LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » cold fingers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cold fingers
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my fingers have been so cold ! The only relief that I'm getting is with wearing a thick winter glove,

I recently started sepira--could this be a herx? a cruel hoax?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your thryoid tested? Could be hypothryoid.
Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Hmmm. I have been dignoses with hypothyroid. I am taking 300mg levoxyl.

We moved this summer and I haven't been to dr, for that. Good idea.
thanks

Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have raynaud's syndrome. It is when the small arteries constrict tightly in response to cold.

There are some Rx calcium channel blockers that you can take, but most people either wear mittens or take Hawthorn Berry herb.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the same problem in my hands & feet. The last few months the weather has been really warm and my hands stopped getting cold. My feel were OK as long as I didn't walk on a cold floor or let air-conditioning blow on them in the car.

Now I'm up north on vacation and the temperature has dropped. My hands are frozen along with the rest of me. This afternoon I was wearing 2 fleece jackets, a neck warmer, fleec headband and gloves. I guess its back to wearing gloves all the time again.

This cold hand problem has improved over the last year. I find I do better if I wear gloves before my hands get really cold. I have gotten all different weights of gloves since I wear them so often.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I get this really bad in my fingers and feet I take a shot of cayenne tincture in water (just slug it back and make faces). It really helps with circulation. Also red clover is good for this.

Chhers,

Ali

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had that symptom for months. Could be the lyme, could be a co-infection. With treatment it went away for me.
Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See the thread I posted about Lyme/Chemical Sensitivity. There is an explanation there of how the Lyme affects the thyroid levels.

Also see the thread regarding Iodine supplements -- needed to make the thyroid function properly -- Dr C in Missouri has found many Lymies are iodine deficient.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Raynaud's , as described above, causes cold, white fingers and toes,from blood vessel constirction, and oversensitivity to cold. When the blood vessels re-dilate, the fingers and toes turn very red, sort of rainbow-colored actually, in our expereince.

There are two kinds of Raynaud's, one is Raynaud's phenomenon and the other is Raynaud's syndrome, I think....one is "primary" meaning the main problem, and the other is "secondary" meaning it is due to another medical problem, and will go away if that problem is resolved.

Lyme, lupus and other autoimmune problems (including those triggered by Lyme), thryoid problems and probably lots of other factors can cause this.

In our experience, the Raynaud's has improved with abx. We think playing the guitar has helped too!

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was suffering badly from cold fingers and toes but seem to have found a solution for my hands.

I recently saw a product advertised in an in-flight magazine -- something called Wristies. They cover your wrists and palms but leave your fingers free for typing, driving, knitting, etc.

They're made of fleece and were developed by a 10-year-old girl who's now got a nice business selling them. I was surprised that they keep my fingers warmer, since they leave them still exposed. But they do cover the pulse points on the wrist, and I think that has a lot of benefit.

I have NO stake in the product at all but now own several pairs of them -- the long and short version. They're reasonably priced, and the company's great to deal with.

Their address is:
wristies.com

Stay warm!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Andie,

Fingers are better if I don't let them get cold.
but I may get these gloves. Been thinking about this type, but mainly seen this style in Harley biker gloves....Maybe I will get a Harley and drive away! Ha Ha

Kara-

How I love you visual aids. I am so happy and surprised when they pop up. Like a split second brain vacation.

Thanks everybody. Spring is coming. Hang in there.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Char,
If anything, people use these under their gloves as sort of extra liners...or at home.

They're fleece (did I mention that). I got a pair in a very intense purple (just to get some color in my world). I think that would be beautiful with a Harley! [Wink]

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had cold or frozen hands and feet since I got Lyme. Just the last few months (16th month of abx) I warmed up.

Sometimes a portion of my thumb or a toe would turn yellow and frozen.

Here's how I got through this symptom. Always wear heavy gloves outside. Lighter gloves when possible inside (I like fleece). Keep arms and wrists warm. A friend made me some wristies like Andie got. I also bought some cotton leg warmers on ebay. I always wear them an my ankles but when my hands where really cold I wore them on my wrists too.

During winter I used instant heaters (the kind you unwrap and they stay hot 12 hrs.)in my gloves. I would keep then on my desk at work since my hands would freeze as soon as I took my gloves off. I would rest my hands on the heaters most of the day. I bought 100 pairs when they were on sale at sierratradingpost.com (they were 88 cents a pair). Great deals on gloves too in their outlet.

Hot baths helped a lot. One time I had to soak my feet in a hot bath during a heat wave because my feet were absolutely frozen. I had trouble wearing sandals last summer since despite the heat any breeze would freeze my toes!

Sometimes my hands would get shriveled and prunelike. I often felt like my hands had been dehydrated. I always drank lots of water. Finally the symptom went away. Hooray. I think it was yet another Lyme thing.

Hoping you warm up soon,
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my feet were really cold I'd sprinkle cayenne powder in my Uggs. Worked for me.

I would not use it in gloves! For cold fingers I let hot water run over my hands for a bit.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fingers and toes get very cold (my hands and feet, too) and when I run them under warm water they HURT like pins and needles.

About two years ago, I took something out of the freezer and looked down to see some of my fingers completely white! They were also numb. This came out of the blue...before then I just had cold fingers and toes.

Turns out to be Reynaud's...perhaps from Lyme or some other autoimmune disorder (been diagnosed with Fibro which could mean anything).

Keep fingers covered with gloves when it is cold out and stay away from touching cold things without gloves.

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for this thread. It's exactly what I needed to read.

New tick bites 5/05. By August I'm having hand and feet problems. In Dec I was waking up in the night with horrific pain in my hands. The worse lyme pain I've felt in 6 yrs. My alternative doc has helped some with the really bad pain. But he hasn't been able to make it go away.

My internist doc is involved now. Especially since I also have a recurring bite site from one of those ticks that turns from scar to tick bite every 30 days. There's got to be connection.

Take care, Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I had cold hands- feet all the time--
Hands would go totally numb

After a few months of including Babs
treatment the cold hands-numbness-
and tingles are gone--

Having one co infection can
make you 3 times as sick--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I am killing babesia/lyme my extremeties get very cold, fingers, toes and even eyes. Early symptom of lyme for me was occasional bouts of Raynaud's in my fingers. Even moved my computer away from the window due to cold air causing spasms in fingers which then turned blue and went numb.
lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymelady!

I have had the cold eyeballs, too. Not too bad, but they are cold now just thinking of it.

So validating, I thought I was alone with my freezing little eyes.

I hate putting my hands under cold water, and now that I am getting out and about, I can tell you which public bathrooms have the hottest and quickest to get warm hot water faucets.
Our Border's is good. Dr. office is not so great.

When my hands are cold, deep pressure pushing on them or tight gloves feel good and it seems more like painy tingling than cold, but cold.

Glad to hear that this gets better with treatment.

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shar
Member # 2619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just researched more info I ever thought i would on thyroid problems, because i just HAD thyroid cancer...300mg of levoxyl is a huge dose.

I am still VERY HYPO (tsh 44 amd climbing last Friday) and they put me on 150 Synthroid, I started on Tuesday. The generic levoxyl, often causes tsh level changes and you may not be responding to whatever is in the batch you are taking.

Maybe you are hypo. I am and I am freezing!!! I also have nueropathy, so hot pads and baths makes it worse. Get checked...this is nothing to mess around with.

Best to you...sorry, i for got your name!!! (SUE?)

Posts: 52 | From Arizona , USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big B
Member # 8229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cold fingers? Sounds like me. Of course, I get a really warm core temperature, but freezingly cold extremeties, so I would like to walk around in shorts, no shirt, and heavy gloves.

I'm 21. My youthful vanity won't allow it.

As far as the source of the problem, it could be Lyme, it could be amalgam illness.

Could be both.

The question is, are you better off heating up your hands with gloves or letting them adjust to the cold temp? I like to go as long as I can gloveless to 'train' them before protecting them. I live in the mildly cold climate of Pittsburgh, so if you're living in northern Minnesota forget 'training.'

Posts: 45 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement