LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Insomnia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insomnia
LymeinNJ
Member # 7805

Icon 5 posted      Profile for LymeinNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have tips for warding off the wonders of Lyme insomnia? I've tried several meds, but need something else.

Thanks!

Posts: 44 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have pretty awful insomnia. The only thing that is completely reliable in sending me to sleep is temazepam, which I take reluctantly. I haven't found any natural sleep aids that keep me asleep -- melatonin and some of the homeopathich (moondrops) and naturopathich (valarian/hops/passionflower) help me go to sleep, but I tend to wake up after 3 hours.

I've just discovered that Ketek seems to have been a major cause of insomnia for me. I've switched to taking it in the am rather than the pm, and have started sleeping much better.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ativan is my favorite sleep med but I also use xanax and remeron.

I just switched from Bicillin and ketek to Bicillin and tinidazole. Maybe i'll start to sleep better????? I always took ketek in the am.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bad case too, but sleep well with neurontin [600mg], trazodone [250mg], flexeril [10mg], melatonin [6mg], and Ambien if I need it.

I really take the flexiril to keep my sciatic nerve situation under control, but I understand it also helps with sleep.

If you buy melatonin, be sure to get timed-released. Source Naturals is a good brand.

And stay away from caffeine, especially after 2 or 3 pm.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green Darkness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who sleeps anymore once you have lyme????
No one.
I've had this since 2001; been on Trazadone in beginning--now it kills my stomach-which happens with everything. I just listen to tapes sent to me from
Carniege Lib in Pitts for the Handicapped and Blind(as this stuff has made me have a lot of eye damage); I fall back to sleep, but haven't slept well in years.
Hope we all get sleep someday; I imagine I'll have some relief when I die maybe, but can't sleep now.

Posts: 560 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Source Naturals 3 mg time released Melatonin helps me ........... better than befor but still not full night. Time release is important!

Tincup told me about this and itis what I am doing.....tried lots of other nast drugs which didn't help much anyway.

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently was forced to start backing off the ambien/lunesta, as I was taking more and more, and getting lots of nasty side effects. First, a lot of my insomnia was caused by bartonella, so rifampin/ketek has helped. But also, I was surprised that four valerian capsules, 6 mg melatonin, and one lunesta actually work. Although I sometimes still wake up once during the night, it turns out the sleeping pills were acting as depressants, which just makes insomnia worse. So I just do the dishes or some reading, and go back to sleep in an hour.

Also, chelated magnesium and calcium sometimes help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JavaBeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JavaBeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone gone "beyond" insomnia...and can't sleep without the help of sleep meds? I don't have the chronic pain which would cause for irregular sleep, just alot of neuro stuff.

Had some recent test on neurotransmitter and everything came back pretty squashed..hormones levels, serotonin, adrenals...and SPECT scan showed alot of probs on left side of brain with blood flow.

I used to be able to sleep 1-3 hours on my own, but can't do that anymore. Not alot of luck with the natural aids, (but am interested in time released melatonin..)anyone been this far off the sleep pattern and found it to get better?

Tried ambien, lunesta, restoril and am trying a suggestion by lymetoo on trazodone(separately)..but not alot of luck, get maybe 4 hours tops. For those with success, how did you find the 'combo" that worked for you?

JavaBeing

Posts: 208 | From Portland, OR USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep? . . . What is this thing you call sleep? [Smile]

Because of my stupid Lymebrain, I only remembered a few days ago that when I was using detox foot pads, I had tremendous wonderful sleeps. I put two on -- one one each foot -- and my quality of sleep improved greatly. A totally unexpected but great side effect.

Whereas usually I can't fall asleep until between 4 AM and 7 AM, and then it's like being knocked unconscious and the next thing I know I'm awake again. Arrrgh.

So I just ordered some and this is my first night using them again. I also got today the End Fatigue "Revitalizing Sleep Formula", which has in it Valerian, Passionflower, L-Theanine, Hops, Wild Lettuce, and Jamaica Dogwood in it.

I got this from the Fatigued to Fantastic guy's website. We'll see how it works.

I can't take any narcotic sleep aids. Also, trazadone gives me gnarly nightmares and stops working after only a few days. OTC stuff is the same.

One thing about prescription narcotic sleep aids is that they can stop working after awhile and/or you need more to get you to sleep, and they can have side effects. They're meant for more short-term insomnia -- with Lyme, sleep disturbance is long-term. Arrrgh.

A.

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Java...found my combo by trial and error. I don't do much sleeping without it. I hate that!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 6 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanax  -

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allison, Which detox foot pads are you using, please?

A long time ago when one of my dx's was CFS, I followed Dr. Paul Cheney's recommendation for sleep, as I was having a very difficult time. It has worked for about 20 years: 1 mg. of Klonopin with 1 teaspoon of Doxipen Elixer. Do not use the pill; it must be the elixer...don't know why. You go to 15 on the dropper and put it in a little water. Rarely fails to work. Sometimes I need to take .5 Ativan also.

tj

--------------------
tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see...the ones I was using before were Kinokatara brand. I think. My spelling may be way off. Maybe Kintotakara. Anyhoo . . .

The ones I just got this week were from the company that Scott recommended. Healthmarvels.net. I loved their prices and their service is way above par.

I noticed that these foot pads are smaller than the ones I had before, quite a lot smaller. But they have all the good ingredients that the other ones had (plus a couple more).

Cheers,

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeinNJ
Member # 7805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have started Rozerem since posting this question. It is a new class of sleeping meds which just hit the market. The last 2 out of 3 nights, I had semi-regular sleep for the first time in 2+ months. Last night was so good that I actually worked my first 8 hour day in months.

Hope this might work for others.

Posts: 44 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement