LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Brain Swelling - Relapse Waaaaaaaaah!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brain Swelling - Relapse Waaaaaaaaah!
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well gang, it looks like my abx free days may be over. After 10 months of being off abx, I seem to have been hit with some intercranial swelling. Feels like my brain is too big for my head near the top and back.

I had an MRI when I started treatment in March. 04, and it showed a lesion of unspecified origin in that area.

I've gone for 2 sessions of Micro Current Therapy to relieve the pain and pressure. It has to some degree, but the pain persists. And now my blood pressure has been creeping up into not good levels, despite being on a beta blocker. (Which came first, the high bp or the pain... not sure).

I've had to increase Toprol from 50mg to 100mg a day just to stay in the safe limits.

My biggest fear is that this is not lyme related, and that something far worse (yes, there are worse things) is going on up there. The pressure at times is so great I am nauseous, and the only relief I get is from Advil, herbal anti-inflammatories, ice packs, or remaining horizontal.

My LLMD wants me to go back on Rifampin. I am going in a little while to request another MRI or other tests to rule out scary stuff.

Is there anything I could possibly do to avoid going back on abx (but relieve the pain, and not let this get any worse?) Cranial pain (and dizziness) was one of my first and worst symptoms. So far, nothing else seems to have come back.

This soooooo sucks because I have been living quite the normal life since the beginning of the year.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie, so sorry to read about what is happening to you. I have no knowledge in this area, but bringing up to top for others to see & respond to. Best wishes.

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie, I don't know what being on antibiotics was like for you. But after years of being ill, and only a few of treatment, one thing is clear to me.

If antibiotics will keep my symptoms under control, I will take them as long as I have to. Forever, if necessary. Ten years of increasingly worse symptoms, with no clue as to how to stop them, has convinced me that there are worse things than a lifetime of antibiotics.

Now, that is only useful if they actually do some good, and the side effects are not too bad. But I've been watching folks for a while, and for some, it looks like keeping things under control might be more successful than trying to go off, and then have to play catch up.

It's just something to think about. I've learned a lot about it as Li've learned how to control my pain. I used to try to tough it out, only take my pain meds once things got bad. Now I've learned that it works much better to stay ahead of the pain, to anticipate it, and take meds BEFORE I need them.

I suspect it may be the same with these infections. If we can stay ahead of them, instead of waiting till they are bad, it may go easier with us, and in the long run we may need less treatment overall.

Whatever you end up needing to do, I hope that you get some relief soon. It's somehow scarier to me when it has to do with my head, guess I'm overidentified there. I hope you get some answers soon, and relief even sooner.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie, I used to get severe head pressure, and pain behind my eye.

Had been to the e.r. many times in the past from the pressure, and thinking each time it was due to h.b.p.. I never had trouble with h.b.p. before my neuro. crap started!

I have been on lisiniprol for h.b.p. for a while now! The pressure did not always correlate with b.p.. My b.p. would get extremely high, even on b.p. meds..

My b.p. is fine now, but need to watch if it gets too low.

Years back, when I saw the first neuro.. He told me if it was m.s., that it would be low.

I found out from a friend of mine who's husband still has the same doctor for m.s. that he was also hospitalized with h.b.p. before seeing this neuro..

I think with lyme...it can go either way!
Mine got better with time and treatment.
Make sure it's from the lyme even though!

I didn't take anything for the pressure in my head, and thought at times my eardrums would explode!

Isn't this kinda like vasculitis? Inflammation of the blood vessels to the brain?

Hope this helps a little, and hope you feel better soon!

Do you know how long you've had lyme? Did you go off because you were symptom free for three months?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 9 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Julie.

Sorry to hear about the relapse. I hope things work out well with the doc.

Turmeric and Ginger are good anti-inflammatory herbs that you can safely incorporate into your diet, and I think that extra vitamin c would help as well.

Let me know how things go.

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all sooooooooo much for your support.

And don't I feel like the horse's petuti...

And I now actually worship the ground my LLMD walks on. I loved her before - I idolize her now. She's the top dog in NJ, and I'm so lucky to be so close.(Despite having to 2 wait almost 2 hours to see her.)

My appointment was a little while after I posted this morning.

We went through the symptoms, and what led up to it... She then walks over to me with a new lotion I never heard of. And poked on the back of my head where I used to get horrific muscle spazms (and hence, horrible horrible head pain).

She pushes in with her knuckle, and says "Does this hurt?"

Holy crap!! I had no idea that it was so sore there. She says 'The head pain is referred pain. You've got the trigger points again. Even your arm muscles are twitching. Your blood pressure is also high, despite increased bp meds.'

She then says that she thinks that by waiting so long for my IM Magnesium shots, I was severely depleted, and suggests an IV Magnesium. My BP dropped from 138/92 to 128/80 after the IV, and my head pain is almost gone.The pain has now moved down to my shoulders on a much lesser scale.

I'll be learning how to give myself weekly IM Magnesium injections instead of waiting every 4 weeks. And I was shown how to accupressure the trigger points out of my head.

If my head still aches in 4 weeks, I'll be getting an MRA. But she really thinks this is my real problem.

So once again, Marnie is sooooo right. Gotta get magnesium into the cells.

I'm still on Cat's Claw, but will be remaining off traditional abx. River, I agree with you, and if I have to be on maintenance abx, so be it. But I'd really like to get to the point where I could actually go off acidophillus. I still take 3 capsules 3 times a day. Anything less and my stomach is a mess.

Lymeloco I had Lyme undiagnosed for 10 years. Got rebit 2 years ago and picked up Bartonella. Walked around with Bart for 9 months until I finally went to see my LLMD. (hence, my screen name, because I felt like I had been there and back).

My LLMD weaned me off abx after adding in Cat's Claw about 6 months into treatment because I had progressed so well. Very very gradual process. No, I was not symptom free, but I was approaching 'normal' most of the time.

I've been feeling 'normal' for the last 6 months, and have been getting IM Magnesium injections about every 3 weeks since early May. I still have a little herx each month, which mostly consists of being a little tired and my bp and pulse tend to be higher.... which could very well be hormone related.

Thanks again all... and I'll try to post more often instead of just lurking like I usually do lately.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 10 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, glad you are doing better!

Kudos to Dr. E and to Marnie! I can't wait to see my Mg test results!

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walnut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie,

This sounds like the headaches I get. My headaches will get so bad that my vision blurrs and my speach becomes slurred to the point noone can understand what I am saying.

I have found that massaging the back of the neck helps relieving the head pressure. Start at the based on the head and work down to the shoulders on each side of the spine.

Posts: 187 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you found something that is helping!

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie, did you ever have any metals problems? I have constant head pressure, hence my moniker, and also have metals toxicity.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

I have found cranio-sacral therapy to be invaluable for those kinds of symptoms. the problem though is it can get pretty expensive and also to find someone who is very well practiced in it.

After I had this done a lot my neuro lyme symtoms disappated (I didn't get lost trying to find my own house).

Alison

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foggy - I've never been tested for metals, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I have 6 old fillings that are no doubt mercury.

I used the foot detox patches every day for over a year. I still use them 3-4 nights a week.

Let's hope the magnesium continues to work it's magic. Now that I know where the pain is coming from, I can manage it. Guess it's time for another deep tissue massage. It's a relief to feel normal again.

------------------
Julie G.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement