LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Advice On Cyst Busters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Advice On Cyst Busters
briteeyes30
Member # 7742

Icon 5 posted      Profile for briteeyes30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very worried

Yesturday I read something about rocephin turning the lyme bacteria into cyst form. It also said when in cyst form the Abx do nothing to it. Well last night I was in the live chat at 8pm on the lyme disease audi network.

I brought this to the attention of the chat. Many responded by saying yes and thats why a cyst buster is given at the same time as well. One lady was saying that most Abx cause the bacteria to go into cyst form. Thats why the cyst busterare given.

Well austin doesn't take a cyst buster. Why didn't Dr J put him on one if he knew that it can turn into cyst form and nothing would happen to it? I am going to call Dr J on tuesday to ask that austin be put on one.

Posts: 78 | From Port Jervis, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly can't hurt to discuss it with the doctor.

Flagyl and tindazole (something like that) are two cyst busters. Tindazole is supposedly easier on the system than flagyl, but let those who have used it comment, as I haven't been on either of these yet.

If he does prescribe them, it will likely be on a pulsed-dose- a day or two per week, or somthing like that.

Be sure to watch for side effects.

Good Luck!

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes in most cases of late more and more llmd's are using azoles as cyst busters...flagyl(metronidazole) is most common...some use it on weekends at two 500mg doses.....

good luck........zman...however be aware that these type of meds can and often do cause lethargy(depression) and can sometimes cause neurapathy...I already had both before going on this med so...just made things a little worse till I found out about the lethargy......

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 3 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
briteeyes,

This is true. Need to be on a cyst buster. I have been on Flagyl...caused neuro problems...wouldn't recommend. Now on Tinidazole (Tindamax) and seem to have less side effects. The only draw back with Tini that my LLMD said is that is is more expensive than Flagyl, but after what Flagyl has done to me, I say it is well worth the money.

My 2 cents.

Best wishes.

jloisu

--------------------
jloisu

Posts: 197 | From Seeing Lyme Green in Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long has your son been treated?

I don't think Flagyl (or Tinidazole) are used early in treatment.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes doc waits to see how the patient responds before adding cyst busters and other meds.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocephin is hard on the liver and so is Flagyl. Personally I would not want to take these at the same time. Not sure how Tinidazole compares as far as the liver is concerned.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
briteeyes30
Member # 7742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for briteeyes30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your advice. Austin began treatment on july 15th, he started on rocephin alone. After finding Dr J he requested an ultrasound of gall bladder due to the pains he was having.

Well Dr J ended up switching meds Aug 17th due to sludge being found. Austin now takes Claforan and zithro. Dr J put him on calforan for 2 mons and the zithro is for 7 mons.

When his meds were switched he started to herx pretty bad so Dr J took him off for two days no meds, then 4 days with half doses, then if ok back to full meds.

He is currently doing good. He is showing improvement. With some exceptions of pain here and there. Though I think his neuro troubles are not going away.

Yesturday he closed the refrig door on his nose. How he did that I do not know. All I know was that he was screaming. He said he thought he moved his head outta the way, then closed the door pretty quick and got himself pretty good.

His moods can get unbearable at times. Hard to get him out of them.

Posts: 78 | From Port Jervis, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot take azoles (like Flagyl), so I am using generic Plaquenil for cyst-busting.

It is an anti-malarial drug that can open the cysts and help ABX get more readily into the cells.

Steph

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement