms may be because the doxy is generic, anad NOT brand name doxy.

once reason for some,most, if not all generics are not being as effective as the brand product has to do with the 3-dimensional molecular structure(arrangement of atoms of molecules in 3D space), and the idea of 'right-handed' and 'left-handed' orientation in 3D space of atomic arrangement of the doxy molecules.

this arrangement means the difference in amount/degree/extent between effective binding, and not so effective binding to the 'bug'.

when a drug comes out of the 'hopper' the 'pile' contains about equal amounts of 'left-handly oriented' molecules and 'right-handedly oriented' molecules.
Generally, one kind of 3D atomic orientation of the molecular structure of the drug may be more efficacious than the other 3D orientation which may have little, if any therapeutic efficacy;

secondly,
thirdly, the one, or the other 3D-oriented molecule of the drug may be harmful.

in case one, and definitley in case two, the company will separate the batch into left- and right-handed orientations.

most, if not all generic drug batches out of the 'hopper' are NOT separated into two different 'piles,' one reason being the expense involved in separating them.

Generally, most, if not all brand-name drugs are separated into two batches.

i've had both generic doxy and brand name doxy, and the generic did nothing for me, but the brand-name doxy did a whopper of a job. this is MY experience with generic doxy. this may NOT be the experience of others.

consider asking your doc about instituting an enzyme like bromelain to increase the effectiveness of your abx, in light of your over-all health--other conditions, medicines, etc. i would not institute high dose enzyme(s) without first doing considerable homework on their employment, AND medical consult/supervision.

[This message has been edited by pq (edited 21 August 2005).]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure everyone has a herx. It doesn't mean you are not getting better. I never really had a significant herx but I did improve on the meds. It is hard to differentiate between a herx, a lyme symptom or a reaction to the abx.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duke77:
I am not sure everyone has a herx.

Right...some people never herx. [I have a name for those folks!! ]

The herx will most likely show up one day when you least expect it! It might be after 8 wks .. the second cycle...or maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

"Soap speech:"

In our world of "instantaneousness," we look to immediate results,the "microwave time" results, in a day(headache), or a week(tooth extraction), at the most;e.g., pain killers of whatever kind,and tend NOT to connect the intake of something that has effect(s) week(s), or more, out into the future as a result of taking a med.
E.g., rifampin and rabdomolyiasis(spell.off), or a symptoms weeks out after
finishing an abx. E.g., cardiac conduction symptoms, week(s) after finishing a regimen, or other symptoms that are a manifestation of our immune system at work, if not in overdrive.

this makes lit very difficult to differentiate between jarisch-herxheimer effects, side effects of a drug, and manifestations of healing, some of which can mean the very same thing, and others not.

main point: the temporal contiguity, the successive occurrence in time of an initial infection, or a therapy(-ies, their manifestations, esp. if the intake of something and its results are 6 weeks apart.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MNgirl
Member # 7744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MNgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was infected only about three months ago (as far as I know!). I was put on only 200mg/day of Doxy and I've been on that for two weeks with one week to go. After a misdiagnosis of Mono, they put me on Predisone, which you are never supposed to give a Lyme sufferer!

The Prednisone did nothing to help me, but the day after I started the Doxy I started feeling better. Now I'm almost 100% back to normal. No herx either, which was confusing me. From what you all are saying it sounds like I may have them later. Too bad!

K.

Posts: 7 | From MN and MO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement