LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lack of Sweating May Indicate Iodine Deficiency!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lack of Sweating May Indicate Iodine Deficiency!
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 4 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copied from http://www.helpmythyroid.com/iodine.htm

Many more articles on iodine at this site.

A cheap way to test for iodine deficiency is to buy a bottle of iodine at a drug store or maybe even at a grocery store. Use a cottonball to paint a patch on the skin about the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece. Inside the forearm is a good place. If the patch stays there for less than 24 hours you are iodine deficient. Many alternative medical doctors do this test in their office.

Hubby's patch was gone before a recent 1 1/2 hour doctor appt was over. Confirmed by the challenge test offered through this doctor's lab as 20% of normal iodine levels.

Bea Seibert

Contact Information :

Jorge D. Flechas, M.D.

#80 Doctors Drive Suite 3

Hendersonville, NC 28792

Office: (828) 684-3233

Fax: (828) 684-3253

Iodine Insufficiency FAQ

Does everyone need iodine supplementation?

Iodine supplementations should be prescribed only if indicated by the results of iodine testing. Iodine testing kits may be ordered from my office (1-877-900-5556) by individuals or by health care professionals.

If ordered by an individual, test results will be returned to the individual; if ordered by a health care provider, test results will be returned to the health care provider and to the individual. A cost of $75 per kit covers the cost of the testing kit, testing services, and return postage (charges for additional postage will apply if mailed to location outside the U.S.).

A urine iodine spot test was developed by the World Health Organization and looks for iodine sufficiency to prevent goiter. This test is now offered through our office for an additional ($25) twenty five dollars.

Why is iodine deficiency common in the United States?

We first need to note that the body produces no iodine, and there is no organ other than the thyroid that can store large quantities of iodine.

In some areas of the US, including mountain regions, the Mississippi River Valley, the Ohio River Valley, and the Great Lakes regions, the soil has always had a very low iodine content. But even in other areas of once iodine-rich soil, over farming has frequently depleted this iodine content. Hence, we no longer get adequate iodine via the plants we consume.

To compensate for this, iodine was added to salt, bread, and milk. Today iodine is no longer added to bread or to milk, and the amount of iodine added to salt has steadily declined over the years. All of these factors contribute to the current prevalence of iodine deficiency in the United States.

How does iodine deficiency manifest itself?

Research work has shown that iodine deficiency in the thyroid presents as a thyroid goiter (enlargement of the thyroid). In those areas of the world where iodine deficiency is very high, such as in Switzerland and in certain areas of Asia and Africa, there are also higher incidents of thyroid cancer.

Iodine is also concentrated by breast tissue, and a lack of iodine in the breasts manifests as fibrocystic breast disease (painful breasts with nodules and cysts and often more symptomatic prior to menstrual periods). 93% of American women have fibrocystic breast disease and the longer this disease exists, the higher the potential risk for development of breast cancer.

20% of all iodine in the human body is stored in the skin, specifically in the sweat glands. Lack of iodine in the sweat glands manifests as dry skin with a decreased ability to sweat.

Iodine can also be concentrated in the stomach tissue, and the lack of iodine in the stomach manifests as achlorhydria (lack of digestive acid production). Iodine is used by the stomach cells, also known as parietal cells, to concentrate chloride which is necessary to produce hydrochloric acid (digestive acid). With the prolonged presence of achlorhydria, there is a much higher incidence of stomach cancer.

Iodine is concentrated in the lacrymal glands of the eye, and a lack of iodine can cause dry eyes. Iodine can also be concentrated in the parotid and submandibular glands of the mouth, and iodine deficiency here can result in dry mouth.

Iodine can be concentrated in the ovaries, and Russian studies done some years ago showed a relationship between iodine deficiency and the presence of cysts in the ovaries. The greater the iodine deficiency, the more ovarian cysts a woman produces. In its extreme form, this condition is known as polycystic ovarian disease.

Is there enough Iodine in our salt?

When people go shopping for salt they will notice there is iodized salt verses regular salt. This is also true for sea salt that is plain sea salt verses sea salt with iodine. There is more iodine in iodized table salt that there is in plain sea salt, which contains very little iodine to start with.

Quite frequently we see articles in the local press showing that there is a high amount of iodine in salt and we need to reduce the total amount of salt because of the potential damage from iodine. However, during the last National Nutritional Survey called the NHANES III from 1988 - 1994, the study revealed that 15% of the U>S> adult female population suffered from iodine insufficiency where this was defined as a urine iodine level 60 meq per liter.

Another misconception that is out on the market is that high consumption of iodized salt helps prevent iodine deficiency. The fact is that iodized salt contains 74meg of iodine per gram of salt. The purpose of iodization of salt was to prevent goiter and cretinism and was never meant for optimal iodine requirements by the human body.

An example of this would be the ingestion of iodine in order to control fibrocystic breast disease that is a level of five milligrams of iodine per day. In this particular case one would need to consume 68 grams of salt.

In Japan, the Japanese population has an intake of around 13.8 milligrams of iodine per day. Among the population of the Earth, the Japanese have the lowest prevalence and incidence of female reproductive organ cancer in their tissues.

Can I use seaweed purchased from the grocery store to supplement my body with iodine?

Seaweed sold in the United States has a tremendous variation in the amount of iodine content. In Japan, the average Japanese eats around 13.8 mg of iodine per day with the vast majority of that iodine coming from seaweed that has been specifically grown and cultured to maximize iodine trapping in the seaweed. To my knowledge, this particular type of seaweed is not being sold in the United States at the present time.

What about iodine and aging?

As most of us know, hypertension (high blood pressure) often becomes an issue as we age. Because of this, many are being told that they need to decrease the total amount of salt in their diet. However, we must realize that most people over age 60 are becoming depleted of iodine due to the lack of iodine in the diet and that this particular group of individuals is also the group with the highest occurrence of thyroid nodules and goiters.

Also of interest is that 25% of the people in this age category will become senile as a result of low thyroid (hypothyroidism). Iodine supplementation may alleviate these iodine-related maladies, but iodine testing and thyroid studies such as a thyroid ultrasound and thyroid lab tests should be conducted prior to beginning iodine supplementation therapy.

Can Iodine be used while a woman is pregnant?

In Japan, the average Japanese woman is eating 13.8 mg of iodine per day while the average American woman consumes 100 times less iodine per day (approximately 0.138 mg per day). For iodine supplementation, I have been prescribing Iodoral, a product made by the Optimox Corporation. Iodoral contains a 12.5 mg combination of iodine/iodide per tablet.

Iodine is very crucial in the first three years of life from the development of the fetus inside the womb until two years after birth. In the development of a child's IQ, I feel that it would be very advantageous for the mother to supplement her diet during pregnancy and, if she is nursing the child, for the first two years after pregnancy.

What happens to thyroid hormone production in the presence of iodine supplementation?

Iodine supplementations should be prescribed only when iodine testing indicates iodine deficiency. Iodine testing kits can be ordered from my office (828 684 3233) by individuals or by medical practitioners.

Traditional medical literature indicates that patients who have thyroid nodules or thyroid goiter may have the potential to develop hyperthyroidism when supplementing with iodine. Hence, before commencing iodine supplementation, it would be advantageous for a person to have their primary care doctor order a thyroid ultrasound to rule out the possibility of pre-existing goiter or thyroid nodules.

The primary care doctor should also order thyroid lab work (to be used as a baseline) before prescribing iodine therapy and this lab work should be repeated and followed at regular intervals during the patient's iodine therapy.

For iodine therapy patients not also on thyroid hormone replacement therapy, adjustments to the iodine therapy should be made if signs of hyperthyroidism should occur. Should signs of hyperthyroidism occur in patients who are taking thyroid hormone replacement therapy as well as taking iodine supplementation, the physician should first recommend an adjustment in the thyroid hormone therapy rather than in the iodine supplementation.

This adjustment in therapy is recommended because iodine is required not only by the thyroid but is required for the proper functioning of many other tissues. The presence of pre-existing thyroid nodules or goiter does not preclude the patient from iodine supplementation therapy.

In fact, in the extensive research with iodine therapy done in my office, I have seen many case of pre-existing thyroid nodules and goiter shrink in the presence of iodine therapy.

Copyright � 2004-2005 Flechas Family Practice

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one, not too sultry summer, i sweated profusely on the ENTIRE left-hand side of my body, including...; sweating on the right side was normal for the given temp. and humidity.
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taking Kelp for Iodine but was concerned about the Mercury content in the Kelp (25 ppm). Anyone been warned about this?
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy my Iodoral from www.illnessIsOptional.com

1-888-794-4325

I would say ALOT of the general public needs this supplementation.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foggy,

25ppm Hg in kelp 'may' be 'normal' daily intake, a reflection of superior testing methods, although i really don't know for sure.

Secondly, i had reactions to kelp, in that i noticed an increased warmness, slight tingling, and, generally, an increased 'consciousness of the presence of the lower left side of my neck, and diminishing in intensity going up the lhs of my neck. the thyroid is near the base of the neck.
had behavior, and perhaps mood Sx, as well.

these went away when i stopped the kelp.

i had eaten kelp on an irregular basis.

thyroid test panel indicative of lyme dis.( T3 =low,but not that low; T4 = high, also high TBG. don't know if lyme affects the latter indicator.

i doubt its the Hg causing the Sx in my case. More so the increase Iodine content and my thyroid gland and other endo. structs., and Bb reacting to it.

i never had kelp prior to tick bite, so i have no basis for comparison of affects of kelp.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

there one or more good essays on sski, its history, uses, and on iodine, in general at,
http://www.tahoma-clinic.com

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sski?? what is it? I knew Tahoma had an article and I was looking for it this morning, but couldn't find it. Would you post it, please, pq.

By the way, I inquired years ago about kelp. Dr. K's answer - there is no clean kelp.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Gigi,

SSKI? these are the latin initials for potassium iodide (KI).

i don't know what the letters 'SS' mean, but teh KI would speak for itself.

here is teh link:
http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/iodide.shtml

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potassium iodide (KI) is a salt, similar to sodium chloride (NaCI), normal table salt.

KI is available in pill form or dissolved in water as a

supersaturated

potassium iodide (SSKI) solution.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for James.
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the iodine spot test last night and it seems to have faded into an almost nothing stain long before the 24 hours is up.

It also now itches where I painted on the spot. I wonder if that means anything?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idoral is the best supplement for this, I take 4 a day. Every cell in the body needs Iodine.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foggy - re: question about mercury in kelp...

Troubled Waters

Mercury Build-Up in the Seas: Where it Comes From and What It's Doing to the Food Chain

By Katherine Czapp

"According to the Marine Technology Society, brown seaweeds, such as kelp, contain fucoidan and algin, which have been shown to remove lead, mercury, cadmium, barium, tin and other heavy metals from tissues.20

Seaweeds also help remove radioactive isotopes from the body. Using seaweeds both as a condiment and at least several times a week as a vegetable (so that you consume a half-cup serving) is necessary for chelating action to take place."

---

This is a very good article about mercury if anyone is interested:

http://www.westonaprice.org/envtoxins/troubledwaters.html

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

up
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLD just gave me a super sized laundry detergent looking orange bottle to pee in to check for iodine. I didn't ask her much about it, but clearly it is something she is looking into.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the iodine patch test is a complete hoax several times.

Tracy9, you're doing the 24 hr load urine iodine test. I'm guessing you took 50 mg of Iodoral prior to collecting urine.

Because I'm SO cold now every day, I may try taking 12.5 mg of Iodoral daily. I wasn't going to, but desperation leads you to new things.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know coldness was a sign of iodine deficiency.. I am always cold. I have Lugol's here that I do not take religiously.. is Lugol's OK?

Is there a preferred urine iodine test or is that a standard lab test?

Thank you.

Robin

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the following link especially about over doing potassium iodine:

http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=18659

quote:
In his ongoing campaign to educate the public about the various issues regarding the Thyroid gland, in part because Oprah Winfrey did a show about the issue and which contained some bad information, Byron Richards, CCN, author of ``The Leptin Diet: How Fit is Your Fat?'', writes about the ``Nutritional Needs for Thyroid Hormone.''

``The nutritional requirements to support the healthy function of thyroid hormone are poorly understood. A main reason why you may have the symptoms of poor thyroid function is a lack of nutrients that are vital for the normal function of thyroid hormone. Nutrient deficiencies place a major stress on the thyroid gland itself, helping to lock in sluggish and inefficient metabolism of calories.

``Various nutrients are needed to form thyroid hormone, activate thyroid hormone, and protect the thyroid and liver during this process.

``I have tried to make this easy for people by designing nutritional products that provide the most needed nutrients. Thyroid Helper is a mix of tyrosine, selenium, manganese, guggul, and Ashwaganda, our top product for thyroid support. Iosol Iodine is the best iodine supplement you can find. Daily Energy Multiple Vitamin features high levels of co-enzyme B12, folic acid, and B6, along with important krebs cycle bionutrients and magnesium. This type of quality is seldom found in a multiple vitamin. These products form core nutritional support for thyroid function.

``Tyrosine:
Tyrosine is an amino acid that converts to dopamine and norepinephrine with the help of vitamin B6 and vitamin C. Norepinephrine is a sympathetic nerve neurotransmitter that is the stimulus for your subconscious brain (hypothalamus and pituitary) to activate the production of thyroid hormone in the first place (TRH and TSH).

``Brain levels of leptin act as a traffic cop, regulating the amount of norepinephrine allowed to stimulate the production of thyroid (leptin bases this on the adequacy of stored fat - a perception that is often faulty). Norepinephrine-transmitting nerves are also wired directly to the thyroid gland, which act as a catalyst to get the thyroid moving.
Supplemental tyrosine is well known to promote brain activation, mental clarity, and better mood. Tyrosine is also the central molecule of thyroid hormone (four iodine molecules are attached to one tyrosine to make thyroxine, T4).

``Iodine
Iodine is absolutely vital for the formation of thyroid hormone in the thyroid gland. Adequate iodine is also needed to block various compounds from binding to the thyroid (fluoride, perchlorate, goitrogens in food). Iodine is also needed to assist the metabolism of estrogen in a healthy way (high estrogen blocks thyroid function) and iodine is needed to assist various hormone receptors throughout the body to work properly. Iodine is essential for brain function and intelligence.

``I rely on a product called Iosol Iodine for needed iodine supplementation. I like it because ammonium iodine rapidly dissociates and forms free iodide, the exact form your body needs (1.8 mg a drop). By comparison, Lugols and Iodoral contain the potassium salt of iodine which I don't feel is as efficiently metabolized. Many people use up to 5 drops of Iosol per day (if it can be observed that it helps the person warm up and sustain energy), I would never recommend 25 - 50 mg of a potassium iodide containing supplement.

``In fact, I won't put potassium iodide in any supplement I design. One cause of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is excessive potassium iodine from sea vegetables like kelp, which is how the problem was first discovered. This means that potassium iodine has been shown to clog the thyroid gland and shut it down on too much intake. I have never seen such a problem from Iosol in two decades of use.

``Thyroid hormone (T4) is composed of four molecules of iodine attached to one molecule of tyrosine. A lack of either nutrient makes it difficult to form thyroid hormone.''

About Byron Richards, CCN:
Byron J. Richards, Founder/Director of Wellness Resources, is a Board-Certified Clinical Nutritionist, a charter professional member of the International and American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists (IAACN) since 1991. He is a nationally-renowned health expert, radio personality, and educator. He is the creator and pioneer of The Leptin Diet� and has been a featured expert consultant on Fox News Live, CBS Infinity television (national syndication), and The Wall Street Journal. Richards has appeared on hundreds of radio programs throughout the country.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Up for Clint
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Up

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement